ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Gearing Up for the Season!

I don't think anyone is saying it's bad thing. Just wondering how they're doing it. Now you gave some reasons, but I still don't think that explains the # of kids that they have got with the talent level. Adhir obviously can work magic when it comes to recruiting. I mean he did it at MA too. Multiple ST Francis kids transferred to MA while he was there: Malik Johnson, Andre Bishop. At the end of the day he makes great connections and kids want to play for him.

I will say this, if he is as good of a Football coach as everyone thinks, there is no excuse for Riordan not to have a deep playoff run this year. Honestly I thought they underperformed at 3-7 last year. I know it was his first year, but like you said Tyrone Jackson (Power 5 offers) Zachary Jones (UC Davis commit), and other dudes were already there and Riordan got shut out multiple games, and struggle to score points in other games as well.
Yes exactly. No one is pointing the finger at them saying this seems shady. If Riordan has found the secret sauce how to get kids/families from all over to come play for them then so be it. As far as we know all these kids are good kids, excelling in the classroom, and not getting into any trouble. Cross those lines and then the public can start being critical.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Riordan had some solid starters last year, but many played both ways and when they got banged up, the lack of depth really showed. Serra and SF's success not only has very good starters but a strong bench. (I.e. Missile out for the season and Serra still played for a State title.). As far as Ravipati's coaching credentials, he did lead a public school to a State Title. As he stated in his interview, Ravipati's focus is providing the players the best opportunities to go on to college by focusing on their studies, building their character, providing exposure to college recruiters and with that, college offers and wins should follow.

Reactions: ARHS92
How do you go from 3-7 to attracting athletes from out of state? It’s not hard to figure out. Red Flags for sureHoops team had a benches clearing brawl with this model. A 3 years from now they may have 40 D1 athletes in the program. Can’t keep them all happy.

How do you go from 3-7 to attracting athletes from out of state? It’s not hard to figure out. Red Flags for sureHoops team had a benches clearing brawl with this model. A 3 years from now they may have 40 D1 athletes in the program. Can’t keep them all happy.
Who is the pair of 4 stars they are now bringing in from Texas? Saw it somewhere on Twitter.

Who is the pair of 4 stars they are now bringing in from Texas? Saw it somewhere on Twitter.
Huh!? It's funny because Coach Adhir has been posting the purple umbrella emoji. I was thinking there basically like a college program now, where the coaching staff will post the team slogan or logo when a recruit commits.

Riordan is learning that they have to compete with Serra who brought in a ton of transfers from all over the bay area and Sacramento over the past few years and still got killed by the two SoCal teams. Riordan is probably just gearing up to trying and compete with Serra and SoCal, who are all bringing in transfers from all over the place.

I don't see a problem with what any of these schools are doing. Competition is the name of the game.

Coach Adhir is just really good at what he is doing. Same can be said about Serra, Bosco, and Mater Dei. I think what Adhir is really doing is making mental midgets very mad because some people feel entitled to certain players and status in the world of Bay Area football. Well, things change.

Imagine being threatened by a team that won 2-3 games last year.

Riordan is learning that they have to compete with Serra who brought in a ton of transfers from all over the bay area and Sacramento over the past few years and still got killed by the two SoCal teams. Riordan is probably just gearing up to trying and compete with Serra and SoCal, who are all bringing in transfers from all over the place.

I don't see a problem with what any of these schools are doing. Competition is the name of the game.

Coach Adhir is just really good at what he is doing. Same can be said about Serra, Bosco, and Mater Dei. I think what Adhir is really doing is making mental midgets very mad because some people feel entitled to certain players and status in the world of Bay Area football. Well, things change.

No one is mad, it’s pretty cool actually I think just curious the sudden influx of cash to make it all happen……like I said every successful program has a deep pocket benefactors especially at private schools

No one is mad, it’s pretty cool actually I think just curious the sudden influx of cash to make it all happen……like I said every successful program has a deep pocket benefactors especially at private schools

I don't think Riordan got an influx of cash or anything. I think kids that would have played football elsewhere have now decided to go to Riordan. Same financial aid system with new talent. Riordan didn't build a new facility, fly their teams down south on chartered planes, or offer NIL deals or anything. They simply hired a new coach.

Sacred Heart Prep and Menlo Atherton (the private school) charge's $55k per year and they aren't winning at the highest levels of football. So why do you suspect that there is some private money deal that is fueling Riordan's football programs visibility?

I don't think Riordan got an influx of cash or anything. I think kids that would have played football elsewhere have now decided to go to Riordan. Same financial aid system with new talent. Riordan didn't build a new facility, fly their teams down south on chartered planes, or offer NIL deals or anything. They simply hired a new coach.

Sacred Heart Prep and Menlo Atherton (the private school) charge's $55k per year and they aren't winning at the highest levels of football. So why do you suspect that there is some private money deal that is fueling Riordan's football programs visibility?
Yes and in basketball as well, someone already answered earlier who the donors were that was my only question I had……it’s my dad alma mater I think it’s dope they are going all in finally on football about time

A "ton of transfers" ... that handful of transfers must really weigh a lot to equal a ton.

This is the part that gets me, it’s ok for the private schools to do this. Kids come from all over to play football and probably won’t have any sit out time, but if a public school starts to bring in kids the same way it’s a 30 day sit? When these public schools have to play these same private schools in the playoffs and state bowl games. How’s that make any sense? For public schools transfers to have to prove a full family move or find homeless loopholes to prevent any sit out period?

This is the part that gets me, it’s ok for the private schools to do this. Kids come from all over to play football and probably won’t have any sit out time, but if a public school starts to bring in kids the same way it’s a 30 day sit? When these public schools have to play these same private schools in the playoffs and state bowl games. How’s that make any sense? For public schools transfers to have to prove a full family move or find homeless loopholes to prevent any sit out period?
Same sit out rules apply for private schools, at least in the CCS and most NorCal sections. Not sure how the Southern sections get away with no sit out periods.

How does this relate to the incident in the NorCal quarterfinal basketball game? The player who made the terrible mistake of shoving the Inderkum player was at Riordan all 4 years.

Ok lets just put this out here. Last year was Adhir's first year. Still settling in, implementing his system, etc. So however many transfers coming in for upcoming season, if Riordan does another 3-7 season, and AGAIN, tons of transfers are coming in next offseason to play for a team that went back to back underperforming years, then you know whats up. Kids/families arent moving like they are doing to play for losing teams. They are moving cuz someone is dropping them bags. And at that point, I dont feel sorry for the school. They made their own bed and now they have to lay on it.

Reactions: Scott2138
Ok lets just put this out here. Last year was Adhir's first year. Still settling in, implementing his system, etc. So however many transfers coming in for upcoming season, if Riordan does another 3-7 season, and AGAIN, tons of transfers are coming in next offseason to play for a team that went back to back underperforming years, then you know whats up. Kids/families arent moving like they are doing to play for losing teams. They are moving cuz someone is dropping them bags. And at that point, I dont feel sorry for the school. They made their own bed and now they have to lay on it.
Kids and their families are going because the priority and alignment from Admin down to Athletics is ensuring the kids take care of business with the academics, build strong character in preparation for college. The football offers and wins will come. Coach Adhir's track record has proven this by the relationships he's created and earned with his former, current and prospective players/families who have put in their trust with him and the school. His relationships in the community at large and college recruiters is also very strong by his recent clinics and seminars the Program offers on how to best prepare their sons. You may want to check out that interview again.

Last edited:

Kids and their families are going because the priority and alignment from Admin down to Athletics is ensuring the kids take care of business with the academics, build strong character in preparation for college. The football offers and wins will come. Coach Adhir's track record has proven this by the relationships he's created and earned with his former, current and prospective players/families who have put in their trust with him and the school. His relationships in the community at large and college recruiters is also very strong by his recent clinics and seminars the Program offers on how to best prepare their sons. You may want to check out that interview again.
Absolutely! Just saw on social media that one of their players just got a Stanford offer. That's a pretty big "bag"!

This is true...but still a lot of money is being used to bring in athletes and Riordan must have revamped everything to turn the school around.....Just speaking from someone who is from SF, and watching the fall and rise of Riordan is interesting and a good thing. SHC and SI will have to convert some of their residencies for deacons laymen, priests, catholic clergy etc to better boarding programs as well if this keeps up.

Absolutely! Just saw on social media that one of their players just got a Stanford offer. That's a pretty big "bag"!

That says a lot about Coach Adhir, 3-7 with a Stanford commit while winning schools are sending their kids to Juco.

That says a lot about Coach Adhir, 3-7 with a Stanford commit while winning schools are sending their kids to Juco.
Yea, he does less with more. Great recruiter, decent Football coach. At MA when he had multiple senior Power 5 guys he had great years. Those years in between where he still had talent but not enough to just walk on the field and win games by themselves. they basically went 500. (6-5, 7-5)

His 5 years as a head coach. He's had 2 amazing years. 2 ok years and 1 bad one when you look record wise, but god damn can he recruit. Lol

Reactions: PatCarrillo
Yea, he does less with more. Great recruiter, decent Football coach. At MA when he had multiple senior Power 5 guys he had great years. Those years in between where he still had talent but not enough to just walk on the field and win games by themselves. they basically went 500. (6-5, 7-5)

His 5 years as a head coach. He's had 2 amazing years. 2 ok years and 1 bad one when you look record wise, but god damn can he recruit. Lol
One of the few coaches to win a State title with a Public school in NorCal.

Time will tell on his Riordan time but the rest of this post is questionable at best. How is going to 2 state games and winning 1 and winning 3 league titles in 5 years doing less with more? Also, doing a quick check on Rivals and they didn't have a Power 5 signee until the 2019 class which was his last year at M-A.

2 of those seasons were first-year seasons so what exactly were the expectations? Obviously, he was hired because things weren't going well at those schools. As for recruiting, M-A is a public school so what recruiting was going on? It's not like they had a flurry of transfers like what is happening at Riordan at the moment.

Turning this thread back to the WCAL - early predictions, would love to hear others on the league:

1. Serra - King of NorCal until dethroned. Return a historic senior class and would expect them to repeat.

2. St Francis - Will be young but talented. Has battled with Serra the last few years and until beaten consistently should be considered the 2nd best team. Might be similar to the 2021 class who all played as sophomores on varsity.

3. Riordan - Young but lots of skill and size, especially with the transfers. Will be interesting to see how they gel and if they can overtake SF or give Serra a run. Talent is there.

4. VC - Another young team but lots of talent and had a good freshman class. Should be a year away from returning into contention with the top.

5. SI - New coach and some unknowns. Have a transfer QB and a solid returner at QB. Might be a foundational year to get the systems and program structure in place.

6. Mitty - Graduated a lot from a great run but program has been turning in the right direction under Sullivan. Need to rebuild with youth but program stability and culture is there.

7. SHC - Graduating a lot including one of their best senior classes in the last few years. Will have to reload and a bit of a question mark on what they have at the skill positions. Could move up with some guys stepping up.

8. Bellarmine - Lost a lot of talent and their coach. Lots of unknown here both talent and coaching wise. Might be a rebuild year.

Time will tell on his Riordan time but the rest of this post is questionable at best. How is going to 2 state games and winning 1 and winning 3 league titles in 5 years doing less with more? Also, doing a quick check on Rivals and they didn't have a Power 5 signee until the 2019 class which was his last year at M-A.

2 of those seasons were first-year seasons so what exactly were the expectations? Obviously, he was hired because things weren't going well at those schools. As for recruiting, M-A is a public school so what recruiting was going on? It's not like they had a flurry of transfers like what is happening at Riordan at the moment.
My bad you’re right. First state championship team Jordan Mims was only Mountain West signee and then Mehki Blackmon played a year at CSM before signing to Colorado. As far as transfers at MA. All I do know is when he was ag MA they got Malik Johnson and Andre Bishop from St Francis. Malik Johnson was a pretty big part of their state championship team.

Turning this thread back to the WCAL - early predictions, would love to hear others on the league:

1. Serra - King of NorCal until dethroned. Return a historic senior class and would expect them to repeat.

2. St Francis - Will be young but talented. Has battled with Serra the last few years and until beaten consistently should be considered the 2nd best team. Might be similar to the 2021 class who all played as sophomores on varsity.

3. Riordan - Young but lots of skill and size, especially with the transfers. Will be interesting to see how they gel and if they can overtake SF or give Serra a run. Talent is there.

4. VC - Another young team but lots of talent and had a good freshman class. Should be a year away from returning into contention with the top.

5. SI - New coach and some unknowns. Have a transfer QB and a solid returner at QB. Might be a foundational year to get the systems and program structure in place.

6. Mitty - Graduated a lot from a great run but program has been turning in the right direction under Sullivan. Need to rebuild with youth but program stability and culture is there.

7. SHC - Graduating a lot including one of their best senior classes in the last few years. Will have to reload and a bit of a question mark on what they have at the skill positions. Could move up with some guys stepping up.

8. Bellarmine - Lost a lot of talent and their coach. Lots of unknown here both talent and coaching wise. Might be a rebuild year.
Bells too low. Riordan too high.

Reactions: FBAddict
St. Ignatius schedule
Aug 18 Menlo-Atherton scrimmage
Aug 25 San Ramon Valley
Sep 1 @ Jesuit-Sacramento
Sep 8 Cathedral Catholic-San Diego
Sep 23 @Riordan
Sep 29 Bellarmine
Oct 6 @St Francis
Oct 13 @Vallay Christian
Oct 2 Sacred Heart
Oct 27 Mitty
Nov 3 @Serra

Ambitious schedule for new coach.

Last edited:
St. Ignatius schedule
Aug 18 Menlo-Atherton scrimmage
Aug 18 San Ramon Valley
Sep 1 @ Jesuit-Sacramento
Sep 8 Cathedral Catholic-San Diego
Sep 23 @Riordan
Sep 29 Bellarmine
Oct 6 @St Francis
Oct 13 @Vallay Christian
Oct 2 Sacred Heart
Oct 27 Mitty
Nov 3 @Serra

Ambitious schedule for new coach.
He has another nice QB to add to the SI mix: Brandon Mann. He was a brief backup on the Serra varsity as a frosh and transferred to Leland after less than a month. He started there as a frosh. SI is the young man's third school in 10 months. We wish him well.

Riordan Schedule
Aug 18th @ Salinas/Hollister (scrimmage)
Aug 25 Sacred Heart Prep 3pm
Sept 1 @ Moreau Catholic 7pm
Sept 9 St. Bonaventure (Ventura) 2pm
Sept 23 St. Ignatius 2pm 2pm
Sept 30 Valley Christian 2pm
Oct 6 @ Bellarmine (SJCC) 7pm
Oct 14 Mitty 2pm
Oct 21 @ Serra 2pm
Oct 28 @ St. Francis 7pm
Nov 3 @ SHC (Kezar) 7pm

Last edited:
Tuition. Doubling the enrollment in 3 years by going co-ed and a thriving boarding program helps. You can ask the same question to the other private schools as well. Didn't someone post that St. Francis is putting $100mil into an athletic complex, SI just upgraded their sports facilities, Serra and Bellarmine have upgraded as well. BTW, have you seen Valley Christian's campus?
As it turns out the $100 million upgrade is to the school and not just the athletic complex.

Serra 6 transfers in last 4 years.

Last edited:
Didn’t 4 of those 6 transfers (Smith, Silver, Alapati and Cloud) play on last year’s Nor Cal title team. Nothing wrong with that. Great run last year.
Didn’t 4 of those 6 transfers (Smith, Silver, Alapati and Cloud) play on last year’s Nor Cal title team. Nothing wrong with that. Great run last year.
Yes they did. Silver transferred in 2019, Smith 2020 and Loud And Alapati in 2021. Thats not bringing in a ton of transfers as the post indicated. Especially not a ton for a team who has represented Norcal 2x's in a row.

Dont comment much, moreso like to read but also dont like the spread of misinformation.

Excited on another note to see some WCAL ball. Teams are stepping up and that is great for the league in general, it should be one of the most dominant league in Norcal in totality.

Last edited:
Facts only @Serrapadre13. Smith and Alapati are studs earning WCAL QB of the Year and LB of the Year. Definitely looking forward to the season

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT