ADVERTISEMENT

Why NorCal Players Keep Going to the SEC or ACC

CaliforniaFan24

Superstar
Jun 27, 2020
Nejay Harris to Alabama; Joe Ngata to Clemson. I can understand why these 5 star offensive players go to those conferences. Look at Alabama/Mississippi game yesterday. 111 points scored. Those conference can't play defense and the SEC is always called such a monster conference.

It is hard to beat Alabama and Clemson and Georgia on the recruting trail, but if the Pac-12 could have schools keep players in the region, there will be a shift in college football.
USC just needs to step up

2019 LSU
2018 Clemson
2017 Alabama
2016 Clemson
2015 Alabama
2014 Ohio State
2013 Florida State
2012 Alabama
2011 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2009 Alabama
2008 Florida
2007 LSU
2006 Florida

2005 Texas
2004 Southern California*
2003 LSU, Southern California
2002 Ohio State
2001 Miami (Fla.)
2000 Oklahoma

Well if I had to take an uneducated guess, just totally speculating, I’d say the chance at a national title and weekly exposure might lure some kids to these programs.

No thanks 🤮, UCLA fan, prefer to see Trojans go 0-11 every year:)
Well, traditionally they've been the West Coasts best team.You know, like UCLA basketball, just not quite as far removed

There is actual football being played in those conferences as well which tells you all you need to know about why a top recruit should never ever choose a west coast program.

Reactions: Bubba3000
NAJEE Harris was doubted for going to the SEC on a team his freshman year with 3 future NFL running backs. "The will recruit over you." "The defenses are too big and you arent fast enough."The kid has only rushed for 2,724 yards and over 20 TDS so far in his career. I would say NAJEE made quite the business decision to not play at Cal or Stanford and go East.
And to say there is no defense in the SEC is just nonsense.

The SEC had by far the most players drafted into the NFL over the past decade, many of whom play defense.

The SEC had by far the most players drafted into the NFL over the past decade, many of whom play defense.

The University of Georgia is a great example of SEC players in the NFL, particularly on defense

California prospects are leaving for top schools in the nation. As a coach, its obvious to me that the top competition comes from the top 4 or 5 programs. Alabama and Clemson don't sugar coat a thing when they recruit and those places are not for everyone, if your not all about hard work/zero shortcuts, then don't go there. You tend to get the "sales pitch" more from the Pac12 schools. Not saying the Pac12 doesn't work hard, just saying you can tell the difference.

California prospects are leaving for top schools in the nation. As a coach, its obvious to me that the top competition comes from the top 4 or 5 programs. Alabama and Clemson don't sugar coat a thing when they recruit and those places are not for everyone, if your not all about hard work/zero shortcuts, then don't go there. You tend to get the "sales pitch" more from the Pac12 schools. Not saying the Pac12 doesn't work hard, just saying you can tell the difference.

Safe to say Alabama and Clemson don't stress academics?

Clemson actually does emphasize academics and life after football. Check out the P.A.W. Journey.

Thanks for that. It's great to see. Not all bigtime college players wind up in the NFL and Mitch Hyatt is a great example of that. A three? time All American that wasn't a good fit in the pro game.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
A lot of factors play into players avoiding the Pac-12. No specific order, just observations....

1) The top NorCal players do not want to play at Berkley.
2) The top So Cal kids do not go to USC.
3) USC passed over Orgeron.
4) Chip Kelley left Oregon
5) Pete Carroll's mess didn't get swept under the rug.
6) Many top kids are trying to leave the Bay/LA (too many distractions and pitfalls close to home).
8) HS football is not that good in Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona.
9) HS/College Football is not King in NorCal.
10) Kids are choosing "College Towns" over "City Life". (LA, Bay, Seattle, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, etc.)
11) We had Pete Carroll!!!!

A lot of factors play into players avoiding the Pac-12. No specific order, just observations....

1) The top NorCal players do not want to play at Berkley.
2) The top So Cal kids do not go to USC.
3) USC passed over Orgeron.
4) Chip Kelley left Oregon
5) Pete Carroll's mess didn't get swept under the rug.
6) Many top kids are trying to leave the Bay/LA (too many distractions and pitfalls close to home).
8) HS football is not that good in Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona.
9) HS/College Football is not King in NorCal.
10) Kids are choosing "College Towns" over "City Life". (LA, Bay, Seattle, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, etc.)
11) We had Pete Carroll!!!!

-actually Wilcox is getting lots of quality NorCal kids staying check out their recruiting class so far this year at Cal.....this isn’t the Sonny Dykes days
-SC is doing fine this class is really solid with lots of talent
- Cristóbal is running circles around Kelly when it comes to recruiting they won the RB last year they are fine
- Utah , Washington and Arizona actually really good football players and teams they play high level football

There are plenty of players in California that would play for Pac12 teams. Where the Pac12 is lacking is in fan support. Home games and away. Stanford home games are pathetic for a university that has had such a long run of success. Cal's stadium, outside of the boxes up top which are really cool, needs a lot of help, but fan support is dismal there too. As my Cal sister put it, Cal is a really large commuter school. Most people don't live on or even around campus due to expense. USC has been horrific at hiring football coaches and backed in to its most successful hire after several candidates turned them down. They finally hired an AD that is good at his job and not a USC alum. UCLA is vacant at the very top of its leadership, but they too hired an AD that is good at his job. The two biggest con jobs are the Arizona schools. ASU AD Ray Anderson fired Todd Graham after going 7-5 in the regular season, saying that fans should expect more. Enter Herm Edwards who has gone 7-5 in the regular season two years straight, but somehow has sold the world that there has been massive improvement. Arizona is stuck with a contract they can't afford to buy out as Kevin Sumlin has gone 6-12 in conference over the last two years. Their best defenders have left for programs that committed to play during the Covid era and they are piecing together offensive and defensive lines with JC help. Oregon is solid and probably the best positioned to contend on a national level. Great fan support. Washington was in great shape under the Peterson era, jury is out on the Lake era. Also, great fan support. Jonathan Smith has proven to be a sneaky good hire. Washington State basically hired Leach 2.0 with Rolovich, great offensive mind that will try to win by outscoring you. UCLA hired Karl Dorrell at a very young age because he showed promise. Pete Carroll had a few missteps before becoming the coach he is today. Sometimes you can't rush the maturation of a coach. I like the swing by Colorado but its a risk they need to pay off. Utah is solid in every way and I love that Poly pipeline.

Remember there was a time not that long ago that Alabama hired Mike Price just as he entered temporary insanity, then was coming off a 6-6 Mike Shula coached season, and backed in to Nick Saban that was a failure at the Pro level.

Reactions: 13 others
I think Cal’s stadium after the renovation is plenty nice now, I think it’s a great venue. Pre renovation ? Yeah it was pretty rundown in a most beautiful setting. Look at what Wilcox is doing now 8-5 with tons of returners back most important Garbers at QB, they currently sit with #19 recruiting class in the Nation with some great NorCal players

Wilcox is doing a very good job recruiting. OC hire has me a little concerned but it probably fits Wilcox defensive, ball control mindset better than Baldwin.

Wilcox is doing a very good job recruiting. OC hire has me a little concerned but it probably fits Wilcox defensive, ball control mindset better than Baldwin.

yup exactly and also compliments the RB they have right now

Imo, what hurts the Pac12 as much as anything is Stanford has the best HC / best run program. Stanford being your most consistent program doesn't have the same impact as if Shaw ran USC or UCLA, the conference overall might be better.

Reactions: THEOC89
You’re seeing a decline of Furd last few years now and you don’t see Shaw named tossed around as much anymore I actually think another poor year and there might be some heat on him. I think Washington and Oregon been the best run programs as well

Reactions: mistark
There are plenty of players in California that would play for Pac12 teams. Where the Pac12 is lacking is in fan support. Home games and away. Stanford home games are pathetic for a university that has had such a long run of success. Cal's stadium, outside of the boxes up top which are really cool, needs a lot of help, but fan support is dismal there too. As my Cal sister put it, Cal is a really large commuter school. Most people don't live on or even around campus due to expense. USC has been horrific at hiring football coaches and backed in to its most successful hire after several candidates turned them down. They finally hired an AD that is good at his job and not a USC alum. UCLA is vacant at the very top of its leadership, but they too hired an AD that is good at his job. The two biggest con jobs are the Arizona schools. ASU AD Ray Anderson fired Todd Graham after going 7-5 in the regular season, saying that fans should expect more. Enter Herm Edwards who has gone 7-5 in the regular season two years straight, but somehow has sold the world that there has been massive improvement. Arizona is stuck with a contract they can't afford to buy out as Kevin Sumlin has gone 6-12 in conference over the last two years. Their best defenders have left for programs that committed to play during the Covid era and they are piecing together offensive and defensive lines with JC help. Oregon is solid and probably the best positioned to contend on a national level. Great fan support. Washington was in great shape under the Peterson era, jury is out on the Lake era. Also, great fan support. Jonathan Smith has proven to be a sneaky good hire. Washington State basically hired Leach 2.0 with Rolovich, great offensive mind that will try to win by outscoring you. UCLA hired Karl Dorrell at a very young age because he showed promise. Pete Carroll had a few missteps before becoming the coach he is today. Sometimes you can't rush the maturation of a coach. I like the swing by Colorado but its a risk they need to pay off. Utah is solid in every way and I love that Poly pipeline.

Remember there was a time not that long ago that Alabama hired Mike Price just as he entered temporary insanity, then was coming off a 6-6 Mike Shula coached season, and backed in to Nick Saban that was a failure at the Pro level.
Regarding ASU. Todd Graham started hot. 10-4 and 10-3. He then fell off to 6-7, 5-7 and 7-5 with one bowl game. Recruiting (which is how you win) in college also suffered. Although the glaring decline in wins probably sealed his fate. Something is wrong there and he did not have the equity to be able to right the ship. Off to Hawaii to try again. Not that bad a fallback. Herm Edwards brought an NFL name and pedigree with hopes of duplicating Saban and Carroll. Recruiting rankings show improvement and his record is improved over his first 2 years compared to Graham's last two years. I would say they made a sound decision.

I should have put a time-line. I really like Cristobal at Oregon, and would agree that Chris Peterson ran UW program was right there with Stanford. Over the last 10 yrs, its my opinion that Stanford has been the best ran program. UW and a couple of others have an argument to be there as well.

Reactions: MC415
Regarding ASU. Todd Graham started hot. 10-4 and 10-3. He then fell off to 6-7, 5-7 and 7-5 with one bowl game. Recruiting (which is how you win) in college also suffered. Although the glaring decline in wins probably sealed his fate. Something is wrong there and he did not have the equity to be able to right the ship. Off to Hawaii to try again. Not that bad a fallback. Herm Edwards brought an NFL name and pedigree with hopes of duplicating Saban and Carroll. Recruiting rankings show improvement and his record is improved over his first 2 years compared to Graham's last two years. I would say they made a sound decision.
It’s my Alma Mater so I wish it were true. 247 Sports last recruiting class #32, Herm’s current class #34

It’s my Alma Mater so I wish it were true. 247 Sports last recruiting class #32, Herm’s current class #34

but they just cut loose 5 commits so they must be upgrading to do that or have some nice grad transfers coming in

The SEC, BIG-12, and ACC were playing football this year while the PAC-12 had no destination or decision sitting at home. BIG-10 Jumped on board and then The PAC-12 became the last POWER 5 to jump on board to play football.

All of the TOP prospect take notice of this. Who is more serious about their football? Obvious.
This does not count the fans support in the stadiums etc...

PAC-12 has to commit to winning like USC & Oregon have done in the past, They have to want to stay there.

Reactions: remc
I have a son headed to play football in the ACC next year. The overall loudest reason for his decision is the thought of "getting out of California" and to play against the best teams in the country. I won't post anymore content because politics are discouraged. Peace y'all.

I have a son headed to play football in the ACC next year. The overall loudest reason for his decision is the thought of "getting out of California" and to play against the best teams in the country. I won't post anymore content because politics are discouraged. Peace y'all.

Good luck to your son it goes fast, enjoy!

Reactions: concrete17 and remc
Agreed. The Pac12 will catch on again once USC gets its stuff in order. The LA media market and USC football competing for a title are a deadly combination. The NCAA just needs to let them compete for players the way it allows the SEC to compete for players.

Reactions: remc
Agreed. The Pac12 will catch on again once USC gets its stuff in order. The LA media market and USC football competing for a title are a deadly combination. The NCAA just needs to let them compete for players the way it allows the SEC to compete for players.

How exactly is NCAA hindering Pac12 programs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT