ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

A good TEAM win. Team. Everyone played there role and position. After the Serra game. Riordan was like Mike Tyson after getting knocked down vs Buster Douglass. In some ways it was shocking to some of the players and coaching staff. My opinion.

Those past 3 games, were games in which the team got its mojo back. Confidence and it carried over into the Bellermine game. There are no also rans in the WCAL. Anything can happen.

Regarding the game. There are somethings that can be tightened up. The Bells got a lot of loose balls and rebounds in first half. [almost a replay of the Serra nightmare]. And since Decker was shut down in first half [6 points on 2 for 9 shooting] A lot of there players scored to give them the lead. In second half he got it going. Decker. He erupted for 27 points, but it was a lot of standing around, watching by the other Bells and they became a one dimensional team, to Riordan's advantage.

Offensively, Riordan had good ball movement and good team ball. Self sacrifice. And four players in double figures. A winning combination that will be hard to stop. The team is a great second half team and has been the entire season. They just need better first half's, which have been a problem in almost every game this season.

So, I have thoughts on this Riordan game. Tale of 2 halves. Why was Monroe not involved the first half? I think we saw the 2nd half as he goes as does the Riordan offense. I get it, they looked GREAT versus also-rans the last 2 games. But let's get real now. Know who the best players are on your team and get the ball in their hands. First 8 points the 2nd half was a direct result of Monroe (6points and 1 assist). Sek was INCREDIBLE the 2nd half. Best half of his young career. Hope he can build from it. Wilson was incredible. Everyone needs to know their role. Mitty will be another challenge. When was the last time Riordan won @ Mitty. I'll leave it at that. #WeR See you guys Tuesday. Oh and the 'R Mob'. Please get rid of that section. Embarrassing. Leave it to the band to get the team going. Thoughts?

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Coaching certainly factored in tonight's game. Preparing the team to play w/o it’s starting 6-7 PF, great 2nd half adjustment as they were trailing @ halftime, strategy of leveraging your speed, athleticism, physicality and height and the team buying into it by playing with pure heart and determination. Nice job Coach Curtin!
Yes, I mentioned that on Twitter as well, getting the ball into your best playerS hands in the 2nd half. Again, JXXIV, your a Riordan historian. Please look up the last time Riordan won @ Mitty? @ARHS_Stats, can you give some insight. Will be a hell of a test Tuesday night.

A good TEAM win. Team. Everyone played there role and position. After the Serra game. Riordan was like Mike Tyson after getting knocked down vs Buster Douglass. In some ways it was shocking to some of the players and coaching staff. My opinion.

Those past 3 games, were games in which the team got its mojo back. Confidence and it carried over into the Bellermine game. There are no also rans in the WCAL. Anything can happen.

Regarding the game. There are somethings that can be tightened up. The Bells got a lot of loose balls and rebounds in first half. [almost a replay of the Serra nightmare]. And since Decker was shut down in first half [6 points on 2 for 9 shooting] A lot of there players scored to give them the lead. In second half he got it going. Decker. He erupted for 27 points, but it was a lot of standing around, watching by the other Bells and they became a one dimensional team, to Riordan's advantage.

Offensively, Riordan had good ball movement and good team ball. Self sacrifice. And four players in double figures. A winning combination that will be hard to stop. The team is a great second half team and has been the entire season. They just need better first half's, which have been a problem in almost every game this season.
Hey Superle! An old sparring partner on this board when you pledged your allegiance to those guys from the Tenderloin (Easy Irish Cheers, I know theyre not from there). All good, I knew where your purple heart lay. We can agree to disagree (AGAIN) about the also-rans. There truly is. I get it that a coach will never admit that, but It is what it is. That said, you ARE CORRECT in players knowing their roles. All of them. But, it is ok to admit you need that closer. Sometimes you need that finisher. Role players flourish in those also ran games. When your playing a top team, then top talent needs to shine and the role players there to finish and do the dirty work. Wilson and Sek(sp?) At times it will be Clark shining. Others it will be Monroe shining. The point being get the ball in your best playerS hands! There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with admitting that. I think its safe to say, Riordan plays best at a frenetic pace, and needs to maintain that tempo. Theyre not gonna run an offense the for the whole shot clock, passing up a good shot for a better shot. Its not them. Glad I popped back in here.

Welcome back Bryce Monroe! That young man was a warrior tonight against the nation's 14th ranked team according to MaxPreps.
Riordan appeared out of sorts in the first half and still stayed within 6 points at halftime, mainly due to their defense, rebounding and hustle. The second half Riordan really stepped up its D and Bryce took over with some nice drives and hitting from the outside. One particular play had Bryce take a few dribbles and took a step back 3 - nothing but net! Wow! He appeared laboring late in the second half, but stuck it out and was just a beast tonight.
The Riordan starting 5 was the perfect combination to face the Bells. Really liked the energy, defense and rebounding of all the players. I was not sure how Riordan would fare after seeing Rob Vaihola's hand in a wrap and sitting out against the tall and physical Bells. The Crusaders matched their physicality as there were numerous jump balls from fighting for possession...
Mor served notice against the Bell's 6-9 jr who came in with more accolades at this point. I think Mor and Wilson must have had at least 10 rebounds each, many coming from the offensive end. It would have been nice if the player information on the main scoreboard was displayed. Bryce, Jelani and Mor easily were the leading scorers. Looking forward to seeing the final tally. Next up - the Mitty Monarchs in San Jose. Great comeback win Riordan!
they the 14th ranked team in the country? wow

Interesting point of Dekker’s spectacular second half and the other Bells standing around...

Watched only 2nd half of game. Riordan took full advantage of Bells center picking up 4th foul and attacked basket. Stayed up long enough for Crusaders to tie, then fell asleep. Sek seemed like he was ready to recognize how tough WCAL play can be. Benefited big time by Monroe attacking basket. Again, they have plenty of pieces.

I don't disagree. I am an observer with a vested interest. I have seen every Crusader game the last 3 years and I know what works and doesn't, regarding this team, which I want to succeed.

It was a good win with everyone being involved. Again. Self sacrifice is the term i am gonna use.

And I have an opinion like everyone. Like an a--hole. Everyone has one. But the person that is coaching, knows the strengths and weaknesses of every player on the team. And it looks like he is doing ok. Again a long season. We are at the midway point. But things are looking on the up. But its one game at a time.

Hey Superle! An old sparring partner on this board when you pledged your allegiance to those guys from the Tenderloin (Easy Irish Cheers, I know theyre not from there). All good, I knew where your purple heart lay. We can agree to disagree (AGAIN) about the also-rans. There truly is. I get it that a coach will never admit that, but It is what it is. That said, you ARE CORRECT in players knowing their roles. All of them. But, it is ok to admit you need that closer. Sometimes you need that finisher. Role players flourish in those also ran games. When your playing a top team, then top talent needs to shine and the role players there to finish and do the dirty work. Wilson and Sek(sp?) At times it will be Clark shining. Others it will be Monroe shining. The point being get the ball in your best playerS hands! There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with admitting that. I think its safe to say, Riordan plays best at a frenetic pace, and needs to maintain that tempo. Theyre not gonna run an offense the for the whole shot clock, passing up a good shot for a better shot. Its not them. Glad I popped back in here.

Interesting point of Dekker’s spectacular second half and the other Bells standing around...
They didn't stand around. He got it going and Coach Sneider ran the offense through him. Go look up the stats from last night. Bellarmine had 5 guys with 10 or more shot attempts. The other guys just had an off night. There is usually one thing that will happen in a competition. One team will win and another will lose. Some times it's not about X's and O's and more about Jimmy's and Joe's. Round 2 up at Bellarmine will be another WCAL classic. Hopefully Rob will be back for that one.
As a spectator it was good to see Riordan gut out a hard fought win. I am not taking anything away from our wins but our Sacred Heart is 1-4 in league, St. Ignatius is 0-5, Valley Christian is 0-5...we were suppose to win those games. Bellarmine just came off an historic night vs Serra . This was a huge TEAM win but I dont understand why people get jealous or want credit as long as you WIN and get better. It doesn't say Je"lani won, it will say Riordan won. It's a fact vs the better teams we need a full team but in and we need our proven seniors to plays well. Bryce is the leading scorer by a average and total points on the season even after not playing in 4 games, so it's not question on if he should be involved or Not. I read a twitter post from Bellarmine's point guards dad saying "hey D1 coaches look at my son and what he did to D1 players and how much he scored against them, come recruit my son" I was personally taken back by that since neither Je'lani or Bryce really covered him all night but I do believe his kid is an awesome player.
As Norcal turns?! My 2 cents...

Reactions: jordan24
They were standing around and or setting screens for him during the secondhalf. To the point they weren't playing ball. . As you said before to me. One guy isn't gonna beat 5. He had 30 and we were up by 17 late in game.

If they would've played like they did in first half. They win. They didn't and lost. And I seen the stats.

And his father is tripping. You can't build your fame off of someone else's acclaim. There is a reason #3 was the primary defender on him.

They didn't stand around. He got it going and Coach Sneider ran the offense through him. Go look up the stats from last night. Bellarmine had 5 guys with 10 or more shot attempts. The other guys just had an off night. There is usually one thing that will happen in a competition. One team will win and another will lose. Some times it's not about X's and O's and more about Jimmy's and Joe's. Round 2 up at Bellarmine will be another WCAL classic. Hopefully Rob will be back for that one.
As a spectator it was good to see Riordan gut out a hard fought win. I am not taking anything away from our wins but our Sacred Heart is 1-4 in league, St. Ignatius is 0-5, Valley Christian is 0-5...we were suppose to win those games. Bellarmine just came off an historic night vs Serra . This was a huge TEAM win but I dont understand why people get jealous or want credit as long as you WIN and get better. It doesn't say Je"lani won, it will say Riordan won. It's a fact vs the better teams we need a full team but in and we need our proven seniors to plays well. Bryce is the leading scorer by a average and total points on the season even after not playing in 4 games, so it's not question on if he should be involved or Not. I read a twitter post from Bellarmine's point guards dad saying "hey D1 coaches look at my son and what he did to D1 players and how much he scored against them, come recruit my son" I was personally taken back by that since neither Je'lani or Bryce really covered him all night but I do believe his kid is an awesome player.
As Norcal turns?! My 2 cents...

An advantage that Mitty and Bellarmine had going into the season was they had a majority of returning starters. Riordan only returned 2, and it has been mentioned by everyone that the key was when/how well will this team would gel. That Serra loss was a gut punch, and it appears the team has been putting in the work and understanding their roles since that season opening loss. Lots games left to go, with a HUGE one this Tuesday night in San Jose against the defending WCAL champs.

I don't disagree. I am an observer with a vested interest. I have seen every Crusader game the last 3 years and I know what works and doesn't, regarding this team, which I want to succeed.

It was a good win with everyone being involved. Again. Self sacrifice is the term i am gonna use.

And I have an opinion like everyone. Like an a--hole. Everyone has one. But the person that is coaching, knows the strengths and weaknesses of every player on the team. And it looks like he is doing ok. Again a long season. We are at the midway point. But things are looking on the up. But its one game at a time.
Im an observer with a vested interest as well. And always have pointed it out, regardless if it was the popular take or not. Many years back I went at the Dr of Hoopology for his rotation in regards to Tofi. However, its one thing to have vested interest and be objective. Its a whole other scenario when you have vested interest and will just go along with status quo for the betterment of (insert next of kin here). I've always been up front with my son and his coaches when he was playing. Not a troublemaker mind you, but constructive conversation with both. The coach who walls him/herself off from this is the one who never grows and evolves as as all good coaches do. Its called constructive criticism. Good coaches can take it bad coaches will show their insecurities and not be open to change. So yes, I have been there done that with my oldest son.

good points. right on.

Im an observer with a vested interest as well. And always have pointed it out, regardless if it was the popular take or not. Many years back I went at the Dr of Hoopology for his rotation in regards to Tofi. However, its one thing to have vested interest and be objective. Its a whole other scenario when you have vested interest and will just go along with status quo for the betterment of (insert next of kin here). I've always been up front with my son and his coaches when he was playing. Not a troublemaker mind you, but constructive conversation with both. The coach who walls him/herself off from this is the one who never grows and evolves as as all good coaches do. Its called constructive criticism. Good coaches can take it bad coaches will show their insecurities and not be open to change. So yes, I have been there done that with my oldest son.

An advantage that Mitty and Bellarmine had going into the season was they had a majority of returning starters. Riordan only returned 2, and it has been mentioned by everyone that the key was when/how well will this team would gel. That Serra loss was a gut punch, and it appears the team has been putting in the work and understanding their roles since that season opening loss. Lots games left to go, with a HUGE one this Tuesday night in San Jose against the defending WCAL champs.
But when those 2 returning starters are D1 commits and your 2 best players, then I am running every single possession through them when I need a basket or at crunch time. They are D1 commits for a reason and will find those players open and hopefully they can finish (which until Sek's (sp?) big 2nd half yesterday was very suspect). In crunch time it was Steph n KD running high PnR when they needed a basket. I didnt see Draymond or Kevon coming up for those high PnRs. Get the ball in your best players hands. Get them involved. The team will follow. In the first half, for whatever reason they had Monroe on the wing. Great. Now theyre down 8 at half. Time to stop jimmy jacking around and get the ball in your best players hands. Its not rocket science. Even Kerr played his whole bench vs various 'also rans', but when push came to shove that rotation shrunk and everyone knew their role.

But when those 2 returning starters are D1 commits and your 2 best players, then I am running every single possession through them when I need a basket or at crunch time. They are D1 commits for a reason and will find those players open and hopefully they can finish (which until Sek's (sp?) big 2nd half yesterday was very suspect). In crunch time it was Steph n KD running high PnR when they needed a basket. I didnt see Draymond or Kevon coming up for those high PnRs. Get the ball in your best players hands. Get them involved. The team will follow. In the first half, for whatever reason they had Monroe on the wing. Great. Now theyre down 8 at half. Time to stop jimmy jacking around and get the ball in your best players hands. Its not rocket science. Even Kerr played his whole bench vs various 'also rans', but when push came to shove that rotation shrunk and everyone knew their role.

#fact

Finally got the answer as to when Riordan's last win @ Mitty was. 2002 is what Ethan Kassel gave me. Still waiting for Pat "ARHS Stats" to confirm, but that sounds about right. As one fabled wrestler use to say as his moniker, 'To be the Man; you've got to BEAT THE MAN!' That said, HUGE statement game Tuesday night vs Mitty. And will go a long way for the Crusaders controlling their own destiny and finally reclaiming that coveted League title old school alums been clamoring for. #WeR

Reactions: ayalar09
Finally got the answer as to when Riordan's last win @ Mitty was. 2002 is what Ethan Kassel gave me. Still waiting for Pat "ARHS Stats" to confirm, but that sounds about right. As one fabled wrestler use to say as his moniker, 'To be the Man; you've got to BEAT THE MAN!' That said, HUGE statement game Tuesday night vs Mitty. And will go a long way for the Crusaders controlling their own destiny and finally reclaiming that coveted League title old school alums been clamoring for. #WeR
1DNA, huge game for these teams to make a statement and get pole position in the standings...Both teams split @ home last season as the final score/margin were not determined until the final seconds of each game. Mitty returns most of its starting roster and or players that saw significant minutes, but lost WCAL POY Devan Sapp to a prep school and gains talented transfer Nigel Burris. Crusader coaches and team are starting to come together at the right time. Riordan presents lots of length and the explosiveness of Bryce and Je'Lani. Mitty has 3pt shooters galore led by Mikey Mtchell and Marcus Greene. Should be another WCAL classic with first place at stake.

Reactions: OneDNA
ouch... that has been a minute... if they go down there and lay an egg...... might as well sit out the rest of season

1DNA, huge game for these teams to make a statement and get pole position in the standings...Both teams split @ home last season as the final score/margin were not determined until the final seconds of each game. Mitty returns most of its starting roster and or players that saw significant minutes, but lost WCAL POY Devan Sapp to a prep school and gains talented transfer Nigel Burris. Crusader coaches and team are starting to come together at the right time. Riordan presents lots of length and the explosiveness of Bryce and Je'Lani. Mitty has 3pt shooters galore led by Mikey Mtchell and Marcus Greene. Should be another WCAL classic with first place at stake.
To put the last time Riordan won @ MItty into greater perspective, the majority of both student bodys were not even born yet the last time Riordan won @ MItty if that is indeed the last time they won in 2002. Talk about a monkey on your back....

Reactions: ayalar09
To put the last time Riordan won @ MItty into greater perspective, the majority of both student bodys were not even born yet the last time Riordan won @ MItty if that is indeed the last time they won in 2002. Talk about a monkey on your back....

That does sound about right though. They haven’t won at Mitty since Gordon left, and pretty sure they didn’t win down there during the tenure of either Gordon as they had some powerhouse teams. Had to be pre-Drew.

Riordan beat the Drew Gordon teams his jr and sr seasons at the Crusader Forum. I don't recall the Aaron Gordon years at the Forum. I know one year it went down to the wire with the visiting Monarchs pulling it out.

Riordan beat the Drew Gordon teams his jr and sr seasons at the Crusader Forum. I don't recall the Aaron Gordon years at the Forum. I know one year it went down to the wire with the visiting Monarchs pulling it out.
Talking strictly @ Mitty. Riordan has not won @Mitty since 2002....

Yes. They should have won last season. They had an 8-10 pt lead going into the 4th qtr if I’m not mistaken.
Shoulda, coulda, but didn't...I know there is atleast a few guys that's want to end that streak. Tough task but let see what happens. A lot of blow games happening at the De La Salle - MLK event. A lot of of high major talent that have signed etc...having some stinker games.

really. damn.

Shoulda, coulda, but didn't...I know there is atleast a few guys that's want to end that streak. Tough task but let see what happens. A lot of blow games happening at the De La Salle - MLK event. A lot of of high major talent that have signed etc...having some stinker games.

Tuesday Night Jan 21st Matchups (stream info will be updated if/when available)
Tip-off @ 7:30 pm.
  • Bellarmine @ St. Ignatius
  • Serra @ St. Francis
  • Valley Christian @ Sacred Heart Cathedral
  • Riordan @ Mitty
Tues Night Picks. Who you got?
  • Bellarmine
  • St. Francis
  • SHC
  • Riordan

Is it possible that the humiliating loss to Serra at home will wind up being just the wake-up call the Crusaders needed?

Is it possible that the humiliating loss to Serra at home will wind up being just the wake-up call the Crusaders needed?

Tonight will be a great test for both teams. Its rare to see five D1 prospects playing in the same game, when it's not a Prep School game. House should be absolutely packed.

Reactions: cherylbaustin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT