ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

I saw the slam the way (as Monroe). My question. Was there a delay of game prior in the game, which warrants a "hard bonced" ball away as second delay? In in itself, it was unintended and more instinctive.
was it bounced by the player directly towards the ground?

[QUOTE="colhenrylives, post: 254396, member: 968 The WCAL is a non-stop grind. Nothing new with that statement from your favorite Capt. Obvious 2.0.[/QUOTE]
"Colonel" Obvious...

Friday night's WCAL matchups @ 7:30 pm.

My picks. Who do you got?
Bellarmine
Riordan
St. Francis
SHC

Last edited:
Riordan beat SI 66-40.
St. Francis beat VC 94-61
Serra 69 SHC 62
Bells beat Mitty 68-56.

Last edited:
That would be a big loss for Mitty and their chances at the Open Division. Though Bellarmine has done well, they just lost to St. Francis. So for all those people "complaining" that I had Mitty 1 and Sheldon 2, that would reverse for me if this loss does indeed come to fruition.

Overall Riordan looks like they had a slight slip up against Serra, but seemed to have righted the ship quite nicely.

Valley Christian is the only team that hasn't looked competitive in WCAL play yet!

Riordan looked really good with the ball in Clark's hands. The second half of SHCP and last night very good ball movement and everyone getting involved. They consistently play like this watch out.

Reactions: cityfan
Riordan looked really good with the ball in Clark's hands. The second half of SHCP and last night very good ball movement and everyone getting involved. They consistently play like this watch out.

Watching the tape he played incredible. The play in which he passed it to the corner and dunk reminded of the Marquise Kately days.

What I find interesting is Mitty, Riordan and Bellarmine all have 1 loss. It’s going to be exciting to see where all three end up in the end.

Reactions: cityfan
Great point, never even thought about that and it is a tough place to play so they can make some noise come the end of the league as well.
I saw the game on NFHS. They had problems with the score and timekeeping on the screen. If the Irish had some big guys out there they could have pulled this one out. I also saw the last half of Bellarmine and Mitty. The Bells handled them easily and on the road yet.

Great Atmosphere, attendance has been great across the WCAL so far. The R has blown out Sacred Heart and St. Ignatius. St. Ignatius team is 0- 3 in league and just not very good. Both teams are sub 500 on the season. Valley Christian is up next who is winless In the WCAL. We need that same production and energy of how great we look when we play the winning teams in league. Looking forward to that.
Seck needs to mature, someone needs to sit down with him and have a talk. Someone who he will listen to. St. Ignatius crowd got into him and he flipped them the bird a double bird and got a technical.
4 more games on the front half of league. Let's see if Serra can run the table and continue with their narrow victories.

Reactions: jordan24
I saw the game on NFHS. They had problems with the score and timekeeping on the screen. If the Irish had some big guys out there they could have pulled this one out. I also saw the last half of Bellarmine and Mitty. The Bells handled them easily and on the road yet.
Interesting how the "big 3's" losses all occurred at home.
Wow! Just wow! If one is to argue to have rivalry games at your home gym, look no further than McCullough Gym last night. Easily 1500+ with an overflow standing room crowd surrounding the court at least 8 people deep in some areas! Both cheering section came out strong, SI orchestra and even the Riordan band came out. A great HS atmosphere.
As for the game, Je'Lani Clark led his team last night in both leadership and scoring with Bryce Monroe out and still on the mend. He must have had about 4 shots that had the crowd oohing and ahhing, not including his dunk in traffic on the give and go. Ball movement was excellent and the Crusaders were confident and patient in running the offense. Defense was the key for the night as the game plan certainly highlighted playing the SI guards tight and leverage Riordan's bigs vs SI bigs. Crusader juniors Lee Hubbard and Robert Vaihola had huge breakout nights both on offense and D. Hubbard was draped all over frosh phenom King Jshanni-Willhite limiting his points and creating turnovers. Vaihola used his size to outmuscle SI's jr Ethan Jew and came up big with several low post moves, follow ups and most impressively rebounds on both sides. Soph Mor Seck also had a "welcome to the WCAL on the road" night with some nice post moves for dunks but also got caught up in the emotion with a technical. I think he may be challenging Draymond for most technicals when the season is done! Lol!
A fun night in the City's Sunset District!

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Wow. If Seck did that, his Coach needs to suspend him for the VC game. You can’t let a student section get to you, especially in WCAL play where pretty much every school shows out. Seck is still young, but mental toughness is one of the biggest parts of the game.

I chalk this up to immaturity. I say sit him one game, he learns from it and you move on.

Wow. If Seck did that, his Coach needs to suspend him for the VC game. You can’t let a student section get to you, especially in WCAL play where pretty much every school shows out. Seck is still young, but mental toughness is one of the biggest parts of the game.

I chalk this up to immaturity. I say sit him one game, he learns from it and you move on.
If? I said it...

Def will be attending the Riordan-Mitty or Bellarmine game at the forum later this season. Looked like a fantastic atmosphere at SI last night.

If? I said it...
Welcome to the WCAL, Mor! Yes, his age and immaturity showed last night. I’ll cut him some slack as this was his 1st week in rivalry games. Remember he is a young teenager, thousands of miles away from home, without family, living in a boarding dorm. That situation is tough for even college freshmen, and he’s only a high school sophomore. Props to him for taking the leap as I’m sure his Crusader support group will take good care of him. Also,SI’s frosh phenom King was constantly being challenged by R’s Hubbard, who had a great game in Bryce’s place running the offense, making the right pass, and taking it to the hoop when it was available. This was also the breakout game for R’s Vaihola as he displayed tremendous post play and footwork down on the block. Great high school atmosphere at SI last night!

Last edited:
The kid is 15 years old! I don't think he's ever played in rivalry/league games as storied as the WCAL at DME Academy. His coaches and teammates will sit him down and talk to him. It's only going to get more intense moving forward! Gonna be fun!
Well noted that Seck hasn't played in a rivalry game. He played JV last season, was the 7th man on his AAU team this past season. He is definitely been thrown in the fire. He has to listen though. He has to listen to his teammates and coaches. I have witnessed that happening from players and coaches. He has to LISTEN and APPLY. The Serra tech is proof of how costly those can be.

Interesting how the "big 3's" losses all occurred at home.
Wow! Just wow! If one is to argue to have rivalry games at your home gym, look no further than McCullough Gym last night. Easily 1500+ with an overflow standing room crowd surrounding the court at least 8 people deep in some areas! Both cheering section came out strong, SI orchestra and even the Riordan band came out. A great HS atmosphere.
As for the game, Je'Lani Clark led his team last night in both leadership and scoring with Bryce Monroe out and still on the mend. He must have had about 4 shots that had the crowd oohing and ahhing, not including his dunk in traffic on the give and go. Ball movement was excellent and the Crusaders were confident and patient in running the offense. Defense was the key for the night as the game plan certainly highlighted playing the SI guards tight and leverage Riordan's bigs vs SI bigs. Crusader juniors Lee Hubbard and Robert Vaihola had huge breakout nights both on offense and D. Hubbard was draped all over frosh phenom King Jshanni-Willhite limiting his points and creating turnovers. Vaihola used his size to outmuscle SI's jr Ethan Jew and came up big with several low post moves, follow ups and most impressively rebounds on both sides. Soph Mor Seck also had a "welcome to the WCAL on the road" night with some nice post moves for dunks but also got caught up in the emotion with a technical. I think he may be challenging Draymond for most technicals when the season is done! Lol!
A fun night in the City's Sunset District!

Full disclosure, I’m Ethan’s father. Rob played great. Love his post game. He was patient and used his body to bury his defender in the paint and had a great drop step move. However, none of his points were with Ethan defending him, so I’m not sure where you are getting that he outmuscled him. Ethan primarily defended Mor.

Full disclosure, I’m Ethan’s father. Rob played great. Love his post game. He was patient and used his body to bury his defender in the paint and had a great drop step move. However, none of his points were with Ethan defending him, so I’m not sure where you are getting that he outmuscled him. Ethan primarily defended Mor.
You are correct. My bad. Rob defended Ethan and Ethan defended Mor. Ethan did muscle Rob for a nice bucket down low. :). Your son has a nice game. Good luck the rest of the season!

The kid is 15 years old! I don't think he's ever played in rivalry/league games as storied as the WCAL at DME Academy. His coaches and teammates will sit him down and talk to him. It's only going to get more intense moving forward! Gonna be fun!
I thought one of the reasons they brought Tofi aboard. Yes, he's all new the rivalry aspect. I'm sure he will mature in time. Just a year or two ago, Jelani was letting his emotions get to him. Has matured a lot and taking his role as leader seriously. Again, like their depth.

Should be interesting once Riordan gets down to South Bay. Those places (besides Valley) should be very intimidating. Again Valley and SHC are least intimidating arenas in league.

Should be interesting once Riordan gets down to South Bay. Those places (besides Valley) should be very intimidating. Again Valley and SHC are least intimidating arenas in league.
Bellarmine comes up to the City Friday night to Crusader Forum. Should be a good one!
Yes. Will start to heat up once the South Bay leg of the schedule starts.
Bellarmine, Mitty and Riordan’s losses have come at home this season. Riordan beat Bellarmine by double digits and lost to Mitty in the final seconds last season. I expect close games this season.

Last edited:

Now ayalar,
there were times, some of the folks on here wanted you to have to sit out a game or two:)

Just having fun fun my brother:) Here's wishing you great hoops

Jan 14th Tues Night Matchups (stream info will be updated if/when available)
Tip-off @ 7:30 pm.
Tues Night Picks. Who you got?
  • Bellarmine
  • Mitty
  • Riordan
  • St. Francis

that boy better cool it... getting shook by some suburbia kids.

Disagree. Those SI kids probably said some Coming To America crap to him. Dont let them punk him. Remember what the kids all say before the game? Let us remember, that we are in the holy presence of God. lol.

Disagree. Those SI kids probably said some Coming To America crap to him. Dont let them punk him. Remember what the kids all say before the game? Let us remember, that we are in the holy presence of God. lol.

I’d bet my bottom dollar they didnt because the punishment in this day and age would be very severe and someone else would have heard it.

@Marcskit I maybe the only person in history to give himself a 1-game suspension because I realized my behavior was becoming a little too extreme. There is a difference between passionate and crazy....I think!!!

Reactions: kiddman32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT