ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

WCAL/NorCal Wed/Thursday Results
  • #5 Sacred Heart Cathedral 64 @ #4 St. Mary's-Albany 68
    • Congrats SHC on a good season!
  • #7 Carmel 59 @ #2 St. Ignatius 52
    • Upset of the night, as many were anticipating a possible SHC-SI DIII NorCal title matchup. From the reports I heard, Carmel was on fire and it was enough to hold off the late charge by the 'Cats. SI will be a team to reckon with next year.
I really couldn't call this a good season for Sacred Heart Cathedral. The only redeeming factor was that the Irish won the Bruce-Mahoney playoff and the championship will be played in baseball on March 28th at noon at Oracle/PacBell/AT&T Park. If these guys played defense to go along with their offense, they would be advancing. SI had one of their worst teams in years.

CYO...Trophy

When Riordan draws 5000 for a baseball game, let me know.
I suppose you think the Stanfel trophy is no good either?

Last edited:
Carmel beating SI wasn't that big of a surprise. Carmel is good, play an unorthodox type of trapping defense which you would like to have more than 1 day to prepare and have two legit college players.

D1 Semi finals look awesome. I think Riordan's size is to much for De La Salle. They have not seen anything like Riordan's size. De La goes into too many scoring droughts and if they are not hitting 3's won't be able to score inside over Sek and friends. Senior guards vs Soph guards. I will take the seniors.

Campo vs Salesian-Another awesome match up. Will go to the wire, I will go with Campo. All 5 guys can shoot it and they spread you out .

D2-Props to SHP, I was surprised they were able to beat Branson.

Riordan will beat DLS by 8+. Riordan guards playing at a high level. DLS best players still sophs. They will need to make 10+ 3s to have a chance. Expect DLS old 3-2 zone to keep them in the game early.

Carmel beating SI wasn't that big of a surprise. Carmel is good, play an unorthodox type of trapping defense which you would like to have more than 1 day to prepare and have two legit college players.

D1 Semi finals look awesome. I think Riordan's size is to much for De La Salle. They have not seen anything like Riordan's size. De La goes into too many scoring droughts and if they are not hitting 3's won't be able to score inside over Sek and friends. Senior guards vs Soph guards. I will take the seniors.

Campo vs Salesian-Another awesome match up. Will go to the wire, I will go with Campo. All 5 guys can shoot it and they spread you out .

D2-Props to SHP, I was surprised they were able to beat Branson.
but campo struggles to stay in front of teams often... and when the other teams have more than one way to score... it might be too much to overcome

Wish I was watching my Knights Saturday....but getting to see De La/Riordan is going to be a nice consolation prize for me.

I got Riordan winning 65-57

Also shout out Bryce Monroe with a 30+ point effort last night. He got some criticism on this board from people, including myself, and he is proving right now he is a clutch player. He doesn't want this season to end!

Reactions: cherylbaustin
Also shout out Bryce Monroe with a 30+ point effort last night. He got some criticism on this board from people, including myself, and he is proving right now he is a clutch player. He doesn't want this season to end!
he acting he reppin for the purple and gold of LA!! doing his Kobe!!
curry will never be better than kobe

Riordan will beat DLS by 8+. Riordan guards playing at a high level. DLS best players still sophs. They will need to make 10+ 3s to have a chance. Expect DLS old 3-2 zone to keep them in the game early.

This is Riordan’s year. DLS is a year away, and the Crusaders get them at home. Both teams have lost some head scratchers this year, but both both seem to be peaking right now. Only 1 will still be peaking after Saturday. Riordan by 8.

I really couldn't call this a good season for Sacred Heart Cathedral. The only redeeming factor was that the Irish won the Bruce-Mahoney playoff and the championship will be played in baseball on March 28th at noon at Oracle/PacBell/AT&T Park. If these guys played defense to go along with their offense, they would be advancing. SI had one of their worst teams in years.

Mitty will beat Bishop O'Dowd with their home court advantage.

De La Salle will beat Riordan with their big defense. (Lend us some players...).

SHC will need to bring in a few players with the X factor...especially on the SIZE category. This is what Mckay seems to be missing the most, he hasn't had any dominant 6'5 player or taller since he has been here. Let's hope he can find some gems in the new class and a possible transfer to assist this mens' basketball team play defense next year. They have team speed but no size to give them a break when they need it.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

De La Salle will beat Riordan with their big defense. (Lend us some players...).

Record-wise I think we'd all like to have a higher win %. Reaching Nor Cals in back to back seasons, and throw in a CCS Open title you pause a bit and say, "Ok, I'll take that". I wasnt expecting too much from this year's team other than hoping to get the BM to the baseball game which they did. This season wasnt not about SH. This season is about Riordan.

Next season losing McCoy is going to show. He played well and improved every year he was at SH. He was the most steady and reliable player MacKay had. Next year hopefully Eli McCarty adds to his game and becomes a dependable inside guy for SH. Spears, McPherson and Crawford should all see improvement as well.

I don’t think especially if you are a high school hoop fan from back in the day especially you could not be more excited than now. Although I think it would be a plus to have had a few more teams in the open, you could not ask for a better lineup of games in some of these divisions.

You Sheldon Dublin and ODowd Mitty. Would have been interesting had Riordan beat Dublin could easily been Riordan Sheldon. I honestly think that would be one of the best matchups of the year, talk about two rosters with talent and size.

But thanks to keeping it at five teams you have Riordan De La(is Alloco at practice today giving zone advice and tips) in a matchup of two historical basketball programs over the years. And you have Campo Salesian and what better time to catch fire than Salesian’s has at the biggest moment.

I will skip D2, and moving onto D3 you have one of the hardest working and nicest coaches around and his team, Coach Bucks and his St Mary’s squad playing a 16 seed and two teams he can definitely beat to get to a state title. RB is a great friend and nobody deserves a state title appearance more than him and I would love to see it happen for him. When your competing with talent with Salesian’s, he works very hard to do what he can with the given talent.

Don’t know much about the other teams, but being born and raised in SF, you have the Lincoln Mustangs, makes me recall the Carl Jacobs years with the Smedley brothers. Would love to see the AAA add another banner.

One thing I think is unfortunate is the excitement of the three games coming up aka nor cal finals, why why why did the CIF remove the NorCal finals out of Sacramento. I recall the days sitting on the floor watching some barn burner nor cal finals then following up the next year at state.

Good luck to the WCAL, one state title would be awesome. Two would be golden. And good luck to all the other privates as well, and that public school on the hill in SF with some serious basketball history. Wish I could get out and watch.

Reactions: jordan24
This is Riordan’s year. DLS is a year away, and the Crusaders get them at home. Both teams have lost some head scratchers this year, but both both seem to be peaking right now. Only 1 will still be peaking after Saturday. Riordan by 8.

If this was Riordan's year they would be in Open. Not D1.

Just looked at the D3 brackets and wow SH squandered an opportune chance to win state this year. The highest seed in the south left is a 5 seed. If they beat St. Mary's yesterday, they wouldve been the highest seed left in the North.

Last edited:
Record-wise I think we'd all like to have a higher win %. Reaching Nor Cals in back to back seasons, and throw in a CCS Open title you pause a bit and say, "Ok, I'll take that". I wasnt expecting too much from this year's team other than hoping to get the BM to the baseball game which they did.

Next season losing McCoy is going to show. He played well and improved every year he was at SH. He was the most steady and reliable player MacKay had. Next year hopefully Eli McCarty adds to his game and becomes a dependable inside guy for SH. Spears, McPherson and Crawford should all see improvement as well.
A couple of big transfers wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited:

CYO...Trophy

Record-wise I think we'd all like to have a higher win %. Reaching Nor Cals in back to back seasons, and throw in a CCS Open title you pause a bit and say, "Ok, I'll take that". I wasnt expecting too much from this year's team other than hoping to get the BM to the baseball game which they did. This season wasnt not about SH. This season is about Riordan.

Yes I agree on all your points....AND any big hopefully who wants to go to school in the city hopefully goes to SHC rather SI or RIordan, that would help tremondously. Or at least strong Frosh A and B class like Riordan this year.

Yes I agree on all your points....AND any big hopefully who wants to go to school in the city hopefully goes to SHC rather SI or RIordan, that would help tremondously. Or at least strong Frosh A and B class like Riordan this year.

I can respect a dream....not

Just looked at the D3 brackets and wow SH squandered an opportune chance to win state this year. The highest seed in the south left is a 5 seed. If they beat St. Mary's yesterday, they wouldve been the highest seed left in the North.

It was suppose to be Riordan's year last year too...so hopefully they do better. I agree but you can only "run and gun" for so long...They needed a guy with some length that will alter the game just enough to rest the smaller players. After playing thru the brutal WCAL looks like they ran out of gas or had no reserve left toward the end to deal with a longer season. Small guys can only play great defense for so long and its hard to keep that pace up in the WCAL and beyond.

It used to be a synergy with WCAL programs. After a tough (not so tough in the city) fought WCAL league battle, all WCAL schools cheered for each other. Is it the SHC has a little man complex with SI & SHC...

I would suggest one get used to it...it is not going away.

It used to be a synergy with WCAL programs. After a tough (not so tough in the city) fought WCAL league battle, all WCAL schools cheered for each other. Is it the SHC has a little man complex with SI & SHC...

I wouldn't say a little man complex, just pointing out the obvious...just asking for one. Having Oscar Cheng last year helped just enough to win the OPEN, which no one has done before in SF!

Last edited:

McCoy is one of Coach Monroe’s kids!

why would you cheer for the enemy?

Having a tall guy is not everything. Cheng last year obviously helped being a vertically imposing player but it was Flowers 6'2 that did alot of the rebounding. In previous years, Amin Olgesby was only 6'3, Herman Pratt 6'1 were primary rebounders/defenders. So yes height is great, but heart, effort, and defensive awareness supersedes that.

Reactions: rabbit5
Having a tall guy is not everything. Cheng last year obviously helped being a vertically imposing player but it was Flowers 6'2 that did alot of the rebounding. In previous years, Amin Olgesby was only 6'3, Herman Pratt 6'1 were primary rebounders/defenders. So yes height is great, but heart, effort, and defensive awareness supersedes that.
Oisin McCormack’s length certainly helped as it freed up space for his guards and Cheng. I really liked his game.

Reactions: Scott2138
CYO...Trophy

Your a joke!! Your a die hard Riordan fan that lives in the past. You better thank Renard and Bryce for transferring to Riordan because if it wasn’t for them, Riordan would not be the power house that they are today.

Ok, maybe not Riordan’s year to win the state Open, but they are way more talented than DLS this year, and it is time to beat them. I wasn’t saying this is Riordan’s team ever.

Ok, maybe not Riordan’s year to win the state Open, but they are way more talented than DLS this year, and it is time to beat them. I wasn’t saying this is Riordan’s team ever.

Of note, #1 seed St. John Bosco lost. So theres that giant they dont have to slay if they make it to the finals.

Your a joke!! Your a die hard Riordan fan that lives in the past. You better thank Renard and Bryce for transferring to Riordan because if it wasn’t for them, Riordan would not be the power house that they are today.

At least Riordan has a past or Legacy as the call it.

It seems that the Riordan pipeline is strong and with girls there next year and new FB field. Why would any talented athlete go to the Tenderloin.

Not bad mouthing the area, just saying.that a bottom feeder in the WCAL and only in CCS because of OCC schedule. Has to be realistic...

LHJ will fill Bryce’s Nike

Yes, true, but we don't have one of those players this year either...(ones that you listed) Im just saying he was enough to make last year better.

It seems that the Riordan pipeline is strong and with girls there next year and new FB field. Why would any talented athlete go to the Tenderloin.

Not bad mouthing the area, just saying.that a bottom feeder in the WCAL and only in CCS because of OCC schedule. Has to be realistic...

What Legacy, Mission on Tuition? Stop Hating!

What I don't understand is the manner in which Riordan uses their bigs. It's as if coaches haven't heard of teaching a simple drop step. With the outside shooting of Jelani and Bryce not to mention Bryce's ability to penetrate and the fast break points, this should have been an offense that was next to impossible to stop. An in out game rather than silly lobs should have led to a NorCal Open title. That's not on the players.

Reactions: Scott2138
Saturday March 7th Open Division Semi-Final Results
  • #3 Bishop O'Dowd 73 @ #2 Mitty 60
    • The Dragons with an impressive win on the road in San Jose. BOD led virtually wire to wire. Mitty hung tough, but the Dragons had an answer for every Monarch score. Really impressed with the Dragons spacing and offensive scheme that was led by its steady point guard. Roberson, Bowser and Lewis controlled the boards and scored from both outside, inside and off putbacks. Dragon D challenged every Monarch shot. I've always been a fan of head coach Lou Richie. His team struggled earlier this season, but his staff and team re-grouped and now have won 18 straight games! BOD moves on for its NCS Open rematch with Dublin for the NorCal Open Title. Congrats on a great season Mitty! Mitchell, Bhandal and Burris return next season and once again will be a favorite in the WCAL race.
Saturday March 7th Division I Semifinal
  • #4 De La Salle @ #1 Archbishop Riordan (Crusader Forum - 6pm)
    • Game has been postponed tentatively for Monday @ 7pm. Location TBD

Last edited:

The Lady Crusaders could be something next year. Stay tuned!

Reactions: SFcityfan

Riordan has a very good shot at winning D1 State if they can handle DLS and Campo......on the Socal side its 8 seed Ribet Academy vs. 14 seed Renaissance Academy. This is probably Riordan's BEST chance at a State Title...in god knows how long.

Btw I know Ribet is good.....not sure about Renaissance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT