ADVERTISEMENT

6 weeks until Week 0

EastBayFan

Superstar
Jun 5, 2017
Wow can you believe it! Only 6 weeks away from the start of the 2019 season. I feel like this board has lost some luster in the past few season, and most of that is due to most of the responses going off topic, and turning into a Folsom/DLS, who would win, imaginary, d***k measuring contest. I’ve attempted this in the past, but I’d thought I’d try one more time for the sake of HS football particularly in the NCS. Let’s have a relevant discussion on the 2019 season. Post any questions or comments you have, but let’s try and keep it related to the upcoming season.

Here are a few of mine...

DLS is obviously the favorite to win D1, but what teams could surprise. I’ve heard good things about Amador Valleys team this summer. Could anyone else sneak into the equation?

The new divisions. With so much change, who is the contenders in each division, and who is everyone’s surprise picks?

New coaches in new places...
Hodgins at Berkeley
Livermore
Dublin
Dougherty Valley

How will these teams fair.

Can the EBAL retake the throne as the power conference in NCS, or is the BVAL heavyweights too much to overcome.

Just a few topics to hopefully get this discussion and board back on a hot STREAK...(no pun intended)

EBAL isnt goin away any time soon.

In the Mt division multiple teams are in the power house discussion. MV (returning D1 talent) and SRV (strong JV results 3 years in a row) are both going to be powerhouse programs. Cal is always big, strong and formidable. DLS is, well, nuff said. Now we add CVC into the discussion and that leaves only one soft spot in the schedule (FHS) and that remains yet to be seen. There are three teams in discussion for a state bowl bid from one league (DLS, SRV, CVC D2) With only one team having a lot of question marks (FHS), I would say EBAL/BVAL are almost eye to eye competitively with EBAL having the edge because of DLS.

The Valley Division side of EBAL is not in the same conversation as either of the above, but will be a presence in the playoffs in both D1 and D2. Maybe not necessarily by the teams you think. AVHS wont surprise anyone and has a talented roster with a formidable coaching staff lead by Danny Jones. Jones might be one of the brightest young new coaches in the region. They will be dominant during the regular season and will be formidable during the playoffs.

Not normally in this (dominant team) discussion is Livermore HS. They are on their 3rd head coach in 4 seasons, and have not had a dominant run in the playoffs since the early 90’s. But this will be the Cowboys first veteran head coach in over a decade. New head coach Coach John Wade brings two plus decades of experience with him and he has a resume that most programs would be excited about. More importantly he’s taking over a program where the incoming Junior Class has not lost a game other than to DLS in two seasons. With a soft non conference schedule, and an overall soft conference in the Valley Division, they will likely face off against AV for the league championship in week 10. And they will be be in the mix for the D2 section championship with Campo and CVC having a dominant edge this year. Closing out the division, Granada will be competitive under quality culture and coaching but will miss the playoffs for the first time in several years. Finally Dublin and Dougherty have a ton to prove and will be entering the season under brand new coaching staffs.

Overall the quality of football in the tri Valley remains strong.

Agree with the above analysis. AV looks like a favorite in Valley Division with Livermore. As far as top league, DLS will beat any one in the BVAL and it will be Monte Vista and Clayton Valley with shots against BVAL favorite Liberty (although Pitt could be close) and California v Freedom and Antioch and San Ramon Valley v Freedom. Interestingly no Pitt game against EBAL in regular season but they do play a strong Serra and well coached Wilcox in the CCS and St Mary in out of section games to gage strength before league. Heritage plays a couple teams in EBAL teams but not expected to be leader in their league. It may not be until playoffs where it will be determined. Overall top to bottom WBAL Mountain may be stronger, but could still be a DLS, Liberty, Pitt in order ranking although Pitt lost alot and may be more middle of the pack among the top teams between the two leagues. EBAL Mountain could be a little stronger this season overall.

Agree with the above analysis. AV looks like a favorite in Valley Division with Livermore. As far as top league, DLS will beat any one in the BVAL and it will be Monte Vista and Clayton Valley with shots against BVAL favorite Liberty (although Pitt could be close) and California v Freedom and Antioch and San Ramon Valley v Freedom. Interestingly no Pitt game against EBAL in regular season but they do play a strong Serra and well coached Wilcox in the CCS and St Mary in out of section games to gage strength before league. Heritage plays a couple teams in EBAL teams but not expected to be leader in their league. It may not be until playoffs where it will be determined. Overall top to bottom WBAL Mountain may be stronger, but could still be a DLS, Liberty, Pitt in order ranking although Pitt lost alot and may be more middle of the pack among the top teams between the two leagues. EBAL Mountain could be a little stronger this season overall.
Agree. The Pittsburg against St. Mary’s Stockton game will be very telling for both teams. Not week 0 but the California against Antioch game is intriguing in week 1

One month from today! Cameron Salerno is a young sports journalist who's been covering prep sports in the foothills/Sacramento area. Here are his week 0 matchups of note:

I'm also interested in how the Rio Linda/Center game turns out as well as Yuba City vs Nevada Union.

Can't wait for it all to start up!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT