ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Games

ararar

Hall of Famer
Dec 8, 2012
OPEN DIVISION

Serra, San Mateo vs. St. John Bosco on Saturday, Dec. 10 at 8:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

* TV: Spectrum News 1/Spectrum SportsNet

DIVISION 1–AA

De La Salle vs. Lincoln, San Diego on Friday, Dec. 9 at 8:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

*TV: Spectrum News 1/Spectrum SportsNet LA

DIVISION 1–A

Pittsburg vs. Liberty, Bakersfield vs. on Saturday, Dec. 10 at 4:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

DIVISION 2–AA

McClymonds vs. Mater Dei Catholic on Friday, Dec. 9 at 4:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

* TV: Spectrum News 1/Spectrum SportsNet LA

DIVISION 2–A

San Ramon Valley vs. Granite Hills on Sat., Dec. 10 at 12:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

DIVISION 3–AA

San Jacinto at Grant on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 3–A

Laguna Hills at Bellarmine on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 4–AA

Northwood at Escalon on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 4–A

Granada Hills at San Marin on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 5–AA

Muir at Hughson on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 5–A

Shafter at Orland on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 6–AA

Classical Academy at Santa Teresa on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 6–A

San Gabriel at Atascadero on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 7–AA

Pinole Valley def. Mendota - Final: 34-21

DIVISION 7–A

Crenshaw vs. Lincoln, San Francisco at Kezar Stadium on Sat., Dec. 10 at 1:00 p.m.

Seems like with exception of open, the north has done pretty well. I don’t have the stats but I want to say we are +50%. The intriguing game to me is DLS vs Lincoln. Hard for a HS team that hasn’t faced DLS to prepare for the veer and what they do. Then again, Lincoln has some amazing talented kids. (As much as anybody they’ve played).
I think Pitt has no problem with Liberty.

Loving how the Bay Area is represented. Hell we even got two teams from Silicon Valley. Glad to see Grant in there as well, well done.

The game I really love for me memory sakes is my freshman year the Bruce Mahoney game was in old Kezar. To see Crenshaw coming to Kezar is pretty cool in my book.

MD(SD) has a nice QB headed to USan Diego.Their last two games have shown they will play a full 4 quarters.They were down 21-0 before running off 22 straight.

Lincoln shut down a strong SC running game last night.I don’t believe SC running game is better than DLS but never the less they eliminated it.
Lincoln’s top DL(USC commit) left the game with a knee injury and didn’t return so if he can’t play it obviously helps DLS

I think Pitt has no problem with Liberty.
They had a problem with them last year losing by 4TD in the NorCal D-1 championship game.

No disrespect to Pitt, they’re a good team, but why on earth do they get to play in a bowl game?
Why not. They lost to Folsom by 8, and DLS by 7, and beat a Manteca team pretty damn good that many thought they didn’t have a chance. 12-2, why not. Only two losses by 15 points total to be number 1 public school in Nor Cal and a reputable program for years. I think Pitt deserves it. Ain’t they fault others lost and they just happened to win.

Why not. They lost to Folsom by 8, and DLS by 7, and beat a Manteca team pretty damn good that many thought they didn’t have a chance. 12-2, why not. Only two losses by 15 points total to be number 1 public school in Nor Cal and a reputable program for years. I think Pitt deserves it. Ain’t they fault others lost and they just happened to win.
Because they lost in their section playoffs.

No disrespect to Pitt, they’re a good team, but why on earth do they get to play in a bowl game?
Is this a question about the NCS playoff format?

I know most people believe that if you lose in the playoffs, you should be done. And many people also believe that the NCS only uses this format because De La Salle has been so dominant and everyone else in NCS D1 was whining.

However, as a section, the format works by getting more of the top teams into the regional bowl games. Basically, the top two teams in the NCS can both move on where almost every other section has their 2nd best team sitting at home. If a particular section wants to get more of its best teams into those regional and state games, then this is how to do it. After all, Pitt still had to win the D1 title game vs Clayton Valley.

People have every right to disagree with this in principle. Fair enough. However, it does work in favor of the NCS.

Reactions: NCS707
Yeah Pitt has a good team, no doubt, but don’t belong in a bowl game after losing to De La Salle. With the amount of talent that they have on their roster, they should have beaten DLS with relatively ease.

Reactions: remc and SJS Lord
In terms of talent and where Pitt ranks in norcal and state they certainly belong playing for a title. The format is what it is but this Pitt team is loaded. Question anybody and it’s Bellarmine. They aren’t even a top 25 team in norcal.

Yeah Pitt has a good team, no doubt, but don’t belong in a bowl game after losing to De La Salle. With the amount of talent that they have on their roster, they should have beaten DLS with relatively ease.
So who would you put above Pitt

They lost in the playoffs.

OPEN DIVISION

Serra, San Mateo vs. St. John Bosco on Saturday, Dec. 10 at 8:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

DIVISION 1–AA

De La Salle vs. Lincoln, San Diego on Friday, Dec. 9 at 8:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

DIVISION 1–A

Pittsburg vs. Liberty, Bakersfield vs. on Saturday, Dec. 10 at 4:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

DIVISION 2–AA

McClymonds vs. Mater Dei Catholic on Friday, Dec. 9 at 4:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

DIVISION 2–A

San Ramon Valley vs. Granite Hills on Sat., Dec. 10 at 12:00 p.m. at Saddleback College

DIVISION 3–AA

San Jacinto at Grant on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 3–A

Laguna Hills at Bellarmine on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 4–AA

Northwood at Escalon on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 4–A

Granada Hills at San Marin on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 5–AA

Muir at Hughson on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 5–A

Shafter at Orland on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 6–AA

Classical Academy at Santa Teresa on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 6–A

San Gabriel at Atascadero on Sat., Dec. 10 at 6:00 p.m.

DIVISION 7–AA

Pinole Valley def. Mendota - Final: 34-21

DIVISION 7–A

Crenshaw vs. Lincoln, San Francisco at Kezar Stadium on Sat., Dec. 10 at 1:00 p.m.
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have Comcast/Xfinity. Spectrum is an app. I have over 200 channels and 387 apps on my TV but no spectrum. Oh well.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have Comcast/Xfinity. Spectrum is an app. I have over 200 channels and 387 apps on my TV but no spectrum. Oh well.
I don’t have spectrum either but I have a family member who does and I use their password to watch on my computer 🖥️

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Because the North goes out of their way to try and make sure their best gets represented. Meanwhile the heavy hitters in the south get bracketed so only 1 advances. Its frankly why all these games have become ridiculous. I could get behind the ole 4 or 5 games to decide the different champs, this format is pretty ridiculous honestly. Clearly the two best teams played each other already, what’s left feels more like participation trophies than state champions.

In terms of talent and where Pitt ranks in norcal and state they certainly belong playing for a title. The format is what it is but this Pitt team is loaded. Question anybody and it’s Bellarmine. They aren’t even a top 25 team in norcal.
Oh so now we are awarding based on talent? Shouldn’t they then be pair with say MD who is talented but sitting home? Oh thats right no participation trophy for MD.

Because the North goes out of their way to try and make sure their best gets represented. Meanwhile the heavy hitters in the south get bracketed so only 1 advances. Its frankly why all these games have become ridiculous. I could get behind the ole 4 or 5 games to decide the different champs, this format is pretty ridiculous honestly. Clearly the two best teams played each other already, what’s left feels more like participation trophies than state champions.
MD and SJB need to play their only little game and let the rest of the state battle it out in a true playoffs. Nobody is close to those two academies and we would see some epic matchups. I know it’s a pipe dream…

Yes, if the SS did what the NCS does, then Mater Dei would destroy whomever was the North's 1AA representative.

Reactions: Santa Ball
MD and SJB need to play their only little game and let the rest of the state battle it out in a true playoffs. Nobody is close to those two academies and we would see some epic matchups. I know it’s a pipe dream…
Yet they did battle it out and the loser is at home, that is frankly the point. But there were also a handful of other really good teams forced home by playing them as well. That is also the point.

Despite being a WCAL team with a rich history, Bellarmine didn’t qualify for the CCS Open Division playoff bracket (set up primarily for WCAL teams) and they tied for 5th place in league. So here we are a few weeks later and they’re playing for a “State Championship”.
Do they still have approximately 2,000 students at the all male school, or has the enrollment dropped where they are now considered a small school?

Reactions: NCS707
Despite being a WCAL team with a rich history, Bellarmine didn’t qualify for the CCS Open Division playoff bracket (set up primarily for WCAL teams) and they tied for 5th place in league. So here we are a few weeks later and they’re playing for a “State Championship”.
Do they still have approximately 2,000 students at the all male school, or has the enrollment dropped where they are now considered a small school?
Bellarmine is about 1600 roughly. But one thing many don’t know about, is there robotics team is almost as big as the football team spots wise. And that’s not a joke, one of my foreman is huge into robotics. It’s not your ordinary 1600 all boys full of jocks. If it was they would dominate in basketball as well. Only reason why they did at times was thanks to good coaching. But most of their kids who could play past high school hit the Ivy League

Reactions: observer22
So who would you put above Pitt
One of the teams that won their section championship game. Could have placed McClymonds, SRV, El Cerrito, or Grant in their place.

Not saying Pitt isn’t a good team but DLS beat them in the championship game.

One of the teams that won their section championship game. Could have placed McClymonds, SRV, El Cerrito, or Grant in their place.

Not saying Pitt isn’t a good team but DLS beat them in the championship game.
But that wasn’t “The Championship Game”. It was a qualifier for the Open title, and Pitt then was placed into the D1 championship game. It wasn’t an elimination game. You can argue how different sections have different rules that allow certain teams in that would not get in if they were in other sections, but Pitt did nothing wrong here. They beat the teams they needed to in order to advance.

But that wasn’t “The Championship Game”. It was a qualifier for the Open title, and Pitt then was placed into the D1 championship game. It wasn’t an elimination game. You can argue how different sections have different rules that allow certain teams in that would not get in if they were in other sections, but Pitt did nothing wrong here. They beat the teams they needed to in order to advance.
You mean they lost to the team they needed to for them to advance

I'm not saying that Pitt did anything wrong. Well, other than losing to DLS.

Would everyone be complaining if CVC beat Pitt and advanced to nor-cals? Or is it just because Pitt got the chance to continue the issue?
I actually think by Pitt losing to DLS and then moving on to beat another’s section champ screams to have a true nor-cal playoff system. Do away with section playoffs or have 2 rounds of sections then 2 rounds of regionals then the state game.

At least Pitt is one of the top teams in their section. Is Bellarmine?
Bellarmine would probably be ranked between #8-#10 in the CCS. And they have the largest population (by far) of boys of any school in the section. The entire process of these “championship” games is ridiculous. Different sections have different rules/guidelines for qualifying and now you end up with ridiculous results. My suggestion is to have the best of the south play the best of the north for a true champ. And then have the best of 3 from south/north in enrollment divisions (large, medium/small) meet for actual state championships (whether or not said team won their section title). The way it is setup now, it is waaayyyy more advantageous to finish #9 than #8 in the CCS. Finish #9 and you dodge playing Serra and then have a real chance to move to a NorCal game…finish #8 and you have Serra hang 50 on you in the first half of the first round. (Same can be said down the line…better to finish #17 than #16, #25 than #24)…does this make any sense? No.

They should/ could have been undefeated. They had the talent to beat anyone on their schedule . I'm an NCS guy, but Pitt's season should be over after the DLS loss. Per usual. Don't like the NCS playoff format.

So if we have Comcast/Xfinity we can’t see the championship games? First time in my memory

You have to buy the spectrum app in the App Store. Now ararar said to get the spectrum sports net. But he also has the news mentioned. He said that there is a LA one which inferred a norcal one. The App Store makes no distinction between the two. If I were to do this I would just get the sports app but it costs money. Could be a lot of money.

I purchased the sling TV App by accident and now I found out that it’s $40 a month so you never know. Either way it sounds like you have to watch on your computer and hope you bought the right spectrum App.

Does anyone else know if and where we can watch this on TV? Ararar do you know if you have to purchase the spectrum news App as well. This is not good.

Purchasing the spectrum TV App might include some of the above Apps.

I personally will not be purchasing spectrum and will have to rely on the board for my information.

This sucks!

I get the money side for the CIF, but this is a bad look for your premier state sporting event.

Looks like all games will be available on NFHS network

Reactions: smartbomb
Thanks Streak One. Can someone on the board list the 5 top teams and the day and time they play. Thanks.

Does anyone else know if and where we can watch this on TV? Ararar do you know if you have to purchase the spectrum news App as well. This is not good.
If you can find someone who will let you use their spectrum login then it’s easy to watch off the internet .other wise you’re going to have to pay one way or another.
All games and times are in the first post

Crazy what the Trinity League has done to the LA Section. Less than ten years ago Crenshaw was playing De La Salle in the open and giving them problems until The Black Mamba got hurt. Now they’re relegated to playing Lincoln-SF in the toilet bowl…

• Haha
Reactions: NCS707 and THEOC89
Thanks Streak One. Can someone on the board list the 5 top teams and the day and time they play. Thanks.
OPEN DIVISION

DIVISION 1–AA

DIVISION 1–A

DIVISION 2–AA

DIVISION 2–A

Reactions: Rmbr26
How is Bellarmine playing in CCS D-II any different than SRV, Rocklin, and Del Oro playing in their respective sections’ D-II? All from what are supposed to be the sections’ top leagues.

Stop with the “only the very top teams should advance” nonsense. That was never the intent of the CIF playoffs.

Last edited:
Bellarmine lost 6 times four in league. That’s why they are playing in D-3A. You can also argue that Pitt lost and did not win a section title and that losers should sit at home like MD

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT