ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle-Freedom Open matchup

concrete17

Hall of Famer
Sep 20, 2008
Oakland
Since I don't seem to have a life this weekend (thank you senor codeine) thought it a good time to start this thread and pump up my posting numbers as well as those imaginary Rivals Trophy Points listed in our member profiles

This was the SFGates synopsis of the Pittsburg-Freedom matchup:

Freedom-Oakley 55, Pittsburg 35: In the same week he was named Bay Valley Athletic League MVP, Ronnie Rivers posted 355 yards of total offense and six touchdowns to lead the host Falcons to their first NCS championship appearance — an Open Divisionmatchup against De La Salle on Dec. 2. Freedom (11-0) led 6-0 after one play — a 67-yard run by Rivers — and never trailed despite a handful of Pittsburg comeback attempts. Pittsburg (9-2) reduced 20-point deficits seven on two occasions, but Freedom always had an answer. It was almost always Rivers. The senior running back finished with 298 yards rushing and 57 receiving. He rushed for five scores and caught a pass for a sixth. Pittsburg tailback Montaz Thompson had 116 total yards and two TDs before leaving with an apparent ankle injury early in the third quarter.

Special thanks to Chace Bryson and Mitch Stephens
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Marin-Catholic-rides-out-storm-Miramonte-10625695.php

My questions since Freedom's Rivers was the scoring machine in that game....
1) Do the Falcons have any other scoring options or is he their Nagee Harris ?
2) Will the Spartans be any better at slowing him down than the Pitt Pirates ?

Last edited:
This should be an epic matchup. I'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully Freedom doesn't wilt under pressure of playing such a historic opponent and plays up to the level they've played all season long. It'd be nice for once to see someone step up and seriously challenge the Spartans for an NCS title. I really think the Falcons can do it, the only question to be answered is --- will they?

-DLS has had plenty of challenges for NCS titles.
-Freedoms biggest asset is their balance on offense. Cant be one dimensional vs a DLS defense.
-Can Freedoms D slow down the one dimensional DLS offense enough- that will be a tough challenge.
-Not sure Freedom will score more than 21.
-I would be surprised if Freedom held DLS under 30

regardless, I would expect a good, close game as DLS's offense is not as explosive or prolific as in most years.

Reactions: ncscalfootball
-DLS has had plenty of challenges for NCS titles.

When? I'm wondering what your definition of a challenge is.

Over their current string of 24 titles, there's only one that could be considered close by scoring standards. 2005 against San Leandro. They "only" won by 14. And that team got shut out. The next closest was 20 points in 1997. The average score of the past 24 games is 41-9.

It could be considered a stretch to say that they've had a single challenge, but "plenty" isn't even close to correct.

Reactions: Bubba3000
[B said:
"paul_johnson884[/B], post: 146421, member: 828"]-DLS has had plenty of challenges for NCS titles.
-Freedoms biggest asset is their balance on offense. Cant be one dimensional vs a DLS defense.
-Can Freedoms D slow down the one dimensional DLS offense enough- that will be a tough challenge.
-Not sure Freedom will score more than 21.
-I would be surprised if Freedom held DLS under 30

regardless, I would expect a good, close game as DLS's offense is not as explosive or prolific as in most years.

Some good points paul_johnson. Looking at the teams records & opponents it appears DLS has the edge on defense and Freedom has the edge on offense. On defense the most points scored by any of DLS opponents were both Servite & SRV who both put up 27-points vs the Spartans. For Freedom the Pitt team put up 41 & 35 points in the 2 games they played.
Switching over to offense because of its passing Freedom has the more prolific offense and capable of putting up higher scores
& has scored 40+ in all 11 of their games. DLS with a slightly tougher schedule has scored 40+ in 4 of their 11 games.
I would tend to think this will be low scoring affair and similar to yourself see something along the lines of 28-21 or 24-21 with the winner being whomever avoids the turnovers & makes the least mistakes.

Some good points paul_johnson. Looking at the teams records & opponents it appears DLS has the edge on defense and Freedom has the edge on offense. On defense the most points scored by any of DLS opponents were both Servite & SRV who both put up 27-points vs the Spartans. For Freedom the Pitt team put up 41 & 35 points in the 2 games they played.
Switching over to offense because of its passing Freedom has the more prolific offense and capable of putting up higher scores
& has scored 40+ in all 11 of their games. DLS with a slightly tougher schedule has scored 40+ in 4 of their 11 games.
I would tend to think this will be low scoring affair and similar to yourself see something along the lines of 28-21 or 24-21 with the winner being whomever avoids the turnovers & makes the least mistakes.
GUYS.....The meet between DLS and Freedom will be at Dublin which to me is too far away for both Freedom and DLS.....The Pittsburg stadium or even DVC would seem to be more the place to hold this meet, as the fan base is in this area...Dublin can hold a big crowd, but so can Pittsburg or DVC...Dublin may be a neutral but not for this game, several years ago, Pittsburg met DLS at Dublin and it drew a big crowd, but again...its too far away.

GUYS.....The meet between DLS and Freedom will be at Dublin which to me is too far away for both Freedom and DLS.....The Pittsburg stadium or even DVC would seem to be more the place to hold this meet, as the fan base is in this area...Dublin can hold a big crowd, but so can Pittsburg or DVC...Dublin may be a neutral but not for this game, several years ago, Pittsburg met DLS at Dublin and it drew a big crowd, but again...its too far away.

The past 4 have been played at the same location. And 6 of the past 8. The only other locations they've used since 1998 are Memorial Stadium in Berkeley and Diablo Valley College. DVC hasn't been used in quite a while but would certainly be closer.

Over their current string of 24 titles, there's only one that could be considered close by scoring standards. 2005 against San Leandro. They "only" won by 14. And that team got shut out. The next closest was 20 points in 1997. The average score of the past 24 games is 41-9.

It could be considered a stretch to say that they've had a single challenge, but "plenty" isn't even close to correct.
If you're in a championship game you are a formidable opponent. You didn't get there by accident. Dls' success is because they recognize that in those opponents and they prep accordingly, not because those opponents are not a challenge.

Freedom can win this game if they overcome the DLS mystic that so many teams seem to wilt under

The past 4 have been played at the same location. And 6 of the past 8. The only other locations they've used since 1998 are Memorial Stadium in Berkeley and Diablo Valley College. DVC hasn't been used in quite a while but would certainly be closer.

Three have been many NCS championship games played at the Oakland Coliseum. I haven't looked it up but I think there have been more games played at the Coliseum since 1998 than at all 3 of those other sites combined. Dublin does seem to be the main site over the past 6 years though.

Three have been many NCS championship games played at the Oakland Coliseum. I haven't looked it up but I think there have been more games played at the Coliseum since 1998 than at all 3 of those other sites combined. Dublin does seem to be the main site over the past 6 years though.

Remember attending a couple championships games at the Coliseum; last time being 2010 at the Cal High-DLS game. Was never a big fan of the large venue that is 16.5% filled.

Since the famous Pitt victory over DLS in 1991, the only team that has scored at least 17 on the Spartans in an NCS championship game is Cal High, and they've done it twice. The Grizz put up 17 in 2013 and 21 in 2010 (with the venerable Concrete 17 in attendance).

Despite the impressive shutout of CVC the other night, it would appear this Freedom team is poised to put up more than 2 TDs against DLS as they have scored at least 41 points in every game so far this season. Especially since this year's Spartans have given up at least 17 points already 5 times. The bigger question is can Freedom score more points on Sparty than it gives up and beat them?

I like their chances, but still would bet on DLS if I had to put money on the game. They've got as good of a chance as any other team in the past 25 years. Should be a good game!

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
if dls wins is there a game before the state game?

It depends on whether DLS is selected as the NorCal Open representative or not. If so, no more games until the state Open final. If someone else gets chosen (maybe St. Mary's Stockton), then DLS would play another NorCal team first.

Last edited:
Watching the Freedom vs Pitt replay on NFHS network, I sense DLS's defense is much stronger than Pitt's. But, has DLS faced an offense with the likes of Freedom? The closest I can think is Antioch's. Freedom's Ronnie Rivers reminds me of Najee Harris of Antioch and Dusty Frampton of St. Mary's Stockton, very explosive once past the D-line. DLS got past Antioch 28-21. But, both Pitt and Freedom scored big in their wins vs Antioch, 61-35 and 65-28, respectively. However, since close wins vs Antioch and SRV, DLS has performed like the DLS we all expect, shutting down any challenges expected from California, Monte Vista, and CVC. The DLS defense has been stellar. I can't help but think that Freedom's offense is much better than Servite's, East's, and SRV, and anticipate they will score more than these teams vs DLS, if indeed there is still "any" question as to DLS's defense this year compared to prior years. DLS's offense does not go to the air much. Instead, they are averaging over 311 yards per game. But, that is a solid ground game that has carried DLS in the past and throughout this season. The key to a DLS victory over Freedom, will be there defense. Will they be able to stop Mr. Rivers and the balanced offense Freedom brings to the field? DLS gave up 132 yards rushing to Najee Harris. Given they will have 2 weeks to prepare, I have to change my pick and ride with DLS in this NCS Open championship game. I have to agree that if Freedom can give up big points to Pitt (most of it on the ground), I anticipate DLS will score against Freedom's defense, as well.

Reactions: Paloma
Even IF St. Mary's Stockton wins the SJS D1 section championship game, and this is a big "IF", they will not get selected for the CIF State Open game. Their huge loss vs SJB totally kills any thought of them being selected. St. Mary's still has a huge game vs Oak Ridge this Friday. The Rams defense will truly be tested, especially by Oak Ridge's QB. The Folsom vs Elk Grove should be a huge game, as well. But, I do not anticipate the NorCal Open team to come out of the SJS section, no matter who wins. The winner of DLS vs Freedom will determine who goes onto the CIF State Open game. DLS's only loss is to an out-of-state team, and it was a very close game. Freedom has yet to lose. Losses by the SJS teams do not compare, In fact, IMHO, I wouldn't be surprised if the loser of the DLS vs Freedom game will be the favorite going up against the SJS D1 section champ. However, I still anticipate the NorCal Open team will get beat convincingly by the SoCal Open team this year.

Even IF St. Mary's Stockton wins the SJS D1 section championship game, and this is a big "IF", they will not get selected for the CIF State Open game. Their huge loss vs SJB totally kills any thought of them being selected. St. Mary's still has a huge game vs Oak Ridge this Friday. The Rams defense will truly be tested, especially by Oak Ridge's QB. The Folsom vs Elk Grove should be a huge game, as well. But, I do not anticipate the NorCal Open team to come out of the SJS section, no matter who wins. The winner of DLS vs Freedom will determine who goes onto the CIF State Open game. DLS's only loss is to an out-of-state team, and it was a very close game. Freedom has yet to lose. Losses by the SJS teams do not compare, In fact, IMHO, I wouldn't be surprised if the loser of the DLS vs Freedom game will be the favorite going up against the SJS D1 section champ. However, I still anticipate the NorCal Open team will get beat convincingly by the SoCal Open team this year.

I completely agree, but was just answering the question. It's the most likely scenario, but is not automatic.

It would amuse me to no end for DLS to advance to the regional state championships as the runner up.

Reactions: mshNASTY
The most relevant discussion is comparing Freedom and MV offenses. Both have great balance. Freedom has a better RB and MV has a better QB. Both have lots of weapons to move the ball. The most important part is how the o lines handle DLS front 4/7. MV o-line struggled. We will see how Freedoms o line holds up.

MV's front 8 played well in the first half but wore down in the second. Same challenge for Freedom- can they play run defense for four quarters. Pitts D line would have been a tougher challenge for DLS it seems.

Thats what happens when you use a subjective word like "challenge". And when you add "for once" it is easy to refute.

I would state that Foothills defense challenged DLS in last years game. They played very tough and DLS earned every yard- even late in the game.

......Same challenge for Freedom- can they play run defense for four quarters. Pitts D line would have been a tougher challenge for DLS it seems.

Agree with the comparisons except with Pitts D line being tougher. Felt with Rivers running on the Pirates at will that Pitt did not contain Freedom's ground attack.
Understand that Pitt's Thompson was pretty much hobbled the last few games but Freedom seemed to do a better job of slowing Pittsburg's running game.

Thats what happens when you use a subjective word like "challenge". And when you add "for once" it is easy to refute.

I would state that Foothills defense challenged DLS in last years game. They played very tough and DLS earned every yard- even late in the game.

Poor choice of words. Fair enough. On the whole, they are rarely challenged.

If a team like Freedom can't pose a legit challenge to win the game outright against what is widely considered a down DLS team, one has to wonder if it will ever happen again.

Per CALPREPS.COM

neutral field
[2016] Freedom (Oakley, CA) 28, [2016] De La Salle (Concord, CA) 27

Bubba 3000 doesn't know the game, he thinks that he can use his son's acumen and skill set to justify himself, if he were a true cal high football fan he would know some of the greats who came through there, and respect them. No one gives a shit about his son who wanted to be Dylan wynn. His son probably plays semi pro ball in Temecula for the river dragons. Bubba doesn't know the game and the sooner he realizes this the sooner he will be able to take accountability for his irrational statements and study the game that he never played so he can have legit input. GATA

How was that CVC prediction?

How was that CVC prediction?
GUYS...The key to having Freedom stop DLS is to be able to handle that big Spartan line, the line is the key to DLS's success....If Freedom's line can deal with the Spartan line, then they can win, Freedom has the QB and the running power to get the job done...

You are totally correct. Up until a few years ago it was generally played at the Coliseum. I neglected to mention that location because it's roughly the same distance as traveling to Dublin for the schools involved.

You are totally correct. Up until a few years ago it was generally played at the Coliseum. I neglected to mention that location because it's roughly the same distance as traveling to Dublin for the schools involved.

Except for all the DLS players and students from the Tri Valley area.

GUYS...The key to having Freedom stop DLS is to be able to handle that big Spartan line, the line is the key to DLS's success....If Freedom's line can deal with the Spartan line, then they can win, Freedom has the QB and the running power to get the job done...

Freedom's QB is scrappy and a player but doesn't throw the best ball or have great wheels. Don't see the easy throws he had vs Pitt happen against DLS. The running game for Freedom looked like all dives no read or option from the QB. Really a testament to how good Rivers is. I don't see Freedom having the scheme or QB to test the Spartans. A lot of pressure on Freedom QB to carry the them. I believe DLS will commit to taking Rivers out of the game. With down talent DLS by 14 points but a decisive win.

Reactions: Paloma
Freedom QB throws a really nice deep ball and I'm not just saying that cause he's my nephew

Last edited:
Reactions: pantera-cat
Freedom's offense is legit. I guess the question going into the DLS game, is Freedom's defense legit enough to stop DLS's offense, although pretty much 1-dimensional, if it struggled giving up points to Pitt? DLS's defense has definitely stepped up in recent weeks, but has it faced the likes of Freedom's offense? We will soon find out.

Freedom's QB is scrappy and a player but doesn't throw the best ball or have great wheels. Don't see the easy throws he had vs Pitt happen against DLS. The running game for Freedom looked like all dives no read or option from the QB. Really a testament to how good Rivers is. I don't see Freedom having the scheme or QB to test the Spartans. A lot of pressure on Freedom QB to carry the them. I believe DLS will commit to taking Rivers out of the game. With down talent DLS by 14 points but a decisive win.
I watched that kid throw the 60 to 65 yards and the ball isn't in the air very long either. He can throw the out from far hash to the sideline. This kid is good. If you arent ready to play you will pay dearly.

Reactions: Bubba3000
If DLS chooses to drop 8 in the box to stop Rivers QB Pierce and their talented receivers might be able to make them pay

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT