ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle-Freedom Open matchup

different opponent, same stakes. Another DLS romp. Although down notch with their new coach, DLS is just a machine.
What? If they are down a notch it's because they graduated almost every starter from the previous year not because of coaching. This program has continued to win state championships while the new head coach has put his stamp on the program without disrupting what went on before. It is clear Justin alumbaugh can coach and win...how many state championships in the trivalley in the years that he's coached?

Reactions: concrete17
different opponent, same stakes. Another DLS romp. Although down notch with their new coach, DLS is just a machine.

4 years of head coaching and 10 years prior as an assistant, "their new coach"
.......sounds like a Cal Worthington-ism, low mileage & only driven on weekends..

Reactions: bella123
Assuming the winner of this game goes to Open, they will have played two games in 35 days heading into the state bowl game.

Does the rest help get everyone healthy or will it produce rust?

Rust. The DLS coaches don't like this set up- too many bye weeks.

I have seen all the games that DLS has played, and this DLS team is moved up from a solid, good team, to a much better, dominating team, capable of shutting you down. It is the defense that has dominated their last five opponents. WIth the exception of Logan, they have dominated some very good teams. I fully expect that DLS will dominate Freedom, perhap even shutting them out like they did CVC. DLS played a much tougher schedule. Forget that Antioch game, DLS is a much, much better and stronger team now. The D-line is solid like a wall of granite. They will be putting pressure on the Freedom QB and stopping Rivers in the backfield a lot. There is also a team depth problem. DLS wins that also. They will wear down Freedom by the third quarter. This is going to be a 63-17 blowout. It's a shame, because I don't know how the hell Freedom is ranked higher the DLS in the Maxpreps poll. I have really lost confidence in any of the Maxpreps polls over the last five years. The teams DLS beat, with the exception of SJB, should've been ranked lower. SJB was more like a college team, but they nervously had to hang on to win it at the very end. If the DLS team of 2015 was on that same field, it would've been a DLS win. Just my two bits for you SJB fans. Hope we get to play you in CIF State Open Division Championship game.

I have seen all the games that DLS has played, and this DLS team is moved up from a solid, good team, to a much better, dominating team, capable of shutting you down. It is the defense that has dominated their last five opponents. WIth the exception of Logan, they have dominated some very good teams. I fully expect that DLS will dominate Freedom, perhap even shutting them out like they did CVC...The D-line is solid like a wall of granite.

That should be a pretty good line.

I have seen all the games that DLS has played, and this DLS team is moved up from a solid, good team, to a much better, dominating team, capable of shutting you down. It is the defense that has dominated their last five opponents. WIth the exception of Logan, they have dominated some very good teams. I fully expect that DLS will dominate Freedom, perhap even shutting them out like they did CVC. DLS played a much tougher schedule. Forget that Antioch game, DLS is a much, much better and stronger team now. The D-line is solid like a wall of granite. They will be putting pressure on the Freedom QB and stopping Rivers in the backfield a lot. There is also a team depth problem. DLS wins that also. They will wear down Freedom by the third quarter. This is going to be a 63-17 blowout. It's a shame, because I don't know how the hell Freedom is ranked higher the DLS in the Maxpreps poll. I have really lost confidence in any of the Maxpreps polls over the last five years. The teams DLS beat, with the exception of SJB, should've been ranked lower. SJB was more like a college team, but they nervously had to hang on to win it at the very end. If the DLS team of 2015 was on that same field, it would've been a DLS win. Just my two bits for you SJB fans. Hope we get to play you in CIF State Open Division Championship game.

turk....don't be such a stranger, miss your POV.
Now if we could get Gades, tallibanned, Mud'n Guts, some of the other old timers.......

Last edited:

Not totally convinced. Games 5 and 6 this year were squeakers, especially SRV (6, missing on a 2 pt to win it) who was less than dominant @ 6-5. dLS could just as easily could've gone into this game 7-4. Close games are usually much earlier (most OOS games and East.) Gades is back crete, somewhere in this menagerie....but I don't think he's going to tell PJ who those two transfer sophs who ended up both being feature backs are....

First off no recent DLS team was beating 2013 SJB.The 2015 team needed a late score to escape Centennial and no one would confuse 2015 Huskies with 2013 SJB.Also,does the Freedom QB have any real running ability?

DLS won those games, and a much weaker team lost to SJB by a TD, but they had a turnover and could've pulled it out at the end. I guess I see a much smaller, not as strong team, that played a weak schedule and ask myself, "why us Freedom higher ranked than DLS?" This is a "proove it to me" game, and I think DLS is going to show up, but not Freedom. Sorry everybody, DLS in a blowout.

Sorry everybody, DLS in a blowout.

No need to apologize. That is what is expected. Only 2 teams have scored more than 15 points against DLS in an NCS final since Pitt's historic victory in 1991.
Cal high put up 21 vs. Sparty in 2010, and the Grizz 2013 team put up 17.

Will Freedom being able to join that group? I don't see them having any chance to win unless they score more than 21. If they can get up into the 30s, then I like their chances, but highly unlikely.

I haven't seen the past five weeks of DLS games, but from what I saw earlier in the season you should be worried about MD or SBJ. Both teams have speed at the key positions that will give DLS trouble if they should make it to that game. I think they will have particular trouble at the LB position dropping into coverage ... just my two bits on your two bits :)

DLS's offense will determine if they win tonight and if so by how much. The offense has not grown much and from a play calling standpoint has become more conservative at the end of the year.- un-DLS like. They dont even run any zone read plays anymore.

The DLS defense will be up to the challenge and i dont believe Freedoms LOS play will be sufficient enough in the end.

Anyone know streaming or tv options?

For NCS Open DLS-Freedom game Pay option/subscription:
http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/schools/de-la-salle-high-school-concord-ca

Not a bad deal if you want to see other games this month. Slightly more than the admission to ONE Playoff game...you can SELECT almost every California Playoff game...Southern Section Mater Dei, Centennial, SJB, Mission Viejo.....Cent Coast Bellarmine, St Francis, Sac-San Joaquin Section games...

As long as you CANCEL the membership before 29th day (***I recommend Jan 1st, 2017***)

You can save up to 14 games for WATCH LATER or FAVORITES , and have plenty of Top Notch H.S. Playoff Football.

Also games in other states.
(thanks to RunnANDShoot)

Last edited:
For NCS Open DLS-Freedom game Pay option/subscription:
http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/schools/de-la-salle-high-school-concord-ca

Not a bad deal if you want to see other games this month. Slightly more than the admission to ONE Playoff game...you can SELECT almost every California Playoff game...Southern Section Mater Dei, Centennial, SJB, Mission Viejo.....Cent Coast Bellarmine, St Francis, Sac-San Joaquin Section games...

As long as you CANCEL the membership before 29th day (***I recommend Jan 1st, 2017***)

You can save up to 14 games for WATCH LATER or FAVORITES , and have plenty of Top Notch H.S. Playoff Football.

Also games in other states.
(thanks to RunnANDShoot)

For NFHSnetwork subscriptions they are for 1-day, 1-month or 1-year. I did the 1-day originally & then wanted to watch a game the next week and realized the month deal is way better. Nowadays I just pay the $40 for the full year and can watch anything they have throughout the year - well worth the $40!

Reactions: concrete17
First off no recent DLS team was beating 2013 SJB.The 2015 team needed a late score to escape Centennial and no one would confuse 2015 Huskies with 2013 SJB.Also,does the Freedom QB have any real running ability?

Every DLS team since 2010 except 2013 beats 2013 SJB

How quickly SoCal guy forgets talk even among SJB faithful that 2015 team better than 2013 team, right up until they lost to CC, who was the consensus #1 team in the country (something SJB '13 never achieved) right up until they played DLS

'13 DLS was very talented but got less out of it than any DLS team since '06 -- I'm not going to single kids out, but that '13 team didn't have the leadership or character of any DLS team since at least '06 and still were within 30 yards of the winning TD with a couple of minutes to go against SJB and their 30 transfers

How quickly SoCal guy forgets talk even among SJB faithful that 2015 team better than 2013 team, right up until they lost to CC, who was the consensus #1 team in the country (something SJB '13 never achieved) right up until they played DLS

'13 DLS was very talented but got less out of it than any DLS team since '06 -- I'm not going to single kids out, but that '13 team didn't have the leadership or character of any DLS team since at least '06 and still were within 30 yards of the winning TD with a couple of minutes to go against SJB and their 30 transfers

Ok pops Hey the crew is waiting for you at prepgridiron.com

Reactions: turk5555
I wonder who the leadership & character issue was on 2013 squad? Could it have been the me first not we first mentality that lead to a now famous transfer?

Just reading Merc & SF Chron articles on game last nite - Freedom had minus -24 yards rushing and Ronnie Rivers had 9 carries for 3 yards. In the DLS -Antioch game [28-21] Najee Harris had 130 yards [if I recall with a 48 yarder called back on hold penalty]. So DLS Faithful - what was difference between the 2 teams? Wasn't Ronnie Rivers named the Bay Valley League MVP over Najee Harris? Was Antioch's line better than Freedom's or is the much bigger Najee Harris simply a bigger challenge than Rivers [Harris 6'2-228 vs RIvers 5'7-170] ?

Just reading Merc & SF Chron articles on game last nite - Freedom had minus -24 yards rushing and Ronnie Rivers had 9 carries for 3 yards. In the DLS -Antioch game [28-21] Najee Harris had 130 yards [if I recall with a 48 yarder called back on hold penalty]. So DLS Faithful - what was difference between the 2 teams? Wasn't Ronnie Rivers named the Bay Valley League MVP over Najee Harris? Was Antioch's line better than Freedom's or is the much bigger Najee Harris simply a bigger challenge than Rivers [Harris 6'2-228 vs RIvers 5'7-170] ?

Difference is December vs September for a DLS team

September

DLS beats Antioch by 7

October

Freedom beats Antioch by 37

December

DLS beats freedom by 35

One thing I think last night's game did that hadn't been mentioned is clinch the Open invite for DLS -- I think there was a narrow window for the SJS1 winner if NCS Open were close that's now closed

I still think MD/ SJB winner (MD) likely to beat Spartans by multiple TDs, but I'm confident it won't be the boat race that looked to be brewing all season (MD beat Servite by 10 more TDs than DLS did) and, although a long shot, would give the Spartans a punchers chance

What gives DLS a chance in the open is simple. They will have played fewer games and against much weaker competitors in the playoffs. It's been that way for years. It just seems DLS coaches never seem to get the credit they deserve. Their teams just grow and mature, and adjust and improve throughout the course of a season. You just don't see that in HS football especially here in NorCal. The halftime adjustments weekly tweaks etc it really is remarkable, and each kid seems to be prepared not just the starters. This is clearly another reason.

I didn't think Freedom had a chance to win but I was really shocked at how they outsmarted themselves. I saw DeLaSalle winning by 14 points maybe as high as 21 late because I saw Freedom's Talent being that good. Rivers seemed like a rb that needs carries & got stronger as the game goes. Even though the Freedom scheme was very poor. He's just a great player. Coaching game plan for Freedom vs DLS:

*DLS knows we're gonna give the ball to Rivers. So we won't do it. Hehe.
*When we do give him the ball we'll go under C with no play action. Hehehe.

I had not seen them go under C in rhe games I had watched.

A Zeke Elliott quote after Michigan st. loss last year was due from Rivers
Elliott: "I deserve more than 11 carries. I really do. I can't speak for the playcaller. I don't know what was going on."

DLS was the difference between the Antioch and Freedom games. DLS defense has improved a lot and more importantly, last night the DLS offense played much better than they did vs Antioch. With the offense controlling the Freedom defense by running the ball and actually finishing drives, it helped the defense.

That being said, I thought Antioch defense was better than Freedoms especially in the front 7/8.

DLS d line is very good, especially when Tuli is in, but the LB's have made the biggest improvement over the year. Wilson played his best game last night and this unit has shown it can play both run and pass.

Freedom just got DLS at the wrong time of year.

Well said. 2007, 2008, and 2009 all would have hung with if not beat 2013 SJB too. They had very tough defenses and Sweeney like playmaking at QB. 2007 also had the unstoppable combo of Mcgilvray/Cycz as SpongeBob would attest.

I'm the guy who said that DLS would dominate FREEDOM, maybe even shut them out, and predicted the score would be 63-17. Sorry, I was slightly off. Now ask me how DLS will do against Mater Dei or St John Bosco in he battle for the CIF Open Division Champship in Sac. I especially want to hear from SoCal football fans. I would suggest you look at the 2013 game between DLS and SJB. This DLS team is better than that team right now. I know DLS lost that 2013 game, but think about what I just said.

DLS will lose in the open. They don't have the players.

I want to say blow out but I lnow better. I'd say similar to the Bellevue score.

No way they win with that qb. Bad reads & ball handling on the veer. Arm very suspect.

MaoliFighter doesn't want to stick his neck out and make a prediction, I totally understand your hesitancy. They are playing DLS. Never count DLS out of any game. The coaches thoroughly prepare the players physically and MENTALLY for each game. There will be a few new wrinkles in this game. I think DLS will have success passing the ball against SJB because SJB will put 8 or 9 guys in the box to stop the run. Watch the shovel pass, too. I have seen DLS do just that before, and win. DLS four TDs against LBP in 2001 were short and medium passes. Don't forget the turnovers. I think DLS is overdue for some TO's. MD lost because of three or four interceptions. I am feeling pretty good about the DLS-SJB game, and I think the score will be DLS winning 28-21. DLS beat MD by that same score in 1998. I think it was a turnover that assured the win for DLS. Same thing will happen in this game. SoCal and MaxPreps all had MD by 17 pts. Keep your gunpowder dry. Didn't happen. !!@@!!

I'd said they'd lose. Bellevue score. DLS only played Bellevue once

As DLS has competed & won vs Southern Cal they've had D1 athletes. There are none on this team. Maybe some will develop into D1's certainly none that are their best players.
Same situation when they lost in 2006. Just didn't have the players.

I have watched Bosco. And they are loaded. Qb & rb are not unlike what DLS played @ Centennial last year. Speed. Battle tested. Played the best in the country. Very well coached. DLS had a shot of competing if Mater Dei won because Rollinson may have pulled a Freedom & out thought himself. Still losing though. But the guy @ Bosco does a very good job.

Look @ the common opponents. Servite. Took everything DLS had to barely beat Servite in the last minutes of an outstanding game. I really thought the coaches had to of enjoyed the game. Bosco beat them 70-6.

SJB should be heavy, heavy favorites,

DLS needs to bring their A game, which they seem to have at the moment, and hope for a preponderance of breaks to have a chance

One thing I think that DLS will have "going for them" is extreme overconfidence on SJB's part. They know they have a 9 TD differential on DLS vs the only common opponent. They've beaten a supposedly far superior DLS team. And, they just beat the #1 team in country (calpreps). What they don't know is that DLS has huge differentials NOW vs when that game happened

DLS can't give that advantage away by being intimidated -- I think this team has gotten to the point where they ought to believe that they'll compete

I think "Bellevue score (39-20)" is a fair prediction -- could be worse, but could be better

Look for a 30-17 type game. DLS style dictates they don't get blown out. They just have to much of a talent gap to overcome.

Forget the daisy chain (Serrvite). That theory doesn't work in football.

28-14 SJB maybe 35-17.Coach Negro has to much respect for DLS to let his team get over confident

28-14 SJB maybe 35-17.Coach Negro has to much respect for DLS to let his team get over confident

I'd be very pleased with this team if they kept it that close -- the talent differential is larger but these guys appear to be achieving their potential as well as any DLS team I've seen (maybe not 2010 -- still my personal favorites)

I'd say good luck to the braves but we both know they don't need it

Pray that they're gentle ;)

Reactions: sarpar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT