ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle-Freedom Open matchup

I watched that kid throw the 60 to 65 yards and the ball isn't in the air very long either. He can throw the out from far hash to the sideline. This kid is good. If you arent ready to play you will pay dearly.
They have a couple of nice,athletic receivers as well,out athleted(my own word) Pitts DBs on a number of occasions .If DLS focuses too much on Rivers, the Spartan dbs could have their hands full one on one on the outside.

This will be a great challenge for DLS. Eidson typically plays lots of zone defense and attempts to limit the big plays- make the opponent drive the field. They have been incredibly successful with that formula for 35 years.

DLS might be without their #1 CB. The DLS FS has been playing much better the last few weeks. Freedom must slow the DLS pass rush tho or nothing else matters. Haener from MV was under heat all night long so we will see how Freedoms o line matches up. DLS rarely brings extra rushers but did a couple of times vs MV and sacked Haener.

Reactions: remc
From watching DLS this season it appears that Freedom has to do 2 things in order to win. Other teams have had passing attacks with athletic WR's [please see Monte Vista] and had little success against DLS. DLS with their athletes always has better than average secondary coverage, but the bottom line is the QB has to have time to throw, which in most cases DLS hurries/pressures the QB. The other element is Freedom has to be able to run against the Spartans to win this game [ie: Antioch gave DLS a good battle with Najee Harris].

So IMO #1: if Freedom can run on the Spartans successfully, then #2 being able to pass against the Spartans will fall into place.
A toss-up game with Freedom having a slight edge on paper, but with few fans willing to bet against the Spartans.

Question of the day: Does this come down to the Kairee Robinson - "Ronnie Rivers Show"?

DLS Kairee Robinson 5'8-185, 1670 yards, 9.1APC, 22-TD's
Freedom's Ronnie Rivers 5'8-170, 2134 yards, 8.2APC, 32-TD's

Reactions: concrete17
I only watched Freedom vs Pitt & their defense showed no ability or scheme to defend. The change up to a 3 man line with only NT in a 3 pt stance will get shredded.

Comparing DLS vs Freedom D is no comparison.

....The other element is Freedom has to be able to run against the Spartans to win this game [ie: Antioch gave DLS a good battle with Najee Harris].

So IMO #1: if Freedom can run on the Spartans successfully, then #2 being able to pass against the Spartans will fall into place.

Question of the day: Does this come down to the Kairee Robinson - "Ronnie Rivers Show"?

Pretty good analysis but I would disagree about Antioch/Harris giving DLS any problems in their matchup

Antioch had 36 carries for a total of 136 yards while the Spartans had 56 carries for 441 yards

Harris carried the ball 32 x's for 132 yds leaving the other 4 yds to 1 player

Kairee Robinson had 33 carries for 305 of the 441 yds
The balance of the carries shared by 4 other Sparrans

Understand that Harris had some leg issues which might be the asterisk on that night's stats but if Freedom relies heavily on Rivers it may be a long night for them[/QUOTE]

One other point is that Freedom's coaching is way above Antioch's. The Panthers didn't get this far based solely on the ball being tucked under Robinson's armpit. Definitely have/used a lot more weapons than their BVAL brethren

Last edited:
Pretty good analysis but I would disagree about Antioch/Harris giving DLS any problems in their matchup
Antioch had 36 carries for a total of 136 yards while the Spartans had 56 carries for 441 yards
Harris carried the ball 32 x's for 132 yds leaving the other 4 yds to 1 player
Kairee Robinson had 33 carries for 305 of the 441 yds
The balance of the carries shared by 4 other Sparrans
Understand that Harris had some leg issues which might be the asterisk on that night's stats but if Freedom relies heavily on Rivers it may be a long night for them

What Harris did do was to take the pressure off Antioch's QB. DLS like the other good teams Antioch has faced [most for that fact] stacked the line and focused primarily on Najee Harris - stop Harris & you stop Antioch. While DLS D did a great job in "only" allowing Harris 132 yards, Antioch's QB's passing stats were 11/18 for 181 yards, 16.5 APC 1-TD & 1 INT [while DLS passing was 1 of 4 for 0 yards]. In looking at Najee Harris stats a little more closely 1] Harris had a 47-yard TD run wiped out by a penalty and 2] another spectacular run in which Harris hurdled Kairee Robinson called back with a 15-yard personal foul tacked on for "hurdling" a player [they have got to do away with this rule]. DLS used a time consuming drive late in the 4th to give Antioch one last shot with little time left and that was the game. I think both teams stuck to their game plans & it was a closer game than I expected at 28-21 DLS coming down to the last minutes of the game. Pitt did an even better job on Harris holding him to 62 yards in Pitts 61-35 win over Antioch. Looking forward to the DLS-Freedom game and the Robinson-Rivers match-ups.

I didn't realize that the game wasn't until next week. I was scrambling trying to find out where it would be streamed and couldn't find it. Lo and behold it's because they get a week off in between games. Call me crazy but I don't think the extra week of preparation is to Freedom's benefit.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
I didn't realize that the game wasn't until next week. I was scrambling trying to find out where it would be streamed and couldn't find it. Lo and behold it's because they get a week off in between games. Call me crazy but I don't think the extra week of preparation is to Freedom's benefit.

Thank You ThunderRam - got me too as busy with work & thinking last couple days it was this week - getting worked up thinking about the game in couple days...OK now can enjoy turkey day a little more & relax..

Reactions: ThunderRam
That's what threw me off when I asked about the date of Selection Sunday for the Regionals.. I thought they were playing this weekend as well.. so Selection Sunday is Dec. 4th.

IMO Freedom is going to outscore DLS 42-35. Looking forward to this one, will be in attendance. Good luck to both programs!

IMO Freedom is going to outscore DLS 42-35. Looking forward to this one, will be in attendance. Good luck to both programs!

I like your prediction JCBUST and think it could be close to that. I like DLS if a lower scoring game and like Freedom in a high scoring shoot-out [not sure DLS can keep up in high scoring contest with not much of a pass game, however that won't matter if Spartans shut down Freedom' s run].

Reactions: concrete17
Freedom QB throws a really nice deep ball and I'm not just saying that cause he's my nephew
Once again your opinion is nullified because of the blatent nepotism that is fueling your statement..you never played you don't know the game.

Once again your opinion is nullified because of the blatent nepotism that is fueling your statement..you never played you don't know the game.

How do you know I didn't play the game, you waste of human flesh?

Has DLS ever given up 42 pts? I mean I don't recall anybody putting much more than 30 on them ever. It aint going to be Freedom either. Look DLS wins easy. 42-14

Hypocrisy- the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

Hand62, the JV "coach" who's a ncp newbie, defends programs on here while seemingly enjoying his insulting behavior toward others. Programs which are suspect when it comes to integrity. Denigrating the (figuratively speaking) hands that that feed him, if indeed he's a "coach," is the folly of fools. I'm not going to post the story of the absolutely incredible human coaching JV for San Jose (playing today for the "Big Bone") again. Come back on here after you read it and tell us how amazing you are. In the meantime, give thanks your P-town HC hasn't censured your participation in this dialog.

Last edited:
If today's Freedom was playing the DLS from week 3, maybe. But not the DLS of week 14. I'll call it at DLS 42 Freedom 28. And Freedom probably still goes to the RGB game in place of the NCS DI Antioch/MV winner.

Has DLS ever given up 42 pts? I mean I don't recall anybody putting much more than 30 on them ever. It aint going to be Freedom either. Look DLS wins easy. 42-14
Same discussion about high scores against DLS was going on in 2014. But Corona Centennial throw 42 points on DLS. It was a guns-glazing shoot out until toward the end of the game when CC made a few critical mistakes and DLS won 63-42. Without those critical CC mistakes the score could have realistically been 55-49 or even 55-56.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Notice the following year the score didn't come close to the previous years score. Also centennial and freedom are hardly synonymous.

Centennial Corona was loaded that year. Well they are loaded every year. They had d1 players all over the field. Freedom doesn't have much in common with that team. Pull that game out and I would be real curious to see when was the last time a team put 30+ on DLS? I know somebody pulled that data at one point.

It's less of dLS' defense yielding points and more of a matter of number of possessions. A ground drive of 80 typically eats 6-8 minutes. The pound and ground teams, with the ability to throw to xyz have the best chance, i.e. SJB with Rosen. With perhaps only 4-5 possessions in the game, one must be very methodical with clock mgt. to beat them. Eidson knows this acutely, and why he stresses ball stripping to gain an advantage. One turnover and you're probably done. The spread teams fail miserably with 40+ throws.

Centennial Corona was loaded that year. Well they are loaded every year. They had d1 players all over the field. Freedom doesn't have much in common with that team. Pull that game out and I would be real curious to see when was the last time a team put 30+ on DLS? I know somebody pulled that data at one point.
True - CC was an exceptional team that year. With near 4000 passing yards and over 3000 rushing yards, they were highly potent. And their defense was pretty good too. DLS' defensive formation was one I never seen from them before or since. It was clear they intended to stop CC offense in the secondary level instead of focusing on short yardage stops.

De La Salle will not be as inefficient as Pitt was on the defensive line. I also don't think the DLS safeties will be as hesitant as Pittsburg's was. I think DLS will do a much better job slowing down Rivers, similar to the Pitt/Freedom game. That being said, I just don't see the Freedom defense slowing down the DLS offense. I really like the guys at Freedom. I just don't think this program has enough experience going against the Green Monster.

Since Lad arrived in '79, DLS has only allowed 40 once -- 42 to CC in '14 SBG (and they scored one TD on KO return)

I don't go to that many games anymore -- I missed the 28-27 win over SRV and saw the Antioch game on tv. I went to the MV game and thought this team looked pretty good -- have never seen DLS blitz so much -- wonder if terry will try same thing v freedom

I've only seen highlights of freedom but their results are impressive

Freedom will not score 40+ versus DLS. One reason is because DLS is a ground control offense that does not stop the clock. The other is that DLS is a very competitive team, and even if DLS wins the NCS Open championship and move on to play the SoCal Open rep, they will not give up 40+ points to the SoCal Open rep, either. Another reason is that Freedom's defense is not all that great. DLS will score against Freedom, and probably more so than Freedom does against DLS. DLS's defense is better now than in the beginning of the season. And even if we were looking at this game at the beginning of the season where a DLS team is more prone to make mistakes, Freedom nor any other team would have little chance posting 40+ points vs DLS. DLS's game plan ((their ground game) and their defense just eliminates any such opportunity. The DLS today is less likely to turn the ball over and their offense is clicking, along with their defense. They are first very hard to beat. Putting up 40+ points against them will take something special. And like I said, I don't even think the special teams that are in SoCal this year will do it. It is just a match-up issue and why they are so successful.

Reactions: jiggy79
If Freedom wins this game, I think it will be in 20's as the Servite, East, Antioch and SRV games were.

different opponent, same stakes. Another DLS romp. Although down notch with their new coach, DLS is just a machine.

Assuming the winner of this game goes to Open, they will have played two games in 35 days heading into the state bowl game.

Does the rest help get everyone healthy or will it produce rust?

There is no denying that the extra days help in physical recovery but a good program will work towards that goal no matter how much/little the days between games.

2 games in 35 days is a lot of down time in terms of sharpening that competitive edge. There is no substitute for actual & unpredictable playing time. Practices can help you keep your eyes on the road but game time locks your eyes on the finish line

Assuming the winner of this game goes to Open, they will have played two games in 35 days heading into the state bowl game.

Does the rest help get everyone healthy or will it produce rust?

Great question to ponder. Every team is probably different. IMO, it doesn't hurt DLS in the least. The more practice time they get, they better they are.

I tend to agree about DLS. Not sure it will matter against the South, but an interesting footnote.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT