ADVERTISEMENT

DLS Can't Compete With Recruiting Factories

That was my understanding as well, Indian. The McKenzie's wanted their son to participate in the Nike summer camps, something DLS frowned upon.

I believe DLS will need bigger lineman soon if they wish to continue to compete at the top level (aka State and National). It seems this year's DLS team had fewer lineman playing both ways, a sign perhaps that smaller lineman will wear down against the SJB's and Mater Dei's over the course of a game.

And the DLS O Line looked small this year.

All linemen wear down, big and small. My understanding regarding Khalil was DLS was ok with him competing at camps, they just didn't want him doing the one-on-one contact drill, which is the "shashimi" of camp for a lineman. The very best part.

I'm sure DLS would have no problem with a 6'4 300 lbs lineman. Problem is, most HS kids that are 300 pounds aren't that tall and are just sloppy and out of shape.

De la Salle is King of Norcal Football. If they start attracting these 6'4 300 lb lineman, the staff may have to evolve offensively to fit their new personnel.

All linemen wear down, big and small. My understanding regarding Khalil was DLS was ok with him competing at camps, they just didn't want him doing the one-on-one contact drill, which is the "shashimi" of camp for a lineman. The very best part.

I heard he also didn't want to workout with team and wanted to lift on his own. Something again isn't going to fly in a team first program. Either way a solid arguement can made neither kid reached their full potential after they left. Khalil gained weight and showed up out of shape has struggled for playing time at Tenn. younger brother seems to just be soft period and not very good.

Very true, however De LA Salle is starting to bring in more Poly kids. Many of these kids already have football in their DNA. They grow up playing rugby and football.

Hi BigMann, is there a big polynesian community near De La Salle I don't know about?

Despite their 2 biggest studs moving on to major D1 programs last year, there were still Tagaloa's and Asiasi's on this year's squad.

I actually gained respect for the DLS program the way they handled the McKenzie situation
Respect for a private, which has maximum leeway to establish their student body, which accepted, as a Junior, a 5*, top ten, nationally ranked player when they easily could have passed? Not here.

Despite their 2 biggest studs moving on to major D1 programs last year, there were still Tagaloa's and Asiasi's on this year's squad.

Big deal. They also lost their backs, QB, and sizable chunk of the team. While both Asiasi and Tagaloa were great players it's not like them graduating and them only is the reason they were good. Without Custer odds are they don't win state. And the fact they are poly has about as much to do with it as the sky being blue.

Respect for a private, which has maximum leeway to establish their student body, which accepted, as a Junior, a 5*, top ten, nationally ranked player when they easily could have passed? Not here.

He wasn't a 5* athlete when he registered at DLS as a Junior. He wasn't nationally ranked as a sophomore and if he was it wasn't 5* that's a fact. He got that ranking after his season with DLS and the open.

Big deal. They also lost their backs, QB, and sizable chunk of the team. While both Asiasi and Tagaloa were great players it's not like them graduating and them only is the reason they were good. Without Custer odds are they don't win state. And the fact they are poly has about as much to do with it as the sky being blue.

I didn't say that was "the only reason they were good". Where did you get that idea? I was just replying to another poster that DLS has their share of Poly players and they don't need to live in Concord in order to go to school there.

He wasn't a 5* athlete when he registered at DLS as a Junior. He wasn't nationally ranked as a sophomore and if he was it wasn't 5* that's a fact. He got that ranking after his season with DLS and the open.

I don't know if he was a 5* when he transferred in to DLS for his Junior year, but I do remember quite a lot of attention hearing of a nationally ranked transfer who was the son of the Raiders GM. He was big time before the transfer.

I don't know if he was a 5* when he transferred in to DLS for his Junior year, but I do remember quite a lot of attention hearing of a nationally ranked transfer who was the son of the Raiders GM. He was big time before the transfer.

He was not a five star prior to transfer

Someone mentioned that it was rumored that two Grant O lineman transfered in to De La Salle recently. I'm not sure which two(if it's even true), but Grant had several O lineman returning next year. A few whom are D1 recruits.

My point is if that pipeline opens up, De la Salle will start producing Pac-12 type offensive/defensive lines. I'm just going off of the rumor. Grant has had teams where the entire offensive/defensive line was D1 caliber.

He wasn't a 5* so most anybody could have been saying was Raiders GM kid is transferring in and he is big. Which he was. Honestly for the most part bringing in these high profile athletes kids is more distraction than help for them. They come with a self entitlement attitude that doesnt jive with who or how DLS works. It's no wonder they didnt last along with the Montanas etc........that's why DLS deserves the respect they don't cater to anybody. It's their way or you can leave. Most coaches and programs drool over kids and prospect like them. DLS doesn't and it's why they just keep stacking trophies while other keep looking for new excuses.

Reactions: DLSPop1314
How many sophomores get ranked? e.g Rivals

Reactions: Bubba3000

Refresher in case you want to play dumb....that was you response to poster having respect for DLS and how they handled the Khalil situation.

?
Facetiousness. Sardonic. The McKenzie "in toto."

Last edited:
DLS will be fine. This was a very young team that showed a lot of growth. Their top three running backs next year will be filthy. Robinson (SR), King (JR), and Garrett (SOPH). DLS could be very special over the next two years. Biggest question marks will be if likely QB Jones can not only run the veer efficiently but hurt teams with his arm and then the secondary I think takes the most hits from graduation. Front 7 led by Tuli, Tagaloa, Foskey, Wilson and To'oto should be great.

DLS got their asses handed to them and they should've. SJB was better in every facet. Competing against schools like this is nothing new in the Open. It will likely happen again next year.

Reactions: sarpar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT