ADVERTISEMENT

DLS Can't Compete With Recruiting Factories

A SJB poster on the national site posted this about the schools transfers the last 3 years and Their roles on the team

Here are SJB's transfer/roster #s for this season.

There are 15 total players on the roster who have transferred in. Of those, only 9 I would consider "key" players.

# Name Position Grade Transfer Year
1 Terrell Bynum WR/DB 12 2015
4 Travis Tuitasi LB 12 2014
6 Jaiden Woodbey DB 11 2015
14 Tarrean Brown DL 12 2015
16 Kyle McCombs TE 12 2015
25 Malik Street DB 12 2015
29 Jake Bailey LB/DB 10 2016
72 Ben Holmes OL 12 2015
77 Tavita Moe OL 12 2014

Here are the other 6:

# Name Position Grade Transfer Year Key Player
19 Colby Bowman WR 10 2015
32 Spencer Gilbert LB/DB 11 2015
46 Giovanni Lewis LB 12 2016
52 Jalen Harrington OL/DL 11 2016
54 Daniel Gonzales DL 12 2015
56 Davion Green LB 12 2015

I'm sure DLS storied history has nothing to do with who chooses to enroll there and play football. What does it matter if someone makes that decision as a Freshman vs. some other grade?

Like this

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
DLS will be fine. The two 6'4 300 pound sophomores that transferred from Grant (allegedly) will be huge additions next season. Don't know how much it will hurt if they lose the stud Frosh defensive end playing JV(before being suspended from team mid season) that was living with the dls coach and was accused of raping the Carondelet student.

A heard kid played RB but who knows with rumors and all. One thing telling that I doubt many picked up on. But coach Alumbaugh said some telling things in post game interview. Most important was his talk about getting better in off season, and making sure they do. I don't know for sure but I would bet that starts when they come back from break. Think Pitt, CV, MV, Freedom, etc, will be joining them in preparation for next season? Highly doubt it, maybe two weeks in may and then summer.

Didn't realize Bynum went to SJB as a freshman, just knew he was at Servite at one point. My bad.

One of the recruiting analysts I follow raved about the young talent at SJB 2-3 years ago. I assume those kids are the juniors and seniors on this team. So you're right about the majority of the team entering the school as freshmen.

Bynum leaving SJB before his sophomore season is not uncommon for SJB freshman football players. If you comb the surrounding areas there are many D1 kids at other programs who transferred out of SJB as freshman or sophomores. Several others went to Servite as well.

While SJB does get its share of transfers, the same could be said for the rest of the trinity league and if I remember correctly from another message board, SJB was middle of the road with the amount of transfers they got relative to the other teams in their league. The number of transfers that Corona Centennial received this past offseason dwarfed the numbers of other schools. This makes sense considering CC's success, district boundaries, no tuition, and no team in the area that can compete with them.

Just as DLS attracts the top talent in the area the same goes for the big three schools in the south. The three schools compete for a lot of the same kids, though CC's distance can also help them out.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
St. John Bosco's campus is ok, not that great. It's about 850 all male in Bellflower.

There is no way it is the biggest private HS in SoCal. Honestly I think it's abuout the bottom for Trinity league campuses for size. Mater Dei, Rancho Santa Margarita Catholic and if course JSerra. JSerra's so isolated it hurts them, but as far as a high school campus and school they do it right. I was really impressed when I went to the campus years ago.

Bella here it is straight off the St. John Bosco web site: [having said that I looked at JSerra & their campus appears to be easily larger with 29 acres alone just for the athletic facilities].

Facts About Bosco
Our Campus
  • At 36-acres, St. John Bosco has the largest private school campus in Southern California.

Bella here it is straight off the St. John Bosco web site: [having said that I looked at JSerra & their campus appears to be easily larger with 29 acres alone just for the athletic facilities].

Facts About Bosco
Our Campus
  • At 36-acres, St. John Bosco has the largest private school campus in Southern California.

Yeah I did look at that after? Maybe it is the biggest, but having been to most of the TL schools, SJB campus didn't seem bigger than the others mentioned.

A heard kid played RB but who knows with rumors and all. One thing telling that I doubt many picked up on. But coach Alumbaugh said some telling things in post game interview. Most important was his talk about getting better in off season, and making sure they do. I don't know for sure but I would bet that starts when they come back from break. Think Pitt, CV, MV, Freedom, etc, will be joining them in preparation for next season? Highly doubt it, maybe two weeks in may and then summer.
See Indian, the problem
Is you don't add the laughing emoji or an "lol" after your sarcastic remarks.

Nevertheless... I garauntee that is not the case. Especially with Murphy, Freedom and Pitt. I can't speak on MV. I'd throw Cal High in to the group of strong offseason programs as well.

Antioch's offseason workout program consists of the recruiting that Moru Fitness does during the 7on7 season. Don't know how well they'll do this year with Najee done but they should still have positive residual effects with him on campus til graduation.

Can someone order some camembert to go along with all the cabernets?

Nevertheless... I garauntee that is not the case. Especially with Murphy, Freedom and Pitt. I can't speak on MV. I'd throw Cal High in to the group of strong offseason programs as well

And your guarantee would be wrong. I know for fact one of those programs does basically nothing but a joke of a PE class they call weight lifting. It consists of players listening to music and lifting sort of. No organized structure, no before or after school speed or lifting nothing. They then follow that with a second semester zero period. Basically this is there for a easy "A" to keep the GPA up. Upper class man rarely show, HC may make it 50% of the time but they talk a good game.

That was my uncle, handle of Mountain John. I took his handle and tweeked it. I live in Sacramento area.
Lol the statement about living in Sonora came from this handle not the older Mtnjohn handle. Which makes your obsession about DLS even more bizarre. I'm surprised you posted again.

We had more transfers on this year's team than what is mentioned above. At the big public schools, this is becoming more common. If you build it, they will come. I wouldn't consider the big privates like DLS or Bosco to be recruiting factories whatsoever. They are some of the most reputable programs in the country. Kids want to go there.

That's right. And it goes on at every good program. Del Oro, Granite Bay, Jesuit, Clayton Valley, Serra, SJB, Gorman, Mater Dei, etc. And, as you can see from the list above, most of these programs do really well.

That's right. And it goes on at every good program. Del Oro, Granite Bay, Jesuit, Clayton Valley, Serra, SJB, Gorman, Mater Dei, etc. And, as you can see from the list above, most of these programs do really well.
I think what makes the SFL specific schools unique is the wealth of talent within a relatively small (maybe 20 mile radius) area. There are not many places in Ca that have enough talent within that small of an area to fill out the rosters of 4-5 major public school programs, and allow them to compete at a high level every year. That's just my personal thoughts on that.

I think what makes the SFL specific schools unique is the wealth of talent within a relatively small (maybe 20 mile radius) area. There are not many places in Ca that have enough talent within that small of an area to fill out the rosters of 4-5 major public school programs, and allow them to compete at a high level every year. That's just my personal thoughts on that.

And, the good football programs are also good bets academically and located in good, safe neighborhoods. You might have a great program, but if it based in a dangerous neighborhood or the academics stink, you aren't going.

And, the good football programs are also good bets academically and located in good, safe neighborhoods. You might have a great program, but if it based in a dangerous neighborhood or the academics stink, you aren't going.
Agreed. I forgot to mention that part. All of the above mentioned schools are all top rated and located in extremely desirable places to live. Good call.

Hah, Good one, like the irony........ when my kid did a visit to USC his junior HS year my wife loved the campus/ programs but freaked out about the surrounding, off campus neighborhood. She said USC felt like Fort Apache...........and we have lived in Oakland over 30 years!!

Reactions: bella123
Elk Grove area probably has the most schools crammed in a 20 mile radius

I was referring more to wealth of talent in a semi small area. Sierra Foothills schools.
Oh ok are most of the sfl schools within 20 miles of each other? I think the Elk Grove schools are even closer which is pretty impressive that all the schools can field football teams seems as if Monterey trails gets hit the hardest some years they barely can field a team if the realignment does happen they should be more competitive

Oh ok are most of the sfl schools within 20 miles of each other? I think the Elk Grove schools are even closer which is pretty impressive that all the schools can field football teams seems as if Monterey trails gets hit the hardest some years they barely can field a team if the realignment does happen they should be more competitive
Tough to say exactly.

I know Folsom is like 3 miles from VDL. About 10 to OR. Maybe 12 to GB. Maybe 15 to DO. That's pretty darn close for all that talent.

Elk Grove has a ton of schools within the city limits. It is very overpopulated but does add to the talent pool for sure.

Orange County has a wealth talent.

Your the one who stated "there are not many place in CA".... not me. Now does SoCal count as part of CA or am I lost?
There aren't many. You said one county in the entire state. I stated one small piece of one county. Since we are on the topic of talent, why don't we address it. Let's make this fun in the light of IndianPride womanly negativity.

All of the scholarship athletes from 2007 to now. Be advised there are more to add from this year.

Ariel Ngata – Washington State

Drake Stallworth- Hawaii

Evan Michalet- San Jose State

Jonah Williams- Alabama

Kooper Richardson- UC Davis

Tre Green- Cal Poly

Jake Jeffrey- Cal Poly

Roger Neal- Nevada

Jake Browning- Washington

Cody Creason- Arizona

Josiah Deguara- Cincinnati

Cole Thompson- Harvard

Sam Whitney- Boise State

Bailey Laolagi- UNLV

Sam Whittingham- Utah

Tyler Crandall- Nevada

Lukas Hendricks- San Jose State

Parker Boone- Cal Lutheran

Phillip Carter- Duke

Joshua Wormley- Winston-Salem State

Michael McCuaig- William Jewel College

Tanner Trosin- Cal Poly

Carson McMurtney- Cal Poly

Doug Vernon- Cornell

YuvRaaj Madra- Weber State

Jordan Alleva- UC San Diego

Mark Meyer- Sac State

Dano Graves- Air Force

Marcus Hendricks- Air Force

Jordan Richards- Stanford, now New England Patriots

Tyler Trosin- Oregon State

Burton DeKoning- Nevada

Stephen Sippel- Cal Poly

Sam Lueken- Azuza Pacific

David Graves- Hawaii

Brandon Babineaux- UNLV

Andrew Benavides- Idaho State

Blake Oliaro- UC San Diego

Cary Grossart- Northern Arizona

Ryan Rau- Portland State

Aaron Colldeweih- UC Davis

Since 2007

33 scholarship players

2 State Titles

5 Section Titles

7 League Titles

There aren't many. You said one county in the entire state. I stated one small piece of one county. Since we are on the topic of talent, why don't we address it. Let's make this fun in the light of IndianPride womanly negativity.

All of the scholarship athletes from 2007 to now. Be advised there are more to add from this year.

Ariel Ngata – Washington State

Drake Stallworth- Hawaii

Evan Michalet- San Jose State

Jonah Williams- Alabama

Kooper Richardson- UC Davis

Tre Green- Cal Poly

Jake Jeffrey- Cal Poly

Roger Neal- Nevada

Jake Browning- Washington

Cody Creason- Arizona

Josiah Deguara- Cincinnati

Cole Thompson- Harvard

Sam Whitney- Boise State

Bailey Laolagi- UNLV

Sam Whittingham- Utah

Tyler Crandall- Nevada

Lukas Hendricks- San Jose State

Parker Boone- Cal Lutheran

Phillip Carter- Duke

Joshua Wormley- Winston-Salem State

Michael McCuaig- William Jewel College

Tanner Trosin- Cal Poly

Carson McMurtney- Cal Poly

Doug Vernon- Cornell

YuvRaaj Madra- Weber State

Jordan Alleva- UC San Diego

Mark Meyer- Sac State

Dano Graves- Air Force

Marcus Hendricks- Air Force

Jordan Richards- Stanford, now New England Patriots

Tyler Trosin- Oregon State

Burton DeKoning- Nevada

Stephen Sippel- Cal Poly

Sam Lueken- Azuza Pacific

David Graves- Hawaii

Brandon Babineaux- UNLV

Andrew Benavides- Idaho State

Blake Oliaro- UC San Diego

Cary Grossart- Northern Arizona

Ryan Rau- Portland State

Aaron Colldeweih- UC Davis

Since 2007

33 scholarship players

2 State Titles

5 Section Titles

7 League Titles
Are they all from that 20 mile area if not then it's irrelevant to the topic either way 33 players is a lot glad to see em get it done in the classroom

Are they all from that 20 mile area if not then it's irrelevant to the topic either way 33 players is a lot glad to see em get it done in the classroom
Thanks future! There are some top notch schools on the list so that says a lot about the stressing of education at our HS.

Let's make this fun in the light of IndianPride womanly negativity.

How exactly was I negative? You want to talk 20 mile radius well, Servite, MD,OLU,MV,Bosco,SC,Etc, are all about 20 mile radius. But it easier to just put Orange County. Look I can understand your panties getting knotted up because I brought up a SoCal section and you wanted to only be NorCal. But you clearly stated "in CA"

How exactly was I negative? You want to talk 20 mile radius well, Servite, MD,OLU,MV,Bosco,SC,Etc, are all about 20 mile radius. But it easier to just put Orange County. Look I can understand your panties getting knotted up because I brought up a SoCal section and you wanted to only be NorCal. But you clearly stated "in CA"
I'm fully aware of SoCal schools. Fortunately, I can go on the SoCal board whenever I'd like when I want to talk OC football.

I'm fully aware of SoCal schools. Fortunately, I can go on the SoCal board whenever I'd like when I want to talk OC football.

So maybe when only wanting to address NorCal football you shouldn't include the whole state in topic. Because somebody might step up and prove you wrong. Just saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT