ADVERTISEMENT

Fair play to pay

Had to look this one up on Google.

My first thought is... Well... I don't know... I'm sure the NCAA will look at this REAL closely, then decide whether there's any college-eligibility issues. If the NCAA decides beforehand that anyone who uses this rule and then finds a way to make money off their image is flat-out ineligible to play in college, there'll be lawsuits a-plenty.

If on the other hand the NCAA waits until after someone actually uses the rule and makes money BEFORE they rule, there'll be lawsuits a-plenty.

Have fun, lawyers...

Watch "Gavin Newsom signs California's 'Fair Pay to Play Act' with LeBron James & Mav Carter | THE SHOP" on YouTube

Simple solution is for game makers not to use Cali teams in their video games. No teams, no image, no pay. The games will still sale, but schools will get no $ for use of their logos.

Reactions: Barking Dog
Imagine what this could do for California sports. If other states don’t join this wave, recruitment could become huge. California would have the ability to gain its notoriety back. I can foresee USC, UCLA, Cal and SDSU benefiting from this. Take it like this, a recruit has the chance to play at Florida would will only allow them to collect their stipends. Or, they can go to a school in California and capitalize on meet ups, commercials, YouTube revenue and other avenues. I know this sounds selfish, but I hope California colleges become major players after this.

Imagine what this could do for California sports. If other states don’t join this wave, recruitment could become huge. California would have the ability to gain its notoriety back. I can foresee USC, UCLA, Cal and SDSU benefiting from this. Take it like this, a recruit has the chance to play at Florida would will only allow them to collect their stipends. Or, they can go to a school in California and capitalize on meet ups, commercials, YouTube revenue and other avenues. I know this sounds selfish, but I hope California colleges become major players after this.

The way I see it is: unless schools spread the money around from the sports that make money to all the athletes, only the cream of the top players would benefit from this.

And I believe that if this should happen, Pro sports should be contributing to a general fund for all high school and College athletes. Pro players don't exist in a vacuum. It happens because the average good athlete makes up 95% of the teams in High School and College.

Here's wishing you great hoops

This new law would help mostly the elite players in the revenue sports, but I think it opens opportunities for players in college towns and local businesses. It changes the recruiting dynamic based on how your town invests in college athletics and how you can pitch that potential to recruits.

There will be bending of rules, but also will shift where players go

@En4cr you are right big time elite schools will just not schedule california teams at the current moment we dont have a top 5 program in football or basketball in California.This law could potentially hurt
the smaller schools who receive big game
checks for playing power out of conference
School's especially in football.

I heard it doesn't come into effect till 2023, whereas the State of Florida is going to vote and make it official in 2020. Therefore, other states will adopt it immediately, and California will be behind regardless.

Soon, this will trickle down to the High School level as well. The time is coming.

I heard it doesn't come into effect till 2023, whereas the State of Florida is going to vote and make it official in 2020. Therefore, other states will adopt it immediately, and California will be behind regardless.

Soon, this will trickle down to the High School level as well. The time is coming.

you heard wrong...

NCAA basically adopted CA law. Now the question will be.. will schools be allowed to reduce scholarship $ based on financial gain of individual players?

You can see where this is going and you're going to see a line drawn in the sand when it comes to having a great athlete come to your school or not. Your D1 level kids will have whispers in their ear from all angles. *make money, get money, make money, take money* ... Programs like PP, IMG, Oak Hill, Hillcrest, etc are going to have rosters 15 deep with kids all over the country that put cash above education (reality is thats how it is now).

99.9% of high school institutions probably dont profit off their student athletes. They are institutions of learning. What a sad day when a 14, 15 year old kid athlete is going to feel entitled and the school should kiss his/her butt. Guess what? The world doesnt revolve around you and your ability to run fast or put the ball in a hoop. But by all means capitalize when you can, just not the expense of a high school.

Everyone is a free market capitalist until profit trickles down to the community that needs it the most. Then it undermines education and makes the athlete entitled. Dropping out of high school didn't hurt Samprass, Agassi or Nadal. Venus and Serena both went to high school and avoided college all together and neither are entitled.

Would we make Beethoven or Bach finish high school or go to college for that matter if they showed their level of talent in 8th grade?

Golfers Kevin Na, Greg Norman, Ernie Els and Sergio Garcia never touched a college campus. Most of the best golfers play juniors and never end up on a campus at all. Are they entitled? Should they be not allowed to make money because they didn't go to college?

When we are selective on who "should" go to college and who "should not" and who has the right to profit off their talent and who doesn't means there is another reason.

Its obvious what that reason is........

Everyone is a free market capitalist until profit trickles down to the community that needs it the most. Then it undermines education and makes the athlete entitled. Dropping out of high school didn't hurt Samprass, Agassi or Nadal. Venus and Serena both went to high school and avoided college all together and neither are entitled.

Would we make Beethoven or Bach finish high school or go to college for that matter if they showed their level of talent in 8th grade?

Golfers Kevin Na, Greg Norman, Ernie Els and Sergio Garcia never touched a college campus. Most of the best golfers play juniors and never end up on a campus at all. Are they entitled? Should they be not allowed to make money because they didn't go to college?

When we are selective on who "should" go to college and who "should not" and who has the right to profit off their talent and who doesn't means there is another reason.

Its obvious what that reason is........

Little different here because they are in a different category as INDIVIDUALS. Those sports its basically you. You dont need a team or teammates. If you can play an instrument or sing, thats on you. You dont need a band. The team sports you cant really measure yourself skill-wise unless you are playing with and against competition of equal or greater skill. This is what USA was built on, CAPITALISM. If you can, then by all means capitalize.

Most euntrapnauers at a very young age face the decison: Go to school or put that time in effort into a passion that can create a income. Mr. Wonderful is telling 13 year olds nightly to drop out of school on Shark Tank because they have a idea, skillset or ability that can create a demand. To maximize that demand they should focus more on the business.

We understand this in almost every other sport on the planet soccer, golf, tennis, swimming ect that if we are good, we should be able to profit from that. Parents home school kids, some stop working completely and dedicate all their time to help hone their sons skills so that they might generate income. Some would even refer to them as good parents.

When it comes to football and basketball (primarily basketball) for some reason the same standards talked about above no longer apply.

If a person has a skill that is demanded in the a market, they should be allowed to take that skill to the market place and receive what that skill demands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT