ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom in the Open?

Sacchiefs

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2018
Serious question.

Folsom has been a extremely successful program for the last 13 years or so but have failed to make it to the Open Championship game. They are consistently a good to great football team each and every year. I am just curious what others think/feel. What does Folsom have to do to, or better yet, what is the formula they will need to follow, in order to finally make it the top spot in Norcal at the end of the year come bowl time.

Thus far only 3 Norcal teams have participated in the open game. Serra, DLS, and Grant. I understand ultimately you have to win and beat the teams on your schedule. But what is preventing them from winning some of these key games when it counts. Is it coaching, do they panic on the big stage, start out slow, injuries, luck, physicality, scheduling, lack of an Open play in game, lose to a superior team, etc. I am curious what others feel.

Personally i'd like to see the Open play in game come back. And honestly, after 13 years i'd like to see them play the top team from Socal someday. Any thoughts?

No reason not have an Open Play in game at this point and settle it that way
There are lots of reasons not to have the Open regional game. It benefits nobody.

It doesn’t even really benefit fans. If the Open regional were to return, the big intersectional games could immediately diminish. Anyone who claims otherwise has a bad memory, since it literally *did* happen the year the regional went away… DLS turned down a game with Folsom because they thought they were playing them in the regional.

Serious question.

Folsom has been a extremely successful program for the last 13 years or so but have failed to make it to the Open Championship game. They are consistently a good to great football team each and every year. I am just curious what others think/feel. What does Folsom have to do to, or better yet, what is the formula they will need to follow, in order to finally make it the top spot in Norcal at the end of the year come bowl time.

Thus far only 3 Norcal teams have participated in the open game. Serra, DLS, and Grant. I understand ultimately you have to win and beat the teams on your schedule. But what is preventing them from winning some of these key games when it counts. Is it coaching, do they panic on the big stage, start out slow, injuries, luck, physicality, scheduling, lack of an Open play in game, lose to a superior team, etc. I am curious what others feel.

Personally i'd like to see the Open play in game come back. And honestly, after 13 years i'd like to see them play the top team from Socal someday. Any thoughts?
Folsom scheduled to try to get to the Open this year, and they quite possibly fell short with their loss to Serra. A lot of dominos now have to fall for them for another shot this year.

There are lots of reasons not to have the Open regional game. It benefits nobody.

It doesn’t even really benefit fans. If the Open regional were to return, the big intersectional games could immediately diminish. Anyone who claims otherwise has a bad memory, since it literally *did* happen the year the regional went away… DLS turned down a game with Folsom because they thought they were playing them in the regional.
Fine let the committee arbitrarily select the sacrificial lamb it doesn’t really matter I guess anyways, u get rewarded with a slaughter at the hands of mercenaries

In terms of the regional game question, I prefer a regular season schedule like we had this year over an open regional game. I don’t think you can have both. And given the current programs and coaches at the top, I think these early season games are here to stay.

For Folsom, I think they are doing all they can. The non league schedule has really improved, defense gets better each year for the most part. This year, they won two big games but lost to Serra. Now they need some help to get there even if they can win SJS D1. But they are in the mix and that’s all you can ask for.

News Alert: The NorCal Open regional championship game has already been played. It was held on 8/26/22 on the Smurf Field, with Serra declared the NorCal Open champion. No other NorCal team has been able to dethrone the Padres of San Mateo to date, and much doubt any NorCal team will be able to knock them off the NorCal Open thrown.

Fine let the committee arbitrarily select the sacrificial lamb it doesn’t really matter I guess anyways, u get rewarded with a slaughter at the hands of mercenaries
As long as we get a number of these big intersectional games, the Open selection will not typically be arbitrary.

Reactions: MC415
As long as we get a number of these big intersectional games, the Open selection will not typically be arbitrary.
But they are all early games, would be pretty awesome to see the best 2 teams at the end of the year when they have fully developed and get early season jitters out of the way, but like I said doesn’t really matter

For the third straight week, Serra looks unmotivated and uninterested in their game. Serra Qb has three interceptions in the first quarter. Folsom and St Mary's are better right now and play in a better league schedule. Serra's defense is very good, but WCAL is really weak this year. Not getting tested is going to eventually hurt them.

Folsom and/or the SJS messed up the Nor Cal Open game. They complained prematurely before the premier athletes in the region started showing up on their doorstep. They didn’t realize that their coaching, success, style of play and opportunities to play De La Salle were attractive to families throughout the region. Especially Wide Receivers and QBs…. As a result, the Bulldogs are now getting much better athletes that are capable of tilting the field in their favor.

They have a good shot of playing in the Open, in the near future. If they get there, this will do miracles for their program.

De La Salles decline, if long term, opens up opportunities for other teams to compete in the Open.

Reactions: THEOC89
They complained prematurely before the premier athletes in the region started showing up on their doorstep
No one complained. The coaches were quoted in a newspaper and were asked a question. No one EVER complained to the CIF.

Folsom was dominate and had NFL players before any of this even happened. The wheels have been in motion for a while.

Folsom's schedule had been fairly light in the early dominate years. As of late, they have traveled to SoCal, and scheduled elite level opponents on/or above their level.

No one complained. The coaches were quoted in a newspaper and were asked a question. No one EVER complained to the CIF.

Folsom was dominate and had NFL players before any of this even happened. The wheels have been in motion for a while.

Folsom's schedule had been fairly light in the early dominate years. As of late, they have traveled to SoCal, and scheduled elite level opponents on/or above their level.
There were definitely conversations had. Conversing with the Bee is big time complaining…

Folsom has been good for a while but their wide receiver crew has gotten drastically better in the recent years. That’s because Folsom is a wide receivers playground. It has turned into Wide Receiver U.

Families from around the region now consider sending their kids to Folsom because it’s turned into a showcase for Receivers…

They are using the Folsom platform as a showcase for their kids talents.

To be honest, sections and teams have been trying to game the section/NorCal structure for a long time.

There were definitely conversations had. Conversing with the Bee is big time complaining…
Being asked to give an interview where you are asked questions is not complaining.

Now- All the SFL coaches banding together to talk to the Bee to write an article to complain about Folsom and ban them from the SFL is complaining. :)

And what Folsom is doing or not doing now is NO DIFFERENT than what DLS or any powerhouse private has been doing for 40 years. Zero difference. In fact, it is much harder for Folsom, considering there are actual disctrict boundaries and tight restrictions for transfers. Guess what- These privates have ZERO rules or restrictions. So stop crying lol

I hear people crying on here ALL THE TIME for Folsom to schedule MD or SJB, then turn around and complain about "folsom recruiting!" How silly does that sound?

Heck- if you look at Cen10....Do you think all those athletes are being spit out in Corona? Have you been to Corona!? C'mon!

If you want to break it down even further for SFL schools, ALL of them get transfers. The SFL schools are a hotbed for families relocating from all over. The whole argument about "not being from or born in Folsom" argument is pretty stupid, considering ALL the local rosters are filled with kids who aren't technically "from" Loomis, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, etc...... 90 percent of the parents are from somewhere else. There has been drastic growth here in the last 20 years. Stop complaining- grow your program and beat them.

Being asked to give an interview where you are asked questions is not complaining.

Now- All the SFL coaches banding together to talk to the Bee to write an article to complain about Folsom and ban them from the SFL is complaining. :)

And what Folsom is doing or not doing now is NO DIFFERENT than what DLS or any powerhouse private has been doing for 40 years. Zero difference. I hear people crying on here ALL THE TIME for Folsom to schedule MS or SJB, then turn around and complain about "folsom recruiting!" How silly does that sound?

Heck- if you look at Cen10....Do you think all those athletes are being spit out in Corona? Have you been to Corona!? C'mon!

If you want to break it down even further for SFL schools, ALL of them get transfers. The SFL schools are a hotbed for families relocating from all over. The whole argument about "not being from or born in Folsom" argument is pretty stupid, considering ALL the local rosters are filled with kids who aren't technically "from" Loomis, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, etc...... 90 percent of the parents are from somewhere else. There has been drastic growth here in the last 20 years.
All schools complain, Folsom included.

Folsom doesn’t have to recruit. Families are well aware of their program. Their success and style of play attracts players.

It attracted Ngata, Badger, Flores, and Smith. There are several other families with stud wide receivers who have considered sending their kids to Folsom.

These families typically move into the district prior to their freshman year.

I’m not saying that the trend is unique to Folsom. This trend definitely predates Folsom and it’s success. Fahave been doing this to give their kids better opportunities.

My point is Folsom (most recently) has been getting a different caliber of Receiver. The top tier athletes (Ngata, Badger, Flores) have been showing up in succession.

***These guys are head and shoulders better than the Bulldog receivers that predate them….

My point is Folsom (most recently) has been getting a different caliber of Receiver. The top tier athletes (Ngata, Badger, Flores) have been showing up in succession.
I got it- but I am struggling to find your real point.

You don't beat DLS twice in a row in Concord with receivers lol

And what Folsom is doing or not doing now is NO DIFFERENT than what DLS or any powerhouse private has been doing for 40 years. Zero difference. In fact, it is much harder for Folsom, considering there are actual disctrict boundaries and tight restrictions for transfers. Guess what- These privates have ZERO rules or restrictions. So stop crying lol

I hear people crying on here ALL THE TIME for Folsom to schedule MD or SJB, then turn around and complain about "folsom recruiting!" How silly does that sound?

If you want to break it down even further for SFL schools, ALL of them get transfers. The SFL schools are a hotbed for families relocating from all over. The whole argument about "not being from or born in Folsom" argument is pretty stupid, considering ALL the local rosters are filled with kids who aren't technically "from" Loomis, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Folsom, etc...... 90 percent of the parents are from somewhere else. There has been drastic growth here in the last 20 years. Stop complaining- grow your program and beat them.
Agree. The private/parochials have no limits on their enrollment reach. A glance at the WCAL's St. Francis roster several years ago revealed that their varsity guys hailed from 27 different cities stretching into the East Bay and down to Morgan Hill and Gilroy. Some even came from Pacifica on the San Francisco border. Any whining about public schools is misplaced They are all at a distinct disadvantage. More power to Folsom and its public school ilk.

Reactions: pastyfastquick3

Number of football transfers from schools in the Sacramento area​

Folsom had the most transfers on its football roster last season with 18
Folsom

Whitney

Capital Christian

Granite Bay

Del Oro

Oak Ridge

Jesuit

Elk Grove

Rocklin

Pleasant Grove

River City

I couldn’t disagree more.

But they are all early games, would be pretty awesome to see the best 2 teams at the end of the year when they have fully developed and get early season jitters out of the way, but like I said doesn’t really matter

^^THIS.

The entire point of having a regular season then a sectional postseason then a regional game then a State Bowl game is to determine the best teams.

That doesn’t necessarily flesh itself out over just the first couple weeks of the season.

Even if these teams happen to schedule correctly and get the best teams on their non-league schedule (no guarantee at all) it’s not uncommon for the best teams to change throughout the season or for someone unforeseen to emerge.

And what about the Central section? Due to distance those top teams aren’t always on the top SJS, NCS, CCS team’s schedules.

This current season very well may demonstrate why the OPEN Regional is needed. If St. Mary’s and Serra both go undefeated, or Clovis West and one of SM’s and Serra, and the OPEN participant is decided by committee — that’s a joke.

I get that if there’s more than 2 worthwhile teams it has to come down to a committee decision on who plays in the Regional game. But that’s still a much better option than no game at all.

Let these teams decide it on the field as much as possible.

If having an OPEN Regional causes some coaches to stop scheduling top opponents in the preseason — so be it.

Getting the top 2 teams that have emerged over the course of an entire season is far more important IMO.

Most importantly, it’s guaranteed to happen versus hoping it happens in the preseason. And it’s typically a far better game as teams have played together for 4 months versus only a few weeks.

I got it- but I am struggling to find your real point.

You don't beat DLS twice in a row in Concord with receivers lol

My point is—- Adding Power 5 recruits, some of the top offensive playmakers in the country, to your roster, has made a huge difference.

These athletes make it difficult for DLS to just send their blitz package at the QB all game, like they did in the early years against Folsom. They now have to account for multiple 3-5 star athletes… For the Ngata Brothers, Badger and Flores can take it to the house on any given play.

If you noticed Folsom actually moved the chains well against DLS the last few times that they played. In the early years, they were 3 and out/ turnover on downs all night long. This is attributed to the Power 5 recruits that they have on the field. Folsom has had more talent than DLS the last 3 or so times that they met.

Not True…. It was Arbitrary Last Year Because The Teams didn’t play each other on the Field….

If ST Mary’s and Serra Win out this year it will Arbitrarily be given to one of those teams because they didn’t play on the Field….

Every year since 2014 it has been Arbitrarily Given to DLS except for 2018 when the clear #1 and #2 teams played in the first game of the year…. But Who wouldn’t have wanted to see a rematch of that game for The Open?…

So You are completely wrong because the Open has been “Arbitrarily” awarded every year since the Folsom rule went into effect….

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Not True…. It was Arbitrary Last Year Because The Teams didn’t play each other on the Field….

If ST Mary’s and Serra Win out this year it will Arbitrarily be given to one of those teams because they didn’t play on the Field….

Every year since 2014 it has been Arbitrarily Given to DLS except for 2018 when the clear #1 and #2 teams played in the first game of the year…. But Who wouldn’t have wanted to see a rematch of that game for The Open?…

So You are completely wrong because the Open has been “Arbitrarily” awarded every year since the Folsom rule went into effect….
Until last year, DLS had beaten Folsom for the last several years. That’s pretty much decided it.

Last year, Serra beat St. Francis and St. Francis had beaten De La Salle. In turn, DLS had beaten Folsom.

How does it feel to not understand anything all the time? The whole world must seem like an enchanted wonderment every day.

I couldn’t disagree more.

You can’t get a true playoff, which is what you’re really asking. You have 4 major sections in NorCal for D-I. Every year, you could have situations where the winners don’t play. No matter what you think, even the Open regional participants will be arbitrarily selected.

As it stands, no section benefits from having their teams eliminated early, so no section has any reason to vote for this.

You can’t have this only in NorCal. That’s a non-starter. In SoCal, the divisions are specifically set up to not have a regional, so it’s a non-starter there, too.

You can’t have what you want, Thunder. No matter what. The sectional system doesn’t allow for it. It’s not conventional like college basketball or even high school basketball.

The only curiosity is for people like yourself who might view the players as gladiators, competing for your enjoyment. But, this does not benefit the sections and the sections aren’t going away.

At the end of the day, this isn’t about you, other fans, or your perception of how players or teams should feel.

You could actually have two 64-team tournaments (Larger and Smaller schools) that would crown a true State Champion and a Small School State Champion.

There could be trophies and honors for Section Champions and Regional Champions along the way. You could also run an NIT-style tournament at the local levels for teams who didn't qualify and/or don't want to deal with all of the extended travel. You could also have teams that lose in the BIG tournament drop back into the NIT-style tourney along the way.

It's all just logistics. Cut the regular season to nine games with every team guaranteed at least one post-season match-up. By week 15 you could have a true state champion, a small school state champ, and all sorts of teams with commemorative trophies.

You could actually have two 64-team tournaments (Larger and Smaller schools) that would crown a true State Champion and a Small School State Champion.

There could be trophies and honors for Section Champions and Regional Champions along the way. You could also run an NIT-style tournament at the local levels for teams who didn't qualify and/or don't want to deal with all of the extended travel. You could also have teams that lose in the BIG tournament drop back into the NIT-style tourney along the way.

It's all just logistics. Cut the regular season to nine games with every team guaranteed at least one post-season match-up. By week 15 you could have a true state champion, a small school state champ, and all sorts of teams with commemorative trophies.
Makes no sense. Currently 80 SJS teams make the playoffs. Under your system (128 teams Statewide), I’d guess that numbers drops to what, 12-16 teams from the SJS play in the postseason, at the most? Good Luck getting that approved.

We have to remember the goal of the sections, and high school sports in general, isn’t to determine a State Champion. It’s to create opportunities for kids to participate.

Reactions: Cal 14
Makes no sense. Currently 80 SJS teams make the playoffs. Under your system (128 teams Statewide), I’d guess that numbers drops to what, 12-16 teams from the SJS play in the postseason, at the most? Good Luck getting that approved.

We have to remember the goal of the sections, and high school sports in general, isn’t to determine a State Champion. It’s to create opportunities for kids to participate.
This right here...

Everyone has to step away from the convention and understand that everything that takes place is at the behest of the sections. The sections want opportunities for their teams and players.

While a true state championship setup (in multiple divisions) might be ideal, all of the sections have to see the benefit of it. Sorry, but the current setup really benefits them all unless there can be some sort of sponsorship that helps all equitably. Don't see that happening.

It very well might not make sense to you because I did not fully explain it. It is actually based in part on a proposal that Cal Preps had on their site several years ago. The same total number of teams could make the playoffs (NIT-style). It's just that the top 128 would be entered into two 64-team State Championship tournaments.

But yes, the whole point of high school athletics is not to determine a champion. I get what it is actually about. That wasn't really the issue that was being discussed, however.

Reactions: mrbig864
Agree. The private/parochials have no limits on their enrollment reach. A glance at the WCAL's St. Francis roster several years ago revealed that their varsity guys hailed from 27 different cities stretching into the East Bay and down to Morgan Hill and Gilroy. Some even came from Pacifica on the San Francisco border. Any whining about public schools is misplaced They are all at a distinct disadvantage. More power to Folsom and its public school ilk.
Exactly- That's why when anyone on here starts crying, "transfers!" it starts getting pretty silly.

It would REALLY get fun if you started to post the hometowns for all these public school kids. Wink wink. :)

My point is—- Adding Power 5 recruits, some of the top offensive playmakers in the country, to your roster, has made a huge difference.

These athletes make it difficult for DLS to just send their blitz package at the QB all game, like they did in the early years against Folsom. They now have to account for multiple 3-5 star athletes… For the Ngata Brothers, Badger and Flores can take it to the house on any given play.

If you noticed Folsom actually moved the chains well against DLS the last few times that they played. In the early years, they were 3 and out/ turnover on downs all night long. This is attributed to the Power 5 recruits that they have on the field. Folsom has had more talent than DLS the last 3 or so times that they met.

Wouldn't you agree this sort of levels the playing field for playing against privates with no boundary restrictions?

Subjective. Depends on who you ask. I think they've had one of the best schedules in NorCal the past few years.
My point was not to diminish Folsoms schedule, as I agree it’s been amongst norCals best, and likely THE BEST this season. My point was, I dont think Folsom has scheduled a single team “above their level”.

Reactions: remc
Until last year, DLS had beaten Folsom for the last several years. That’s pretty much decided it.

Last year, Serra beat St. Francis and St. Francis had beaten De La Salle. In turn, DLS had beaten Folsom.

How does it feel to not understand anything all the time? The whole world must seem like an enchanted wonderment every day.
Did DLS and Serra Play on the field last year, Yes or No?…. Sorry you can’t seem to Understand this Fact and what makes the current system Arbitrary….. I know you are always “The Smartest Guy in The Room” but this seems a little over your head…. 🤣

And Remember Smart Guy, Yes DLS beat Folsom in 2019 but how did that Decide The Open Birth when Folsom didn’t even win their section?…. Doesn’t another Section Chanps Deserve the chancel to play for The Open or should it just be Arbitriarly handed out?… 🤣🤣

Just because you don’t want the Open Play in game back doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense….

Last edited:
The North will never beat the South in the Open, probably not the top 4 SoCal Teams. You can’t compete with 40 D1 guys on a roster with 5-6.
Separate North/South and have a true state playoff. NorCal is bigger than most states anyways.

Reactions: PatCarrillo
Folsom has had more talent than DLS the last 3 or so times that they met.

They did in 2014 too, along with the most physically dominant line play they’ve ever had. Arguably one of their better defenses too. Certainly their most prolific offense.

As it stands, no section benefits from having their teams eliminated early, so no section has any reason to vote for this.

You can’t have this only in NorCal. That’s a non-starter. In SoCal, the divisions are specifically set up to not have a regional, so it’s a non-starter there, too.

You can’t have what you want, Thunder. No matter what. The sectional system doesn’t allow for it. It’s not conventional like college basketball or even high school basketball.

The only curiosity is for people like yourself who might view the players as gladiators, competing for your enjoyment. But, this does not benefit the sections and the sections aren’t going away.

At the end of the day, this isn’t about you, other fans, or your perception of how players or teams should feel.

We agree on a lot. And I respect your knowledge.

But you’re way off the reservation on this one. Not only with the take that nobody benefits, but more so with this “gladiator” and “curiosity” nonsense and what I’d call a personal slight.

There’s no need or justification to take that left turn at Albuquerque.

I’ll just leave it at that.

Reactions: sammyswordsman
Did DLS and Serra Play on the field last year, Yes or No?…. Sorry you can’t seem to Understand this Fact and what makes the current system Arbitrary….. I know you are always “The Smartest Guy in The Room” but this seems a little over your head…. 🤣

One other thing he’s wrong about is the notion that these section’s teams would have their season’s ended early (by re-instituting the Regional OPEN). That's actually what's kinda happening now, but I digress.

There are multiple bowl game opportunities available for most teams. The Open and the top D1 game after it.

Under the current system (where we have no Regional OPEN) pretty much all but like 2-3 teams have been eliminated from playing in that game. Folsom being one of them. So I don’t get that comment at all.

If the Regional OPEN were in play, there'd be numerous teams still in contention for it. DLS would have had a shot at Serra last season and Folsom could position itself for another shot at Serra this season should St. Mary's, Clovis West, and maybe a few others drop out.

Having the Regional OPEN guarantees the top two teams — or at least two of the top few teams — meet at the height of their powers. And decide the SBG OPEN participant on the gridiron — not in a committee room.

That benefits everyone. No lobbying. No favoritism. No BS.

The thing he’s right about and I’ve already acknowledged in prior posts is the fact that the Southern Section would never be in favor given their sectional setup, along with other factors. And likely neither would the LA Section or San Diego Section since they'd have to face Mater Dei or SJB to get into a State game.

Most of us understand that reality. That doesn’t change the fact that the Regional OPEN would ideal for NorCal. Which is why I made the tongue-in-cheek argument for discontinuing the OPEN SBG the North will never win under current circumstances.

What's also suspect about his take is that for most of the State Bowl games existence -- including the absence of the OPEN Regional -- these cross-sectional heavyweight clashes largely weren't being scheduled.

DLS and Grant Union never scheduled. Until 2018, Folsom and DLS never scheduled.

What we got this season has only been occurring for a few seasons. And even then it's an inexact science.

How many times did DLS schedule teams over the years they "thought" would be a top tier NorCal team in a given season only to have it not turn out that way?

The Regional OPEN takes guess work out of the equation. It guarantees 2 of the very best teams -- if not the two best -- will meet to crown a NorCal Champ and SBG participant.

And contrary to his statement, there'd still be motivation to play cross-sectional games as teams still need to build a resume and separate themselves from the field in order to secure a spot in the OPEN Regional. Simply going undefeated and winning section in no way guarantees it. What if the CCS, NCS, CS and SJS champs all accomplish the same??

Better have some marquee wins.

Last edited:

But yes, the whole point of high school athletics is not to determine a champion. I get what it is actually about. That wasn't really the issue that was being discussed, however.

It's apparent to me that many are forgetting how we even got here.

While history among schools/sections is widely fragmented and different, for the most part, there used to be no such thing as a postseason.

In the Greater Northern Section, which spawned the SJS in 1942, teams essentially played a 7-9 game season culminating in a rivalry game played on Armistice or Thanksgiving day.

That was it. No postseason, no nothing.

Then some teams started playing 10 games.

Then the Capital City Championships began in the early 1970's for Large Schools, which consisted of just one game and 2 teams.

Then that expanded to 4-teams.

Then in 1976 the CIF SJS Playoffs for Division AAA (D1) was born.

None of the above ever occurred to "to create opportunities for kids to participate".

It was created because teams/players/coaches/fans wondered who was the best team and who might beat whom. A huge demand had developed. And, of course, the section realized they could bank a lot of money from it.

As many worthy teams were left out in the cold over the years, the field expanded. But the primary reason for playing the games remained the same.

Only recently, with the expansion to 13 Bowl games, did this "participation" ideaology begin.
But also because the sections/school realized they could bank a lot of money from the additional games.

THAT is the primary reason the 13 games exists versus the initial 3 game then 5 game structure.

If you really believe the CIF or the sections care about "creating opportunities for kids to participate" you're naive. They are about the money. That's it. The reasoning given is pure window dressing.

Regardless, the entire reasoning for the OPEN is precisely to determine a State Champion. When it was only 3 divisions back in 2006 the end goal was the same.

And it's still the same goal now with the OPEN. The other 12 games are just an additional money maker by giving the other 24 schools the false illusion that they are actually playing for a State Championship banner, when all it really is an exhibition bowl game.

What's hilarious is that there actually are Regional games played for every division except the one that matters most. The division that actually remains all about determining a State Champion.

Circling back to the point, the current system wouldn't even be in place if not for the evolution of it all. Which, again, was to determine who the very best team was by playing it out on the field.

Unfortunately much of that old ideology has been lost. Except at the OPEN division. Which is precisely why that game should never have been cancelled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT