ADVERTISEMENT

Foothill JC starts over

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
The Owls are back at Square One. The women's hoops program at the Los Altos community college, once one of the strongest in NorCal under the guidance of Coach Jody Craig, is trying to recover from a calamitous 2018-19 season which saw a players' revolt, a raft of forfeits and the departure of its coaching staff. This season, the program is taking a hiatus. A new head coach, Anna Harp, has been tasked with taking a full year to re-start the team in 2020-21. She is scouting high school talent to create a workable roster for next year. She can be contacted at 650-949-7648. In view of what has transpired at Foothill in the recent past, we can only wish her luck; it's a tall order.

Last edited:
I have been to some JC games and saw the women teams. Several of them have 6-8 players per team and some schools do not even field teams. With all the girls playing high school basketball and all the aau teams with girls playing earlier. Why is it so hard to field womens teams? Mens teams always have 12 plus. Maybe women decide school is more important after finishing high school.

This is a generalization, but I have found boys basketball players exhaust more options before stopping their career than girls basketball players. For example, I've seen boys basketball players go to all corners of the country to keep playing at a JUCO or prep school

Resources in each sport also plays a role.

This is a generalization, but I have found boys basketball players exhaust more options before stopping their career than girls basketball players. For example, I've seen boys basketball players go to all corners of the country to keep playing at a JUCO or prep school

Resources in each sport also plays a role.
completely agree. ball is life means more to boys. as you can see myself included i play in as many adult leagues and at any open gym i can until the wheels fall off.

For sure, girls/women tend to see competitive athletics as less compelling and important than do young males. The females, probably wisely, seem to understand that sports are not a be-all, end-all situation. Their perspective is more balanced. Which means the total player-pool is much reduced by the time colleges beckon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT