ADVERTISEMENT

Liberty (12-1) vs Sierra Canyon (12-3) in D1A State Bowl

I guess but didn’t they beat everybody they needed to be here? Pitt, CV, VC..........
Don't get me wrong, not saying Liberty is no good, quite the contrary. I think they are a quality school, but just alittle biased here cause I hate the current SBG setup. I realize they shouldn't be judged by thier loss to DLS, but them and the other losers of their respective sections had no business playing in a state bowl game.

Don't get me wrong, not saying Liberty is no good, quite the contrary. I think they are a quality school, but just alittle biased here cause I hate the current SBG setup. I realize they shouldn't be judged by thier loss to DLS, but them and the other losers of their respective sections had no business playing in a state bowl game.

I hate the set up as well don’t get me wrong. But this team just got pushed to the limit by basically a JV squad from a school of like 900.

Either way congrats to Liberty they made it happen even when it wasn’t going their way.

I hate the set up as well don’t get me wrong. But this team just got pushed to the limit by basically a JV squad from a school of like 900.

Either way congrats to Liberty they made it happen even when it wasn’t going their way.
Yes I agree with this, but feel that basing NorCal football off of Liberty is a bad gauge. Sample size much too small

Reactions: remc and bella123
Nice comeback for Liberty to complete a special year for that program. Still have the talent coming back to be in the mix next year too

It will be interesting to see how the playoffs are handled next year. If these teams Liberty, Pitt, or even CV, etc, have to go through DLS their window has basically been closed for SBG play.

It will be interesting to see how the playoffs are handled next year. If these teams Liberty, Pitt, or even CV, etc, have to go through DLS their window has basically been closed for SBG play.
Last year and this we've had a version of the Folsom Rule for the NCS what with Pitt last year and Liberty this year playing in a SBG.Which isnt bad,since some very good teams,teams that could have been SBG worthy over the years have been eliminated by DLS in NCS.

Wow shocked to see Liberty came back in this one. Turned it off midway through the 3rd with Butterfield in the tank and the D-Line getting dominated. Sorry I missed it!

If butterfield played just "average" Liberty beats that team pretty handily. I've never seen him miss that many passes and it wasn't like he was running for his life. Great win and probably a game that Butterfiled would like to have back.

Reactions: jamzz94549
If butterfield played just "average" Liberty beats that team pretty handily. I've never seen him miss that many passes and it wasn't like he was running for his life. Great win and probably a game that Butterfiled would like to have back.

Dont know what game you were watching but the Sierra Canyon corners were stride for stride with the Liberty receivers. Hence, the subpar performance.

He missed several deep passes. One was a hitch and go that the corner was totally fooled. He actually stopped and Vaki was wide open. He overthrew him. Do I need to go into specifics on each time he missed a receiver.

Reactions: jamzz94549
He missed several deep passes. One was a hitch and go that the corner was totally fooled. He actually stopped and Vaki was wide open. He overthrew him. Do I need to go into specifics on each time he missed a receiver.
I only saw 1 or 2. That is also a testament of the caliber of the team they were facing.

Reactions: THEOC89
What I saw was most of the game those corners were in the receivers back pocket.

Agree with mostly what is being said. Not a very good showing against a division 3 SoCal team. But they did it. Can’t take that away. Liberty will be Pittsburg’s new BVAL contender for the next couple years. It’s their turn. First it was the Rich Woods led Deer Valley. Then the Freedom run with Daniels, Mixon and Rivers, then Najee, now Liberty.

This may be the last year the NCS sends it’s two best teams to State. I heard the new playoff format will be NCS with an 8 team Open playoff. The first round losers go to a playoff in their respected divisions and finish out that playoff with a chance to advance to state if they win. The four winners stay in the Open, and have to win it to advance to State. A bit confusing. Sorry. Lol. The way it was told to me was it would have been like this;

NCS Open teams

DLS, Liberty, Clayton, Pitt, San Ramon, Antioch, Cardinal Newman, Bishop O’Dowd

If SR, Antioch, Newman, and Odwod lose to top four, they go back to their division playoff with a chance to win their division and advance to state.

I really hope they do not do this! The proposal I heard that makes the most sense is the one the Pittsburg and DLS athletic directors proposed which makes a D1A and a D1AA playoffs where you split the top 16 evenly into two 8 team playoffs with each having the chance to go to state.

Last year and this we've had a version of the Folsom Rule for the NCS what with Pitt last year and Liberty this year playing in a SBG.Which isnt bad,since some very good teams,teams that could have been SBG worthy over the years have been eliminated by DLS in NCS.

They aren’t SBG worthy if they can’t wrap up a section title. How many SBG “worthy” teams are left out down south because of this? So basically Liberty will hang banners for 2018 that read. 2018 league champs, 2018 section runner up, 2018 state champ. Something looks odd there right?

Your ability to predict talent and these games at this point is in serious question. After all you proclaimed this years folsom the best the area has produced in the last 25 years. That clearly wasn’t the case. Now you are trying to pump up a team you also said would push DLS they didn’t. Liberty just got pushed to the brink by a D3 team full of sophomores and a freshman.

Last edited:
Oh yeah look at me coming from left field with Folsom being the best team the last 25 years. Gee what a crazy statement. 30-1 last 2 years. 2 state champ. How many D1 players? Too many to count. How many running clocks? You think Ngata is going to Clemson early because Dabo told him he is going to Redshirt? No... Said get your ass here because you have a chance to be a starter. Been watching HS football around here for 25+ years. I will stand by my statement as will plenty others. And no I'm not comparing to DLS.

You seem just like a real debbie downer dude. Every post is negative or some spin. This team doesn't deserve this and that. Re-read what you write. Its pathetic. How about be happy for these kids and programs?

How about both Liberty and Folsom won. Both have banners. That is something. Yeah crazy predictions.

Oh yeah look at me coming from left field with Folsom being the best team the last 25 years. Gee what a crazy statement. 30-1 last 2 years. 2 state champ. How many D1 players? Too many to count. How many running clocks? You think Ngata is going to Clemson early because Dabo told him he is going to Redshirt? No... Said get your ass here because you have a chance to be a starter. Been watching HS football around here for 25+ years. I will stand by my statement as will plenty others. And no I'm not comparing to DLS.

You seem just like a real debbie downer dude. Every post is negative or some spin. This team doesn't deserve this and that. Re-read what you write. Its pathetic. How about be happy for these kids and programs?

How about both Liberty and Folsom won. Both have banners. That is something. Yeah crazy predictions.

Just because you watch something for decades doesn’t mean you understand it. In terms of this being the best team? Sorry you were wrong, the 14 team was better as I noted along with numerous others. There are also teams besides 2014 Folsom that have resumes that would put them higher. And it’s not being a “Debbie Downer” it’s pointing out reality something I guess you struggle with.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootballJunkie101
Very true. Even though I’m a BVAL guy, Pittsburg and Liberty basically took away Central’s chances at state since Folsom should have been playing DLS for the Norcal Open spot the past two years. Wilcox can be thrown in this mix as well. I believe Serra lost their section title last year as well.

Funny how the CCS teams slip under the radar usually because they seemed to be looked at as inferior to the SJS and NCS.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, since the D1 teams in the NCS are required to do something that no one in Northern California has done in nearly 30 years in order to go to State, the rest of the teams in the Northern California sections should have to do the same. If Folsom never beats DLS, than too bad.

Last edited:
As you nascar, I too hate the SBG setup. Though I have never refuted you in the pass I do disagree with your post here. Losing to a private when you're a public in the section championship game tends to make me agree with the committee on this one. And that's to allow the public's an opportunity to play in the SBG's until they fix this horrid problem. Now if you just want to see privates in the state championship games than you'll get what you're asking for here. But if you're like myself and many others that's not what you want. Now I can go into the private playing private and the public playing public but I'll save that for another topic all together. I just believe it's only fair to give these public schools a chance to show and prove on the big stage as well as the privates which have the transfer advantage in high school sports.

Very true. Even though I’m a BVAL guy, Pittsburg and Liberty basically took away Central’s chances at state since Folsom should have been playing DLS for the Norcal Open spot the past two years. Wilcox can be thrown in this mix as well. I believe Serra lost their section title last year as well.

Funny how the CCS teams slip under the radar usually because they seemed to be looked at as inferior to the SJS and NCS.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, since the D1 teams in the NCS are required to do something that no one in Northern California has done in nearly 30 years in order to go to State, the rest of the teams in the Northern California sections should have to do the same. If Folsom never beats DLS, than too bad.

Outstanding Post!!!!.... I agree 100%!!!!..... Bring back some form of The Open Regional!!!....

I only saw 1 or 2. That is also a testament of the caliber of the team they were facing.

I agree with this!!!!... If those kids at SC stay together they could be a Formidable D1AA team the next couple of years!!!....

I was Impressed with Both Teams and Happy for the Lions!!!... Glad they brought home The D1A Title for Nor Cal!!!!....

I agree with this!!!!... If those kids at SC stay together they could be a Formidable D1AA team the next couple of years!!!....

I was Impressed with Both Teams and Happy for the Lions!!!... Glad they brought home The D1A Title for Nor Cal!!!!....
I wasen't impressed with either team at the 1A level. SC was damn near a JV team. ..so I guess that is impressive

They aren’t SBG worthy if they can’t wrap up a section title. How many SBG “worthy” teams are left out down south because of this? So basically Liberty will hang banners for 2018 that read. 2018 league champs, 2018 section runner up, 2018 state champ. Something looks odd there right?
My point is they couldn’t “Folsom Rule” their way out of having to play DLS, since they were in the same section.Yes, your point about the banners is a good one, as is the one about the SoCal schools.

even Patriots have a bad game and still win. so liberty had several sophomore starters i believe a freshman on special teams a lot of juniors starting still won.

liberty would beat that team 10 out of 10 times. Sierra canyon will be real good next year.

however CIF better do something with the way the state games are. they are watered down
Too bad a Bosco or centennial or oaks christian or Jserra cant play for a state bowl game.

Your ability to predict talent and these games at this point is in serious question. After all you proclaimed this years folsom the best the area has produced in the last 25 years. That clearly wasn’t the case. Now you are trying to pump up a team you also said would push DLS they didn’t. Liberty just got pushed to the brink by a D3 team full of sophomores and a freshman.
Typical Larry, acting like he knows everything about football because he has watched for 30 years...

"You seem just like a real debbie downer dude. Every post is negative or some spin. This team doesn't deserve this and that. Re-read what you write. Its pathetic. How about be happy for these kids and programs?"

Larry, You of all people have no room to talk when it comes to negativity on this board. You've come on here and talked crap about high school players. GTFOH with that!

How does Liberty a 42 - 7 loser to DLS in the NC Open Championship get placed in the SBG D1A against a SS D3 ? Folsom Rule ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT