ADVERTISEMENT

Mater Dei scandal

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
This one, if true, is a nightmare. A news story today alleges that a violent incident within the football program at the school has left a player with severe damage.

Not a good look if school/program handled this as described in article. It reads pretty one sided as if interviewing a attorney for the plaintiff. This Bodies game is nothing new however kids have played such things for decades this isn’t news.

This will end up being the end of Rollinson’s career. Tort Law known as civil law will end up in the millions against MD, Rollinson and a host of entities and individuals. Case precedent is quite clear on this. They will likely settle out of court

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
Not a good look if school/program handled this as described in article. It reads pretty one sided as if interviewing a attorney for the plaintiff. This Bodies game is nothing new however kids have played such things for decades this isn’t news.
Nothing new? Severe damage? Really?

Reactions: aztecpadre
If a battery results in serious bodily injury, it can also be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony under California Penal Code Section 243(d). ... If charged as a felony, it can carry a prison sentence of two, three, or four years. Also, as a felony, this charge falls under California's Three Strikes law.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Bodies does not involve 3 lacerations above the eyes, a broken nose and brain damage. That’s called 1st degree assault.

Reactions: aztecpadre and remc
If a battery results in serious bodily injury, it can also be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony under California Penal Code Section 243(d). ... If charged as a felony, it can carry a prison sentence of two, three, or four years. Also, as a felony, this charge falls under California's Three Strikes law.
Like most wobblers, 95% of the time it’s charged as a misdemeanor.

Like most wobblers, 95% of the time it’s charged as a misdemeanor.
He was charged with a felony. The defense could try to cut a deal to a misdemeanor. With brain damage there is little chance of that.

Take a look at college hazing that went wrong.

Last edited:
First off, I hope the kids involved end up ok. Or at least recover as well as can be.

But with regard to that program — my initial feeling was “KARMA”.

I hope that program crumbles to the ground. Everyone that posts here regularly knows that I dislike everything about that program and what it has become.

Hopefully this is enough to put an end to it. Or at least set it back far enough to really hurt it.

Last edited:
"I'm in a bind. I can't discipline a player that beat the &%$# out of another player, because I'm a gutless coward."

Exactly right. The head coach of any program pretending they are powerless to control or discipline their players is disingenuous to say the least. They aren’t anybody I’d want teaching, leading and mentoring my kid.

While I’m not a De La Salle guy, one of the reasons I have so much respect for that program is because something like this never would have gone on under the watchful eye of Coach Ladouceur. That program never allowed rich parents or alumni, star players or even winning to alter it’s course, image or reputation.

It’s even more of an embarrassment IMO that this went on at a catholic private school.

Last edited:
That fact that is taking the prosecution this long is because they are building their case. If you want to drop a case to a lesser charge that is done very quickly.
Wrong. The Orange County District Attorney’s Office has said they do not intend to file charges in the case as they view the altercation as mutual combat. It’s about money now!

Exactly right. The head coach of any program pretending they are powerless to controll or discipline their players is disingenuous to say the least. They aren’t anybody I’d want teaching, leading and mentoring my kid.

While I’m not a De La Salle guy, one of the reasons I have so much respect for that program is because something like this never would have gone on under the watchful eye of Coach Ladouceur. That program never allowed rich parents or alumni, star players or even winning to alter it’s course, image or reputation.

It’s even more of an embarrassment IMO that this went on at a catholic private school.

Are you forgetting the two DLS football players charged with rape?

The only way I see this hurting MD is if someone lower in the hierarchy feels they are taking too much blame and becomes a whistleblower.Since no charges will be filed plausible deniability will be in full affect

Reactions: THEOC89
Did you even read the damn article?
“Both De La Salle players were not on the team at the time of the incidents because they were ineligible due to academic difficulties.”
Yes but these young men were part of the program and students at DLS! To say say “something like this would never have gone on“ at DLS is strange, as both these young men of low character were part of the school and football program.

The only way I see this hurting MD is if someone lower in the hierarchy feels they are taking too much blame and becomes a whistleblower.Since no charges will be filed plausible deniability will be in full affect
Yes. If this happens, I think the medical trainer is going to be the one.

Reactions: ararar
Yes but these young men were part of the program and students at DLS! To say say “something like this would never have gone on“ at DLS is strange, as both these young men of low character were part of the school and football program.
What part of they were not part of the team don’t you understand.

They were removed from the FB program for character issues.
That both players were ineligible at the time of the incidents doesn’t diminish the impact on De La Salle’s reputation, said De La Salle assistant coach Bob Ladouceur, formerly the team’s head coach.

He was charged with a felony. The defense could try to cut a deal to a misdemeanor. With brain damage there is little chance of that.

Take a look at college hazing that went wrong.
This is from the article posted by Streak.

“The Orange County District Attorney’s Office does not intend to file charges in the case and views the altercation as mutual combat.”

Not sure where you are getting he was “chrarged” with anything, let alone a felony?

In fact looked like SAPD wrapped up their investigation months ago requesting a criminal complaint of charges and after review the DA looked at the evidence and investigation and determined there did not merit criminal charges or it was not a case they could prove BRD? The case is 9 months old and now it looks like since no criminal charges have been filed the civil case comes out this week, the week of the championship game. It does sound like their are a ton of issues here and if shown to be true some heads will roll as they should.

Reactions: RedZone90
Numerous school officials and the coach were given the opportunity to speak with the press and declined. Surprised a school like Mater Dei does not have someone keeping an eye on the locker room ... the fight (don't know what else to call it) spilled from one room to the next and no adult knew about it? Re the newspaper report, tremendous job.

This is bigger than football and ultimately, i hope the victim in all of this is able to get back to a normal, healthy and pain free lifestyle. We’ve all been young and nieve so I do hope all of the boys involved can grow beyond this to make wiser decisions.

This said, this will turn into another example of a Private Catholic program flexing their muscles. Rollinson will not be fired as the Archdiocese of Orange will throw some money at the situation for the sake of winning ball games. If Mater Dei we’re public he would have been axed no questions asked.

A perfect comparison is Rush Propst. The guy is an ELITE douchebag. I mean, cream of the crop. He is a better coach than Rollinson’s ever been and in the Deep South where Football is truly King. But he coaches in the public school system and thus has been publicly axed three times for shit far more excusable than this.

It comes out that the man had two wives and two separate sets of kids. Hoover fired him immediately.

It comes out that he guy ran a district credit card to over $300k and fired the school principal for no reason (you read the second part right). Colquitt County fires him immediately.

He has a conversation secretly recorded in which he airs our Nick Saban. Valdosta High fires him immediately.

All bad dealings but none as bad as what Rollinson is about to get away with. Why? Because the archdiocese will take come of that offering money and make this go away.

No, what you’re doing is strange.

The topic was about over-the-top hazing rituals occurring in the locker room and the coaching staff being fully aware of it. And somehow you’ve created a straw man out of that.

Good, great, grand, wonderful.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrbig864
Nothing new? Severe damage? Really?
Nope nothing new, like I said kids and males in praticular have played these types of games for decades if not longer this isn’t news. Now the reaction by the program if true is surprising but as I noted article reads fairly one sided and from a attorneys point of view. And a attorney’s point of view is usually very slanted in one direction.

Wow look at you can copy and paste but can’t read? Article clearly stated DA isn’t pressing charges here so what does any of that have to do with what’s going on here? They viewed tape and called it mutual combat in other words boys being boys, shouldn’t surprise anybody. But again if programs reaction is true the adults reaction should surprise.

Numerous school officials and the coach were given the opportunity to speak with the press and declined. Surprised a school like Mater Dei does not have someone keeping an eye on the locker room ... the fight (don't know what else to call it) spilled from one room to the next and no adult knew about it? Re the newspaper report, tremendous job.
Silence by the program is their right and not a admission of guilt here, they are after all being sued. Not speaking is probably the best policy while it is a bad optic. The fight didn’t spill out anywhere the kids voluntarily moved due to footing from one room to the other.

Wow look at you can copy and paste but can’t read? Article clearly stated DA isn’t pressing charges here so what does any of that have to do with what’s going on here? They viewed tape and called it mutual combat in other words boys being boys, shouldn’t surprise anybody. But again if programs reaction is true the adults reaction should surprise.
It appears that MD is too big to fail.

It appears that MD is too big to fail.
Nobody is to big to fail. It was and is boys being boys simply put. Both were willing participants here. Now don’t take the statement as I agree with behavior I don’t. But again I’m not naive to what goes on and what boys do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT