ADVERTISEMENT

MOREAU VS O Dowd

meezymo

Superstar
Oct 12, 2013
Any thoughts of the game tonight? Will it be a blow out like last year or a close game?

Similar teams in terms of style of play but I'll have to give the edge to Odowd in this one... Moreau has 2 high Caliber players as we all know but Odowd has a few more and with their big inside I see them pulling away!

Odowd by 12

I also pick O'Dowd to win by double digits, for the same reason, quality size on the Dragon roster.

Moreau has the best player in Milestead. O'dowd has the size, but is not a scoring threat unless they throw them ally oop. Kyree Walker has to rebound and attack the rim. If gaskins and shaw get they shots to fall it will hard for Moreau to out score them. I have O'dowd by 2, basically they more battle tested.

Last edited:
Its REAL silent on the board right now ALL the Moreau haters where are you at? ESPECIALLY Larry Legend 33 from now on you need to keep Moreau Catholic out of your mouth, by A LOT huh.lol you are a joke man well 4 section championships in 4 years a 3 in different divisions NEVER question the heart of a champion

From the updates, it looked pretty close throughout. What was the difference?

I lived streamed it, it is still on my periscope. (yolybballbroadcast) Kyree took over the game in the second half. Nobody from O'Dowd could stop him.

I just thinks it's really refreshing that they actually still play the games. Sometimes you can't really predict how 15, 16 & 17 year olds are going to react. #hakunamatata

Somewhere in the Legend household, Larry is getting ready to have breakfast

6a00d83451574c69e201b7c8adfb84970b-320wi

As he sits there sadly not enjoying the taste of crow, he decides to turn on the television to see if he can find something to take his mind off the results of last night.

JackNicholson.jpg

Wait, he thinks, I don't need any more drama - surely there's something on Comedy Central to make me laugh and take my mind off of the fact that I've spent years ripping a coach for converting 5-stars to 3-stars only to realize that this "underperforming" and "strategy-less" coach has managed to take his team to 4 consecutive NCS finals, winning D-4 and D-3 and now will be the favored seed in D-2.

43450274.jpg

Sigh. I guess it will be better if I just stay away until they lose. Then I can hope nobody remembers any of this and I can rip them for underperforming if they fall short against Sheldon.

Its REAL silent on the board right now ALL the Moreau haters where are you at? ESPECIALLY Larry Legend 33 from now on you need to keep Moreau Catholic out of your mouth, by A LOT huh.lol you are a joke man well 4 section championships in 4 years a 3 in different divisions NEVER question the heart of a champion

To be fair, if Moreau wins on Saturday (don't count those chickens before they hatch!), they will have won 3 section championships in 4 years. BOD beat them in the D3 title game 2 years ago. Still, this won't stop the incorrect notion that they choke on the big stage. People believe what they want to, especially in this age of alternative facts.

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
9 out of 10 people on this board thought Odowd would win. I was one of them. I didn't see the game so I can't really comment. Lots of upsets last night in Norcal. You never know this time of the year. Nobody had Tam as the #6 seed doing much coming out of a weak MCAL yet they have found their stride.

Burbank loses to Beyer? St Pats get beat by Lick Wilmingding? Vista over Vanden.... List goes on.

very entertaining game.. started with several dunk and dunk attempts in first minute! overpacked house.. two good teams battled hard MC opened up 8 point lead early in third and Odowd could not get closer until late Walker had one of his better games, Gaskins played well for O'Dowd. MC tightened up at end odowd got 74-70 with about 40 seconds left but held on. Would love to see them play again.

Feel bad for Tam..about to get destroyed by MC!! This was championship game

9 out of 10 people on this board thought Odowd would win. I was one of them.

You wouldn't be getting grief if it was just a matter of you thinking that BOD would win. It's your years-long denigration of Moreau and Frank Knight that stands out. You just 2 weeks ago mocked the righteous indignation of people upset that Moreau was a 4 seed and called the MVAL "awful" and "atrocious." Meanwhile, Logan gave Dublin all they wanted in the D1 semis and Moreau is probably favored to win D2. Any other atrocious leagues out there with 2 NCS semifinalists? You also wrote "Moreau is one of (not the worse) but def up there in terms of poorly coached teams as I've seen over the years. Been watching these programs a lot longer than any of you. Kids go there and are highly rated as fresh and never get better. 4 and 5 stars turn to 3." Kind of hard to now play the "hey, I was just one of many people who thought they would lose" card. Maybe from now on, you should either revise your opinion of Knight/Moreau or at least keep that opinion to yourself instead of trying to convince others on here that you just know more than the rest of us.

5370755-better-to-remain-silent-abraham-lincoln.jpg

9 out of 10 people on this board thought Odowd would win. I was one of them. I didn't see the game so I can't really comment. Lots of upsets last night in Norcal. You never know this time of the year. Nobody had Tam as the #6 seed doing much coming out of a weak MCAL yet they have found their stride.

Burbank loses to Beyer? St Pats get beat by Lick Wilmingding? Vista over Vanden.... List goes on.
I would only cal MC over BOD a very mild upset based on seedings. I too thought Odowd would win but said would not be surprised if MC pulled it off. Do not compare #6 Tam and they "run" to championship to Moreau. They beat nobody good along the way and will be embarrassed vs MC on Saturday. They can thank NCS for not making Moreau a #2

Also most of these teams don't play each other like if they are in the same league. Yes this time of the year [end of the season, playoff elimination] any good team can come out on top. If the teams were to play a second time soon after the results can change. Hopefully everyone understands the Predicting isn't an exact science and only 3 Nor-Cal teams are undefeated against Nor-Cal opponents [Woodcreek, Sheldon and Bellarmine].

Reactions: Fentons Cream
I never underestimate the teams that come out of the WCAL either. Bellarmine, Serra, Mitty, and St Francis all seem to be better than get credit for late in the season. Especially Bellarmine this year. They are big (lots of kids 6"5) and are use to playing in close games and winning. Basically Moreau vs Odowd was the champ. D2 was all screwed up this year. Stupidest move ever was Newman opting up from D4.

I never underestimate the teams that come out of the WCAL either. Bellarmine, Serra, Mitty, and St Francis all seem to be better than get credit for late in the season. Especially Bellarmine this year. They are big (lots of kids 6"5) and are use to playing in close games and winning. Basically Moreau vs Odowd was the champ. D2 was all screwed up this year. Stupidest move ever was Newman opting up from D4.

I guess you're just going to ignore the chance to issue a mea culpa about all that you've said about Moreau and Knight?

Reactions: nostancenochance
I agree LL33. You are so over the top and critical about certain programs and coaches, all of which have certain things in common. (Elephant in the room) I am an O'Dowd supporter, but had to own and eat crow after Salesian handles us, not once but twice! I thought we'd be the best team in NorCal no question at the start of the year and clearly that isn't the case. I had enough sense to keep quiet about expectations for last night. Acknowledging when you're wrong is a sign of strength not weakness. However, it is certainly a sign of weakness when you can't admit you've been wrong.

I was shocked how easily Walker took apart O'Dowd. He blew by defenders with ease and encountered zero resistance at the rim. If Moreau could have hit free throws down the stretch, the final score wouldnt have been that close. With all the big name talent O'Dowd has, they have been somewhat of a disappointment this year. Congrats to Moreau. If they win D2, are they a candidate for the Open?

During the month of March, it's not the best team that wins....it's the hottest. Moreau looks to be on FIRE right now!!

Reactions: meezymo
Ive said this before..... Frank Knight has done a great job with that Moreau program! Im one of the older guys who remembers the 30 points wins teams would get playing in Hayward.

Real basketball guys (and coaches) already know this.

Reactions: frencheezy
Moreau doesn't lose often but a couple of things I notice about their program is the in-game adjustments, the adjustments to teams after a loss [Newark 2016, Logan 2017], and the ability to start freshmen on varsity. Although some schools also do it in the Bay Area their program does a good job [rather recruiting or not].

Why apologize? I have an opinion and I'm right along more than I'm wrong. I also think UCLA's Alford is a bad coach so don't pull any race card bullshit especially for a guy that works in Oakland. Alford doesn't know X and O's and they don't play a lick of D. Fun to watch yeah. Doesn't hurt that he has the best player in America (Lonzo) and another Lotto Pick (TJ Leaf on his team). BTW, TJ Leaf will be a lot better pro than Ivan Rabb. Big disappointment at CAL along with Jabari Bird. Not saying they are bad kids or students just saying what they've done on the court coming in as 5 star players. What Alford is very good as is recruiting. You don't have to be a good coach to be a good recruiter. That is what you have at Moreau. You guys make it sound like you are winning games with HS players. You have multiple college players every year. Who wouldn't win? Try doing what programs like Half Moon Bay and Serra do year in and out with HS kids. That to me is more impressive.

Why apologize? I have an opinion and I'm right along more than I'm wrong. I also think UCLA's Alford is a bad coach so don't pull any race card bullshit especially for a guy that works in Oakland. Alford doesn't know X and O's and they don't play a lick of D. Fun to watch yeah. Doesn't hurt that he has the best player in America (Lonzo) and another Lotto Pick (TJ Leaf on his team). BTW, TJ Leaf will be a lot better pro than Ivan Rabb. Big disappointment at CAL along with Jabari Bird. Not saying they are bad kids or students just saying what they've done on the court coming in as 5 star players. What Alford is very good as is recruiting. You don't have to be a good coach to be a good recruiter. That is what you have at Moreau. You guys make it sound like you are winning games with HS players. You have multiple college players every year. Who wouldn't win? Try doing what programs like Half Moon Bay and Serra do year in and out with HS kids. That to me is more impressive.

I have an opinion as well and my opinion is that ll3 to use the proper psychological tern is "cocksure" or a person that believes he is mostly right but is mostly wrong with extremely high narcissistic tendencies. Ha!

I tend to agree that much of Moreau's success can be attributed to their aggressive recruiting. They simply have more talent on hand than most teams they play. I do give them credit last night though because they beat a team that on paper had even greater talent and depth. Coach Knight obviously gets his guys to buy in and play hard which definitely is a credit to him.

Mr. 33 is wrong once again. No opinion here just facts. Coach Knight in his very first year at Moreau Catholic (the 2010-11 season) took over a team with no D1 or D2 players, that went 2-24 the year prior (2009-10 season) and won 18 games in the old HAAL and won HAAL Coach of the Year. By the way that year O'Dowd had Longruss and Ashley, Castro Valley had Anderson and Bobbitt, and San Leandro had Ali.

When you are wrong, just man up and say, "Hey I made a mistake" but the whole "everyone feels this way" thats turns into "its my opinion" put you in the category of person that cant admit when they maybe/are wrong

So Rabb is a disappointment? They don't feature him or consistently get him involved. He should've left last year and been paid to develop. Bird has been hurt 3 straight years and is currently getting 15 ppg and has played well against the best PAC-12 teams. Both are great kids who decided to stay close to home. I can think of what a disappointment is and it most certainly in not either one of the two young men.

Are you kidding about Bird and Rabb? I'm talking strictly hoops. Loved both of them in HS but college hasn't been that good for them on the court.

Bird was a MCD people... He was a huge recruit for Cal. Probably highest player Montgomery recruited. Sorry but he hasn't been the player most of us thought. He has played well of late which is great to see but his career hasn't been what I expected. He lost his starting job to Jordan Mathews a couple years ago who wasn't nearly as highly rated. Don't use the hurt card. Not a big game player. Gets lost. Cal has how many all americans on there team this year and they are currently a bubble team?

Rabb stock has fallen. Just proves that you are better to come out early as an unproven commodity than to shed more light on weaknesses. That is the brutal facts of the business world of the NBA. Sorry but there has been tons written on this and I've watched Cal closely over the past 20+ years. Rabb was a lottery pick this year. My bet is he falls late first round. And he's not the sort of athlete that is going to propel himself up during the draft workouts.

Next thing I'm going to hear is Marcus Lee has been a great player in college too when I was highly critical of him going to UK. Another MCD who didn't do much.

Reactions: relittleton
LL33,

You are a JOKE man a STRAIGHT JOKE because you work in Oakland you not racist? Come on man that has NOTHNG to do with anything, Coach Mellis has had multiple division 1 players, Coach Ashmore has had division 1 players, you have been a BIG Lou Ritchie fan he has had multiple division 1 players, Frank Allocco when he had those GREAT teams in the 2000's had division 1 players, shit last year they had 2 division 1 players, soooooo not sure what you are talking about, EVERY high school program that has won at a HIGH level and has advanced far in the Nor Cal playoffs has had 1 thing in common, they have all had division 1 player/players on their roster, so SAVE it man you have something against African American coaches as well as players point blank period, by you saying "I work in Oakland" shows your true colors, now Rabb is a disappointment? He is averaging a double double and is the ONLY player in the Pac 12 maybe in the country that gets doubled team EVERY time he touches the ball, so if you know anything about basketball like you say you do then you would know that means something, I guarantee you this at the end of the day he will be able to take care of his family and his self for the rest of his life, that doesn't sound like a disappointment to me.

John Wooden always had the best players. Calipari does now. I guess I should take their records with a grain of salt.

I tell you what, you're helping a lot of people here develop an opinion about you, and they're not going to apologize for what they believe, either...

77c38fabf670dcd78da271da62872537.jpg

Am I the only on NCP that thinks TAM has a shot at beating MC?

let me give you my reasons....

ABSOLUTELY MC is the CLEAR favorite and rightfully so, so don't get me wrong....if this was
a 7 game series I would take MC in 5.

BUT!!!

its a 1 gamer.

And MC just played BOD in a HIGHLY CHARGED EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL game.
The MC community has been all over social media blowing the game up (and rightfully so as it was a HUGE win).
The KIDS will be patted on the back, told how great they are, and given much love thurs and Friday at school
by teachers, students, parents and anybody else around.

TAM is sitting in the proverbial "CAT BIRD SEAT" laying in the bushes ready to pounce. Heck a poster on here even said that MC has now won 4 straight section championships and the game hasn't even been played yet!! You think hes the only one thinking that way? I guarantee hes not...

MC will have TAM's full attention....Im not sure TAM will have MC's though.

this EXACT situation has happened in college on many occasions and quite often the underdog wins the game.

who can forget NCstate /Houston or Villanova /Gtown ?
In BOTH of those games on 1 side of the bracket was the "true Championship" game and the winner was supposed to crush the other side.

I'm just saying.....

I think TAM has action....and don't be surprised if they are leading late and the game goes to the wire.

and I wouldn't be shocked if they squeeked out a close one.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackduboff12
John Wooden always had the best players. Calipari does now. I guess I should take their records with a grain of salt.

I tell you what, you're helping a lot of people here develop an opinion about you, and they're not going to apologize for what they believe, either...

77c38fabf670dcd78da271da62872537.jpg

northbaybbguru,

LMAO now you sound like LL33, trust me Moreau Catholic will be focused and ready they have won 16 straight games and their not ready to loose yet MC by 15.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT