ADVERTISEMENT

Northern CA in NFL Draft

PALbooster

Sports Fanatic
Oct 26, 2007
For the first time since 2013 there were no Northern/Central California High School players selected in the first round of the NFL draft (I counted five from Southern CA). Looking at various prospect lists it looks like only one former NorCal prep player might be selected in day 2 (Carson Strong from Wood-Vacaville/Nevada).

Maxpreps published a great list of where all the the NFL draft picks over the last 10 years went to high school. Some tidbits I found interesting:

Over the last decade California ranked fourth in the number of first round picks with 26 players (Florida-44, Texas -38, and Georgia -30 were ranked higher than California). Of the 26 first round California picks from 2012-2021, 16 were from Northern/Central CA (counting everything north of the Grapevine) and 10 from Southern CA. Interestingly enough none of these first round picks came from perennial powers Mater Dei, Centennial or De La Salle and one came from from St John Bosco.

California ranked third in overall draft picks from 2012-2021 with 257 behind Texas with 284 and Florida with 326. Of the 257 from California 161 were from Southern CA and 96 from Northern/Central CA.

For reference CA has a population of 39.5 million (24 million in Southern CA and 15.5 million in Central/Northern CA) Texas has 29 million people. Florida has 21.5 million, and Georgia has 11 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastyfastquick3
For the first time since 2013 there were no Northern/Central California High School players selected in the first round of the NFL draft (I counted five from Southern CA). Looking at various prospect lists it looks like only one former NorCal prep player might be selected in day 2 (Carson Strong from Wood-Vacaville/Nevada).

Maxpreps published a great list of where all the the NFL draft picks over the last 10 years went to high school. Some tidbits I found interesting:

Over the last decade California ranked fourth in the number of first round picks with 26 players (Florida-44, Texas -38, and Georgia -30 were ranked higher than California). Of the 26 first round California picks from 2012-2021, 16 were from Northern/Central CA (counting everything north of the Grapevine) and 10 from Southern CA. Interestingly enough none of these first round picks came from perennial powers Mater Dei, Centennial or De La Salle and one came from from St John Bosco.

California ranked third in overall draft picks from 2012-2021 with 257 behind Texas with 284 and Florida with 326. Of the 257 from California 161 were from Southern CA and 96 from Northern/Central CA.

For reference CA has a population of 39.5 million (24 million in Southern CA and 15.5 million in Central/Northern CA) Texas has 29 million people. Florida has 21.5 million, and Georgia has 11 million.
Great post. Thanks for the breakdown.

Reactions: Truthhertz
This year is a downyear but we're looking at probably 6 or 7 NorCal kids in the first round next year at a minimum. We'll be back with a vengeance.

Not only was this the first year without a Norcal prep player going in the first round, I don't think there were any Norcal high school players selected in the whole draft. Let me know if I missed anyone. The previous low in the last decade was 5 players. and the average over the last decade has been 10. Definitely a down year is an understatement. On the local college level only one player drafted from Stanford in the 5th round and two from Cal in the 7th round and no one drafted from San Jose St, Sac St. or UC Davis.

In addition to Ryan Wright listed in the post above I saw that seven other NorCal/Central Cal players signed as undrafted free agents. I am sure there are a a few more.

Bryce Rodgers - Menlo-Atherton - UC Davis - Atlanta Falcons
Ronnie Rivers - Freedom - Fresno St.- Arizona Cardinals
Arron Mosby - Sanger - Fresno St. - Carolina Panthers
Jake Tonges - Los Gatos - Cal - Chicago Bears
Jack Snyder - Marin Catholic - San Jose St. - LA Rams
Carson Strong - Wood - Nevada - Philadelphia Eagles
Stone Smart - Del Oro - Old Dominion - LA Chargers

Break down of every Cali draft pick

Reactions: concrete17
a couple of more signings of local preps to undrafted free agent contracts:

Nate Landman - Monta Vista - Colorado - Atlanta Falcons
Makai Polk - El Cerrito - Cal/Mississippi State - Baltimore Ravens

I don't see Cyrus Habibi Likio on the 49er list. In addition to undrafted free agents, teams can invite players to rookie camps for tryouts to make the 90 man roster for summer camp. Signed draft picks and signed undrafted free agents are included on the 90 man roster. Perhaps Habibi Likio was invited for a rookie try out.

Reactions: pastyfastquick3
a couple of more signings of local preps to undrafted free agent contracts:

Nate Landman - Monta Vista - Colorado - Atlanta Falcons
Makai Polk - El Cerrito - Cal/Mississippi State - Baltimore Ravens

I don't see Cyrus Habibi Likio on the 49er list. In addition to undrafted free agents, teams can invite players to rookie camps for tryouts to make the 90 man roster for summer camp. Signed draft picks and signed undrafted free agents are included on the 90 man roster. Perhaps Habibi Likio was invited for a rookie try out.

You are correct, Cyrus Habibi Likio was brought in for a workout;

Last edited:
Bland was a draft pick (the only one from Norcal) not a free agent.

Yep. Drafted in the 5th round 167 overall.

While technically drafted out of Fresno State he really is product of Sac State having played and developed there for 3 seasons.

He also played and starred at Central Catholic Modesto.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT