ADVERTISEMENT

Novato Football Coach Quits

Saw a note on twitter that Miramonte won't field a JV team this year. I fear news like this will be more common in coming years

Go to your local boarding school and you will find LAX. Throughout the East Bay snd on the East Side of Sacramento in the largely white suburbs. It's an expensive sport with limited pro financial returns. But great for the guys who can afford it and want a contact type sport in the spring.

So you have to go to boarding schools to find it? Doesn't sound like an "exploding" sport to me.

Good decision, Hollister has a great football program. They are one of those programs that really gets the most out of their players.
They do there's not a lot of politics involved as well which is rare, the best eleven take the field, they have really invested into the program and athletics here with the new weight room and what they expect from the young men that play, he started last year as a junior got hurt about half way through the season came back after missing a couple games but they ran a 3 indside backer rotation which really allowed him and the other junior valuable game time experience.

I see 3 bad factors right now.
1. Bad time to be a coach. Parents are making it not worth the effort. Too close to coaches with text, emails, and helicopters flying. How many people have said screw this? I know a handful.
2. Costs.
3. Concussion and Fear

Recipe for continued pressure on football teams and we were only see more go bye bye.

Define "exploded". I remember my sophomore year (01-02) a club LAX team started up in Monterey and everybody was talking about how LAX was this fast growing sport and it was going to take off in popularity and blah blah blah. 16 years later not a single school in Monterey county offers the sport.

Doesn't sound like a sport that's "exploding" to me.
Carmel high has had a boys and girls team for years now. So has PG, RLS, Salinas, aptos, Hollister, Palma and a few others locally.

Reactions: RLS13
Define "exploded". I remember my sophomore year (01-02) a club LAX team started up in Monterey and everybody was talking about how LAX was this fast growing sport and it was going to take off in popularity and blah blah blah. 16 years later not a single school in Monterey county offers the sport.

Doesn't sound like a sport that's "exploding" to me.

Semantics, +/-15 years ago only RLS (Stevenson) was playing Lacrosse in Monterey County, It was a winter sport and they played in a Santa Barbra county league. Now the MTAL (Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Biento and South Santa Clara counties) has 14 teams 5 of them: RLS, PG, Carmel, Salinas and Palma are in Monterey County. Exploded may not be the right word but it has gotten more popular.

This year I know of at least three youth football players who switched helmets and are now doing a fall indoor lacrosse league/team.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Carmel high has had a boys and girls team for years now. So has PG, RLS, Salinas, aptos, Hollister, Palma and a few others locally.

Aptos and hollister aren't in Monterey county!!!!! Lol jk, but yea I didn't know that. In reality I just didn't like his post because it was pretty disingenuous. He wanted to craft a narrative of stupid suburban white parents pushing their kids towards other dangerous sports, while ignoring that suburban white kids are being pushed to Baseball and Soccer FAR more then lax.

Aptos and hollister aren't in Monterey county!!!!! Lol jk, but yea I didn't know that. In reality I just didn't like his post because it was pretty disingenuous. He wanted to craft a narrative of stupid suburban white parents pushing their kids towards other dangerous sports, while ignoring that suburban white kids are being pushed to Baseball and Soccer FAR more then lax.
Well as an alumn and fan of a suburban "white" kids school CHS has had no problems with numbers in many years. Football is doing well numbers wise from the youth program up thru high school. So his theory does not ring true here.

Well as an alumn and fan of a suburban "white" kids school CHS has had no problems with numbers in many years. Football is doing well numbers wise from the youth program up thru high school. So his theory does not ring true here.

Yea my buddy is a coach in the MTAL so I have seen a few Carmel games the last several years. Definitely no roster size issues there! It's nice to see Carmel and PG get so many kids out there considering how small the schools are.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Yea my buddy is a coach in the MTAL so I have seen a few Carmel games the last several years. Definitely no roster size issues there! It's nice to see Carmel and PG get so many kids out there considering how small the schools are.
I hear that!! I have nephews in the youth league and one on varsity this year. Its crazy how many kids turnout. And the community support they get at the games. Awesome stuff no doubt.

The "narrative" is that parents are pushing their kids away from football. Lacrosse and rubgy are big beneficiaries.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johntemplon/lacrosse-fastest-growing-sport?utm_term=.uy6j9pG2m#.vkd04jOzP

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sp...nues-americas-fastest-growing-sport/18830397/

I would agree that, in some communities, soccer and baseball are getting the kids too.

Carmel's numbers are good not great, PG is way down. The local youth team is also way down. They are not even able to field a Jr Pee Wee team (6-8 year old), while the Pee Wee (9-11) and Midgets (12-14) are sitting at 16 and 12 players each.

As mentioned multiple times in this thread, not a good sign for any high school program when schools like Novato have to consider dropping football or in the case of Mission completely disbanding the team.

Carmel's numbers are good not great, PG is way down. The local youth team is also way down. They are not even able to field a Jr Pee Wee team (6-8 year old), while the Pee Wee (9-11) and Midgets (12-14) are sitting at 16 and 12 players each.

As mentioned multiple times in this thread, not a good sign for any high school program when schools like Novato have to consider dropping football or in the case of Mission completely disbanding the team.

Exactly. All you need to do is attend your community's field scheduling meeting with representatives from these other sports. The soccer, rugby and lacrosse guys are grabbing all the fields...even outside their regular seasons. They are actively encouraging year around participation and specialization. Football is just rolling over.....football has to fight back with flag leagues for the younger kids, safe tackling and offseason camp experiences and skill learning camps. Its really on the youth football organizations in each community to ramp up efforts to keep football in the hearts and minds of the kids.

Baseball and soccer are the biggest beneficiaries. Of course Rugby and lacrosse are going to be fast growing sports; its easier to see huge percentage gains when the sports have lower participation numbers to begin with.

The "narrative" is that parents are pushing their kids away from football. Lacrosse and rubgy are big beneficiaries.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johntemplon/lacrosse-fastest-growing-sport?utm_term=.uy6j9pG2m#.vkd04jOzP

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/sp...nues-americas-fastest-growing-sport/18830397/

I would agree that, in some communities, soccer and baseball are getting the kids too.

I was saying the numbers of PG are impressive for the size of the school; it's the smallest public school in CCS right? My experience suiting up 16 kids for several games was at a school with almost 3000 students, so I find it impressive a school a fraction of the size is able to regularly field a quality team like PG does.

Reactions: RLS13
Exactly. All you need to do is attend your community's field scheduling meeting with representatives from these other sports. The soccer, rugby and lacrosse guys are grabbing all the fields...even outside their regular seasons. They are actively encouraging year around participation and specialization. Football is just rolling over.....football has to fight back with flag leagues for the younger kids, safe tackling and offseason camp experiences and skill learning camps. Its really on the youth football organizations in each community to ramp up efforts to keep football in the hearts and minds of the kids.
1. The popularity of NFL and College Football does not support the demise of football. 2. What football is doing to make the sport safer is well in advance of all other sports. 3. West coast lack of LAX knowledge fools parents in to thinking it's safer. Concussions, high speed collisions and injuries happen in LAX. In fact as a percentage of participation concussions are on the rise in LAX. Why? Heightened awareness, not increased occurrences (you can read the same for soccer.)
What's missing is the economic link. Lower school population due to less affordable housing. As far as specific programs sometimes you need to look inward to correct the problem. It can be anywhere from administrative leadership to coaching.

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
Does this have anything to do with young families leaving this surrounding area due to housing costs?

I know our two schools in town are at max capacity and have hundreds of kids signed up for nearly every sport. And quality too.

Thoughts?

Reactions: coachlittle
Does this have anything to do with young families leaving this surrounding area due to housing costs?

I know our two schools in town are at max capacity and have hundreds of kids signed up for nearly every sport. And quality too.

Thoughts?

As it concerns football, I am thinking the top athletes in the related high school programs generally prioritize football over the other sports. The high school football are highly successful in the communities and the football programs command attention almost all year in some shape or form.

Thoughts?
That's a great point down here it's the same way most sports have to cut due to high turn out numbers which is a good thing , because it brings the quality of player up as well as installs a good work ethic in kids that want to succeed, with the influx of new Bay Area people it's going to only get more competitive.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
As it concerns football, I am thinking the top athletes in the related high school programs generally prioritize football over the other sports. The high school football are highly successful in the communities and the football programs command attention almost all year in some shape or form.
Good points. I just keep hearing about enrollment numbers bring down, schools being dropped down in divisions, etc...seems to be coming from the Bay Area. I don't know much about it, but it seems to be a bit of a trend.

Thoughts?
Median home price in Novato $760k

Novato is considered the ghetto of Marin County as well. Go to areas like Ross, Fairfax, Mill Valley, and even San Rafael and that becomes 1M+.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Good points. I just keep hearing about enrollment numbers bring down, schools being dropped down in divisions, etc...seems to be coming from the Bay Area. I don't know much about it, but it seems to be a bit of a trend.
I think another point we are not looking at is tradition down here a lot of the families have been here for generations so being a baler on the same field your dad and uncles played on is a big motivator with the influx of new families in some areas the kids aren't ready to make the commitment a competitive program expects out of them. My son has had a total of maybe 4 weeks off since Jan of last year with early morning weight training 5 days a week to finally summer work outs, these boys sacrifice a lot and to be competitive I'm sure most programs are the same.

I think another point we are not looking at is tradition down here a lot of the families have been here for generations so being a baler on the same field your dad and uncles played on is a big motivator with the influx of new families in some areas the kids aren't ready to make the commitment a competitive program expects out of them. My son has had a total of maybe 4 weeks off since Jan of last year with early morning weight training 5 days a week to finally summer work outs, these boys sacrifice a lot and to be competitive I'm sure most programs are the same.
The good programs are going this route for sure. It has become a year round thing for all the best schools.

wow i never knew fall ball existed . I knew about the other 2 but i just goggled "fall ball in sac" and every league close by offers it . Do they really play baseball in rain or have i been sleeping under a rock???
Year round baseball is huge now and only getting bigger, similar to AAU basketball. You don't think those little league teams still playing in San Bernardino and very soon in Williamsport only play in the spring time do you! :)

Reactions: coachlittle
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT