ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating at the DLDS/Folsom

Califfbfan

Superstar
Jul 6, 2018
Attended last nights game, and some comments re. the officiating:

* Someone might help me on this; when two teams play from different sections, don't they bring in an officiating crew from a neutral section?

* I thought the game was very evenly officiated. The procedure penalty on the Ngata run was a good call, but one rarely seen.

* The fumble call on Folsom was correct by high school rules.

* Overall, I don't see the penalties as having been one sided either way.

* This game was too big to have "hometown calls' as some posters have suggested.

Attended last nights game, and some comments re. the officiating:

* Someone might help me on this; when two teams play from different sections, don't they bring in an officiating crew from a neutral section?

* I thought the game was very evenly officiated. The procedure penalty on the Ngata run was a good call, but one rarely seen.

* The fumble call on Folsom was correct by high school rules.

* Overall, I don't see the penalties as having been one sided either way.

* This game was too big to have "hometown calls' as some posters have suggested.

I think the nuetral ref situation only applies in regional playoff scenarios. Sounds like they had a very experienced crew though. Not sure why a knee being down before a fumble wouldn’t be down by contact, even by “high school rules”?

The non call on the fumble may not have affected the ultimate outcome, but it obviously helped preserve the shutout. Shoutout or not, the Spartan defense made a huge statement last night, as did the Bulldog D. Maybe both offenses were a little bit overhyped, as was everything else about this game over the past 6 months.

Great game though, and a fantastic way to kick off the season.

All in all, I agree that the game was well officiated from what I could tell at a macro level. I certainly wasn't on the field and couldn't see whether blatant holds, alignments, etc. were missed or not, but I didn't think the officials inserted themselves into the game as they sometimes seem to do.

There are calls/non-calls in every game played that can be scrutinized. The goal line play and illegal formation were obviously the 2 biggies in last night game. But it appears that the penalty on Joe Ngata was correctly called and the fumble at the goal line was a bang bang play anybody could have missed when calling it live.

Nobody's ever perfect. I thought the officials were good.

When 2 teams play from different sections during the regular season ( not playoffs) the host teams officials association will work the game.

officials are done by county/region where it is located

Officials in Concord are different from up in Folsom... they are even different in Oakland/Alameda county

Reactions: RidgeRider
officials are done by county/region where it is located

Officials in Concord are different from up in Folsom... they are even different in Oakland/Alameda county

Actually the officials are assigned by the section of the home team. Each section has an organization that provides officials. In the SJS, the officals are split north-south so that they can travel locally (a stockton-based official won't have to drive to Rio Linda).

http://cifsjs.org/sports/AssignersOfOfficials

Last edited:
The simple fact that there isn’t instant replay in high school football doesn’t mean that every call made is correct. Had they called that a TD after his knee was down, DLS supporters would have questioned it.

The simple fact that there isn’t instant replay in high school football doesn’t mean that every call made is correct. Had they called that a TD after his knee was down, DLS supporters would have questioned it.
Absolutely. It was obviously a botched call. There's no way to change it. admit it and move on. Not a big deal.

All in all, I agree that the game was well officiated from what I could tell at a macro level. I certainly wasn't on the field and couldn't see whether blatant holds, alignments, etc. were missed or not, but I didn't think the officials inserted themselves into the game as they sometimes seem to do.

There are calls/non-calls in every game played that can be scrutinized. The goal line play and illegal formation were obviously the 2 biggies in last night game. But it appears that the penalty on Joe Ngata was correctly called and the fumble at the goal line was a bang bang play anybody could have missed when calling it live.

Nobody's ever perfect. I thought the officials were good.

I had the opportunity to have a friendly discussion with an official who arrived real early before a game last season. Super nice guy, big football fan, had been officiating for many years. One of the things shared was he said penalties occur on nearly every play (should be no surprise to anyone on this board), if not every play.

Knowing when to call one is key. He also shared that each ref has their area of the field that they cover (again, no surprise) and sometimes they see penalties occur outside their area and their response varies based on the severity of the penalty and dynamics of the crew.....meaning should they throw a flag for an infraction outside their area or let the crew member in that area know what they saw to keep their eyes out. Ref's who throw flags for infractions consistently outside their area may not be the most popular guy on the crew.

They have a tough and necessary job and are prone to error, just like the rest of us but it should never be an excuse for a loss. That's on the losing team for putting themselves in the position to have a judgment call win or lose the game.

For the same handful of posters saying the saying thing- "excuses" as reasoning to troll.

Dont be dumb. This one play did not determine the outcome to the game. However it did change the complexion of the game. That is indisputable.

It was a missed call. Changed the game. Folsom lost. Move on.

No more need for the same people to be poking and prodding with the same indirect trolls. Some of you have dates with Folsom in the very near future. Believe me that will be very fun. I'd be much more focused on that!

Last edited:
However it did change the complexion of the game. That is indisputable.

Well, it certainly made the shut out a lot more possible. Folsom still may not have scored even from the half yard line, but the odds of scoring would have been monumentally higher. Same goes for the illegal formation penalty. If Joe Ngata lines up correctly, it's 1st and goal from inside the 1 and another high probability of scoring. That's why both plays were so impactful.

If Folsom had been able to take advantage and get DLS playing from behind -- different ball game considering the way they are built to play.

But now it's all shoulda, coulda, woulda. They'll get another shot next in 2019.

Reactions: cashisking18
[QUOTE="cashisking18, post: 204800, member: 8112"

It was a missed call. Changed the game. Folsom lost. Move on.

One of many plays that changed the COMPLEXION of the game.....but you're right. Folsom lost. DLS won. Time to "move on".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT