ADVERTISEMENT

Potentials for Nor Cal Open State Game Rep

Show me a game where a Trinity League team got up by 30 on someone, but then allowed them to score 20 to make the score closer.
Didn’t you just watch a Trinity League team give up 26 straight points after being up 35-0? Come on Cal teams let up when it’s outta reach.
DV is legit with 16 D1 guys on the team

Didn’t you just watch a Trinity League team give up 26 straight points after being up 35-0? Come on Cal teams let up when it’s outta reach.
DV is legit with 16 D1 guys on the team
SOC is the equivalent of Citrus Valley or Valencia. Those teams aren't scoring 26 on SJB.

What I don't agree with is using reputation as a criteria. If their results on the field this year do not demonstrate they are the best NorCal team, then their history is not relevant to me. At this point, what we know is that they lost to St. Francis.

Spot on.

I’ve always contended that every season is in it’s own vacuum. It’s own space. Teams are different. Players are different. Circumstances are different.

Case in point, DLS just lost to SF and history didn’t help the Spartans players that night. The likes of DJ Williams and MJD didn’t suit up for them.

DLS‘ long storied history is as irrelevant to this season as Folsom‘s past decade is to other teams around the SJS and NorCal.

The only applicable criteria that should ever be considered is what happens THIS season.

If the Pittsburgh Steelers tie the Cincinnati Bengals for the division crown, the Steelers rich history and 6 SB titles don’t carry any weight. Tiebreakers from the current season are the ONLY factors considered.

That’s the only logical and fair thing to do.

To me, anybody arguing differently clearly has a biased and/or flawed POV.

Spot on.

I’ve always contended that every season is in it’s own vacuum. It’s own space. Teams are different. Players are different. Circumstances are different.

Case in point, DLS just lost to SF and history didn’t help the Spartans players that night. The likes of DJ Williams and MJD didn’t suit up for them.

DLS‘ long storied history is as irrelevant to this season as Folsom‘s past decade is to other teams around the SJS and NorCal.

The only applicable criteria that should ever be considered is what happens THIS season.

If the Pittsburgh Steelers tie the Cincinnati Bengals for the division crown, the Steelers rich history and 6 SB titles don’t carry any weight. Tiebreakers from the current season are the ONLY factors considered.

Fully agree with both Cal 14 and ThunderRam on this point. In fact, the only bearing from year to year has nothing to do with reputation. Instead, you have coach experience that is transferred from year to year. And player experience from year to year has an impact. These factors are placed along side player talent to help predict CURRENT YEAR potential. We all know potential is not the same as real game outcomes. Only real game outcomes can and should dictate current year placement.

Spot on.

You are clearly biased and/or flawed in your POV. Trust me SF new who they were playing and their reputation. They just happened to be the first NorCal team in 30 years to overcome it. You can bet you ass teams have a different mindset when playing DLS then say San Ramon valley, Monterey trails, Jesuit, or yes even Folsom. I believe and I’ve heard many other say it also, in order to beat DLS you have to get past the fact you are playing DLS. Folsom has a similar reputation in their own little area. I’m am NOT a DLS fan. I am not biased. My POV may be flawed in your eyes but I’ve coached against DLS and trust me it’s different.

Fully agree with both Cal 14 and ThunderRam on this point. In fact, the only bearing from year to year has nothing to do with reputation. Instead, you have coach experience that is transferred from year to year. And player experience from year to year has an impact. These factors are placed along side player talent to help predict CURRENT YEAR potential. We all know potential is not the same as real game outcomes. Only real game outcomes can and should dictate current year placement.
I agree as well, but who's getting anything based on reputation? I'm assuming this is a reference to DeLaSalle, since they have the biggest rep in NorCal. They just lost a game and people fear their reputation will just magically clear a path for them to get to the Open? They play Folsom on 10/8 and if they lose there's no way they can make the Open, even if they blow through NCS like they usually do. They are going to have to earn it on the field by beating Folsom and then winning the rest of their games plus playoffs.

You are clearly biased and/or flawed in your POV. Trust me SF new who they were playing and their reputation. They just happened to be the first NorCal team in 30 years to overcome it. You can bet you ass teams have a different mindset when playing DLS then say San Ramon valley, Monterey trails, Jesuit, or yes even Folsom. I believe and I’ve heard many other say it also, in order to beat DLS you have to get past the fact you are playing DLS. Folsom has a similar reputation in their own little area. I’m am NOT a DLS fan. I am not biased. My POV may be flawed in your eyes but I’ve coached against DLS and trust me it’s different.
DLS can very well make it to the Open. Two of my scenarios above have them there. The problem is that they are no longer in control of their own destiny. The CIF selection rules include head-to-head and common opponent. The CCS teams currently (or potentially) own those. If they beat Folsom and the CCS teams take each other out, then I think it's going to be DLS. It's not uncommon for the WCAL winner to lose a league game.

What I don't agree with is using reputation as a criteria. If their results on the field this year do not demonstrate they are the best NorCal team, then their history is not relevant to me. At this point, what we know is that they lost to St. Francis.

DLS needs to hope they're still healthy when they play Folsom. These next three games are going to be extremely tough.
Just curious, but when was DLS reputation used as criteria?

I don’t believe it has. And their reputation shouldn’t matter when it comes the making the open. IMO if SF and DLS win out SF should be in the open. My comment was more about the fact that DLS’s reputation ment nothing when SF beat them. I’m just giving SF a little credit for overcoming that reputation. I believe DLS has earned every open bid they got but that It should have no bearing on this year’s open.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
Their POV and your POV seem different. You are speaking of on-the-field experience of battling reputation as one of the many components and mindsets that go into a game. Cal 14 and ThunderRam are speaking of the selection process for rankings and CIF bowl placements.

Reactions: Cal 14

It wasn't, but this is in response to:

It's interesting that so many seem to be dismissing DLS from ending up in the open. Not saying it will happen, but they ain't going anywhere. If they beat Folsom and run the table the rest of the way, why can't they?? They've got far too much playoff experience to write them off.
You suggested, in isolation, that DLS should be considered if they win out. You reasoned that they have too much playoff experience (i.e., reputation) to be written off.

In isolation, DLS cannot make it to the Open. They need St. Francis and potentially other CCS teams to falter.

You suggested, in isolation, that DLS should be considered if they win out. You reasoned that they have too much playoff experience (i.e., reputation) to be written off.

In isolation, DLS cannot make it to the Open. They need St. Francis and potentially other CCS teams to falter.
Not exactly, my reasoning was that despite the loss to St Francis, they still could make the Open, that DLS had enough playoff experience over the years that they could draw on to get them through the schedule they still had to navigate. Didn't say they Deserved a path to the Open. The posts following the loss to SF( a lot of them anyway) inferred DLS had no chance to make the Open because of that loss.But everything is going to be determined on the field anyway, 10/8 vs Folsom and through the playoffs. Guess I'm to blame for not making the intention of my post clear.

Hopefully by the committee it hasn’t. But over the over the 12 years I’ve been here many members have suggested that DLS should get in over <team x> because of their history. There was talk that those on the selection committee could/would be influenced for the same reason.

For example, many felt that’s why DLS got the nod over Grant Union in 2006. Then in 2008 many felt the Pacers got the nod over DLS partially due to the controversy of 2006.

Additionally it seems fairly apparent that reputation earned 2-loss St. Mary’s the nod over undefeated Casa Roble in 2008. In 2009, 2-loss DLS was awarded the Open game over undefeated Rocklin who had beaten highly Nationally ranked Grant Union. There are many other examples that can be cited, I’m sure.

The notion that reputation and history plays a factor goes beyond DLS. As Folsom could easily benefit from such preference over any non-DLS team due to their on field success over the past 11 years.

We’re simply saying that it is wrong to consider factors that aren’t directly related to the current season. It isn’t written into the criteria, but it surely happens.

Last edited:
Hopefully by the committee it hasn’t. But over the over the 12 years I’ve been here many members have suggested that DLS should get in over <team x> because of their history. There was talk that those on the selection committee could/would be influenced for the same reason.

For example, many felt that’s why DLS got the nod over Grant Union in 2006. Then in 2008 many felt the Pacers got the nod over DLS partially due to the controversy of 2006.

Additionally it seems fairly apparent that reputation earned 2-loss St. Mary’s the nod over undefeated Casa Roble in 2008. In 2009, 2-loss DLS was awarded the Open game over undefeated Rocklin who had beaten highly Nationally ranked Grant Union. There are many other examples that can be cited, I’m sure.

The notion that reputation and history plays a factor goes beyond DLS. As Folsom could easily benefit from such preference over any non-DLS team due to their on field success over the past 11 years.

We’re simply saying that it is wrong to consider factors that aren’t directly related to the current season. It isn’t written into the criteria, but it surely happens.
2009 Nevada Union was a far superior team THAT YEAR, than Bellarmine, but Bellarmine went bowling...just another example.

I had no idea so many teams were interested in taking the mantle for the Open. I mean we couldn't even get anyone to play DLS for the NorCal Open slot. SJB and MD battle it out for the Open and they play each other during the regular season. Wouldn't DLS and SF play each other for the NorCal Open if they both won out?

Reactions: Truthhertz
I had no idea so many teams were interested in taking the mantle for the Open. I mean we couldn't even get anyone to play DLS for the NorCal Open slot. SJB and MD battle it out for the Open and they play each other during the regular season. Wouldn't DLS and SF play each other for the NorCal Open if they both won out?
No they would not play. Because of the “Folsom Rule” SF would get the open and DLS would play for D1.

Not exactly, my reasoning was that despite the loss to St Francis, they still could make the Open, that DLS had enough playoff experience over the years that they could draw on to get them through the schedule they still had to navigate. Didn't say they Deserved a path to the Open. The posts following the loss to SF( a lot of them anyway) inferred DLS had no chance to make the Open because of that loss.But everything is going to be determined on the field anyway, 10/8 vs Folsom and through the playoffs. Guess I'm to blame for not making the intention of my post clear.
Go back and look at my scenarios. I illustrate how DLS gets to the Open and how they don't.

What is the "Folsom rule"?
I thought you had been around enough on this board to understand this rule. Basically, in summary, it was SJS Section /Folsom coach (Richardson) drive to advocate the CIF to change the bowl allocations. It is documented that the Folsom coaches wanted to have the CIF select one team to go directly to the State Bowl for the Open division and all other divisions (D-1A through D7AA) to be routed to a regional bowl playoff system. The CIF made the ruling but it was called the Folsom rule because it was primarily the Folsom head coach Richardson advocating for this change. It was fairly well documented that the drive was motivated to help Folsom avoid DLS for regional Open division and instead to be paired with some team other than DLS in the regional bowl games.

PS Edited to correct Folsom Coach Richardson's name.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
You Should Probably take a Step Back with the Suicide Watch Nonsense…. There may actually be people reading this board that have been affected by this…..

I am all for the Banter but you need to Grow up…. When all you can come up with is making fun of Suicide and “Short Bus” making fun of people with disabilities it is just sad…. Have a little class….

I am sure @Streak One would appreciate it on his message board….
Agree...maturity is needed

You Should Probably take a Step Back with the Suicide Watch Nonsense…. There may actually be people reading this board that have been affected by this…..

I am all for the Banter but you need to Grow up…. When all you can come up with is making fun of Suicide and “Short Bus” making fun of people with disabilities it is just sad…. Have a little class….

I am sure @Streak One would appreciate it on his message board….
Unfortunately Streak likes to sit on his hands and let Pasty run free ( probably sent him a DM telling him to be nice like he did to me) I’m all for harmless banter and bullshitting but when you start threads for no other reason to be mean asshole it time to get rid of that disease. Yes Streak it needs to be discussed out in the open.

This is one of the most disingenuous posts on here and this is why fake news gets out on here.

People like you cry when a family conducts a full family bona-fide move, and proved that to the CIF, while 3 of their kids attended the school within a 5 mile boundary.

What you conveniently leave out on purpose is there is NO boundary for MD or a Bosco. To transfer all you have to prove is A MOVE. There is no requirement to live anywhere close to the school. Those schools literally have kids that attend for football season and go "home." Sometimes 50 plus miles away. Can you imagine the moaning and groaning if ANY kid did this up north!? 🤡 show material.

The point is this- the rules are different. While Folsom kids all live within a school boundary set out by the district, maybe 5 of out 70 kids at MD or Bosco would meet that same requirement.

To reference one family that moved to Folsom from Reno for all 3 kids to attend school and play sports there, in comparison to what MD and Bosco are doing, is disingenuous and low.....even for a poster like you looking to stir up a fake narrative like this.

Another thing you fail to mention in order to support your superiority agenda is insinuating there is more people and that equals more talent in the South. Apparently no one ever taught you how to research or explain context. Before the transfer extravaganza was started, NorCal teams were beating teams from the South regularly. DLS owned those teams down there. If MD and Bosco didn't didn't access to those athletes on a separate set of rules, they would simply be another good program regularly competing for a state crown. They would get beat regularly by teams like Folsom and DLS.

At least understand the rules before you post next time. I'm tired of having to educate you.
I would be interested in that info too as I too am tired of folks saying Folsom has all these transfers when those kids have actually lived in Folsom...and it has only been a few...until MD and SJB started getting all these recruits coming in from all over (some there only for the football season) they would lose to DLS in the open

side note: I believe a lot of these kids go to MD or SJB (even if second string) because of scholarship opportunities and college recruiting...but think of the universities that come calling now at Folsom (Clemson, Alabama, OHS, Oregon, etc.) or at DLS...these same second stringers at MD or SJB could start at Folsom or DLS and probably actually help level the playing field and get probably even more recognition since they would start but yet they don’t choose Folsom or DLS...makes me wonder if there are other reasons they end up at MD or SJB

While I do think that the Central Section leaders should be watching out for the DLS-Folsom score with interest, I don't think it can be ignored that Central just barely got by Stockton Edison 17-10.

In reference to a lot in this thread:

1. St. Francis is the only team that, according to the bowl rules, should be listed #1 for the bowl games (as I've stated elsewhere, the normal rankings shouldn't have to follow bowl rankings).

2. DLS's loss does not extrapolate to anyone else. Whether a 1-loss DLS leapfrogs the Lancers should they fail to win out depends on to whom they fail and whether that team has any additional losses. DLS is still very much in the running for the Open Division.

3. If Folsom were to beat DLS, their overall season will be compared to St. Francis, should the Lancers go unbeaten the rest of the way. Recent history, however, has shown a preference for SJS teams over those from the CCS by the CIF.

4. No, it would not be the worst thing for NorCal if the Bulldogs are selected for the Open opposite Mater Dei. While I don't see them beating the Monarchs, I also don't see them losing by 60... sorry, but that's just really ill-informed and fueled by nothing but emotion and animus. In reality, this would be one of the most anticipated games in recent memory.

5. Both DLS and Folsom are in tough positions at this point. If SF wins out, the loser of this game may fall all the way to D-IA, potentially moving the CS D-I winner into the D-IAA game against either a Folsom or SF. I say this because I don't think the CIF will want to set up any rematches.

6. A lot of crazy things can happen just within the WCAL, but it does appear that Folsom may only get one real challenge in Rocklin. Granite Bay and Del Oro seem be to be good teams, but their results so far do not indicate they are real threats to the Bulldogs in any way.

My very early scenarios:

A. DLS beats Folsom, SF wins out (or takes only 1 loss) - SF (Open), DLS vs CS D-I (D-IAA), Folsom vs ??? (D-IA)

B. Folsom beats DLS and wins out, SF wins out - Folsom (Open), SF vs CS D-I (D-IAA), DLS vs. ??? (D-IA)

C. DLS beats Folsom, Serra/Bellarmine wins out - Serra/Bellarmine (Open), DLS vs CS D-I (D-IAA), Folsom vs ??? (D-IA)

D. Folsom beats DLS and wins out, Serra/Bellarmine wins out - Folsom (Open), Serra/Bellarmine vs CS D-I (D-IAA), DLS vs ??? (D-IA)

E. DLS beats Folsom, Serra/Bellarmine win CCS, but with 1 loss - DLS (Open), Serra/Bellarmine vs Folsom (D-IAA), CS D-I vs ??? (D-IA)

F. Folsom beats DLS and takes 1 loss, SF/Serra/Bellarmine win CCS with no more than 1 loss - Folsom (Open), CCS winner vs CS D-I (D-IAA), DLS vs ??? (D-IA)

G. DLS beats Folsom, CCS winner has two losses - DLS (Open), Folsom vs CS D-I (D-IAA), CCS winner vs ??? (D-IA)

H. Folsom beats DLS and has no more than 1 loss, CCS winner has two losses - Folsom (Open), DLS vs CS D-I (D-IAA), CCS winner vs ??? (D-IA)

Pittsburg is a strong favorite to win NCS D-I (with DLS winning DLS D-Open) and could potentially fill in some of the ??? positions, provided it's not against Folsom or DLS.

McClymonds is also waiting in the wings if they are able to beat Pittsburg on 10/1. They could also be the ??? team.

Winner of SJS D-II could also be a factor for the ??? position. Central Catholic has huge game against Bellarmine this week, Rocklin's or Jesuit's only loss could be against Folsom.
Well put together post

Reactions: Cal 14
I would be interested in that info too as I too am tired of folks saying Folsom has all these transfers when those kids have actually lived in Folsom...and it has only been a few...until MD and SJB started getting all these recruits coming in from all over (some there only for the football season) they would lose to DLS in the open

side note: I believe a lot of these kids go to MD or SJB (even if second string) because of scholarship opportunities and college recruiting...but think of the universities that come calling now at Folsom (Clemson, Alabama, OHS, Oregon, etc.) or at DLS...these same second stringers at MD or SJB could start at Folsom or DLS and probably actually help level the playing field and get probably even more recognition since they would start but yet they don’t choose Folsom or DLS...makes me wonder if there are other reasons they end up at MD or SJB
I am a facts guy. I went to see how many transfers. Folsom 19. I compared it to a school I know Oakdale 2. I am not making any point. Other than the facts!

Kind of sounds like the bcs committee lol

I thought you had been around enough on this board to understand this rule. Basically, in summary, it was SJS Section /Folsom coach (Christianson) drive to advocate the CIF to change the bowl allocations. It is documented that the Folsom coaches wanted to have the CIF select one team to go directly to the State Bowl for the Open division and all other divisions (D-1A through D7AA) to be routed to a regional bowl playoff system. The CIF made the ruling but it was called the Folsom rule because it was primarily the Folsom head coach Christianson advocating for this change. It was fairly well documented that the drive was motivated to help Folsom avoid DLS for regional Open division and instead to be paired with some team other than DLS in the regional bowl games.
Correct, although the Folsom coach was Kris Richardson (now at Sac St.) rather than Christianson.

2009 Nevada Union was a far superior team THAT YEAR, than Bellarmine, but Bellarmine went bowling...just another example.

That's another great example.

NU was the SJS D1 champ whose only loss was to the SJS D-2 champ Rocklin by 5 points.

Meanwhile the Bells had 1 loss and 1 tie and the loss was by 24 to St. Mary's who was barely beaten by Del Oro in the section quarterfinals who in turn lost to Rocklin twice in 2 very close games.

I've said many times that 2009 D2 was the deepest, toughest playoff field I've ever seen in the SJS. I've asserted that Rocklin, Grant Union, St. Mary's, Folsom, and Del Oro were ALL good enough to win that season. I previously never mentioned Nevada Union among that group, but that was an oversight.

While I still believe the Pacers had the best team that season, all of those teams were dangerous and capable of winning it all.

An argument can be made that 2009 was St. Mary's best ever or at least this millennium. They were better than other Rams teams that became more accomplished because they won section and/or advanced to the Regional and/or State games. They just played in a much more difficult meat grinder playoff bracket.

Same goes for 2009 Folsom, who won the very next season with essentially the same team. Del Oro that season was about as physically punishing and talented as they've ever been. Just ask Folsom.

And 2009 was easily Rocklin's best team ever. Same could be true of Nevada Union who had some really good ones before it.

NU getting bypassed for Bellarmine was a slight given the Bells blowout loss to St. Mary's and the fact that they also had a tie on record.

It's too bad the Regionals didn't exist yet because that problem would have been played out on the field.

Last edited:
That's another great example.

NU was the SJS D1 champ whose only loss was to the SJS D-2 champ Rocklin by 5 points.

Meanwhile the Bells had 1 loss and 1 tie and the loss was by 24 to St. Mary's who was barely beaten by Del Oro in the section quarterfinals who in turn lost to Rocklin twice in 2 very close games.

I've said many times that 2009 D2 was the deepest, toughest playoff field I've ever seen in the SJS. I've asserted that Rocklin, Grant Union, St. Mary's, Folsom, and Del Oro were ALL good enough to win that season. I previously never mentioned Nevada Union among that group, but that was an oversight.

While I still believe the Pacers had the best team that season, all of those teams were dangerous and capable of winning it all.

An argument can be made that 2009 was St. Mary's best ever or at least this millennium. They were better than other Rams teams that became more accomplished because they won section and/or advanced to the Regional and/or State games. They just played in a much more difficult meat grinder playoff bracket.

Same goes for 2009 Folsom, who won the very next season with essentially the same team. Del Oro that season was about as physically punishing and talented as they've ever been. Just ask Folsom.

And 2009 was easily Rocklin's best team ever. Same could be true of Nevada Union who had some really good ones before it.

NU getting bypassed for Bellarmine was a slight given the Bells blowout loss to St. Mary's and the fact that they also had a tie on record.

It's too bad the Regionals didn't exist yet because that problem would have been played out on the field.
Agreed. But the 2008 Bellarmine team was their best team in recent memory. They beat Saint Mary’s that year.Yet they had to sit at home. Thank goodness for the regional games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
Correct, although the Folsom coach was Kris Richardson (now at Sac St.) rather than Christianson.
Indeed!!! Bone-headed mistake, I should have looked up his name instead of just assuming I remembered his name correctly. I will go back to edit that post.

Reactions: observer22
2009 was when they " selected " Bowl game teams. Now you get a chance to play in. The year before Oakdale 1 loss. Didn't go. But Merzon being himself. Invited the selected team to the Corral. The play in is still in a real sense selected. In my opinion!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT