13) HERITAGE
14) SAC HIGH
15) VANDEN
16) LOGAN
17) BROOKSIDE
18) CAMPO
19) VALLEY CHRISTIAN
20) WEST CAMPUS

McClatchy name 2 teams in the top 20 have they beat. So what there is a players that plays for Cal Stars and Oakland Soldiers. They still have to be coached and which one is the coach the one on paper or the that coaches at college level. I taught that was and NCAA violation.

MC name 2 teams they beat in the top 20 on this list, NCG-Ranks, or Norcalprep ranking.

Just don't make sense !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Paytc
I guess its rank Brookside low and get the fire from Respect. Just one man's opinion, something I have the freedom of doing (for now).

1) Mitty
2) Carondelet
3) Pinewood
4) BOD
5)Eastside Prep beat Lincoln
6) MM
7) LINCOLN BEAT SMS
8) SMS LOST TO LINCOLN
9) SALESIAN LOST SMS
10) CN lost SMS and won but point difference SMS wins
11) SHC
12) MA
13) HERITAGE
14) SAC HIGH
15) VANDEN
16) LOGAN
17) BROOKSIDE
18) CAMPO
19) VALLEY CHRISTIAN
20) WEST CAMPUS

McClatchy name 2 teams in the top 20 have they beat. So what there is a players that plays for Cal Stars and Oakland Soldiers. They still have to be coached and which one is the coach the one on paper or the that coaches at college level. I taught that was and NCAA violation.

MC name 2 teams they beat in the top 20 on this list, NCG-Ranks, or Norcalprep ranking.

What is the name of the coach that coaches at the college level, that you are making the allegation against? Making allegations of an NCAA violation is a serious thing.

Cptmycpa

He is the trainer at American River JC because I know some young ladies that go there. They told he is hands on there like an assistant!!!!!

I dont know the rules of CCCAA but I dont think they are governed by the NCAA so maybe its different? I have no idea.. just saying

1) Mitty
2) Carondelet
3) Pinewood
4) BOD
5)Eastside Prep beat Lincoln
6) MM
7) LINCOLN BEAT SMS
8) SMS LOST TO LINCOLN
9) SALESIAN LOST SMS
10) CN lost SMS and won but point difference SMS wins
11) SHC
12) MA
13) HERITAGE
14) SAC HIGH
15) VANDEN
16) LOGAN
17) BROOKSIDE
18) CAMPO
19) VALLEY CHRISTIAN
20) WEST CAMPUS

Respect:
If your rankings stay the same at the end of the regular season, it looks like from the Sac-Joaquin section, Lincoln of Stockton could be the Open division representative. That's a good team that doesn't get enough respect because they are overshadowed by St. Mary's and Brookside Christian.

If not mistaken, I believe McClatchy did beat Sac High, 49-46 on December 30 at the West Coast Jamboree, and McClatchy beat West Campus on December 3. Thus, McClatchy did beat two of your Top 20 teams on your list.

Your #16, James Logan did beat Brookside Christian on 12/28, but Logan also lost to Modesto Christian on 1/28 (a month later). McClatchy beat Modesto Christian on 1/16.

Your #19, Valley Christian of San Jose is 11-7 and doesn't have a win against any of your Top 20 teams, unless they beat Sacred Heart Cathedral tonight, 1/31. But after 3 quarters its SHC 51, VC 36.

Respect:
If your rankings stay the same at the end of the regular season, it looks like from the Sac-Joaquin section, Lincoln of Stockton could be the Open division representative. That's a good team that doesn't get enough respect because they are overshadowed by St. Mary's and Brookside Christian.

If not mistaken, I believe McClatchy did beat Sac High, 49-46 on December 30 at the West Coast Jamboree, and McClatchy beat West Campus on December 3. Thus, McClatchy did beat two of your Top 20 teams on your list.

Your #16, James Logan did beat Brookside Christian on 12/28, but Logan also lost to Modesto Christian on 1/28 (a month later). McClatchy beat Modesto Christian on 1/16.

Your #19, Valley Christian of San Jose is 11-7 and doesn't have a win against any of your Top 20 teams, unless they beat Sacred Heart Cathedral tonight, 1/31. But after 3 quarters its SHC 51, VC 36.

Guys, just because a team beats certain teams doesn't mean they're open bound. Lincoln could run the table and still elect to not go in the open divison. I know for NCS they ask you if you would opt to go up if selected...there's a check yes and no box. For a team like Lincoln that has been good, but could get to the state finals if they stayed in DI, why would they opt up? That make NO sense. Now if they show a history of winning DI then yes, they should be open bound regardless of if they want to or not. Teams with history have a better shot than those that are on the rise. Just my opinon.

Valley Christian lost a close game to SHC tonight, and their other CA losses are to topNorCal 20 teams, and to Clovis West. They've played a much tougher schedule than most of the top 20 teams, which accounts for their higher number of losses. So while that may not help their ranking, it will definitely help them in the post season.

Note also that teams must meet criteria to qualify for the Open -- and Folsom, for example, does not. The CIF post:

The following criteria will be utilized to select the teams for the Open Division for the CIF State Basketball Tournament. A school needs to only satisfy one of the criteria below to be considered:

A school must have won two consecutive section basketball championships (current year and previous year); or a school must have qualified for the regional championships for three of the past four years. (including current year)

A school qualifies for the second straight year after competing in the state or regional final the previous year.

A school was ranked in the Top Ten of Cal Hi Basketball, Cal Preps and/or MaxPreps Rankings (early March) the past two years (current year and or previous year).
A school qualifying for their regional playoffs may request to be placed in the open division.

And then there's this:

Evaluation Tool: A school's strength of schedule will be used to evaluate the strength of the program. (i.e., regional or national type of schedule).

Yup....this is what's confusing to me:

"A school qualifies for the second straight year after competing in the state or regional final the previous year."

So if I qualify for Norcals or go to the state finals in DV, then I potentially could be eligible for the open division the following year? DV is MUCH different that D1, give alone the open division.

So for the basketball junkies out there...which schools right now, given this criteria would qualify for the open division.

Last edited:
Yup....this is what's confusing to me:

"A school qualifies for the second straight year after competing in the state or regional final the previous year."

So if I quality for Norcals or go to the state finals in DV, then I potentially could be eligible for the open division the following year?

So for the basketball junkies out there...which schools right now, given this criteria would qualify for the open division.

let me give it a try...

NCS
CLET
MM
BOD
SALESIAN
CN
ST JOES (D5 norcal finalist)
SMB (3 of last 4 yrs in regionals)
CAMPO (3 of last 4 regionals)

CCS
MITTY
SHC
PW
ESP
MENLO (D4 norcal finalist)
SI (3 of last 4 yrs in regionals)

SJS
SMS
BC
McClatchy (3 of last 4yrs in regionals?)
SAC (3 of last 4 yrs in regional)
VANDEN (3 of last 4 yrs in reginals)
MC (3 of last 4 yrs in regionals)
OAKRIDGE (3 of last 4 yrs in regional)
WEST CAMPUS (3 of the last 4yrs regional)
INDERKUM (D3 norcal finalist)
ELK GROVE (D2 state runner up)
ST FRANCIS (D1 state runner up)

that's off the top of my head....Im sure Im missing a few.

Last edited:
let me give it a try...

NCS
CLET
MM
BOD
SALESIAN
CN
ST JOES (D5 norcal finalist)
SMB (3 of last 4 yrs in regionals)
CAMPO (3 of last 4 regionals)

CCS
MITTY
SHC
PW
ESP
MENLO (D4 norcal finalist)
SI (3 of last 4 yrs in regionals)

SJS
SMS
BC
McClatchy (3 of last 4yrs in regionals?)
SAC (3 of last 4 yrs in regional)
VANDEN (3 of last 4 yrs in reginals)
MC (3 of last 4 yrs in regionals)
OAKRIDGE (3 of last 4 yrs in regional)
WEST CAMPUS (3 of the last 4yrs regional)
INDERKUM (D3 norcal finalist)
ELK GROVE (D2 state runner up)
ST FRANCIS (D1 state runner up)

that's off the top of my head....Im sure Im missing a few.
Base on this list here are your candidates for open
SMS
MCCLATCHY
VANDEN
SAC
WEST CAMPUS
ELK GROVE

MITTY
SHC
PINEWOOD

CLET
MM
BOD
SALESIAN
CN
CAMPO

15 TEAMS FOR 8 SPOTS. In my open playoff I would take top two from each section

Mitty
Pinewood
Bod
Clet
Sms
Vanden

And two wild cards. And the four losers would path back to the D1 playoffs in the second round. I would have a 16 team bracket in d1 with the top four seeds receiving byes, those byes would be the open first round losers. I would also play the open final four with a two game guarantee, actually play the 3rd/4th place game. Top four teams in Nor Cal would get an exclusive open banner in the gym like none other that would clearly identify the school with being elite. I would likely name change the division state championships to division championships.

I figure if Paytc can do his own rankings I can do my own open format.

Last edited:
Teams that been in the open the pass

1) SMS 4 years Open
2) MM 4 years Open
3) SALESIAN 3 years Open
4) SMB 3 years Open
5) Carondelet 3 years open
6) Sac High 2 years open
7) BROOKSIDE 2 years oopen
8) Mitty 2 years open
9) BOD 2 years open
10) Mitty 2 years open
11) Pinewood 2 years open
12) SI 2 years open
13) MC 1 year open
14) Pinewood 1year ooen

Thats the history of the open !!! Anyone with history wins their division or runnup has a chance to place in the Open.

Last 2 years all Division State winners and runner ups have a chance too. The only other way for a team to qualify for the open is to win 3 consecutive section championships.

Pinewood has produced two of the most impressive games by an underdog (lower seeded) in the Open era. in 2015, as a 7 seed, they took 2 seed MM to overtime. in 2016, of course, they upended the consensus #1 in the nation.

Given how the two teams have progressed into the latter part of the season, I would really like to see a Pinewood vs Mitty CCS final. Their final last year was actually a really good game. I think a Sue vs Doc makes for good coaching matchup.

Teams that been in the open the pass

1) SMS 4 years Open
2) MM 4 years Open
3) SALESIAN 3 years Open
4) SMB 3 years Open
5) Carondelet 3 years open
6) Sac High 2 years open
7) BROOKSIDE 2 years oopen
8) Mitty 2 years open
9) BOD 2 years open
10) Mitty 2 years open
11) Pinewood 2 years open
12) SI 2 years open
13) MC 1 year open
14) Pinewood 1year ooen

Thats the history of the open !!! Anyone with history wins their division or runnup has a chance to place in the Open.

Last 2 years all Division State winners and runner ups have a chance too. The only other way for a team to qualify for the open is to win 3 consecutive section championships.
Respect - You are once again talking out of the wrong opening. Three section titles has no bearing, although the last two would be a qualification.

From the CIF website

The following criteria will be utilized to select the teams for the Open Division for the CIF State Basketball Tournament. A school needs to only satisfy one of the criteria below to be considered:

A school must have won two consecutive section basketball championships (current year and previous year); or a school must have qualified for the regional championships for three of the past four years. (including current year)

A school qualifies for the second straight year after competing in the state or regional final the previous year.

A school was ranked in the Top Ten of Cal Hi Basketball, Cal Preps and/or MaxPreps Rankings (early March) the past two years (current year and or previous year).
A school qualifying for their regional playoffs may request to be placed in the open division.

And then there's this:

Evaluation Tool: A school's strength of schedule will be used to evaluate the strength of the program. (i.e., regional or national type of schedule).

Pinewood has produced two of the most impressive games by an underdog (lower seeded) in the Open era. in 2015, as a 7 seed, they took 2 seed MM to overtime. in 2016, of course, they upended the consensus #1 in the nation.
In 2014 both Salesian and Miramonte advanced to the open finals with Salesian winning at SI and then at St. Mary's Berkeley. Miramonte had an equally tough road with beating St. Mary's Stockton at St. Mary's and then Carondelet at Carondelet.

So there is a chance based on history that someone could upset Mitty but again those two teams had players like Mariya Moore and Sabrina Ionescu among others. I am not certain that talent will be laying in wait in the bottom half of the open seeding.

In 2014 both Salesian and Miramonte advanced to the open finals with Salesian winning at SI and then at St. Mary's Berkeley. Miramonte had an equally tough road with beating St. Mary's Stockton at St. Mary's and then Carondelet at Carondelet.

So there is a chance based on history that someone could upset Mitty but again those two teams had players like Mariya Moore and Sabrina Ionescu among others. I am not certain that talent will be laying in wait in the bottom half of the open seeding.

Good points. But let's start off with getting a few misconceptions straight.

First off there is a quite a difference between good and great.

To my knowledge, there is not a great player or a great team in high school girls basketball IMO . There are a few levels that separate the good and better teams/players out there. Again that is in my opinion. Based on my standards and my perception.

Mitty and Clovis West, are two good teams with quite a few good players (with the potential to be great) playing at a level or two higher than other good teams like say a Carondelet. What separates them is not just the personnel but their standards. Their attention to detail and the fact that they don't accept or overlook any and everything. Just as players can get better, coaches can get better. The best coaches work to improve their coaching knowledge and ability. They are not going to continue to just stay the same. They will not be satisfied win or lose with just doing the same things (that aren't working and aren't acceptable over and over again). And that is why they continue to improve. They set the highest standards for themselves and their team.They then take a more critical look at their team. And changes are not talked about but implemented instead. Standards can be increased. And "everyone" has room to improve.

The first and most important rule in my "Win Anyway" philosophy is don't beat yourself. If your focus is on you and your improvement, your gonna get from point A to Point B much faster. So there is no need to put the focus on beating someone else.

Some teams should be given an award in beating themselves as they do it so well it should be recognized.

Based on what I saw last night and continue to see(unless CW is placed in the North) Mitty is clearly coasting to and winning the Norcal championship. Both Carondelet and Salesian, two of the top teams in Norcal, and everyone else, look to be very long shots at upsetting Mitty unless they make some changes in their approach. Especially Carondelet. I can't speak on Salesian and others. I haven't seen them or their potential as much to have the best grasp on their habits or potential. But I have seen Carondelet. I've already talked about Carondelet's need to improve its half court offense and ball movement.

Edit......... because some want to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Carondelet's coach has been working at teaching all players how to as he puts it "row the boat in the same direction". So his expectations are pretty clear. I agree with him on the need for team unity.

Why did Mitty get better and become a top team?

Mitty and Sue Phillips did a superb job recognizing the need to make a few adjustments in the positions and roles players played instead of staying the same. That again (coaching) was the big difference maker. Sure Mitty would have been fine with the starters they had and the player(s) they had playing point guard and other positions. They were winning the way it was, but she set higher goals, and needed to change to get better. Sue recognized the upgrade the team would have by doing what was in the best interest of the "team" so she made the switch based on skill, team need, and personnel. That made them elevate a level or two from where they were. Before that minor adjustment( with the same personnel) they were a good team about on the Carondelet level. But she took the "same roster" and did what was best for the team and that made all the difference. She made a better team out of the same roster. That again is good coaching and it can't be down played. It started with putting in place higher standards. Then setting higher goals. Then implementing the changes not talking about them.

If Carondelet wants to move their play up a level or two it won't be by ignoring where they are weak and just assuming it will fix itself because guess what.... it won't. If they however are willing to take a critical look at themselves and not accept anything less than the best from and for themselves, they can and will move to the next level. They have the roster to easily fix their weaknesses. But the standards have to match the level of play you desire. I think the coach has been doing a good job and so has the team. But they haven't won state or the Nike TOC, so they can't be satisfied. To get to the next level they must both continue to get better. To get better "change" has to take place. Just food for thought coming from my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkross22
Good points. But let's start off with getting a few misconceptions straight.

First off there is a quite a difference between good and great.

To my knowledge, there is not a great player or a great team in high school girls basketball IMO . There are a few levels that separate the good and better teams/players out there. Again that is in my opinion. Based on my standards and perception.

Mitty and Clovis West, are two good teams with quite a few good players (with the potential to be great) playing at a level or two higher than other good teams like say a Carondelet. What separates them is not just the personnel but their coaching. Their attention to detail and the fact that they don't accept or overlook any and everything. Just as players can get better, coaches can get better. The best coaches work to improve themselves as coaches. They are not going to continue to just stay the same. They will not be satisfied win or lose with just doing the same things (that aren't working and aren't acceptable over and over again). And that is why they continue to improve. They set the highest standards for themselves and their team.They then take a more critical look at themselves. And changes are not talked about but implemented instead.

The first and most important rule in my "Win Anyway" philosophy is don't beat yourself. If your focus is on you and your improvement, your gonna get from point A to Point B much faster. So there is no need to put the focus on beating someone else.

Some teams should be given an award in beating themselves as they do it so well it should be recognized.

Based on what I saw last night and continue to see(unless CW is placed in the North) Mitty is clearly coasting to and winning the Norcal championship. Both Carondelet and Salesian two of the top teams in Norcal look to be very long shots at upsetting Mitty unless they make some changes in their approach. Especially Carondelet. I can't speak on Salesian and others. I haven't seen them or their potential as much to have the best grasp on their habits or potential. But I have seen Carondelet. I've already talked about Carondelet's need to improve its half court offense and ball movement.

Carondelet has had a player jacking up bad shots and forcing things way too often to be acceptable. This player has played this way for 3 years. It was so obvious someone commented on it on this site just after the Carondelet vs Mitty game.

I guarantee you Sue Phillips, Craig Campbell, Kelly Sopak, Doc Scheppler, Pico Wilburn, Donovan Blythe, and several others wouldn't put up with so call superstar delusion and self centered type of divisional play and attitudes like that even for one week. Even if it was their own daughter it wouldn't fly. They would most likely correct the issue the first time it looked like it could be a pattern before it became a problem.

Why did Mitty get better and become a top team?

Mitty and Sue Phillips did a superb job recognizing the need to make a few adjustments in the positions and roles players played instead of staying the same. That again (coaching) was the big difference maker. Sure Mitty would have been fine with the starters they had and the player(s) they had playing point guard and other positions. They were winning the way it was, but she set higher goals, and needed to change to get better. Sue recognized the upgrade the team would have by doing what was in the best interest of the "team" so she made the switch. That made them elevate a level or two from where they were. Before that minor adjustment( with the same personnel) they were a good team about on the Carondelet level. But she took the "same roster" and did what was best for the team and that made all the difference. She made a better team out of the same roster. That again is good coaching and it can't be down played. It started with putting in place higher standards. Then setting higher goals. Then implementing the changes not talking about them.

If Carondelet wants to move their play up a level or two it won't be by ignoring where they are weak and just assuming it will fix itself because guess what.... it won't. If they however are willing to take a critical look at themselves and not accept anything less than the best from and for themselves, they can and will move to the next level. They have the roster to easily fix their weaknesses. But the standards have to match the level of play you desire. I think the coach has been doing a good job and so has the team. But they haven't won state or the Nike TOC, so they can't be satisfied. To get to the next level they must both continue to get better. Just food for thought coming from my opinion.

That is the coach's fault plain and simple especially if she has been doing it for quite some time IMHO. It is usually the case with many of these teams that have some decent talent but don't have coaches really teaching these girls how to play basketball...part of that teaching is to know when it is the right time to shoot it and/or take it to the rack using their athletic ability and instincts vs. when its best to move the ball one more time. Those good decisions that result in high IQ can really be nurtured with good coaching and sadly only a handful of coaches teach that properly because most don't know it themselves. All the good coaches really teach that concept well....it is not the players' fault..it is the coach. And for those players that have those few outstanding coaches they should thank their lucky stars.

2014 a strange year for Salesian. they were a low seed only because they lost NCS DIII to SMB, against whom they ended up with a 4-1 season record. they also lost to SMS, Clet, and BOD, but had MM's number--handed them their only two losses of the season by 14 and 18. so much for body of work--in this case it was the matchups. tough to press a team with Miraya Moore in the backcourt.

2014 a strange year for Salesian. they were a low seed only because they lost NCS DIII to SMB, against whom they ended up with a 4-1 season record. they also lost to SMS, Clet, and BOD, but had MM's number--handed them their only two losses of the season by 14 and 18. so much for body of work--in this case it was the matchups. tough to press a team with Miraya Moore in the backcourt.

That year Carondelet beat Salesian and I think kind of had Salesians's number. But MM came into Carondelet and with no disrespect to Margaret (who is a good coach) they caught Carondelet off guard when MM backed away from the full court pressure. Carondelet was not prepared to adjust their game plan based on the unexpected. And the decision to leave 3 point shooting ace and 5'11 Mackenzie Cast on the bench too long after picking up a quick 3rd foul at the start of the 3rd quarter was the difference IMO. Because Cast had the size to better matchup with Sabrina, and take away passing lanes in addition to knocking down big 3 point shots on the other end. In Margaret's defense Scott M. Brown her assistant had a concussion and wasn't able to sit on the bench that game. I think Brown would have either suggested Cast stay in the game or brought her back sooner. Interestingly Cast (a senior) ended the game (her last) with the same 3 fouls. 92 to 87 it was a high scoring good game.

Also MM and others were very fortunate SMS perhaps two best players B. Moore, and senior C. Holloway were not available in the post season that year.

But I do think it is fair to say we haven't seen many play at the level Mariya Moore played at in high school. She was my all time favorite to witness on the girls side, with Jason Kidd my favorite local overall.

Last edited:
That is the coach's fault plain and simple especially if she has been doing it for quite some time IMHO. It is usually the case with many of these teams that have some decent talent but don't have coaches really teaching these girls how to play basketball...part of that teaching is to know when it is the right time to shoot it and/or take it to the rack using their athletic ability and instincts vs. when its best to move the ball one more time. Those good decisions that result in high IQ can really be nurtured with good coaching and sadly only a handful of coaches teach that properly because most don't know it themselves. All the good coaches really teach that concept well....it is not the players' fault..it is the coach. And for those players that have those few outstanding coaches they should thank their lucky stars.

There is no doubt about it a coach has the power to re-direct and fix it. And suggest a better challenge and approach for the player to consider. It is the type of problem some coach whether High school or AAU needs to help a young player correct before leaving high school. Especially if the player has the talent and desire to play at the next level. P/C Edit.... The sad thing is the young lady has a lot of skills and talent. Those lucky stars truly are few and far apart. They better also be very well appreciated.

In all fairness to both the coach and player there is a fine line between confidence and IQ. And you don't want to take a players aggressive nature or confidence away from them. But teaching the team concept ( and best chances to win a championship) is the best way to nurture the talent without damaging the confidence IMO.

Last edited:
There is no doubt about that ! Team's suffer most of all in cases like this.The sad thing is the young lady has a lot of skills and talent. But not many colleges will want or be willing to put up with that type of baggage. Those lucky stars truly are few and far apart. They better also be very well appreciated.

In all fairness to both the coach and player there is a fine line between confidence and IQ. And you don't want to take a players aggressive nature or confidence away from them. But teaching the team concept ( and best chances to win a championship) is the best way to nurture the talent without damaging the confidence IMO.

That fine line is what the best coaches teach. You can't have kids playing fearful

That fine line is what the best coaches teach. You can't have kids playing fearful

You should be coaching if you are not. You are totally correct. The team also has a player who is very capable and a proven dominant scorer who is not shooting for some reason. If Carondelet can get the one's who are hesitant shooting and attacking perhaps a little more and the one's taking bad forced shots considering better options, or shooting better shots, 90 % of their half court offensive troubles would be solved. There is also another adjustment, both would make their ball movement better, and the team( harder to defend) deadly in the half court. And if all adjustments are made it would further increase their odds of playing at that next level.

Last edited:
There is no doubt about that ! Team's suffer most of all in cases like this.The sad thing is the young lady has a lot of skills and talent. But not many colleges will want or be willing to put up with that type of baggage. Those lucky stars truly are few and far apart. They better also be very well appreciated.

The problem is unless you are there at practices and during game planning you don't know what the coach's instructions are. Perhaps this player is being told to shoot anytime she is open. Coach Mike Neighbors at U Wash gives his players a green light any time they wish provided they have met certain criteria during practice.

The fact is if the coach had a problem with her shot selection she wouldn't be out there. By virtue of continuing to be out there, the coach obviously has given his/her blessing.

Wow! Stunned someone would single out a player and a coach as a member of the team, yes parents are part of the team too.

The problem is unless you are there at practices and during game planning you don't know what the coach's instructions are. Perhaps this player is being told to shoot anytime she is open. Coach Mike Neighbors at U Wash gives his players a green light any time they wish provided they have met certain criteria during practice.

The fact is if the coach had a problem with her shot selection she wouldn't be out there. By virtue of continuing to be out there, the coach obviously has given his/her blessing.

Actually this has been addressed by the coach and is ongoing

The player(s) Mike Neighbors at the U Wash gives that type of green light are 4 or 5 star players (young adults not grade school 2-3 star children) who for the most part make pretty good decisions and maintain good attitudes.This has actually been an ongoing problem the coach has tried to address. And the player(s) are suffering because that player (a pretty good player at that) is not learning the lesson that she will need to learn to be a better player and good team mate at this and if she is fortunate enough since she has stressed wanting to play at the next level(s) the next level(s). If you have witnessed the issue at hand you would see it's an ongoing problem. It's a bad look for basketball. Hopefully it gets worked out. Because it will only create a better player and a better team.

Last edited:
Wow! Stunned someone would single out a player and a coach as a member of the team, yes parents are part of the team too.

Its called courage and concern. Something needed more in our society. But grown folks have been trained to shut their mouthes and look the other way. Or talk behind one's back. While the children who need to get the most from it all learn the wrong message. Some things are not ok. Young players have to be held accountable as motivation to move beyond the less desirable play. And learn how to be a better player and a better team mate on whatever team that player is on. And I am not knocking Carondelet's coach because he has been constantly trying to get the player(s) to play more composed and to trust each other. And it's not easy because each player presents different challenges for a coach. But I think coaches at the next level expect players to understand basic principles of good team play. And I think all coaches respect good team players who maintain a good attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkross22
paytc--you seem to have a connection to Carondelet. I've often wondered about the origin of the name, and my admittedly meagre research comes up with a real shaggy-dog story. Sisters of St. Joseph (its founding order) were in the village of Carondelet (now a neighborhood of St. Louis) before coming to sunny California (good move!). the village was so named because the French guy who founded it was worried about being ousted by the Spanish, who were at the time in charge, so he named it after the governor of the Spanish colony of Upper Louisiana, Baron Carondelet. (sure sounds like a French name to me...).

I'll bet the girls have an origin story (urban legend) for the name that's more romantic.

Its called courage and concern. Something needed more in our society. But grown folks have been trained to shut their mouthes and look the other way. Or talk behind one's back. While the children who need to get the most from it all learn the wrong message. Some things are not ok.
I'm sure the young lady you singled out on your daughters team really appreciates the elightenment her teammates father is supplying, albiet unsolicited.

I would not call it being trained to shut their mouths as much as not opening Pandora's box because at one point does it become too much, what is appropriate and what is not? Not sure what is right or wrong but I would bet you want be that families chistmas card list.

I'm sure the young lady you singled out on your daughters team really appreciates the elightenment her teammates father is supplying, albiet unsolicited.

I would not call it being trained to shut their mouths as much as not opening Pandora's box because at one point does it become too much, what is appropriate and what is not? Not sure what is right or wrong but I would bet you want be that families chistmas card list.

Obviously if it isn't a real problem it won't be noticeable and no one would stand out. So how would anyone know who in the world the person is? I didn't really expect, want, or need your endorsement because I'm not running for any political position or office. Furthermore.......
The whole subject started from a claim about how great a "team" Mitty was and why. And why they are the favorites in Norcal with no real challengers unless CW is moved up North. Everyone should want to learn and be taught how to play good "team" ball.

It's pretty clear from watching most teams that Mitty and CW are two of the teams that provide a couple of the best examples.

Nor team parent of the year is something that one should run for in this situation.

I have never went out of my way to put any child, team, coach, or player down. On the contrary I have always tried to do just the opposite.I positively encourage folks.

maybe you forgot about this...

maybe you forgot about this...

Saying they need to not make bad decisions and get frustrated and play one on one without their team is 100 miles away from putting a player down. On the contrary it is just the opposite. A kid will need to learn at some point. Because that type of play and attitude will be the last thing 99% of the coaches at the next level will be looking for. And again, if it isn't a real issue or problem no child would stand out because if I recall correctly I didn't use any names. I think all kids should learn how to play within the flow of the game and learn how to work well with their team mates and within the team system while maintaining a good attitude. I think that is what separates good and better players and teams like Mitty, CW, Pinewood, MM, Carondelet, etc...... And I would like to see our kids (all of them) and our team playing together just as well as the top teams. Should I be shot or locked up for that?

I thought It needed to be said, and it was. No harm was intended- can we move on now? How about those rankings now after the most recent games?

Last edited:
Saying they need to not make bad decisions and get frustrated and play one on one without their team is 100 miles away from putting a player down. On the contrary it is just the opposite. A kid will need to learn at some point. Because that type of play and attitude will be the last thing 99% of the coaches at the next level will be looking for. And again, if it isn't a real issue or problem no child would stand out because if I recall correctly I didn't use any names. I think all kids should learn how to play within the flow of the game and learn how to work well with their team mates and within the team system while maintaining a good attitude. I think that is what separates good and better players and teams like Mitty, CW, Pinewood, MM, etc...... And I would like to see our kids (all of them) and our team playing together just as well. Should I be shot or locked up for that?
I would agree you should not be locked up over making a statement on a message board but I would take extreme caution when using the word our, especially when mentioning "our team".

No you definitely shouldnt be shot or locked up... but dont constantly knock people who criticize teams/players/coaches... because thats what you are doing... and theres some old saying about rocks and houses or something like that..

The whole subject started from a claim about how great a "team" Mitty was and why. And why they are the favorites in Norcal with no real challengers unless CW is moved up North. Everyone should want to learn and be taught how to play good "team" ball.

It's pretty clear from watching most teams that Mitty and CW are two of the teams that provide a couple of the best examples.
I know a little bit about how things work at Mitty. Coach Phillips has very little patience for rogue parents. You wouldn't be having this conversation about team dynamics and individual players on a public forum, if your daughter was playing at Mitty. Trust me, one way or the other, it wouldn't happen.

I know a little bit about how things work at Mitty. Coach Phillips has very little patience for rogue parents. You wouldn't be having this conversation about team dynamics and individual players on a public forum, if your daughter was playing at Mitty. Trust me, one way or the other, it wouldn't happen.

And from what I know.. "very little" is an exaggeration at that..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT