ADVERTISEMENT

Rocklin vs. Folsom, now what.

Santa Ball

Sports Fanatic
Dec 7, 2017
My original post.

A little bit of homerism/machismo but
I the matchup again will come down to lineplay and physicality. I'm hearing Folsom has a lineman out and are moving pieces around, specifically moving a vet guard to replace center starkey. Obviously backfilling a guard position. This could be significant...

Rocklin has a great dline, physical very, very physical. With Carter at Q, I expect to see him take off quite a bit, it kinda there base run game anyways. Rocklin will most likely dance with Dougherty between number of downlineman they use. Example DLS ran 3, played coverage everywhere.

Rocklin isn't DLS but if they can get away with 3 and still get pressure, it could be closer than some think. Both teams are extremely well coached except Folsoms defense is not. 🤣

Folsom wont change anything on offense I suspect, wont punt, etc, why should they...they own the SFL and typically have starters resting after the 3rd qtr.

BUT This week feels different...

1. Folsom just took a major step back after losing again to DLS. That has to sting, if not embarrass some of their nationally recruited mercenaries, if not to beat De La, what the hell is the point.

2. They lost their starting QB, QB2 looks really good but unlike Thunder this is really his first varsity start. A few mistakes can change this game throwing in the no fly zone.

3. Folsom wanted no part of rocklin last year, and that weakness (fear) still lingers in tha air and will be pretty heavy come homecoming night.

4. Without getting to heavy into the film, Folsom is soft, and there defense is poorly coached. They rely on superior athletes and hey, who wouldn't.

For Thunder Its - dont lose the game in the 1st qtr, make their starters play 4, and as physical teams go, exert your will on them till 00.00.

If Folsom score 30, it's over I'm afraid. But this is a straight Arkham Asylum defense, joker mentality everywhere, if the discipline is there, I dont think we will see a high scoring game.

Rocklin by 10
Actual Rockin by 33

So now what, what does this mean for Folsom and the playoff picture, division seeding etc.

Open discussion

My original post.

I the matchup again will come down to lineplay and physicality. I'm hearing Folsom has a lineman out and are moving pieces around, specifically moving a vet guard to replace center starkey. Obviously backfilling a guard position. This could be significant...
Rocklin has a great dline, physical very, very physical. With Carter at Q, I expect to see him take off quite a bit, it kinda there base run game anyways. Rocklin will most likely dance with Dougherty between number of downlineman they use. Example DLS ran 3, played coverage everywhere.
Rocklin isn't DLS but if they can get away with 3 and still get pressure, it could be closer than some think. Both teams are extremely well coached except Folsoms defense is not. 🤣
Folsom wont change anything on offense I suspect, wont punt, etc, why should they...they own the SFL and typically have starters resting after the 3rd qtr.
1. Folsom just took a major step back after losing again to DLS. That has to sting, if not embarrass some of their nationally recruited mercenaries, if not to beat De La, what the hell is the point.
2. They lost their starting QB, QB2 looks really good but unlike Thunder this is really his first varsity start. A few mistakes can change this game throwing in the no fly zone.
3. Folsom wanted no part of rocklin last year, and that weakness (fear) still lingers in tha air and will be pretty heavy come homecoming night.
4. Without getting to heavy into the film, Folsom is soft, and there defense is poorly coached. They rely on superior athletes and hey, who wouldn't.
For Thunder Its - dont lose the game in the 1st qtr, make their starters play 4, and as physical teams go, exert your will on them till 00.00.
If Folsom score 30, it's over I'm afraid. But this is a straight Arkham Asylum defense, joker mentality everywhere, if the discipline is there, I dont think we will see a high scoring game.

Rocklin by 10
Actual Rockin by 33

So now what, what does this mean for Folsom and the playoff picture, division seeding etc.

Open discussion
I say Folsom splits their next 2 game Beating Whitney and Losing to GB…. That puts them 3 rd in their League so With their Non League win over PITT they would be SJS D1….

Even if they lose both of their games they would stillnFinish 3rd with a 6-4 Record and 3-3 in League they would still be in D1….

As Far as the playoffs Folsom will be lucky to make it out of the second round if they don’t get Their QB back or if they can’t Coach up the D1 kid from JV…. And their line needs to figure out how to Block otherwise they will be losing more QB’s to injury….

We are about to find out how good Folsom’s Coaching really is, they got beat 71-17 against their 2 best opponents….That is not a sign of a well coached football team….. DLS and Rocklin may have just Sent Folsom Back to the Pre Taylor/Richardson Era…

Reactions: Santa Ball
what a great a great night out at rocklin! It was fun sitting on Folsom side with fans who were completely numb.

I think most of us who really watch and know HS football thought Rocklin was a better team last year and this year it would be a neck and neck game with Folsom. I had rocklin winning 24-20. What did I say all week? Rocklin is giving up 8 ppg the last 13!! Thats crazy!
TR said it best. Rocklin wins if both teams are full strength. It was so overwhelmingly clear that Rocklin was superior in all aspects of the game. This was total domination. And what have we learned.. Folsom does not like Physical teams. Imagine them in the wcal… ugly

i applaud oak ridge for going 7-0 deficit against rocklin until the 4th. They showed much more heart without near the talent. I think OR would beat that Folsom team I saw last night.

And get those 2 speedy WR for Rocklin some more offers. They were running by all these major recruits by Folsom like nothin.

lastly , rocklin is positioned well. They will go undefeated in reg season. 10-0. Anybody have any predictions? I think they could be a d1 bowl contender.

My original post.

Rocklin by 10
Actual Rockin by 33

Open discussion
I don't think it means all that much other than on a rankings level. What stinks for Folsom is Rocklin is Div2 so they won't play each other in playoffs. I think an undefeated St. Francis or Serra from here in gets the Open regardless of Rocklin's performance just based on SOS. Rocklin DLS in a play-in (or whoever beats either of them in playoffs). We also have to count in Buchanan at that point as well. If Rocklin loses a playoff game, the door for a 1 loss Buchanan opens up as a Rocklin loss to Central Catholic or Jesuit leaves you with a relatively weak SJS DivII winner

Reactions: Santa Ball
Folsom doesn’t like smash mouth, downhill physical football. They can and will dink and dunk with the best of them. But they’re not built for going toe to toe with teams.
Although it’s out of style there is something to be said with running and/or physical play especially on offense still. It seems like the only teams that can beat finesse super powers are the smash mouth type teams. If you can’t out athlete them, shorten the game, maintain possession, and slowly suck the life out of the opponent. If you have the athletes by all means use them wisely (get them in space/throw deep), but I think playing to your players strengths is being lost a bit in favor of “flashier” spread or heavy throwing type offensives when your roster doesn’t not call for it.

I don't think it means all that much other than on a rankings level. What stinks for Folsom is Rocklin is Div2 so they won't play each other in playoffs. I think an undefeated St. Francis or Serra from here in gets the Open regardless of Rocklin's performance just based on SOS. Rocklin DLS in a play-in (or whoever beats either of them in playoffs). We also have to count in Buchanan at that point as well. If Rocklin loses a playoff game, the door for a 1 loss Buchanan opens up as a Rocklin loss to Central Catholic or Jesuit leaves you with a relatively weak SJS DivII winner

I don’t see rocklin losing again until at least regional bowl game. Not what I’ve witnessed so far this year. This is one of the best rocklin teams I’ve seen. There QB is getting better each week as well. He’s better than I was giving him credit for. They have passionate kids that really enjoy each other who thrive on hitting. Don’t discount chemistry. You don’t see that on Folsom side. They also have a great fg kicker. Hell he kicked a 43 yd fg last night that was good from 50.

Rocklin is now in the SJS D1 playoffs because they won a D1 league. Folsom will be in D1 due to enrollment. They will be put on opposite sides of the bracket, most likely. They would have a chance to meet in the SJS D1 championship.

Double L33.... thanks to your pregame analysis/enthusiasm I changed my Pic'ems from Folsom to Rocklin, shame I didn't move them up on my rankings.
Gracias Amigo
My pleasure! Maybe they meet up again but I would say rocklin is favored by 2 + scores. Folsom style doesn’t bode well against rocklin. It comes down to matchups and rocklin has a superior line/d and can equally if not beat on athlete matchups. Good luck scoring against rocklin.

Reactions: concrete17
My pleasure! Maybe they meet up again but I would say rocklin is favored by 2 + scores. Folsom style doesn’t bode well against rocklin. It comes down to matchups and rocklin has a superior line/d and can equally if not beat on athlete matchups. Good luck scoring against rocklin.
Thank you. You mean it doesn’t come down to daisy chain and 3rd party comparative scores and and MOV? There will be someone out there saying Rocklin beat Foslom by a larger margin than DLS therefore they are better than DLS and shops be favored if they meet up. I personally would love to see that match up, but id favor DLS at this point.

Thank you. You mean it doesn’t come down to daisy chain and 3rd party comparative scores and and MOV? There will be someone out there saying Rocklin beat Foslom by a larger margin than DLS therefore they are better than DLS and shops be favored if they meet up. I personally would love to see that match up, but id favor DLS at this point.
Rocklin is better than DLS....especially if Rocklin QB didn't go down.

But he did go down? And as much as we enjoy your rankings, they seemed to have missed the dartboard all year.
He did a few games ago. My point was they are better than most people outside of the SJS think. Better than DLS right now.

Would be a really good game. Both are physical. Rocklin has more of a downfield threat. DLS' peak has been better to me than Rocklin's, but Rocklin has been more consistent week-to-week.

Also enjoy getting new matchups so a WCAL team in Open and these two in a NorCal game would add some excitment.

A lot of football left

DLS' peak has been better to me than Rocklin's, but Rocklin has been more consistent week-to-week.
Has Rocklin been more consistent or have they played a easier schedule? No knock on Rocklin happy to see they beat up on Folsom. Folsom has always been a soft team and program. I pointed out this fact a few years back during the SBG’s and had my screen named blocked because of it, which is why its now truthhertz. Anyway it is what it is on these boards.

Would be a really good game. Both are physical. Rocklin has more of a downfield threat. DLS' peak has been better to me than Rocklin's, but Rocklin has been more consistent week-to-week.

Also enjoy getting new matchups so a WCAL team in Open and these two in a NorCal game would add some excitment.

A lot of football left
The More I see DLS play This year the more they look like They Are The Best Team in Nor Cal…

DLS just Put a Running Clock on a 6-0 CAL HI Team while Missing 30 Players Including the #1 Player in Nor Cal….

If DLS and SF played again, I think DLS wins by 2 TD…. If DLS doesn’t drop a Int in the end zone and Fumble on the 5 yard line going into score, both in the 4th Quarter, they win by 2 Scores even with how bad DLS played in the first half…..

Rocklin looks like a Great Team and by far the best in the SJS this year, but Folsom was also Highly Overrated this year…. The 2 Best Teams Folsom has Played have beat Folsom by a Combined score of 71-17…. If you look at the last 4 Meaningful games Folsom has played, they have lost them all by 2 TD’s (DLS x 2, MT Playoffs 2019 and Rocklin for Leage Title 2021)…. Folsom clearly appears to be on the decline….

DLS vs Rocklin would Be Epic for the D-1 A. Play in and I hope we get to see that game…. But I just don’t see DLS losing another game this year unless they go to the open….

Has Rocklin been more consistent or have they played a easier schedule? No knock on Rocklin happy to see they beat up on Folsom. Folsom has always been a soft team and program. I pointed out this fact a few years back during the SBG’s and had my screen named blocked because of it, which is why its now truthhertz. Anyway it is what it is on these boards.
Agree!!!.,… The SFL is So Weak this year, how do we really know how good Rocklin is?….. They are better then Folsom but Folsom was Way Overrated this year and is on the decline….

I have watched Rocklin 2 times and I do think they are a very good team, they are well coached, have good size and Are very physical with talented players….. They look like SF, They are a Very good team…..

But SF could have lost to DLS by 2 TD’s just as easily as they won by 3 points on the last play of the game…. So to me I would go SF, DLS, Serra, Rocklin in the top 4 right now….

Truthfully SF, Serra and Rocklin all look the same right now but SF has the best win of the 3….

Reactions: remc and concrete17
Very easily could be the easier schedule. Early in the year, I saw more sloppiness and less physical play from DLS than usual. The last two weeks have been more of their standard.

Reactions: concrete17
The More I see DLS play This year the more they look like They Are The Best Team in Nor Cal…

DLS just Put a Running Clock on a 6-0 CAL HI Team while Missing 30 Players Including the #1 Player in Nor Cal….

If DLS and SF played again, I think DLS wins by 2 TD…. If DLS doesn’t drop a Int in the end zone and Fumble on the 5 yard line going into score, both in the 4th Quarter, they win by 2 Scores even with how bad DLS played in the first half…..

Rocklin looks like a Great Team and by far the best in the SJS this year, but Folsom was also Highly Overrated this year…. The 2 Best Teams Folsom has Played have beat Folsom by a Combined score of 71-17…. If you look at the last 4 Meaningful games Folsom has played, they have lost them all by 2 TD’s (DLS x 2, MT Playoffs 2019 and Rocklin for Leage Title 2021)…. Folsom clearly appears to be on the decline….

DLS vs Rocklin would Be Epic for the D-1 A. Play in and I hope we get to see that game…. But I just don’t see DLS losing another game this year unless they go to the open….
Can't disagree

My original post.

Rocklin by 10
Actual Rockin by 33

Open discussion

Well done, bro. Totally on point.

what a great a great night out at rocklin! It was fun sitting on Folsom side with fans who were completely numb.

Next time you decide to come out to Rocklin, let a brother know ahead of time. I would have met up with you. I had my wife and niece with me for Homecoming otherwise I still would have tried to locate you once I knew you were there.

I don't think it means all that much other than on a rankings level. What stinks for Folsom is Rocklin is Div2 so they won't play each other in playoffs. I think an undefeated St. Francis or Serra from here in gets the Open regardless of Rocklin's performance just based on SOS.

Rocklin is now in the SJS D1 playoffs because they won a D1 league. Folsom will be in D1 due to enrollment. They will be put on opposite sides of the bracket, most likely. They would have a chance to meet in the SJS D1 championship.

MT covered it here. Rocklin will see D1 comp in the postseason, which could include the likes of St. Mary's, Jesuit and/or even a rematch with Folsom.

If those teams win out and Rocklin beats a couple of them, their SoS will greatly improve.

Nowhere to the same degree as St. Francis' win over DLS, but Rocklin's blow out win over Folsom is sure to leave a lasting impression and carry a lot of weight. While I'm on record believing each season is in its own vacuum and previous history should be considered irrelevant, we know it gets considered. Rocklin will most likely benefit more than they should from obliterating a program like Folsom.

If they manage to run the table and post a convincing win over any of those aforementioned teams along the way -- they'll be in heavy consideration. Especially if it's Serra that's undefeated and not St. Francis.

Last edited:
You mean it doesn’t come down to daisy chain and 3rd party comparative scores and and MOV? There will be someone out there saying Rocklin beat Foslom by a larger margin than DLS therefore they are better than DLS and shops be favored if they meet up.

I hate that too. But let's be honest, most of the DLS homers do the same thing when they've faced a common opponent. It is what it is.

What I hate worse than the above is when someone foolishly believes that when Team A gets blown out by Team B at some point during the season (or even during the previous season) that Team A can't somehow be 3,4,5 TD's better in a potential rematch.

It's always easy to say and believe that when the teams won't meet up again. However there are countless examples from HS, college and pros where a dramatic reversal took place during the same season let alone during the next season.

You'd think some of these sports fans have never followed sports before.

Reactions: bella123
If they manage to run the table and post a convincing win over any of those aforementioned teams along the way -- they'll be in heavy consideration. Especially if it's Serra that's undefeated and not St. Francis.
i was thinking the same thing

Reactions: ThunderRam

I think for Rocklin to get the open, Serra needs to win their Section and have 1 loss…. Then I think an undefeated Rocklin gets in…..

It would be an interesting decision for the Committee because DLS would have the Better Schedule and a Better win over SDCC then Rocklin’s wins, but DLS would have that 3 point loss to a team (SF) that did not win their section…..

An undefeated Serra would presumably have 2 wins over SF who Actually Beat DLS so I think there is no way an undefeated Serra or a 1 loss SF don’t go to the open…

Especially if Folsom continues to slide and gets knocked out early…. That hurts DLS and Rocklin because The Folsom wins would lose their impact….

MT covered it here. Rocklin will see D1 comp in the postseason, which could include the likes of St. Mary's, Jesuit and/or even a rematch with Folsom.

If those teams win out and Rocklin beats a couple of them, their SoS will greatly improve.

Nowhere to the same degree as St. Francis' win over DLS, but Rocklin's blow out win over Folsom is sure to leave a lasting impression and carry a lot of weight. While I'm on record believing each season is in its own vacuum and previous history should be considered irrelevant, we know it gets considered. Rocklin will most likely benefit more than they should from obliterating a program like Folsom.

Rocklins win would have been more impressive if the Folsom starter at QB had played. Given the type of sophisticated passing offense they run, not having Tremain at QB was huge. That's a big factor that people are ignoring. Rocklin might still win, but not 40-7 IMO

I will say it again- Rocklin or SF for the OPEN. Period. No one else.
When Serra and SF play, that'll be another issue. By all accounts, Serra was the WCAL favorite going into the season. They are still undefeated. Serra must be included at this point. It's the fear of so many that if DLS wins the NCS that they might face and beat any of these three in NorCal Playoffs. Lots of mental gymnastics taking place. Last team anyone wants to see in a NorCal playoff game

Reactions: THEOC89
Rocklins win would have been more impressive if the Folsom starter at QB had played. Given the type of sophisticated passing offense they run, not having Tremain at QB was huge. That's a big factor that people are ignoring. Rocklin might still win, but not 40-7 IMO
Remc, i'm not sure if you were aware but Rocklin played their backup qb as well. That's a big factor for their offense, or arguably any team.

Remc, i'm not sure if you were aware but Rocklin played their backup qb as well. That's a big factor for their offense, or arguably any team.
Folsom Could have Had Jake Browning Backed up by Bennett and Rocklin still would have won that game with their backup QB and That Defense…. 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT