ADVERTISEMENT

SFL After Week 2

I expect most of us agree that there are multiple factors that "tell the story" how a game may play out. When we talk about a "matchup" between two teams we are talking all the "factors" that are realized during execution of the game that "can" determine the result. I say "can" because not all factors are equal and some factors we think are significant in a specific matchup turn out to be insignificant for a number of reasons. Factors can span from the normal baseline factors i.e. quality of OL/DL play, capability of QB, home vs road, etc. to very specific i.e. weather conditions. Factors can be objective or subjective but for the most part I'd argue that most factors going into a game are subjective.

Interested to know what folks generically consider factors for football game matchups as that is what we spend a lot of time debating in this forum. Here are a few of a gazillion possible factors:
  • Disciplined execution
  • Coaching
  • Road vs home
  • Offensive schemes i.e. wing-T, pro-set, veer, pistol, spread
  • Team experience playing against specific offensive schemes
  • Team speed
  • Weather conditions
  • # of D1 athletes, IMG comes to mind as an extreme example
  • Conditioning
  • # of skill players on O & D & special teams
  • Consistent & strong offensive run and/or pass game
  • Consistent & strong defense against run and/or pass
  • Injuries
  • ?

Confidence, team spirit (coaching and having team leaders obviously affect these two factors but confidence accumulates over time).

Reactions: smashmouthrick
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT