ADVERTISEMENT

THE OPEN---WHO HAS A CHANCE OF WINNING

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
On Friday night Nov 9th, Pittsburg travel to DLS for a 7 P.M. engagement.....How many people think that Pittsburg has a chance of not winning, but just scoring???? DLS has destroyed every one in the NCS except Central Catholic who put up a fight but lost 35-7....DLS will walk thru Pittsburg, CVC and Liberty. DLS is capable of knocking off Junior College teams......This is not a DLS hatting thing, it is what is going to happen...Two years ago, CVC held DLS to a 28-0 victory and SRV almost got DLS, but lost by one point.....All three teams, but only two must come prepared to win and give it every thing they have as DLS is a killing machine.

I have DLS knocking off Pitt pretty easily. And CV over liberty. DLS will once again dominate CV in final and CV will get the loser plays on game. Which is frankly what I think they have angled for all along.

On Friday night Nov 9th, Pittsburg travel to DLS for a 7 P.M. engagement.....How many people think that Pittsburg has a chance of not winning, but just scoring???? DLS has destroyed every one in the NCS except Central Catholic who put up a fight but lost 35-7....DLS will walk thru Pittsburg, CVC and Liberty. DLS is capable of knocking off Junior College teams......This is not a DLS hatting thing, it is what is going to happen...Two years ago, CVC held DLS to a 28-0 victory and SRV almost got DLS, but lost by one point.....All three teams, but only two must come prepared to win and give it every thing they have as DLS is a killing machine.
Pitt played DLS pretty tough in last years NCS final, losing 24-7.

Liberty over CV. Liberty has good defense, especially against the run. Their offense is even better.
DLS over PItt, but Pitt comes close,42-21.
Liberty puts a big scare into DLS in the final.

Liberty over CV. Liberty has good defense, especially against the run. Their offense is even better.
Pitt lost their starting QB a few games ago, so I don’t know if they can muster 21 against DLS. But the Pitt run defense is pretty stout, they could hold Sparty under 42, last year they gave up 24.Id say 33-7 DLS

Reactions: observer22
Liberty is very good. Probably a lot better than many people realize. I would love seeing them play Folsom actually.
I don't see DLS or Liberty having any trouble in round one vs Pitt and CV.
I think DLS vs Liberty in finals and DLS wins 35-21 in a very good game.

Liberty is very good. Probably a lot better than many people realize. I would love seeing them play Folsom actually.
I don't see DLS or Liberty having any trouble in round one vs Pitt and CV.
I think DLS vs Liberty in finals and DLS wins 35-21 in a very good game.
I think Folsom would beat Liberty by 2tds. Liberty vs CVC is going to be a real good game. The way DLS is playing right now. The only chance of them losing is in the SBG.

Would be fun to see Pitt knock off DLS in the playoffs. Pull up your socks and go for it.

That would mean no DLS in the state playoffs. However, if DLS loses in the Open finals, that would likely mean a Folsom re-match.

Liberty is a good team. Much respect...but especially good against the run??? Maybe against some of the doormats they played this season, but Pitt ran right through them. They gave up 223 yards rushing to Pitt and over 6 yards/carry. CV's bread and butter is running the ball out of their wing-T. CV will run for over 300 yards against Liberty. Liberty might still win because of their offensive firepower, but I think CV will have to control the clock and limit their possessions. If Liberty wins, DLS will run over, through and around them. It will be a blowout.

This is what I'm expecting this time, too. It will be closer than a lot of people think. Pitt's defensive strength is DLS's offensive strength, but I believe that the Spartans will be able to slow Pitt's O.

I'm thinking DLS 24-10.

I have Liberty beating CVC 31-20.

Liberty is a good team. Much respect...but especially good against the run??? Maybe against some of the doormats they played this season, but Pitt ran right through them. They gave up 223 yards rushing to Pitt and over 6 yards/carry. CV's bread and butter is running the ball out of their wing-T. CV will run for over 300 yards against Liberty. Liberty might still win because of their offensive firepower, but I think CV will have to control the clock and limit their possessions. If Liberty wins, DLS will run over, through and around them. It will be a blowout.

I didnt see the Pitt game. Thanks for your perspective! Maybe CVC surprises Liberty by chewing up the clock with long scoring drives.

It’s funny that if a team only loses by 3 TDs vs DLS, it is seen as keeping it close, but that’s what it has come down to. Folsom played them very close, but lost by 2 TDs.
OBSERVER22..pretty well covers it....It hasn't been a case of who might or will beat DLS.....San Ramon Valley came the closet, going down 29-28 while attempting a two point PAT, if the Wolves would have gotten the last foot on the ground play, we would be talking a little different. But no school dist. has been able to come up with a team strong enough to beat DLS. while the cream of the crop from every where comes to DLS....Folsom for the time being looks to be the giant killer...

OBSERVER22..pretty well covers it....It hasn't been a case of who might or will beat DLS.....San Ramon Valley came the closet, going down 29-28 while attempting a two point PAT, if the Wolves would have gotten the last foot on the ground play, we would be talking a little different. But no school dist. has been able to come up with a team strong enough to beat DLS. while the cream of the crop from every where comes to DLS....Folsom for the time being looks to be the giant killer...
Didnt serra almost win, but missed a pat a few years back, around 2008 or so?

I think you're thinking of Bellarmine. I know Dls beat Serra by 1 a while back when the DLS holder dropped the snap on a pat; and ended up running it in for a 2 point conversion.

Reactions: observer22
I think you're thinking of Bellarmine. I know Dls beat Serra by 1 a while back when the DLS holder dropped the snap on a pat; and ended up running it in for a 2 point conversion.
Guys....DLS had a rough time out of the area this season, as St. Francis held DLS to a 33-15 win, Getting by Bishop Gorman 27-21 and
stopping Buchanan of Clovis 31-24...For what ever reason, our local teams have a rough time with DLS, but its the same old story...DLS get the cream of the crop from al over while the local school Dist. play with what they have...

Would be fun to see Pitt knock off DLS in the playoffs. Pull up your socks and go for it.
Nobody has played DLS more times in the NCS Playoffs than Pitt. What school do you root for may I ask?

Nobody has played DLS more times in the NCS Playoffs than Pitt. What school do you root for may I ask?

I’m a Cardinal Newman fan mostly, but enjoy also following different norcal teams, like Placer this year, Palma, Central Catholic, St. Marys, Oakdale, Valley Christian, Rancho Cotate, Marin Catholic, and lately have been more interested in getting to know some of the Northern Section schools, like Sutter. I’m not generally a big fan of teams in the SFL, or the WCAL ( except VC), but I don’t hate them. I sometimes follow some East Bay schools when they have an elite athlete playing, and also Tulare Union ( the tribe) in the Central, since last year, when Kasmir Allen tore it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: slick58 and MC415
I’m a Cardinal Newman fan mostly, but enjoy also following different norcal teams, like Placer this year, Palma, Central Catholic, St. Marys, Oakdale, Valley Christian, Rancho Cotate, Marin Catholic, and lately have been more interested in getting to know some of the Northern Section schools, like Sutter. I’m not generally a big fan of teams in the SFL, or the WCAL ( except VC), but I don’t hate them. I sometimes follow some East Bay schools when they have an elite athlete playing, and also Tulare Union ( the tribe) in the Central, since last year, when Kasmir Allen tore it up.
I’m that way also, I like a lot of different teams I like and try to watch. DeLa, Pitt, Clayton, Vacaville, both St. Mary’s, and when I feel like making the drive I’ll try to check out Newman.(Used to have some jobs up there near Wickiup subdivision)Plus the more teams you watch, the better you can gauge playoff pairings and matchups. Saw Grant around 2008, 2009. Very impressed with the team speed and size. But otherwise haven’t seen a lot of the SFL. Did see Del Oro play DLS a few years ago, and I saw Folsom vs DLS this year. Elite athletes in that one, fun to watch

Guys....DLS had a rough time out of the area this season, as St. Francis held DLS to a 33-15 win, Getting by Bishop Gorman 27-21 and
stopping Buchanan of Clovis 31-24...For what ever reason, our local teams have a rough time with DLS, but its the same old story...DLS get the cream of the crop from al over while the local school Dist. play with what they have...
Lol, c'mon on now Bluedog, you must be being sarcastic because I know you are smarter than that. Yes, DLS gets a some talented guys but have you seen the number of kids that have transferred to Pitt, Liberty and Freedom (and many other schools) the last few years???

I'd love to see Liberty, Folsom and Central (Fresno) in the same bracket TBH. I think Liberty can play with Folsom but I think Central would beat Folsom.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Here’s my predictions, and yes, totally shooting for the stars.

Pitt 20 - DLS 17
CV 35 - Liberty 17

I’ve seen all four teams multiple times in person. Realistically it would take Galli and boys to play a perfect game, but hey, why not! A run defense that has held everyone under but Clayton under 100 yards certain has the potential. That includes Centennial. Even Clayton barely rushed over 100 and they average probably 250 a game.

I think Clayton will be much more physical with Liberty than people think. Agree with townbiz, if Pitt ran for over 200 on Liberty, Clayton should have no problem. Murphy is all about clock control. Should be two good nights regardless of who wins.

Lol, c'mon on now Bluedog, you must be being sarcastic because I know you are smarter than that. Yes, DLS gets a some talented guys but have you seen the number of kids that have transferred to Pitt, Liberty and Freedom (and many other schools) the last few years???
Partially agree townbiz. At the end of the day DLS beats the hell out of all of Norcal up front. Few schools have the man power to compete for four quarters with DLS. That’s why I think Pittsburg has a fighting chance and why DLS will pulverize CV and Liberty. Pittsburg has two good lines. Their defensive line is absolutely unreal. Which happens to be what DLS loves to play against.

Here’s my predictions, and yes, totally shooting for the stars.

Pitt 20 - DLS 17
CV 35 - Liberty 17

I’ve seen all four teams multiple times in person. Realistically it would take Galli and boys to play a perfect game, but hey, why not! A run defense that has held everyone under but Clayton under 100 yards certain has the potential. That includes Centennial. Even Clayton barely rushed over 100 and they average probably 250 a game.

I think Clayton will be much more physical with Liberty than people think. Agree with townbiz, if Pitt ran for over 200 on Liberty, Clayton should have no problem. Murphy is all about clock control. Should be two good nights regardless of who wins.

Nobody runs the ball like De La Salle.

35-7 DLS
35-31 Liberty

Partially agree townbiz. At the end of the day DLS beats the hell out of all of Norcal up front. Few schools have the man power to compete for four quarters with DLS. That’s why I think Pittsburg has a fighting chance and why DLS will pulverize CV and Liberty. Pittsburg has two good lines. Their defensive line is absolutely unreal. Which happens to be what DLS loves to play against.
Agree about Pitts defensive line. It’s just that I don’t think Pitts offense can generate enough first downs and time of possession to keep Pitts defense fresh. At first it’ll be pretty even. But in the second half the Pirate defense will wear down from being on the field too long. At least that’s how I see it playing out.

Reactions: Paloma
I have to agree with townbiz24 on this one. I think the Liberty run game defense is most likely a weakness when talking at the Open level. Liberty is elite at the QB and WR spots. Depth is also an issue. Liberty needs to score early and often to get CV playing from behind. They can throw the ball but they don't throw often avg 10.5 times a game, vs run 39.6 times a game. So the passing game is more of an element of surprise, high percentage plays.

I have to agree with townbiz24 on this one. I think the Liberty run game defense is most likely a weakness when talking at the Open level. Liberty is elite at the QB and WR spots. Depth is also an issue. Liberty needs to score early and often to get CV playing from behind. They can throw the ball but they don't throw often avg 10.5 times a game, vs run 39.6 times a game. So the passing game is more of an element of surprise, high percentage plays.
I agree whole heartedly. I don't think people realize that this year's CV team has a QB that can really throw, unlike past seasons. They will definitely run the hell out of the ball but I think they will surprise Liberty with their passing game.

Lets be honest here...

The open criteria is a mess.

If I were Pitt I’d schedule all bad teams until obviously league and they’d be a 3 right now. I believe CV scheduled Antioch in the fear of losing to Pitt and the small chance Antioch beats Pitt they could petition for the 3. It’s my opinion but I think it stays even for about 2 quarters. CV does something dumb like go for it on 4th in their own territory and eventually Liberty flys away with it.
(34-21)
You are right about the Open criteria being a mess, but I disagree with scheduling bad teams. I believe you schedule above your teams level to push them. Beating a bunch of cream puffs will do no good in the long run. It won't prepare them for the playoffs/bowl games with legit teams.

I agree whole heartedly. I don't think people realize that this year's CV team has a QB that can really throw, unlike past seasons. They will definitely run the hell out of the ball but I think they will surprise Liberty with their passing game.

The QB is on par with previous QBs CV has rolled out. Their passing game is what it is and plays off the run. They aren’t going to line up and run a spread attack no matter how well the kid can throw it. They also have nobody on staff that seems to have a clue on how to actually design a passing attack in terms of timing, routes, etc....

From what I have heard, the guys that leave DLS can't deal with the way they do things......If half the kids that are on the DLS team would have stayed at their current school dist. DLS would not be as strong as they are...The will to win and be on a winning team makes a big difference... DLS will get by Pitt and Liberty/CVC by two or three TD's at the minium, DLS has had a few close calls, but that happens...As for kids transfering to Pitt, Liberty, Freedom, Antioch you name it. but they are from the area, some in concord have gone to Pittsburg...Who know's…..But DLS is the team to beat....

I'd love to see Liberty, Folsom and Central (Fresno) in the same bracket TBH. I think Liberty can play with Folsom but I think Central would beat Folsom.
I do not think any nor cal team outside of dls could beat or hang with folsom...i think folsom beats central by 2 tds maybe 3 but 2 at least...also of pitt beats dls to win open i am sure folsom gets nod for state bowl game against most likely sjb....pitt has multiple losses and doesnt have sos as folsom does and folsom is playing at a level very few teams are outside the big 4 of sjb md cent and dls

And CV played a brutal schedule as well right? Murphy is probably the best at running his scheme in california maybe the nation. however, it seems they are down a bit this year BUT they in the open again. tell me one thing how does CV lose to Antioch? A great team does not lose games that they should win. Antioch lost to Liberty 52-0 and probably more but liberty called off the dogs. Yes i believe it will be a fun game to watch ad if CV goes for it on 4th down and does not extend drives that could be a killer . they cant stop liberty offense.... liberty 35-21... NEXT

You are right about the Open criteria being a mess, but I disagree with scheduling bad teams. I believe you schedule above your teams level to push them. Beating a bunch of cream puffs will do no good in the long run. It won't prepare them for the playoffs/bowl games with legit teams.
Debatable. It will possibly work big time for Liberty. I think Liberty would be perfectly happy with going 10-0 vs. a mediocre schedule at best, going to NCS Open championship game and continue playing in NorCal and potentially State. They celebrated the NCS d1 championship last year (as did a lot of local media) as if it were a real championship. Same can be said for Clayton. Most D1 teams in the NCS actually. Too many teams in NCS willingly embrace their plight when it comes to DLS.

Reactions: Truthhertz
Debatable. It will possibly work big time for Liberty. I think Liberty would be perfectly happy with going 10-0 vs. a mediocre schedule at best, going to NCS Open championship game and continue playing in NorCal and potentially State. They celebrated the NCS d1 championship last year (as did a lot of local media) as if it were a real championship. Same can be said for Clayton. Most D1 teams in the NCS actually. Too many teams in NCS willingly embrace their plight when it comes to DLS.

This is NCS football sadly. Don’t challenge your team all year get rewarded, hope to be the loser that plays on, complain foul when you can’t beat quality teams because kids have never seen quality competition. Is it any wonder DLS has dominated for so long here?

De La Salle beats Pittsburg 35-14: I think Pitt will hold up well for the most part, but will wear down and give up some bigger runs in the second half. I think DLS will hold Pitt's offense in check

Liberty beats CVC 35-28: High scoring game but I like the versatility of Liberty to win out.

Reactions: remc
Liberty beats CVC 35-28: High scoring game but I like the versatility of Liberty to win out.

I have not seen Liberty play but heard they had trouble with Pitt running game. If that is in fact true, I have to go CV here. Their ability to run and control game and clock in hard to overlook. Of course the wild card here is coaching decisions. Does the coach again jeopardize his team with poor decisions on 4th down or play field position and defense?

I truly believe Folsom would beat Liberty very comfortably. Liberty would score some points but Folsom's defense gets over shadowed by their offense. I was way more impressed with their defense. Liberty defense would not be able to stop Folsom. Would be a fun game to watch though.

Reactions: Paloma and remc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT