ADVERTISEMENT

The Way, Way Back Machine

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Sometimes, you get lucky. While rummaging through some faded files in a soiled cardboard box hidden away in a dank upstairs closet that has the faint aroma of ancient sweat socks, there it was: The Chronicle's 1968 late-season prep football rankings (most of the best teams had finished their seasons) for all of NorCal, from the Oregon border south to Fresno and associated rural environs. The Chron at that time covered high school sports very well. Tim Gartner was the prep editor in those days. What follows is his NorCal Top 20 published just prior to Thanksgiving Day:

1. (tie) Alameda, 9-0 and Serra, 9-1
3. Mira Loma, 10-0
4. Edison, 9-1
5. Los Altos, 9-0
6. Pleasant Hill, 8-0-1
7. Woodside, 8-0-1
8. Vallejo, 8-1
9. Sequoia, 7-1
10. Ayer, 8-0
11. Tracy, 10-0
12. Monterey, 8-0-1
13. South San Francisco, 8-0-1
14. Coalinga, 9-1
15. Fresno, 7-1
16. St. Francis, 8-2
17. Hayward, 7-1-1
18. Hogan, 8-1
19. Arroyo, 7-0-1
20. Sanger, 9-1.

Note: Until this month, the 1968 season was the only previous time that Serra was rated No.1 in NorCal during the regular season. And that was a tie with the Hornets. The Padres have been fielding a varsity since the 1946 season. By the way, that 1968 list includes St. Ignatius, 6-4, as an honorable mention. The SI QB on that team: Dan Fouts, a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

Sometimes, you get lucky. While rummaging through some faded files in a soiled cardboard box hidden away in a dank upstairs closet that has the faint aroma of ancient sweat socks, there it was: The Chronicle's 1968 late-season prep football rankings (most of the best teams had finished their seasons) for all of NorCal, from the Oregon border south to Fresno and associated rural environs. The Chron at that time covered high school sports very well. Tim Gartner was the prep editor in those days. What follows is his NorCal Top 20 published just prior to Thanksgiving Day:

3. Mira Loma, 10-0
4. Edison, 9-1
5. Los Altos, 9-0
6. Pleasant Hill, 8-0-1
7. Woodside, 8-0-1
8. Vallejo, 8-1
9. Sequoia, 7-1
10. Ayer, 8-0
11. Tracy, 10-0
12. Monterey, 8-0-1
14. Coalinga, 9-1
15. Fresno, 7-1
16. St. Francis, 8-2
17. Hayward, 7-1-1
18. Hogan, 8-1
19. Arroyo, 7-0-1
20. Sanger, 9-1.

Note: Until this month, the 1968 season was the only previous time that Serra was rated No.1 in NorCal during the regular season. And that was a tie with the Hornets. The Padres have been fielding a varsity since the 1946 season. By the way, that 1968 list includes St. Ignatius, 6-4, as an honorable mention. The SI QB on that team: Dan Fouts, a Pro Football Hall of Famer.
Edison had 10 players that ran under 10 seconds in the 100 yard dash. And 4 of those were linemen. I remember Edison from the 70's. Edison JD Hill.

3. Mira Loma, 10-0
4. Edison, 9-1
5. Los Altos, 9-0
6. Pleasant Hill, 8-0-1
7. Woodside, 8-0-1
8. Vallejo, 8-1
9. Sequoia, 7-1
10. Ayer, 8-0
11. Tracy, 10-0
12. Monterey, 8-0-1
14. Coalinga, 9-1
15. Fresno, 7-1
16. St. Francis, 8-2
17. Hayward, 7-1-1
18. Hogan, 8-1
19. Arroyo, 7-0-1
20. Sanger, 9-1.

Serra's only loss was to Vallejo. I think the score was 21-20. The Padres led 20-0 at home at the end of the third quarter, but the Apaches scored on the first play of the fourth quarter, then added two more TDs to win. I'm guessing they are not called the Apaches any more. That was the only game Serra played without Tom Scott who was injured. Scott later started at the U of Washington and won 5 Grey Cups with the Edmonton Eskimos. Three players off that 1968 Serra team were drafted by NFL teams. I believe an Alameda star at the time was Eric Cross who also starred at Stanford. Riordan was good back then with Carl Braboy and Ralph LaMar in the backfield.

Reactions: Rmbr26 and FBAddict
Serra's only loss was to Vallejo. I think the score was 21-20. The Padres led 20-0 at home at the end of the third quarter, but the Apaches scored on the first play of the fourth quarter, then added two more TDs to win. I'm guessing they are not called the Apaches any more. That was the only game Serra played without Tom Scott who was injured. Scott later started at the U of Washington and won 5 Grey Cups with the Edmonton Eskimos. Three players off that 1968 Serra team were drafted by NFL teams. I believe an Alameda star at the time was Eric Cross who also starred at Stanford. Riordan was good back then with Carl Braboy and Ralph LaMar in the backfield.
Riordan was a serious factor in 1969.

Reactions: Rmbr26
Great information!!!!

Edison had 10 players that ran under 10 seconds in the 100 yard dash. And 4 of those were linemen. I remember Edison from the 70's. Edison JD Hill.
This was my senior year in high school, and Edison was in our league (Central California Conference, consisting of Lodi, Edison, Stagg, Franklin, Modesto, Downey, Davis, Turlock, and Merced) and they had speed to burn. They had several years in a row in the late 60's with outstanding teams. My brother played with JD Hill in a summer all-star game in 1966. In 1970 Edison was undefeated, led by future NFL running back Willard Harrell, when they came to Turlock. Turlock shut them out 14-0 en route to a 10 - 0 season.

More on JD Hill (he went by Jimmie in high school). He was a track star, finishing second in the state meet in the 100 and 220 (yards), and also played baseball. He was a star at Arizona St. and in the NFL. And his son Lonzell Hill played at U. of Washington and four years with the New Orleans Saints.

Reactions: FBAddict
Mira loma!! Home to the perfect SAT and worse football in America. I don’t know if they even have a team to be honest. There Focus is on STEM

It's easy to laugh at Mira Loma now, but that was basically the birthplace of the Wing-T as far as NorCal is concerned -- the offense that was pervasive among high school offenses in the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's.

Don Brown and Gerry Kundert. Brown masterminded the Wing-T offense while Kundert was the DC.

Brown brought the Delaware Wing-T to ML in the 1960's and greatly influenced the likes of Randy Blankenship (still coaching at Aptos), Dave Humphers, Ed Lombardi, Mike Alberghini, Joey Montoya, Mike Dimino, and Terry Stark, among others.

While not known for football now, nor really since Kundert left the program in 1986 -- the Matadors were once a program many tried to emulate. Outside of Cordova and possibly Placer, no medium or large school program in the SJS was enjoying more success than ML.

They won 27 consecutive games from 1966-1969 and were among the 1st large schools programs in the SAC area to post back-to-back perfect seasons.

In 1972 they finished 12-0 and swept the inaugural large school Capital City Championships (the precursor to the current CIF Playoffs system we now have), defeating both Cordova and Yuba City.

On the whole, the Matadors under Don Brown (1961-1978) and Gerry Kundert (1979-1986) posted a W/L record of 183-72-4, with 16 league titles in the very competitive Capital Valley Conference.

Like a lot of older schools, ML was affected by the explosion of new schools and changing demographics, with families continually moving to the suburbs.

ML had a short revitalization in 1995/1996 when Terry Stark led them to a 17-4 record during the early years of his long coaching career.

TRam great knowledge and history lesson ! NCP should grant you a year's membership on the strength of that memory contribution. ThankYou Sir.

I wish my memory was that good. I had to fact check myself before posting, specifically on the years.

• Haha
Reactions: THEOC89
Hey, it's bonus time here at Prep Central. Another search of the closet revealed The Chronicle's 1969 final top 20. The closet, such as it is, continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. Here is the list:

1. Alameda, 9-0
2. Mission San Jose, 9-0
3. Concord, 9-0
4. Alhambra, 9-0
5. Edison (Stockton), 9-1
6 Serra, 9-1
7. Vallejo, 8-0-1
8. Ygnacio Valley, 8-1, and Edison (Fresno), 11-1
10. El Camino (Sacramento), 10-1
11. Mira Loma, 9-1 and Terra Linda, 9-1
12. Berkeley, 8-1
13. Santa Rosa, 8-0-1
14. Dos Palos, 10-0-1
15. Gunn, 9-1
16. Castro Valley, 8-0-1
17. Westmoor, 8-1
18. Overfelt, 9-1
19. Lincoln (SF), 8-1
20. Willow Glen, 8-1 and Sacramento, 8-2

Reactions: ThunderRam
This was my senior year in high school, and Edison was in our league (Central California Conference, consisting of Lodi, Edison, Stagg, Franklin, Modesto, Downey, Davis, Turlock, and Merced) and they had speed to burn. They had several years in a row in the late 60's with outstanding teams. My brother played with JD Hill in a summer all-star game in 1966. In 1970 Edison was undefeated, led by future NFL running back Willard Harrell, when they came to Turlock. Turlock shut them out 14-0 en route to a 10 - 0 season.
And I believe Turlock was 10-0 the next year. Turlock line were beasts that year. I can't remember the name but one of them played in NFL. The Turlock poster for sure knows.

In my heart I will always be a Mira Loma Matador. I was raised at the school in that massive old weight room. That's my family's school and our roots are very deep there. I really hope they can get it turned around but they need help from the CIF...It's a joke they've been forced to compete at D2 for many years when then really more a D5 school athletically. I'm guessing about 80% of their school is IB and will never participate in footlball or any of the big 3.

Hey, it's bonus time here at Prep Central. Another search of the closet revealed The Chronicle's 1969 final top 20. The closet, such as it is, continues to be the gift that keeps on giving. Here is the list:

1. Alameda, 9-0
2. Mission San Jose, 9-0
3. Concord, 9-0
4. Alhambra, 9-0
6 Serra, 9-1
7. Vallejo, 8-0-1
12. Berkeley, 8-1
13. Santa Rosa, 8-0-1
14. Dos Palos, 10-0-1
15. Gunn, 9-1
16. Castro Valley, 8-0-1
17. Westmoor, 8-1
18. Overfelt, 9-1
19. Lincoln (SF), 8-1
That 1969 Alhambra Bulldog undefeated squad was quarterbacked by Norv Turner.

1. Alameda, 9-0
2. Mission San Jose, 9-0
3. Concord, 9-0
4. Alhambra, 9-0
6 Serra, 9-1
7. Vallejo, 8-0-1
12. Berkeley, 8-1
13. Santa Rosa, 8-0-1
14. Dos Palos, 10-0-1
15. Gunn, 9-1
16. Castro Valley, 8-0-1
17. Westmoor, 8-1
18. Overfelt, 9-1
19. Lincoln (SF), 8-1
That was Swann's senior season when he played QB. Who did Serra lose to?

Westmoor? Don't remember them as a power. Was that Gary Lewis' year at RB?

And I believe Turlock was 10-0 the next year. Turlock line were beasts tt year. I can't remember the name but one of them played in NFL. The Turlock poster for sure knows.
My high school class - 1969 - which would have been the 1968 season. Jeff Winans played football, basketball, and went to the state meet in the shot put. At 6'5" and 240 lbs in high school he was was huge for that time, and very agile and a natural athlete. He went to Modesto JC for two years and then USC where he was on their National Championship team. He had an NFL career with the Bills, Raiders, and Tampa Bay. Tragically, he suffered the rest of his life from his football injuries and had to fight to get any kind of help from the NFL that was due him. His wife Brandi wrote a book about him called The Flip Side of Glory which detailed all the ups and downs of his career and their life together. The book ended before his early death at age 60 10 years ago. He had numerous concussions resulting in CTE. His widow Brandi is a motivational speaker and in addition to that has become a very vocal advocate for NFL players getting the attention they need for the injuries they sustain during their careers, particularly from concussions. I grew up with Jeff and played on the basketball team, but I wouldn't really classify him as a friend. He had a prickly personality at times that didn't always sit well with people. At the end of his life he moved back to Turlock, alone as he and Brandi were divorced, and was just a shell of what he had been. He connected with high school friends; one of them, the biggest tackle on the team and someone who had toiled in the trenches with him, found his body.

The year after Turlock's 10 - 0 season they had a good team but not undefeated. They would not have another undefeated season until the short spring season of 2021 when they were 5 - 0.

My high school class - 1969 - which would have been the 1968 season. Jeff Winans played football, basketball, and went to the state meet in the shot put. At 6'5" and 240 lbs in high school he was was huge for that time, and very agile and a natural athlete. He went to Modesto JC for two years and then USC where he was on their National Championship team. He had an NFL career with the Bills, Raiders, and Tampa Bay. Tragically, he suffered the rest of his life from his football injuries and had to fight to get any kind of help from the NFL that was due him. His wife Brandi wrote a book about him called The Flip Side of Glory which detailed all the ups and downs of his career and their life together. The book ended before his early death at age 60 10 years ago. He had numerous concussions resulting in CTE. His widow Brandi is a motivational speaker and in addition to that has become a very vocal advocate for NFL players getting the attention they need for the injuries they sustain during their careers, particularly from concussions. I grew up with Jeff and played on the basketball team, but I wouldn't really classify him as a friend. He had a prickly personality at times that didn't always sit well with people. At the end of his life he moved back to Turlock, alone as he and Brandi were divorced, and was just a shell of what he had been. He connected with high school friends; one of them, the biggest tackle on the team and someone who had toiled in the trenches with him, found his body.

The year after Turlock's 10 - 0 season they had a good team but not undefeated. They would not have another undefeated season until the short spring season of 2021 when they were 5 - 0.
Great story - thank you for sharing!

In my heart I will always be a Mira Loma Matador. I was raised at the school in that massive old weight room. That's my family's school and our roots are very deep there. I really hope they can get it turned around but they need help from the CIF...It's a joke they've been forced to compete at D2 for many years when then really more a D5 school athletically. I'm guessing about 80% of their school is IB and will never participate in footlball or any of the big 3.
It looks like they are D4 now. Does anyone know why they arent in a league this year?

1. Alameda, 9-0
2. Mission San Jose, 9-0
3. Concord, 9-0
4. Alhambra, 9-0
6 Serra, 9-1
7. Vallejo, 8-0-1
12. Berkeley, 8-1
13. Santa Rosa, 8-0-1
14. Dos Palos, 10-0-1
15. Gunn, 9-1
16. Castro Valley, 8-0-1
17. Westmoor, 8-1
18. Overfelt, 9-1
19. Lincoln (SF), 8-1
Westmoor of Daly City, which no longer plays football, had a good team that year. The Rams had a running back named Lewis whose brother (I think his name was Gary Lewis) was a running back for the 49ers. Serra, with Swann at QB, rallied to beat coach Pete Matisi's team. I sat on a grass hill at Westmoor and watched the game.

Reactions: FBAddict
That was Swann's senior season when he played QB. Who did Serra lose to?

Westmoor? Don't remember them as a power. Was that Gary Lewis' year at RB?
Serra lost to Woodside by like 20-7 or something like that. The Padres experimented that game by using Pete Padovan at QB, but the offense struggled. So they moved Swann back to QB, Padovan back to DB and won the rest of their games. No playoffs back then. I don't think the CCS playoffs started til 1971 or 72.

Reactions: Rocknrolus 95361
Serra lost to Woodside by like 20-7 or something like that. The Padres experimented that game by using Pete Padovan at QB, but the offense struggled. So they moved Swann back to QB, Padovan back to DB and won the rest of their games. No playoffs back then. I don't think the CCS playoffs started til 1971 or 72.
Gary Lewis is listed in Wikipedia as having attended Poly. Pretty sure it was his younger brother who played at Westmoor. Daly City had 3 public schools that played football -- Jefferson, Serramonte and Westmoor.

Reactions: colhenrylives
One of Swann's best prep performances came in 1969 vs. Bellarmine. He scored all of Serra's 14 points, playing QB and FS and kicking PATs. He was briefly knocked out of the game on a severe hit by a Bell player but returned to do more damage. Final score was 14-0. Early in the 1990s, the now-defunct Peninsula Times Tribune ran a poll to come up with the greatest prep athlete ever in that region. Swann got the nod.

So you were a couple of years behind Max Goldstein?

One of Swann's best prep performances came in 1969 vs. Bellarmine. He scored all of Serra's 14 points, playing QB and FS and kicking PATs. He was briefly knocked out of the game on a severe hit by a Bell player but returned to do more damage. Final score was 14-0. Early in the 1990s, the now-defunct Peninsula Times Tribune ran a poll to come up with the greatest prep athlete ever in that region. Swann got the nod.
I think he may have scored all the points also in a season-ending 30-6 Serra win at SF. That included running about 60 yards right up the middle on a quarterback sneak. It was a one-score game at halftime and coach Freitas was not happy, threatening to have team's post-game party canceled.

So you were a couple of years behind Max Goldstein?
I was class of 1969, Goldstein class of 1970. He was a fantastic athlete, great guy. A rare breed anymore, the three-sport player. I know he was league MVP in basketball and played in a summer North - South California all star game at the Oakland arena and did quite well, and I think he was league MVP in football and baseball, and should have been if he wasn't. The Central California Conference then was one of the top leagues in Northern California. There was no media like there is now for recruiting so I don't know how many schools were after him but there were a lot, and he ended up at Stanford. There were quite a few good athletes in my class (certainly not me, I was a scrub on the basketball team) and a number played on various levels of colleges. There was also a number who received special recognition and lifetime athletic passes for lettering in three sports for four years. Things were totally different then as far as training and opportunity compared to now. Players are bigger and stronger now (in my yearbook for the football team it proudly bragged that the offensive line averaged 220 lbs., although that was skewed by two weighing 245 and 265, and in 1957 Turlock had an undefeated team that was ranked in the top two in the state with a line averaging 170 lbs.), but the three-sport star is a rarity. Many people in the know say it's better to play multiple sports as the different muscles used make a better athlete, but the training camps and travel leagues for single sports is a major industry, and the genie is not going back in the bottle on that one.

I was class of 1969, Goldstein class of 1970. He was a fantastic athlete, great guy. A rare breed anymore, the three-sport player. I know he was league MVP in basketball and played in a summer North - South California all star game at the Oakland arena and did quite well, and I think he was league MVP in football and baseball, and should have been if he wasn't. The Central California Conference then was one of the top leagues in Northern California. There was no media like there is now for recruiting so I don't know how many schools were after him but there were a lot, and he ended up at Stanford. There were quite a few good athletes in my class (certainly not me, I was a scrub on the basketball team) and a number played on various levels of colleges. There was also a number who received special recognition and lifetime athletic passes for lettering in three sports for four years. Things were totally different then as far as training and opportunity compared to now. Players are bigger and stronger now (in my yearbook for the football team it proudly bragged that the offensive line averaged 220 lbs., although that was skewed by two weighing 245 and 265, and in 1957 Turlock had an undefeated team that was ranked in the top two in the state with a line averaging 170 lbs.), but the three-sport star is a rarity. Many people in the know say it's better to play multiple sports as the different muscles used make a better athlete, but the training camps and travel leagues for single sports is a major industry, and the genie is not going back in the bottle on that one.
Max was coach Lou's right hand man. One of the reasons Escalon has been so dominate in small school football.

Gary Lewis is listed in Wikipedia as having attended Poly. Pretty sure it was his younger brother who played at Westmoor. Daly City had 3 public schools that played football -- Jefferson, Serramonte and Westmoor.
You're correct parkdale as it was Gary Lewis younger brother in the Serra-Westmoor game as I was there.
The younger brother [trying to remember his name] was a load just like his older bro.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT