ADVERTISEMENT

USF roster

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Welcome to the United Nations. This season's 14-woman USF roster features 11 foreign players, three from the U.S., none from California. Whew.

Any word on how good they will be this year? Recruiting worldwide through the FIBA championships has gained popularity in recent years.

The competition for California girls is brutal, and there are more than a few who don't want to deal with the hassles, dangers and high prices of life in San Francisco. International students are more likely to be attracted to the City, especially if the team features many from overseas.

The competition for California girls is brutal, and there are more than a few who don't want to deal with the hassles, dangers and high prices of life in San Francisco. International students are more likely to be attracted to the City, especially if the team features many from overseas.

That is a good point Clay. Where some see SF as a negative, international students can see it as a positive destination if they want to come to the states.

Room and Board is about 15k, which is very good for SF. I've always thought USF could be a power because San Francisco is a destination city in California. A lot of kids do not want stay close to home and USF hasn't proven itself as a powerhouse that keeps strong local kids. I'm sure MG will do a good job of that in the next couple years.

Room and Board is about 15k, which is very good for SF. I've always thought USF could be a power because San Francisco is a destination city in California. A lot of kids do not want stay close to home and USF hasn't proven itself as a powerhouse that keeps strong local kids. I'm sure MG will do a good job of that in the next couple years.

...but does she even want to?

Recruiting is about relationships and reputation. There are a lot of programs that are potential sleeping giants if they bring in the right head coach. Some coaches are building their programs through character and relationships and it is leading to more and more talent which ultimately leads to more wins. Any strong coach needs to keep their best local players home (assuming the player is of the caliber of their program, naturally). Players and families need to get past the dog and pony show of recruiting and really look deeper. Too many smoke and mirrors to not do your homework. There are some amazing people out there doing tremendous things and there are others that preach/sell one thing but in reality demonstrate the exact opposite. Do your research, ask hard questions, talk to lots of people. The info is out there for each program. Find the right fit and don't fall for the masquerade.

Recruiting is about relationships and reputation. There are a lot of programs that are potential sleeping giants if they bring in the right head coach. Some coaches are building their programs through character and relationships and it is leading to more and more talent which ultimately leads to more wins. Any strong coach needs to keep their best local players home (assuming the player is of the caliber of their program, naturally). Players and families need to get past the dog and pony show of recruiting and really look deeper. Too many smoke and mirrors to not do your homework. There are some amazing people out there doing tremendous things and there are others that preach/sell one thing but in reality demonstrate the exact opposite. Do your research, ask hard questions, talk to lots of people. The info is out there for each program. Find the right fit and don't fall for the masquerade.

Very well-said. Words to live by for sure.

Reactions: CW Golden Eagles
not all Americans or Californians think SF is all that great... congested..cold..over priced...gentrification...

not all Americans or Californians think SF is all that great... congested..cold..over priced...gentrification...

and a majority of people in the world think it is awesome. It's no wonder why SF is among the best destination spots in the world. I think that's what they're saying...it should be able to attract a lot of talent.

As for local recruiting, who on USF's staff has ANY Bay Area ties? I've never understood this about coaches...unless you're a BIG name and have deep recruiting pipelines, why not hire someone with Bay Area ties OR take a chance on a solid AAU/HS coach that has good relationship with a lot of coaches?

and a majority of people in the world think it is awesome. It's no wonder why SF is among the best destination spots in the world. I think that's what they're saying...it should be able to attract a lot of talent.

As for local recruiting, who on USF's staff has ANY Bay Area ties? I've never understood this about coaches...unless you're a BIG name and have deep recruiting pipelines, why not hire someone with Bay Area ties OR take a chance on a solid AAU/HS coach that has good relationship with a lot of coaches?

Molly is a Stanford product and assisted for a year or two at SH Prep in Atherton during that school's historic multi-year run of utter domination. Didn't she also coach at a NorCal JC for awhile? She has regional ties.

Molly is a Stanford product and assisted for a year or two at SH Prep in Atherton during that school's historic multi-year run of utter domination. Didn't she also coach at a NorCal JC for awhile? She has regional ties.

ties and a pipeline are two different things. Having relationships with JBS, Cal Starts, PE, and high school coaches is what I'm talking about. Molly isn't the most personable person in the world, although I think she's a GREAT coach!

and majority of those people who think that are not nor ever will be mcdonalds all americans or top 100 high school players.... but hey they fill up fishermans wharf and the 80 all weekend with that majority!

and majority of those people who think that are not nor ever will be mcdonalds all americans or top 100 high school players.... but hey they fill up fishermans wharf and the 80 all weekend with that majority!

If a place like Gonzaga (men) or Liberty University (women) can build a a constant winner in the location that they are in, there's no doubt that USF can. Again, my opinion, USF has not had the recruiting pipelines that other universities have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT