ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

With Folsom loss, and if Serra wins this afternoon, next week’s ccs div 1 chamipionship game with Valley Christian means a spot to the NorCal Div 1-AA game.

With Folsom loss, and if Serra wins this afternoon, next week’s ccs div 1 chamipionship game with Valley Christian means a spot to the NorCal Div 1-AA game.

It would certainly seem that would be the case, vs the Central Section winner. 1-A maybe Mack vs SJS D1 winner?

Reactions: ds1968
Not sure what happened with Ryan and Buchanan who are S.I.'s 2 best players. Buchanan was playing at least in part of game and as for Ryan? Zach Taylor Smith passed for 142 yards, but VC rolled up 401 yards offense. Without Buchanan at QB & Ryan catching passes S.I. was doomed in this game. The WCAL now record holder for pass receptions Ryan caught 10 passes the last game vs VC and also caught 10 passes vs Serra - simply unstoppable [shattered the old WCAL record]. Take away Buchanan running & scrambling & throwing to Ryan and Wildcats had their backs against the wall with that tremendous VC defense.

Not sure what happened with Ryan and Buchanan who are S.I.'s 2 best players. Buchanan was playing at least in part of game and as for Ryan? Zach Taylor Smith passed for 142 yards, but VC rolled up 401 yards offense. Without Buchanan at QB & Ryan catching passes S.I. was doomed in this game. The WCAL now record holder for pass receptions Ryan caught 10 passes the last game vs VC and also caught 10 passes vs Serra - simply unstoppable [shattered the old WCAL record]. Take away Buchanan running & scrambling & throwing to Ryan and Wildcats had their backs against the wall with that tremendous VC defense.
Buchanan stars for the 'Cats by playing QB and LB. Pretty tough to not get dinged up playing a deep and talented squad like VC. Congrats to the 'Cats on a great season and best of luck to VC as they move on...

Reactions: CityVibesII
im not sure on Ryan, but I did see Buchanan on crutches with ice wrap on the left foot.

Bizarre call by refs in 1rst quarter Serra - Wilcox assists Wilcox in 1rst TD for 7-0 lead.

Wilcox on about Serra 25 with a 3rd and 9. Wilcox lineman jumps offsides, appears upset with himself and Serra side of field erupts expecting a 5-yard offsides.
Refs get together and march off a 15-yard penalty against Serra down to their own 10 yard line. No explanation of call and the ball was never snapped on play[?]. Fan's yelling from stands "What's the call?" but none given [??}

Ryan and three other SI starters had the flu at game time. They all played but had to skip plays at times to rest. Buchanan injured his ankle, to what degree unknown. SI was also missing one of their RBs because of a hammy. This was a great SI team lead by a group of seniors at the skill positions including 7 starters who did not play football last year (they all played basketball, soccer or lacrosse), along with many juniors contributing on both sides of the line as well as at other positions. Buchanan (among a few others) was the team leader and one heck on a football player who (imo) should be WCAL player of the year. Ryan is the best receiver that I have seen in the WCAL. SI was a very entertaining team to watch week to week and provided a fresh look for the WCAL. This will be a program to watch in the years to come that has an outstanding coaching staff who are just as committed to developing young men as they are to making them better football players.

Congrats to Valley Christian who was very impressive last night. They will be very hard to beat the rest of the way.

Serra 7 Wilcox 7 Half
Pads had 4th and 3 at wilcox 25 and go for 41 yard FG and miss.
Game is very even so far. Serra offense has been inconsistent and Wilcox having success in time consuming sustained drives.Will be interesting to see the adjustments after half. Wilcox is a very well coached team. Defense i quick and disciplined and offensive line is small but very quick. Reminds me of DLS type line. They line up perfectly and fire out. Wilcox RBs are very quick and tough. Serra has speed at the skill positions but Wilcox DBs cover WRs well and defense pressuring QB well. Serra has big play capability. If Serra defense picks up they should win this game but Wilcox could also make it a grind em out game. Serra isn't the same without their senior QB on offense. Wilcox is much smaller size team but quick and played a pretty good half. I believe each as a turnover - Wilcox fumble and Serra an INT

Serramup 20-7 to start the 4th and Wilcox will have the ball. Serra has pinned Wilcox deep in their own territory and then had 2 good punt returns to give the Padres great field position resulting in 2 scores. Not a good day passing for Serra as few completions for number of passes thrown, an INT and missed open WR's. Serra's young QB is good at some things but throwing deep is not one of them unfortunately. NOw in the 4th Wilcox is starting to throw more knowing time is a factor down 2 scores with just over 10 minutes remaining.

Final Score Serra 27-14 over Wilcox.

Wilcox cost itself dearly with the 3 lost fumbles which played a big part in this game. I'll be curious to see final stats as I don;t think the 2 teams will be that far apart. Serra's special teams especially their punter came up big in the 2nd 1/2 and several kicks pinned Wilcox deep in their own red zone. Serra's last score was a gift from WIlcox and a play you don't see often. Wilcox starting from their own 20 and QB through a pass out to a wide receiver who'd stepped back from LOS. A Serra DB raced in and swatted the ball backwards as it reached the WR. At that point most players stopped however the alert Serra player chased the ball into the end zone and recovered it as he'd realized what most other players didn't - that it was a lateral pass backwards and therefore a loose ball after being batted. After a short huddle it was ruled a Serra TD.
There were a couple of odd penalties of which I mentioned one against Serra already and one late in game against Wilcox. Serra in the 4th had held Wilcox on a 4th and goal from the 1-yard line and took over possession on the 1.
Serra faked the run and tossed the ball over the line towards the tight-end as he was grabbed by a Wilcox defender.
With fans screaming interference a very late flag came in. Now remember Serra was on the 1-yard line and the short pass was probably 6-8 yards. After a brief discussion the refs marched the ball out to the 30 yard line to which I have no idea how they came up with a 29-yard penalty [?]..
In the end Serra was too deep and too much talent for Wilcox. Had Serra had QB Daylin McLemore for this game it could have been much worse. With or without McLEmore though Serra with its new soph QB has won 3 of 4 against top teams and heads to the CCS Div I Championship.

Last edited:
Final Score Serra 27-14 over Wilcox.

Wilcox cost itself dearly with the 3 lost fumbles which played a big part in this game. I'll be curious to see final stats as I don;t think the 2 teams will be that far apart. Serra's special teams especially their punter came up big in the 2nd 1/2 and several kicks pinned Wilcox deep in their own red zone. Serra's last score was a gift from WIlcox and a play you don't see often. Wilcox starting from their own 20 and QB through a pass out to a wide receiver who'd stepped back from LOS. A Serra DB raced in and swatted the ball backwards as it reached the WR. At that point most players stopped however the alert Serra player chased the ball into the end zone and recovered it as he'd realized what most other players didn't - that it was a lateral pass backwards and therefore a loose ball after being batted. After a short huddle it was ruled a Serra TD.
There were a couple of odd penalties of which I mentioned one against Serra already and one late in game against Wilcox. Serra in the 4th had held Wilcox on a 4th and goal from the 1-yard line and took over possession on the 1.
Serra faked the run and tossed the ball over the line towards the tight-end as he was grabbed by a Wilcox defender.
With fans screaming interference a very late flag came in. Now remember Serra was on the 1-yard line and the short pass was probably 6-8 yards. After a brief discussion the refs marched the ball out to the 30 yard line to which I have no idea how they came up with a 29-yard penalty [?]..
In the end Serra was too deep and too much talent for Wilcox. Had Serra had QB Daylin McLemore for this game it could have been much worse. With or without McLEmore though Serra with its new soph QB has won 2 of 3 against top teams and heads to the CCS Div I Championship.

Isn't it three out of four (VC, HMB and Wilcox)?

Wilcox is going to look back on this disaster and wonder if this one was one of its worst performances in awhile. Mistake after mistake just killed the Chargers. A nightmare on West 20th Avenue.

I think that in addition to the PI on Wilcox on the pass from the 1-yard line, the Chargers were also called for another penalty ... unsportsmanlike conduct maybe.

I think that in addition to the PI on Wilcox on the pass from the 1-yard line, the Chargers were also called for another penalty ... unsportsmanlike conduct maybe.

Yes. The Wilcox coaches were going nuts on the west sideline, raging at the officials in frustration as the warm afternoon turned into a game to forget. The refs finally had enough and tossed some extra laundry on the obvious PI.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Since Serra's starting QB was lost for the season, the formerly high-scoring Padres have become, wait for it, a defensive-oriented team that digs in and plays for field position and is allowing 10 points per game over their last four outings. Who knew?

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
Wilcox is going to look back on this disaster and wonder if this one was one of its worst performances in awhile. Mistake after mistake just killed the Chargers. A nightmare on West 20th Avenue.

This is an edited reply to a post from colhenrylives on a different thread.

To be certain, the Chargers fell victim to many self inflicted mistakes. The fumbles were costly. Not sure if you were at game or watching online, but I was there and I came away with a slightly different perspective. The Padres were helped out quite a bit by some San Mateo County home cooking from the officials on a number of occasions. Two of those calls were or lack there of led to a 14 point swing in the 4th quarter which would have resulted in a much tighter game or even a Wilcox win. The first being the incomplete pass/lateral that went as a recovery and touchdown for Serra. Whether the pass was a lateral or not can be debated, but the official who made the call was not in position to make the call. That’s not the issue. If you were at the game, you could clearly hear an official blow a whistle as soon as the ball hit the ground. That is the reason everyone stopped playing. #1 from then Serra picked up the ball with no resistance. After a lengthy conference, officials stated that the whistle came from the stands. TD Serra. It did not. The play should have been ruled an inadvertent whistle and the down replayed. The second scoring play that went against the Chargers came in the next drive by the Chargers that ended on the Serra goal line. Wilcox has 3rd and goal from the 2 and appeared to score. The officials ruled that the ball carrier was stopped at the half yard line. On 4th and goal, the Chargers once again ran up the middle. The entire Wilcox offensive line and ball carrier ended up in the endzone, but after another very lengthy discussion the officials ruled that the ball down at the one inch line. Multiple video angles show the ball carrier was definitely in the endzone. Take away one score from Serra and add one for Wilcox and that’s a very close game. I thought both defenses played very well. Congrats go out to both teams in a hard hitting battle that was everything a CCS semifinal between top teams should be.

Reactions: FBAddict
Serra got a penalty on what should have been a offsides on Wilcox, and instead of an offsides call Serra got a 15 yard penalty with no explanation at all which lead to Wilcox only TD. Also, did the refs cause all of those Wilcox fumbles?

It seems like every team that loses blames the refs. The refs aren't there to help you win the game. Serra out-played Wilcox today plain and simple.

Reactions: FBAddict
Serra got a penalty on what should have been a offsides on Wilcox, and instead of an offsides call Serra got a 15 yard penalty with no explanation at all which lead to Wilcox only TD. Also, did the refs cause all of those Wilcox fumbles?

It seems like every team that loses blames the refs. The refs aren't there to help you win the game. Serra out-played Wilcox today plain and simple.

That call early in the game was an unsportsmanlike conduct on a Serra player for simulating a snap count. I never said Serra didn’t play well. In fact, I said that their defense played very well. I sited just a couple of the bad calls. There were many more. It’s all about perspective. You don’t have to agree with me. I’m just providing a different point of view. I also said the Chargers were responsible for those fumbles. They’ll have to live with that for an entire off season. That doesn’t change the FACT that officials blew those two calls that directly led to a 14 point swing. I don’t believe we would have seen those same calls if the game was held further down south, but that’s why being the higher seed and having the home field advantage is huge in HS football. You can debate a lot of things that happen during a game, but we’ve all seen enough games to know when the officials really screw up. Serra is a very good team that plays in one of the best leagues on Northern California. They are battle tested and it shows. I thought they were the second best team in NorCal before QB1 got hurt. They’re still a top team just not sure if they’re second best in this part of the state. Next Saturday’s game should be a great rematch between two teams that know each other very well. I’ll be there to see who emerges as the best team in the CCS this year. Good luck to both teams.

I was at the game as a spectator. I didn't have a dog in the fight, as they say. I'd like to get some opinions on a pass interference call against Wilcox early in the third qtr on a long pass down the middle. Wilcox had 2 defenders and the one in front of the receiver went for the ball and batted it away. No PI on him. I don't know if the defender behind the receiver made contact for PI but once the ball is deflected or tipped isn't it irrelevant if there is contact and PI negated?

This is an edited reply to a post from colhenrylives on a different thread.

To be certain, the Chargers fell victim to many self inflicted mistakes. The fumbles were costly. Not sure if you were at game or watching online, but I was there and I came away with a slightly different perspective. The Padres were helped out quite a bit by some San Mateo County home cooking from the officials on a number of occasions. Two of those calls were or lack there of led to a 14 point swing in the 4th quarter which would have resulted in a much tighter game or even a Wilcox win. The first being the incomplete pass/lateral that went as a recovery and touchdown for Serra. Whether the pass was a lateral or not can be debated, but the official who made the call was not in position to make the call. That’s not the issue. If you were at the game, you could clearly hear an official blow a whistle as soon as the ball hit the ground. That is the reason everyone stopped playing. #1 from then Serra picked up the ball with no resistance. After a lengthy conference, officials stated that the whistle came from the stands. TD Serra. It did not. The play should have been ruled an inadvertent whistle and the down replayed. The second scoring play that went against the Chargers came in the next drive by the Chargers that ended on the Serra goal line. Wilcox has 3rd and goal from the 2 and appeared to score. The officials ruled that the ball carrier was stopped at the half yard line. On 4th and goal, the Chargers once again ran up the middle. The entire Wilcox offensive line and ball carrier ended up in the endzone, but after another very lengthy discussion the officials ruled that the ball down at the one inch line. Multiple video angles show the ball carrier was definitely in the endzone. Take away one score from Serra and add one for Wilcox and that’s a very close game. I thought both defenses played very well. Congrats go out to both teams in a hard hitting battle that was everything a CCS semifinal between top teams should be.

I'm not suggesting questionable calls would change the outcome but that scoop and score should have been a dead ball, inadvertent whistle. There were some tough calls against Wilcox to be sure, so I hear ya.

If we are analyzing what ifs, I would say if Serra had not been on it's 3rd string qb Wilcox would have been running clocked very early in this one. I'm not sure how long Serra will sustain this momentum without a mere threat of a vertical passing game .

I was at the game as a spectator. I didn't have a dog in the fight, as they say. I'd like to get some opinions on a pass interference call against Wilcox early in the third qtr on a long pass down the middle. Wilcox had 2 defenders and the one in front of the receiver went for the ball and batted it away. No PI on him. I don't know if the defender behind the receiver made contact for PI but once the ball is deflected or tipped isn't it irrelevant if there is contact and PI negated?

You are correct about that call. As I said, there were many, but that bad call didn’t lead to a score. Wilcox forced a punt later in that series. That call just flipped field position. Might not have mattered they way the rugby style punts flipping field position, anyway. If there was PI on the play, it should have been on Serra’s #1. He clearly made contact coming over the back before the ball got there. It’s all available to watch on demand on the NFHS network.

Last edited:

Santa Ball, I agree. McLemore is a special player and Serra misses his presence on the field. With him on the field, Wilcox wouldn’t have had much of a chance. But I don’t think any of the WCAL teams would have either. There’s no way that Serra loses to SI with him on the field, but injuries happen in football. Most teams have very good players that are injured this time in the season. It’s only the very lucky teams that are at 100% at this time of the year. Let’s hope for another exciting, close and hard fought game like last year’s CCS DII Championship between VC and SF. Gotta love some good HS football. See you on Saturday in the stands.

I'm not suggesting questionable calls would change the outcome but that scoop and score should have been a dead ball, inadvertent whistle. There were some tough calls against Wilcox to be sure, so I hear ya.

If we are analyzing what ifs, I would say if Serra had not been on it's 3rd string qb Wilcox would have been running clocked very early in this one. I'm not sure how long Serra will sustain this momentum without a mere threat of a vertical passing game .

That last sentence says it all. The limited Serra offense is living on borrowed time. That big-time defense of VC looms. Look for another very low-scoring affair this coming weekend in San Jose.

That last sentence says it all. The limited Serra offense is living on borrowed time. That big-time defense of VC looms. Look for another very low-scoring affair this coming weekend in San Jose.

Due to the larger stage of playoff games it simply may be too many fans are expecting too much of Serra's new & young QB, yet of which the team has produced 3 wins and a 1-point loss in the soph's 4 starts all against quality teams. QB Lampkin is very good at some things and simply lacking the experience that comes over time from playing. The Good: as I stated previous he is one slippery mutha & difficult to corral, he is fast and elusive and often runs for gains/first downs when nothing there on a pass play as well as escaping pressure. The "Not So Good": gets "happy feet" when he feels pressure in passing situations and backpeddles looking for a way out - sometimes taking sacks for large losses - simply needs to learn when to unload & throw the ball away, in situations where coverage is good sometimes tries to force the throw, such as the INT in the Wilcox end zone with a deflection off a helmet, on long passes holds the ball a bit to long [you can see the hesitation on some plays and needs to unload sooner]. Finally the "X-Factor" which is Lampkins greatest attribute IMO. This "kid" as a soph is a heck of a competitor and doesn't back down at all in tough situations. Prime example is a spectacular effort that Lampkin tried to hurdle a Wilcox player in the 3rd quarter while scrambling at full speed. I knew the penalty was coming, but man what an effort on his part - I think he darn near made it over the defender - crazy!
Anyway Mclemore was "the package", but Padres could do a whole lot worse than Lampkin at QB and the soph will only get better. It'll be interesting to see how far he takes the Padres.

Due to the larger stage of playoff games it simply may be too many fans are expecting too much of Serra's new & young QB, yet of which the team has produced 3 wins and a 1-point loss in the soph's 4 starts all against quality teams. QB Lampkin is very good at some things and simply lacking the experience that comes over time from playing. The Good: as I stated previous he is one slippery mutha & difficult to corral, he is fast and elusive and often runs for gains/first downs when nothing there on a pass play as well as escaping pressure. The "Not So Good": gets "happy feet" when he feels pressure in passing situations and backpeddles looking for a way out - sometimes taking sacks for large losses - simply needs to learn when to unload & throw the ball away, in situations where coverage is good sometimes tries to force the throw, such as the INT in the Wilcox end zone with a deflection off a helmet, on long passes holds the ball a bit to long [you can see the hesitation on some plays and needs to unload sooner]. Finally the "X-Factor" which is Lampkins greatest attribute IMO. This "kid" as a soph is a heck of a competitor and doesn't back down at all in tough situations. Prime example is a spectacular effort that Lampkin tried to hurdle a Wilcox player in the 3rd quarter while scrambling at full speed. I knew the penalty was coming, but man what an effort on his part - I think he darn near made it over the defender - crazy!
Anyway Mclemore was "the package", but Padres could do a whole lot worse than Lampkin at QB and the soph will only get better. It'll be interesting to see how far he takes the Padres.

Rmbr26, I agree that lampkin has done all he can given the situation that has unfolded on w.20 ave. I do think with a full offseason and an install that suits his strengths he will be one to watch in his development as a passer. Man he has some real skills as an elusive speedy runner. He is also looking into the eyes of many seniors in that huddle expecting a lot, so he can certainly handle pressure as evidence of the team record the last few weeks. Facing VC, SI, HMB and a very stout Wilcox, winning teams with winning records, all playoff contenders. I also think you nailed it with what you have seen.

Right now he’s better on the run, outside the pocket passing but the balls are a little off, floating, coming out late. I would guess that 75% of the setup starts in the helmet with what you are seeing and that will most certainly improve with time, film and practice. The mechanics well..., locked front leg, little bend, keeping a throw ready position need some work...

As far as the offense goes, the run game hasn’t really gelled, a committee of home run strike athletes is great when your facing a balance box with vertical pressure on the defense. Right now, you can only spread the field horizontally so much before you are virtually playing red zone all game. I wish Lataimua would see some carries out of spread to get you in 2nd and whole playbook territory. If a defense is more worried about getting beat on a halfback pass in spread its time for the Padres OC to have a conference call with Kyle Shanahan.

I’m looking forward to the VC game, it’s really hard to beat a team twice. Either way I hope our WCAL best gives Central Fresno hell.

Since Serra's starting QB was lost for the season, the formerly high-scoring Padres have become, wait for it, a defensive-oriented team that digs in and plays for field position and is allowing 10 points per game over their last four outings. Who knew?

Serra’s defense is very talented. Beyond Malani, who I believe has around 10 offers, Lataimua is committed to Washington State and Sanchez and Loville both have D1 offers. Lewis is also an excellent corner/kicker who kicks the ball in the end zone on kickoffs the vast majority of the time. It’s not surprising to me that they are doing well on defense as their offense tries to find itself.

Coach Machado to Teddye Buchanon after the VC-SI game: “Hey Bud. You had a great year and The MVP of our league without a doubt was you.”

He is right.

Agreed. Buchanon was dominant on BOTH ends of the ball which is more impressive that he was willing to put himself in harms way playing LB/DE given how integral he is to the offense as the QB.

Reading about how this SI team's key players were actually on campus last year but did not play football just brings back an old school mentality that is sorely missed. Your best athletes played all 3 major sports. This specialty stuff really robs us the general fan and alums the joy of seeing kids/classes collectively put together great sports years.

I do not doubt Riordan wouldve challenged in the top half of the WCAL football season had Monroe and Clark put on the pads this season.

Agreed. Buchanon was dominant on BOTH ends of the ball which is more impressive that he was willing to put himself in harms way playing LB/DE given how integral he is to the offense as the QB.

Reading about how this SI team's key players were actually on campus last year but did not play football just brings back an old school mentality that is sorely missed. Your best athletes played all 3 major sports. This specialty stuff really robs us the general fan and alums the joy of seeing kids/classes collectively put together great sports years.

I do not doubt Riordan wouldve challenged in the top half of the WCAL football season had Monroe and Clark put on the pads this season.

...and if Camp had stayed at Riordan...he's been tearing it up at Terra Nova all year...

Ignoring the officiating topic and the hand-wringing and fretting over teams that we have read all season long as they march to double-digit wins, I just want to know one thing ...will any of CCS title games be livestreamed?

Ignoring the officiating topic and the hand-wringing and fretting over teams that we have read all season long as they march to double-digit wins, I just want to know one thing ...will any of CCS title games be livestreamed?

While not shown as yet on their upcoming games showing the actual teams playing it appears the CCS 5 Division Championship games are scheduled to be live-streamed. It may be similar to the Serra-Wilcox game where it did not show up until very late in the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT