ADVERTISEMENT

What a difference a year makes.....

Honestly, eye test, I think Folsom is close to DLS. I posted on another thread, Folsom simply does themselves no favors playing such a weak schedule leading up to a game like this.

it took Folsom a quarter and a half to adjust to DLSs speed and ability. By then they were down 17-20 points before they knew what hit them. These past 2 games were day and night closer than the Nor Cal Open blowouts Folsom had to DLS with Browning at QB. Folsom is gaining ground on DLS (in fairness, they were way back) due to the athletes they are adding, but until they step up their scheduling, they’ll never be prepared for what DLS brings. Once they got used to the speed of the game, it was a pretty even match up. Not saying Folsom would win, but theyd at least give themselves an honest shot. You could see Folsom figuring things out as the game progressed, and adjusting to the speed and precision. DLS offensive counters and traps still worked, but with less frequency as Folsom began to see them more. Heck Ngata was hobbled, and the run game was pretty much non existent due to Sparty’s big early lead. It’s kind of a bummer for the Bulldogs, as I am not sure they’ll get another shot anytime soon at DLS. They had two good chances these past few years, but they need more experience against that top level competition. They are gonna have their hands full with Serra or Central. DLS, is still the King.

Last edited:
Was anybody watching the same game as me? It was over before half. Folsom had a chance last year, This year it wasn’t close. DLS controlled the line of scrimmage (as always). Only throwing the ball 4-5 times in the first half, while slowing Folsom to only 18 offensive plays. Folsom’s only score in the half was on a 35 yard Timmy “toe tap” in the back of the end zone, excellent catch too.

IMO Folsom moved the ball better in the empty set where Badger got more one on one action. Last 2 mins of the half Folsom went empty and ate up DLS secondary. Before that Ngata was in the backfield DLS shadowed Badger with a safety he couldn’t really get over the top.

Final Take- Folsom is good (obviously) but they do lack discipline and with new coaching in place they will have some bumps in the road. I don’t think Folsom makes a bowl game this year. Richardson did a great job at play calling and mixing it up. Bulldogs were a bit of a 1 trick pony tonight. That being Badger.

Myself and many had similar takes tnite. Folsom has better athletes but DLS does a lot better in the trenches and wins downs more than loses. At times #40 Lynch was getting dominated by somebody far inferior. When he turned it on you could see the talent... but the DLS kids don’t take plays off. Badger was the best player on the field by a lot. Coaching far superior also on sparty side. Gap does seem to be shrinking but also DLS sort of cruised in 2nd and made some uncharacteristics mistakes themselves. Entertaining game.

The year after Sacramento beat Folsom I watched Joe Nagata every offensive play go against Anthony Bradley and he had some serious issues. That same game Elijah Badger(soph) had 250 yards recieving and some td's. I got my head cut off because I said he was the best player on the team. Joe is a great player, hence being at Clemson and playing, but Badger is a step above imo. Face it, Folsom is not on De la Salle's level, not many are. They have to get the Antelopes and Jesuits off the schedule and man up. 14-0 last year in Hale's 1st Varsity start, different kid now.

Anyone hear about ticketing issues that went down at folsom? I read on Twitter that many DLS fans had to watch from the ridge.

Anyone hear about ticketing issues that went down at folsom? I read on Twitter that many DLS fans had to watch from the ridge.

What was the ‘issue’? Was there an actual problem, or was it that a bunch of fans showed up to an event that had ‘pre-sale’ tickets, and was sold out in advance?

What was the ‘issue’? Was there an actual problem, or was it that a bunch of fans showed up to an event that had ‘pre-sale’ tickets, and was sold out in advance?

864- The suggestion on a Twitter thread, tagged to Mitch Stephens and Sabredera wasn’t overly detailed (thus my inquiry to anyone that might have knowledge). Link is embedded above, states only 80 tickets available for DLS. I would imagine a game of this nature would be sold out, and pre-sale tickets would be allocated with equity so 80 tickets can’t be accurate??

that’s out there in Twitterverse.

So, they lose by 15 this year and by 14 last year. Tail of two years though. Folsom offense didn't show up last year, and Folsom's defense didn't show up this year. Be great to see them put it together on year.
Pretty simple though, DLS defense last year was legit! Shut out Folsom offense that killed every other Norcal team they played. Folsom defense last year was good, coupled with DLS VERY vanilla offensive gameplan, made for an even better defensive showing.

This year, the Folsom defense is not that good, coupled with DLS offense opening up and being 100 times better than last year. DLS defense is not as good as last year, not even close right now and Folsom has enough talent to score some points. Pretty much though, DLS dominated this game and score not a true representation of what happened on the field.

Honestly, eye test, I think Folsom is close to DLS. I posted on another thread, Folsom simply does themselves no favors playing such a weak schedule leading up to a game like this.

it took Folsom a quarter and a half to adjust to DLSs speed and ability. By then they were down 17-20 points before they knew what hit them. These past 2 games were day and night closer than the Nor Cal Open blowouts Folsom had to DLS with Browning at QB. Folsom is gaining ground on DLS (in fairness, they were way back) due to the athletes they are adding, but until they step up their scheduling, they’ll never be prepared for what DLS brings. Once they got used to the speed of the game, it was a pretty even match up. Not saying Folsom would win, but theyd at least give themselves an honest shot. You could see Folsom figuring things out as the game progressed, and adjusting to the speed and precision. DLS offensive counters and traps still worked, but with less frequency as Folsom began to see them more. Heck Ngata was hobbled, and the run game was pretty much non existent due to Sparty’s big early lead. It’s kind of a bummer for the Bulldogs, as I am not sure they’ll get another shot anytime soon at DLS. They had two good chances these past few years, but they need more experience against that top level competition. They are gonna have their hands full with Serra or Central. DLS, is still the King.

The year after Sacramento beat Folsom I watched Joe Nagata every offensive play go against Anthony Bradley and he had some serious issues. That same game Elijah Badger(soph) had 250 yards recieving and some td's. I got my head cut off because I said he was the best player on the team. Joe is a great player, hence being at Clemson and playing, but Badger is a step above imo. Face it, Folsom is not on De la Salle's level, not many are. They have to get the Antelopes and Jesuits off the schedule and man up. 14-0 last year in Hale's 1st Varsity start, different kid now.
Great post fella's. I totally agree. Had the Folsom past football staff schedule tougher opponents they may have beaten DLS in one of these games. This is the main reason why so many posters doesn't totally respect Folsom's legitimacy as a national power. Maxpreps has them as the #22 team in the country. To be honest, I can name 3 programs from Georgia that would beat them on a neutral field this year. Grayson, Marietta and McEachern. They would also have hell getting a win against Colquitt County and Buford. So hopefully this national praise is a thing of the past until Folsom starts scheduling a tougher pre-season schedule.

Reactions: THEOC89
Badger played a lot better against DLS this year and last than Joe Ngata did last year!
He is a phenomenal player...BUT.... one thing I noticed is that he WALKED to the line of scrimmage, 80% of the time...I mean WALKED!!! To the point where QB had to stand and wait for him to get set. Maybe he was tired....? He only plays offense! There were other players for Folsom that played both ways and they HUSTLED to the line of scrimmage, everytime. Very disappointing. Not a good look.

Last edited:

Did it really Take Folsom “A Quarter And a Half” to adjust?... Or was is just the natural reaction of a bunch of High School Kids to let down up 28-0 and give up a Questionable TD on a Blatant Offensive PI not Called by the Ref’s???...

I don’t know but 42-14 in the 4th quarter was a Major Step back for Folsom.... It sounds like if they didn’t have Badger and Nagata they would not have even scored....

I didn’t see the game though so I will digress... It’s just hard to say that 42-14 in the 4th quarter was any type of “Competitive” game where Folsom “Adjusted” to the speed and Physical play....

Folsom is definitely in trouble this year in D1-AA but hey, it’s hard to “3 Peat”, especially in high school....

Yeah, this ticket thing is a bit of nonsense. I was sitting on the DLS side, as it was easier to get in and more seating available about an hour before game time. But I bought my tickets online a few days ahead of time.

While there were some Folsom fans in Folsom colors on the DLS side, it was overwhelming littered with green and silver. So there was a large DLS contingent in attendance.

The gentleman next to me was the grandfather of #27 Vanderklugt and he said they weren’t gonna allow him in but did once he told them that his grandson was on the DLS team.

What the real issue seemed to be was exactly what @mrbig864 said. There were over 4,000 tickets pre-sold online during the week. So people that showed up on game day that didn’t arrive early enough to grab whatever tickets remained were being turned away.

The gentleman next to me was upset at the DLS administration for not giving the parents/family a heads up about buying pre-sale to ensure they got a ticket.

I actually liked how the tickets were distributed online because it avoided the long ticket lines that occur on game days. However, since most HS games aren’t operated like that I believe it caught many fans off guard that expected to get to the venue early to buy at the ticket booth. Unfortunately there just were all that many tickets left.

But anybody that had tickets walked into the stadium with no issues as far as I’m aware.

That Marciano tweet is ridiculous. There were far more than 80 DLS fans in that stadium. I would guess at least 1K.

Yeah, this ticket thing is a bit of nonsense. I was sitting on the DLS side, as it was easier to get in and more seating available about an hour before game time. But I bought my tickets online a few days ahead of time.

While there were some Folsom fans in Folsom colors on the DLS side, it was overwhelming littered with green and silver. So there was a large DLS contingent in attendance.

The gentleman next to me was the grandfather of #27 Vanderklugt and he said they weren’t gonna allow him in but did once he told them that his grandson was on the DLS team.

What the real issue seemed to be was exactly what @mrbig864 said. There were over 4,000 tickets pre-sold online during the week. So people that showed up on game day that didn’t arrive early enough to grab whatever tickets remained were being turned away.

The gentleman next to me was upset at the DLS administration for not giving the parents/family a heads up about buying pre-sale to ensure they got a ticket.

I actually liked how the tickets were distributed online because it avoided the long ticket lines that occur on game days. However, since most HS games aren’t operated like that I believe it caught many fans off guard that expected to get to the venue early to buy at the ticket booth. Unfortunately there just were all that many tickets left.

But anybody that had tickets walked into the stadium with no issues as far as I’m aware.

That Marciano tweet is ridiculous. There were far more than 80 DLS fans in that stadium. I would guess at least 1K.

TR, good info. Safe to say the tweet was full of b.s. there's no way that 80 figure passed the smell test. Unfortunate if communication was an issue but even that seems far fetched for a game like this. Thxs

Reactions: ThunderRam
...It sounds like if they didn’t have Badger and Nagata they would not have even scored....

Wow, way to go out on a limb with that hot take. Thanks for enlightening us all about a high school football team, who has two 4/5 star recruits, and if they didn’t have those players, they wouldn’t be as good. Good Stuff. SMH

That amazing take helped me come up with a few of my own:

“If the 49ers didnt have Montana and Rice, we would’ve won the Super Bowl”
-The Cincinnati Bengals

“If the Bulls wouldn’t have had Jordan and Pippen, I think we’d have won the series”
-Karl Malone

“Seems like if the Giants didn’t have Madison Bumgartner, we may have beat the Giants”
-Kansas City Royals

“If only Shaq and Kobe wouldn’t have been on the Lakers, we’d be wearing a ring”
-Every Sacramento Kings and Portland Trailblazer fan

Your tweet is partially true. At the time that picture was taken and posted, the Folsom people at the visitor side were not letting anybody in unless they had a pre-purchased ticket. I purchased my tickets on-line but had friends there that hadn't. The Folsom people at the gate said, "we are sold out..BUT...if you wait here depending on how many Folsom people don't sit on the visitor side, we MAY sell additional tickets." My friends finally got in about 10 minutes before gametime, when there were open seats. So how do you "sell out" and then have tickets available to purchase after???

Wow, way to go out on a limb with that hot take. Thanks for enlightening us all about a high school football team, who has two 4/5 star recruits, and if they didn’t have those players, they wouldn’t be as good. Good Stuff. SMH

That amazing take helped me come up with a few of my own:

“If the 49ers didnt have Montana and Rice, we would’ve won the Super Bowl”
-The Cincinnati Bengals

“If the Bulls wouldn’t have had Jordan and Pippen, I think we’d have won the series”
-Karl Malone

“Seems like if the Giants didn’t have Madison Bumgartner, we may have beat the Giants”
-Kansas City Royals

“If only Shaq and Kobe wouldn’t have been on the Lakers, we’d be wearing a ring”
-Every Sacramento Kings and Portland Trailblazer fan

Sorry Man... I must have hit a Nerve or Something....

So how do you "sell out" and then have tickets available to purchase after???

Great question. Unfortunately I don’t have an answer.

But I do know that there is a limit they can allow in. I recall playoff games played on FRI and SAT nights back in 2009 at the same location. The fire marshal was on hand to stop the venue from allowing more fans into the stadium so they did the same thing the fans did last night — which was to congregate outside the stadium.

Maybe they were allowing folks in when they shouldn’t have? Or perhaps not all tickets sold had been redeemed allowing them to let more folks in. Your guess is as good as mine.

To bring up a different topic, was anybody else bothered by the officiating last night? I’m not talking about penalty calls one way or the other, but rather that the crew working the game never communicated what was going on.

Not only was the head official not announcing penalties over the PA, they wouldn’t even signal first downs or who had possession of the ball on fumbles or onside kicks. The only way you knew a first down was gained was when the chains moved. But there was no communication or signaling of first downs, penalties or possession of the ball.

I don’t recall ever seeing a crew behave the way this one did. It was difficult to know what was going on at times.

Utterly ridiculous.

I think we can put the Folsom vs De la Salle debate to bed. De la Salle is the better team and should be the only team considered to rep the north in the open division.....Folsom is by far the 2nd best team with Pittsburg/St Marys/Serra a tier below Folsom IMO.....
Maybe I'm nuts but I think Serra is closer to knocking off De La Salle than Folsom just based on matchups.

I think we can put the Folsom vs De la Salle debate to bed. De la Salle is the better team and should be the only team considered to rep the north in the open division.....Folsom is by far the 2nd best team with Pittsburg/St Marys/Serra a tier below Folsom IMO.....
Maybe I'm nuts but I think Serra is closer to knocking off De La Salle than Folsom just based on matchups.

Heaven knows the Padres, with some of their better teams, tried to defeat DLS over the years. It never happened. They got close twice but could not pull it off.

Heaven knows the Padres, with some of their better teams, tried to defeat DLS over the years. It never happened. They got close twice but could not pull it off.
It just seems like Serra matches up better against DLS than Folsom does probably because Serra coach was a Spartan player and probably knows best what they do and how to defend it, the Folsom games haven't really been that close except last year..I think Serra is the first norcal team to get it done one of these seasons in the future

Actually sounds pretty spot on. Liberty has leapfrogged a little but still in that second tier group. But program seems to be on the rise. I think Serra could be right up with Folsom this year.

Your tweet is partially true. At the time that picture was taken and posted, the Folsom people at the visitor side were not letting anybody in unless they had a pre-purchased ticket. I purchased my tickets on-line but had friends there that hadn't. The Folsom people at the gate said, "we are sold out..BUT...if you wait here depending on how many Folsom people don't sit on the visitor side, we MAY sell additional tickets." My friends finally got in about 10 minutes before gametime, when there were open seats. So how do you "sell out" and then have tickets available to purchase after???
This is the same thing I had heard. There is no way it wasn’t intentional. And it would be right in line with my whole Folsom experience. Lucky for me I’m not a DLS fan and I have friends who we’re able to get me a ticket. I highly doubt DLS will ever step foot on Folsom’s field again. It’s to bad because those two teams should play every year. I’d be willing to bet not one Folsom fan was turned away last year. This was definitely a black eye for Folsom both on and off the field.

You are so correct i.e. the way Folsom handled hosting the most important game in their history. Very small minded people in the town of Folsom.

Reactions: Humbab
I was on DLS side and 99% of people were wearing green and the other 1% was high school kids /parents from other teams that may have had a bye.. (think this weeks game)
You gotta be sort of smart peeps. I have no kid on either team. Bought ticket online and walked right thru gate. Do some planning in advance. If you had a kid on either team wouldn’t you know this is the biggest game of the year? I mean you would really have to be far removed from NorCal football.

I wouldn’t blame Folsom. The venue was first class on a perfect night. And you could still see the game like the hundreds or possibly thousands that lined up on the levy behind the visitor bleachers. The snack bar was even easy to get thru as were the bathrooms.

Do some research. You think going to Disneyland might be crowded over spring break?

Reactions: mrbig864
I was on DLS side and 99% of people were wearing green and the other 1% was high school kids /parents from other teams that may have had a bye.. (think this weeks game)
You gotta be sort of smart peeps. I have no kid on either team. Bought ticket online and walked right thru gate. Do some planning in advance. If you had a kid on either team wouldn’t you know this is the biggest game of the year? I mean you would really have to be far removed from NorCal football.

I wouldn’t blame Folsom. The venue was first class on a perfect night. And you could still see the game like the hundreds or possibly thousands that lined up on the levy behind the visitor bleachers. The snack bar was even easy to get thru as were the bathrooms.

Do some research. You think going to Disneyland might be crowded over spring break?
That’s just it Larry. It’s not the biggest game of the year for DLS. You would have to be extremely removed from HSFB to not know that. And I did a little homework before writing this. It was 100% intentional. Folsom never told DLS that they had to buy tickets online. I went to both game’s I guarantee you not one Folsom fan was turned away last year and they also sold tickets online last year. The venue was very nice. In the end I don’t really care I got in no problem. Probably because I’m not a DLS fan. But even if I didn’t know it was intentional I not dumb enough to believe it wasn’t.

It was the biggest game in Norcal so far this year from 2 teams based here. DLS parents and kids knew that. Both top 25 in nation. How can you argue that? I sat with plenty of DLS Alumni who knew that. Most didn't care about the STA game either. I'm not a Folsom or DLS fan. Just wanted to see a good game which in the end it was. I really don't believe it was intentional. Oh well, new week and more games to see.

It was the biggest game in Norcal so far this year from 2 teams based here. DLS parents and kids knew that. Both top 25 in nation. How can you argue that? I sat with plenty of DLS Alumni who knew that. Most didn't care about the STA game either. I'm not a Folsom or DLS fan. Just wanted to see a good game which in the end it was. I really don't believe it was intentional. Oh well, new week and more games to see.
I’m not trying to argue either. It is what it is. I don’t believe you about the STA game but whatever. Most people I’ve talked to down here knew DLS was going to put a beating on them and they weren’t disappointed. It was not close and it was not very good in my opinion. DLS whooped on the for 3 quarters put in their second and third string and gave up two scores in the end. Pretty typical most every week game for DLS. I will say DLS coaches cry to the refs about every little thing.

...put in their second and third string and gave up two scores in the end...

I watched the game, I did not see DLS’ backup defense in the game. Are you just intentionally trying to get a rise out of people by making false statements?

Great post fella's. I totally agree. Had the Folsom past football staff schedule tougher opponents they may have beaten DLS in one of these games.

That's been my primary criticism of them over the years. Not scheduling teams during preseason they expect to be at or above their level. They finally did it with DLS the past 2 seasons, but I think that's because they wanted to fight for a shot at the SBG Open during seasons they expected to be really good and knew they wouldn't get the chance in the Regional anymore.

But they've got to schedule more than just one game. Hell, Capital Christian just scheduled Chandler and got whooped. CT didn't care. He wanted his team to experience that level of football. Even Central Catholic-Modesto has been scheduling opponents over their heads.

There's no reason Folsom couldn't do the same the past 7 years. They'd be better for it IMO.

To be honest, I can name 3 programs from Georgia that would beat them on a neutral field this year. Grayson, Marietta and McEachern. They would also have hell getting a win against Colquitt County and Buford. So hopefully this national praise is a thing of the past until Folsom starts scheduling a tougher pre-season schedule.

You're speculating. Taking a giant leap. There's no evidence to support what you're saying.

Milton just lost to JSerra -- who is ranked below Folsom. And Milton played Buford to within a FG.

We all realize that GA's top teams are pretty good. But nobody really has any clue whether any of those teams would beat Folsom or not and vice versa.

I watched the game, I did not see DLS’ backup defense in the game. Are you just intentionally trying to get a rise out of people by making false statements?
We noticed about half the starters were in the game the final 6-7mins. I know Folsom fans aren’t used to that but most every team in the country (not named Folsom) starts filtering in their non starters when they have a 28 point lead in the fourth quarter. It’s not a big deal I’m not sure how someone would “get a rise” off of that. My point was it really wasn’t a good game. Larry said it was the biggest game of the year. The feeling I got in that stadium was it’s the super bowl for Folsom and just game number four for DLS. And unfortunately I think Folsom blew the opportunity to ever play DLS at home again. They we’re not a very good host at all.

Great post fella's. I totally agree. Had the Folsom past football staff schedule tougher opponents they may have beaten DLS in one of these games. This is the main reason why so many posters doesn't totally respect Folsom's legitimacy as a national power. Maxpreps has them as the #22 team in the country. To be honest, I can name 3 programs from Georgia that would beat them on a neutral field this year. Grayson, Marietta and McEachern. They would also have hell getting a win against Colquitt County and Buford. So hopefully this national praise is a thing of the past until Folsom starts scheduling a tougher pre-season schedule.

Cal Preps Totally Agrees with you regarding Folsom vs GA, Buddy!....

With the Project a Matchup Feature every team you listed beats Folsom by double digits and they even have Valdosta beating Folsom by 9.... :)

I wish I could have seen the Colquitt vs Valdosta game last week, 50-49, had to be the best game of the week!... :)

Some great Football being played in GA right now!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT