ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

Don't forget Terrell lowry who played at tech in 87 and 88 I believe.He went on to play at loyola marymount on those great teams with Hank gathers and bo kimble I believe as a senior he led the ncaa in scoring.He went on to have a professional baseball carear and played briefly with the san Francisco giants.
Another Lowry tidbit. It still may be true but at the time Terell was the only player in NCAA history to ever be top 5 in scoring and assists in same season. 90-91 he averaged 28.5 and 9.

Tuesday Night's Feb 18th Roundup

Congratulations to Archbishop Mitty, Bellarmine and Archbishop Riordan - 2020 WCAL Champions!
  • Mitty 75 @ Valley Christian 54
    • The Monarchs erase any doubt of an upset and win going away and earn a share of the WCAL title.
  • Sacred Heart Cathedral 69 @ Riordan 92
    • Je'Lani Clark lights up the Irish for 30+ points (ARHS, pls confirm) on Senior night. Plays of the night when team manager, Dominic Stevens, hits 2 3 pointers and the Riordan students go beserk. Great stuff. Had to be at least 10 dunks tonight. Former Crusader, Tre MacPherson, scores cloe to 30 points (need to confirm stats) for SHC. Congrats to Riordan as it shares first WCAL title since 2007.
  • Bellarmine 56 @ St. Francis 33
    • No upset tonight as Bellarmine turns it up after the 1st quarter in front of a packed house in Mountain View. Bellarmine also crowned WCAL champs tonight. St. Francis awaits its seeding for a likely CCS Open berth.
  • Serra 44 @ St. Ignatius 33
    • The "Beach Game" in the Sunset has the Padres putting the 'Cats away in the second half. Padres await their seeding in the CCS Open. The young 'Cats await seeding in CCS D3.
WCAL Standings as of Feb 18th - League Wins; Overall Record
  1. Bellarmine 11-3; 21-3
  2. Archbishop Mitty 11-3; 20-4
  3. Archbishop Riordan 11-3; 20-4
  4. Junipero Serra 9-5; 17-7
  5. Saint Francis 6-8; 14-10
  6. Sacred Heart Cathedral 4-10; 9-15
  7. Saint Ignatius 3-11; 8-16
  8. Valley Christian 1-13; 9-15
Congratulations to the 2020 WCAL Champions!
(League; Overall Records)

• Junior Varsity - Bellarmine Bells (14-0; 22-1)
  • Frosh A's - Archbishop Riordan Crusaders (14-0; 21-0 !)
  • Frosh B's - Archbishop Riordan Crusaders (12-2; 19-2)
NEXT UP:
CCS Seedings

Pleased to see that Jelani was was allowed to shine having been at Riordin for 4 years. Great night for all the Seniors!

Reactions: jordan24
Tri - Champs...seems wierd to even type that. Lol. Way to finish for Je'lani tonight. Fun to watch. DSteez got to live out a dream which was enjoyable as well. 2-3 for the 3 point line! SHC fought till the end. Got within 9 points after Riordan took its foot off the gas. Coach Sean has to play the hand he was dealt, should do well in the playoffs again.
Let's see what the seedings will be. See who wants to end up at Maples Pavilion?!

After watching tonight’s game, Riordan should not be afraid to play some of the lesser known players off the bench such as Miller, Quanico, Barer and even Toyo. The core starters/rotation (depending on opponent) should be Bryce, Jelani, Wilson, Vaihola, Mor and Hubbard. Quite frankly, Riiny and Chan’s */- are terrible when the game is tight. Their lack of experience will be exploited in close games. Not a knock on these young men, but their play speaks for themselves The ones I mentioned have a much better basketball IQ and match up much better against a guard/wing oriented team like Mitty. Certainly spell the Riordan bigs with Chan and Riiny if they have a lead or towards the end of a quarter to protect the starters from foul trouble. Oh yeah, what Renard also pointed out.

I have been attending games at the Crusader Forum since 1970 and I cannot recall a more universal applause when the team manager made that 3 (nothing but net). A beautiful moment for us all. I haven't seen a more beautiful two-handed set shot in the post World War II era.

Last edited:
Tri - Champs...seems wierd to even type that. Lol. Way to finish for Je'lani tonight. Fun to watch. DSteez got to live out a dream which was enjoyable as well. 2-3 for the 3 point line! SHC fought till the end. Got within 9 points after Riordan took its foot off the gas. Coach Sean has to play the hand he was dealt, should do well in the playoffs again.
Let's see what the seedings will be. See who wants to end up at Maples Pavilion?!

We'll find out who the unofficial league champion is during Open. There will be no sharing from this point forward. Congrats to you on being recognized last night during Senior night. That is a team (family) effort through and through.

We'll find out who the unofficial league champion is during Open. There will be no sharing from this point forward. Congrats to you on being recognized last night during Senior night. That is a team (family) effort through and through.
Wow. That SI upset of Mitty loomed large.

Reactions: ayalar09
I have been attending games at the Crusader Forum since 1970 and I cannot recall a more universal applause when the team manager made that 3 (nothing but net). A beautiful moment for us all. I haven't seen a more beautiful two-handed set shot in the post World War II era.
That awesome moment made ESPN SportCenter!

For WCAL history buffs (you know who you are), the 2019-20 basketball season marks the first time the league's varsity title has been shared by three schools. That's according to the WCAL website. Additionally, the last time a San Francisco school won a varsity league championship outright was 1999. And here's an addendum that goes way back to the old CAL, the predecessor of the WCAL: Serra and O'Dowd shared the 1960 CAL regular season crown with 10-4 records; Riordan finished third at 9-5. Then Riordan won the new CAL tournament at USF, and the official league championship, by winnowing the field, beating the two leaders, O'Dowd and then Serra twice. No one can say papal hoops aren't ultra-competitive.

Last edited:

Nicely done. Right out of the Dublin playbook from last week. It’s so awesome to reward those team managers that have busted their butts for 4 years, and give them moments they won’t ever forget.

Reactions: Crusaders70
For WCAL history buffs (you know who you are), the 2019-20 basketball season marks the first time the league's varsity title has been shared by three schools. That's according to the WCAL website. Additionally, the last time a San Francisco school won a varsity league championship outright was 1999. And here's an addendum that goes way back to the old CAL, the predecessor of the WCAL: Serra and O'Dowd shared the 1960 CAL regular season crown with 10-4 records; Riordan finished third at 9-5. Then Riordan won the new CAL tournament at USF, and the official league championship, by beating O'Dowd and then Serra twice. No one can say papal hoops aren't ultra-competitive.
And for those around in the 80's, Riordan captured 6 consecutive outright WCAL titles 1985-90. In those 6 seasons, the first four, I recall, were undefeated WCAL seasons. Also, to illustrate how deep those teams were, a different Crusader was named WCAL POY each season. Erik Newman '85, Terrence Mullins '86, Denfield Wade '87, Wayman Strickland '88, Ray Kelly '89 and Dwayne Fontana '90

Nicely done. Right out of the Dublin playbook from last week. It’s so awesome to reward those team managers that have busted their butts for 4 years, and give them moments they won’t ever forget.
Only difference in this playbook is Dominic trained for 5 weeks with strength and conditioning coach, lost weight, etc...just to earn the opportunity to suit up. I was truly happy for him and the support he has received has been awesome.

And for those around in the 80's, Riordan captured 6 consecutive outright WCAL titles 1985-90. In those 6 seasons, the first four, I recall, were undefeated WCAL seasons. Also, to illustrate how deep those teams were, a different Crusader was named WCAL POY each season. Erik Newman '85, Terrence Mullins '86, Denfield Wade '87, Wayman Strickland '88, Ray Kelly '89 and Dwayne Fontana '90

Keep on going... 1993 Jaha Wilson. ... Very un-WCAL like with no sharing in 1995 with ONLY Kennedy but you can argue Vince Smith shouldve also be POY.

Vince Smith...that's my homeboy. Ya dig!!! :)
The 94 and 95 teams would have been dominant if Rashaad Lowry didnt tear his ACL. :(

Reactions: OneDNA
Actually the first three were undefeated seasons, I was class of '88 and the team won the league with a 9-3 record.

Actually the first three were undefeated seasons, I was class of '88 and the team won the league with a 9-3 record.
I stand corrected. Thank you. I don't think you will see that type of WCAL basketball domination ever again.

I stand corrected. Thank you. I don't think you will see that type of WCAL basketball domination ever again.
If I recall, that '88 team was not exceptionally tall, but they had guards/wings that were all ballers.

In the last 20 years which city school has won the most WCAL, CCS, Norcal and State titles? In Basketball.

If I recall, that '88 team was not exceptionally tall, but they had guards/wings that were all ballers.
Troy LeBlanc who was maybe 6'5, 6'6 was our big guy, Wayman Strickland was the team leader, but Ray Kelly, David Benton who was a sharpshooter, and helped make the team tough to contend with. You're right though, they weren't very big. They knocked off Rex Walter's Piedmont Hills team in the CCS Semi-finals that year. They lost a nail-biter to St. Francis in the CCS Final. That year they beat St. Francis by a lot in the city, but lost two close games to them in the south!

In the last 20 years which city school has won the most WCAL, CCS, Norcal and State titles? In Basketball.

This should be a weighted question. Off the top of my head, I can only name Riordan 2002 state champions and SH 2009 state champions. This is only for years since 2000. St. Francis won a state title in 1995.

Sacred Heart would have the most titles since 1999, I went to the WCAL and CCS websites, anyone feel free to correct any mistakes.

St. Ignatius: WCAL 1999, 2000, 2004 CCS: 2004, 2007, 2014

Riordan: WCAL 2001, 2002, 2007, 2020 CCS: 1999, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2016, 2018
Nor-Cal: 2001, 2002
State: 2002
SHC: WCAL: 2002, 2009 CCS: 2002, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019
Nor-Cal: 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013
State: 2009

Reactions: cityfan
CCS Open seedings. This will be interesting to see if who the committee places as #1. Bellarmine with a 21-3 overall while AR and AM are 20-4. I sense there will be a south bay bias. Im for Riordan getting #1 as I want them to have the "easier' path. Desperately want to make the trip up to Golden 1 to see Riordan and SC.

CCS Open seedings. This will be interesting to see if who the committee places as #1. Bellarmine with a 21-3 overall while AR and AM are 20-4. I sense there will be a south bay bias. Im for Riordan getting #1 as I want them to have the "easier' path. Desperately want to make the trip up to Golden 1 to see Riordan and SC.
Not sure how they will seed. Bellarmine played the weaker non conference schedule. Mitty lost to St. Ignatius. All of Riordan losses came to at the hands of ranked opponents with wins over ranked opponents. If they are not the 1 seed at the minimum they should be the 2 seed but since I stated it before it comes out. They might be the 3 seed. Looking forward to the next weeks of high school basketball.

Not sure how they will seed. Bellarmine played the weaker non conference schedule. Mitty lost to St. Ignatius. All of Riordan losses came to at the hands of ranked opponents with wins over ranked opponents. If they are not the 1 seed at the minimum they should be the 2 seed but since I stated it before it comes out. They might be the 3 seed. Looking forward to the next weeks of high school basketball.

There is this that if Riordan is #1 they will play the "32 minutes of motion offense hell" team in Serra as the #4 seed which gave Riordan all they can handle both games in league. Realize you cant dodge your destiny but I dont want to see Serra.

There is this that if Riordan is #1 they will play the "32 minutes of motion offense hell" team in Serra as the #4 seed which gave Riordan all they can handle both games in league. Realize you cant dodge your destiny but I dont want to see Serra.
I personally want them to play whoever they are scheduled to play. Coaches should be well seasoned by now. Players should know their roles by now and big time guys show up in big time games. If you can't win now and adjust, you don't deserve to be here. Win and advance. Keep winning ...

I played for the Crusaders in 90-91 and 91-92 and yes we ended the WCAL title streak BUT.... in 91' Serra pretty much dominated us with McGee and Defoe...we dominated Mitty. With SHC we beat them in the Crudader Classic but they got us in league twice I believe. Then in the WCAL playoffs Mitty shockingly upset Serra. All we needed to do was beat SHC at Bellarmine. I remember like it was yesterday. Purnell Copeland got fouled with 3.2 secs left tie game. What happened next still baffles me to this day the same way it did as I was watching from the bench. Copeland sinks the front end of the 1 & 1. So now I'm thinking put 3 guys back and leave one guy up. Well Isola decided to keep 3 guys up and only Sean Moore back. The next FT bounces high off the back rim, Sean comes sprinting up as Michael Gatewood leaps high in the air, grabs the long rebound and races down court. He misses the wide open lay up but John Gumina tips it in as the buzzer goes off.....and with that the consecutive WCAL title run ends for us Crusaders. And yes it still hurts hahaha

Stand corrected s I
I played for the Crusaders in 90-91 and 91-92 and yes we ended the WCAL title streak BUT.... in 91' Serra pretty much dominated us with McGee and Defoe...we dominated Mitty. With SHC we beat them in the Crudader Classic but they got us in league twice I believe. Then in the WCAL playoffs Mitty shockingly upset Serra. All we needed to do was beat SHC at Bellarmine. I remember like it was yesterday. Purnell Copeland got fouled with 3.2 secs left tie game. What happened next still baffles me to this day the same way it did as I was watching from the bench. Copeland sinks the front end of the 1 & 1. So now I'm thinking put 3 guys back and leave one guy up. Well Isola decided to keep 3 guys up and only Sean Moore back. The next FT bounces high off the back rim, Sean comes sprinting up as Michael Gatewood leaps high in the air, grabs the long rebound and races down court. He misses the wide open lay up but John Gumina tips it in as the buzzer goes off.....and with that the consecutive WCAL title run ends for us Crusaders. And yes it still hurts hahaha
We all remember our last high school games. Very few get to end on winning note. Builds character.

Sacred Heart would have the most titles since 1999, I went to the WCAL and CCS websites, anyone feel free to correct any mistakes.

SHC: WCAL: 2002, 2009 CCS: 2002, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2019
Nor-Cal: 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013
State: 2009

Irish stats look good.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT