ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

CCS Open Seedings/Matchups
1. Mitty vs 8. Menlo
2. Riordan vs 7. St. Francis
3. Bellarmine vs 6. Sacred Heart Prep
4. Menlo-Atherton vs 5. Serra

You can see both the Bellarmine and Mitty games for one ticket on Friday....just might have to sneak up to Santa Clara!

Will any of the quarter final games be streamed by NFHS Network?

Interesting that teams on the same side of the bracket are playing at opposite sites.

I can see how people reading the boards when it comes to Riordan see it as being critical. I know for sure there are many that want this team to be a underachiever. I am critical from the standpoint as I am challenging the staff to be better. I challenge my son to better. Some will say stay in a parents lane, and to some degree I agree . Coaches yell at players, take them out the game, etc... they are being critical right? I don't yell at any coaches or ask them not to coach.
This Riordan team has potential, a lot of potential. One game remaining in league and I think all the true people wishing them well are nervous because of our early exit last season in the playoffs. Someone stated roles and that this team is better than last year because the kids have accepted their roles. Fans question that when a senior player walks up to a junior or sophomore player to explain how a certain situation should go and you witness that underclassmen talk back or not listen. It's also not a good sign to see players sulking during and after games during wins. Riordan doesn't need their 6'8 defenders shooting 3's . Riordan has the roster to do real damage this time of the year.

Offensively vs zone we need to stop clogging the lane with two big guys coming up to the free throw line
- get a baseline runner
- get a player behind the zone
- get some high / low with our bigs

Vs man
- get some two man game with Lani and Bryce
- some backdoor plays for Lani
- pin downs with a guard to big screen for Rob down low
Get some easy baskets for Bryce and Lani
- PUSH THE PACE OF THE GAME

Defensively:
- switch up the D even for just a possession
- use your bigs for a stretch zone
- use your athletes and press sometimes
- half court trap sometimes

Have fun and make other teams adjust to us. If we are going to be predictable then the prediction is an upset looming. My personal opinion is we definitely have the team to accomplish some great things . Hopefully they do .
Renard's points make sense for this Riordan team. The 2-man game with Jelani and Bryce is brilliant. Seriously, who can stop it with the vast amount of options that is presented. There were some nice glimpses of Rob and Mor posting down low or walling off their defender and rolling to the basket the past 2 games. Chan and Riiny really struggle in catching the ball down low. Lots of drops. Keep working on that. Any pass to the bigs needs to be high in the air-either the big gets the ball or no one. There's just too many low passes that gets broken up by shorter players which helps the defense. Keep pushing the pace. Mitty is great in doing this as they are constantly pushing the ball upcourt forcing the defense to stop the ball at the same time the Mitty wings breaking to their spots. I do think players like Miller, Quanico, Barer and even Toyo should get some playing time, especially matched up in lineups that have 3-4 guards. Better defense, basketball IQ and offensive skills IMHO. At the end of the day, it is who wants it more and who's going to step up?

Playoff time - keep it simple coach

Starting 5

Bryce
Jelani
Wilson
Rob
Mor

Agree GOAT

zone defense which you’ll see - get some high low pin action.

Hell I’d flash Mor at the free throw line pull opposing big up with Mor and have Rob pinning his man down low, nice easy drop down pass for a 7’ and Rob knows how to seal his man. Rob eats all day down in the blocks.

baseline short corner touches hit Rob on the dive down, Mor on the dive down.

Rob with some free throw line extended elbow screens for Bryce and Jelani

However I’m not even sure Mor knows what the short corner is in a zone offense?? Not sure they have even flashed Mor free throw line in a zone?

btw If I’m Riordan I’d rather be the 5 seed than the 2 seed. No easy paths, but 2 seed isn’t any easier than the 5 seed.

Reactions: OneDNA
Playoff time - keep it simple coach

Starting 5

Bryce
Jelani
Wilson
Rob
Mor

Agree GOAT

zone defense which you’ll see - get some high low pin action.

Hell I’d flash Mor at the free throw line pull opposing big up with Mor and have Rob pinning his man down low, nice easy drop down pass for a 7’ and Rob knows how to seal his man. Rob eats all day down in the blocks.

baseline short corner touches hit Rob on the dive down, Mor on the dive down.

Rob with some free throw line extended elbow screens for Bryce and Jelani

However I’m not even sure Mor knows what the short corner is in a zone offense?? Not sure they have even flashed Mor free throw line in a zone?

btw If I’m Riordan I’d rather be the 5 seed than the 2 seed. No easy paths, but 2 seed isn’t any easier than the 5 seed.
Whatever the starting 5 is, they must work together and understand their strengths. Play with a purpose. Play their roles to the fullest. It will take a total team effort at this time of year. Coaches and players must be on the same frequency. Believe in one another. Let the players play and the coaches play chess with opposing coaches, motivate and support the players. Keep calm during the storms and lean on the two dudes who have played varsity for 4 years and will be playing college basketball next season.

Vs Zone
  • vary it by running proven shooters on the baseline behind the zone
  • high-low if you have 2 bigs in the lineup
  • backside screens/weakside cuts when the ballhandler drives into the zone
  • pass-pass-pass to keep the defense moving; high passes to the bigs
  • be quick, don't hurry

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Keys. The two studs. Rebounding. Uptempo offense and uptempo pressure defense 94 feet.
PLEASE pressure full length and have the big 7 footer protecting the rim. Uptempo Uptempo! Damn Lee, see we agree on something! Only taken a decade o_O

Reactions: CityVibesII
PLEASE pressure full length and have the big 7 footer protecting the rim. Uptempo Uptempo! Damn Lee, see we agree on something! Only taken a decade o_O
As a player you looked forward to playing different teams in the playoffs. It's kind of messed up that if Riordan does accomplish the goal they will have to play 3 WCAL schools. No other team has to do that.

Reactions: ayalar09
Lets just put this out there that they better take care of business so they can have favorable seeding in Nor Cals and hopefully host 2 home games instead of having to go all the up to Sheldon or CC.

Reactions: cityfan
Exactly. I was talking about pressing in preseason. Nothing new. We do have rim protection. PROTECTORS.

At least set the tone and or try 2.
AND rebounding In all the games the team has lost. THEY have been outrebounded. Especially against Dublin, Serra and Bellermine. AND in second chance points/opportunities.

And yes. Riordan did play shcp 5 times in 2002.

Exactly. I was talking about pressing in preseason. Nothing new. We do have rim protection. PROTECTORS.

At least set the tone and or try 2.
AND rebounding In all the games the team has lost. THEY have been outrebounded. Especially against Dublin, Serra and Bellermine. AND in second chance points/opportunities.

And yes. Riordan did play shcp 5 times in 2002.
It's frustrating to watch the big men fumbling the ball, not catching passes cleanly, and not securing it AFTER getting a rebound...smh.

Last edited:
It's frustrating to watch the big men fumbling the ball, not catching passes cleanly, and not securing it AFTER getting a rebound...smh.

To be fair, I think Riiny and Chan playing hoops is still relatively new to them. Their learning curve is obviously steep. Their biggest contribution this playoff run will be effort, energy, and dont get beat on defense. Having zero turnovers and any points you get from either of them will be a bonus.

Reactions: superle
To be fair, I think Riiny and Chan playing hoops is still relatively new to them. Their learning curve is obviously steep. Their biggest contribution this playoff run will be effort, energy, and dont get beat on defense. Having zero turnovers and any points you get from either of them will be a bonus.
Exactly! Therefore my case to play guys with game and team experience in senior Miller and the young Quanico and Barer against 3-4 guard teams. Toyo is limited on offense, but he has that knack in blocking shots simply by keeping his hands up and not leaving his feet or swatting at anyone who comes to the rim. Chan is high energy and is a perfect sub when there is a lead, end of a quarter or an equivalent matchup if the opponent subs out its starter. Riiny's motor redlines whenever he's in and gets caught out of position on defense a lot! Both need to work on catching the ball cleanly and either finishing or passing the ball back out. Unfortunately, with their lack of experience they should not be in the game in crunch time. EVERYONE needs to put a body on someone and crash the boards. Seems this team rolls when Jelani and Bryce are grabbing their share of rebounds and pushing the ball upcourt. And for goodness sake, practice those free throws! Those 2 narrow losses against Mitty and Serra would not have happened if they even hit just half of their FTs. Critical at this point in the season as every team is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: cityfan
Exactly! Therefore my case to play guys with game and team experience in senior Miller and the young Quanico and Barer against 3-4 guard teams. Toyo is limited on offense, but he has that knack in blocking shots simply by keeping his hands up and not leaving his feet or swatting at anyone who comes to the rim. Chan is high energy and is a perfect sub when there is a lead, end of a quarter or an equivalent matchup if the opponent subs out its starter. Riiny's motor redlines whenever he's in and gets caught out of position on defense a lot! Both need to work on catching the ball cleanly and either finishing or passing the ball back out. Unfortunately, with their lack of experience they should not be in the game in crunch time. EVERYONE needs to put a body on someone and crash the boards. Seems this team rolls when Jelani and Bryce are grabbing their share of rebounds and pushing the ball upcourt. And for goodness sake, practice those free throws! Those 2 narrow losses against Mitty and Serra would not have happened if they even hit just half of their FTs. Critical at this point in the season as every team is good.
True point about rebounding from the guard position. Nobody likes to be held accountable. The basket hanging ( cherry picking) in the playoffs has to stop. In Riiny's defense knowing your personel is key. We have to matchup Riiny with a forward not a guard where he is exploited on the defensive end or better yet switch up your D according to your line up. Maybe they have been practicing it at practice because we have shown that consistently and it will be a tough task just popping it in for playoffs. Zone defenses calls for you to think and need repetition.
I personally want to see us play matchup basketball. Forcing other teams to adjust to our strengths. In 4 years in the WCAL, with the Logan Johnsons of the world I haven't seen a guard stay in front of #1 with the ball in his hands, having him run the wing and wait for the ball has helped the defenses get set and only have to guard him on one side of the court and only halfcourt and not full. We won't be playing anymore teams with losing records. Rob, Dom , Lee and Sean will definitely be the X factors as their roles are so important. Solid play all around is what the team needs. Play good Defense and hit open shots that will be there for them as teams focus will be on the two guards. Stay within themselves and value possessions. Hoping the team gets refocused after Senior night as it's the talk of the town right now. If beating SHC and our manager making the twitter account of ESPN, or Lani having a career night vs a 9-15 team was our ultimate goal then we are in trouble. Focus on what could be and make it happen and not end on what should of been, again.

Last edited:
True point about rebounding from the guard position. Nobody likes to be held accountable. The basket hanging ( cherry picking) in the playoffs has to stop. In Riiny's defense knowing your personel is key. We have to matchup Riiny with a forward not a guard where he is exploited on the defensive end or better yet switch up your D according to your line up. Maybe they have been practicing it at practice because we have shown that consistently and it will be a tough task just popping it in for playoffs. Zone defenses calls for you to think and need repetition.
I personally want to see us play matchup basketball. Forcing other teams to adjust to our strengths. In 4 years in the WCAL, with the Logan Johnsons of the world I haven't seen a guard stay in front of #1 with the ball in his hands, having in run the wing and wait for the ball has helped the defenses get set and only have to guard him on one side of the court and only halfcourt and not full. We won't be playing anymore teams with losing records. Rob, Dom , Lee and Sean will definitely be the X factors as their roles are so important. Solid play all around is what the team needs. Play good Defense and hit open shots that will be there for them as teams focus will be on the two guards. Stay within themselves and value possessions. Hoping the team gets refocused after Senior night as it's the talk of the town right now. If beating SHC and our manager making the twitter account of ESPN, or Lani having a career night vs a 9-15 team was our ultimate goal then we are in trouble. Focus on what could be and make it happen and not end on what should of been, again.
Agree Renard. Also, CCS and NorCal ref crews seem to call a much tighter game with lots of ticky tack touch fouls...You know Coach Motil will have the Lancers sagging in the key waiting to take the charge from Bryce and JeLani. Both should mix it up with their dribble penetration off screens and pull up for the short jumper. Both can hit that shot all night!

Agree Renard. Also, CCS and NorCal ref crews seem to call a much tighter game with lots of ticky tack touch fouls...You know Coach Motil will have the Lancers sagging in the key waiting to take the charge from Bryce and JeLani. Both should mix it up with their dribble penetration off screens and pull up for the short jumper. Both can hit that shot all night!
Sectional games done by sectional officials. Usually quality guys who have experience doing WCAL games. Where things get dicey is NorCal, where officials are selected from outside sectional opponents. Sometimes you get rural refs not comfortable letting things go, and always the emphasis on NorCal officials to call a tighter game, that never plays well historically for WCAL teams.

Naw dont go there. I can show you game film...jump stops, mid air adjustments gliding by the defender. Defender flops and screams. CHARGE!

Please show us game film. Seems to be your go to when trying to make a point about how terrible refs can be.

Coaches need to teach players to adjust. Last week, I had a starter who reached on drives to the basket and committed three fouls in the first half. After every foul, the coach complained about how it wasn't a foul, no contact, ticky-tack, etc. Not once did the coach tell the player NOT TO REACH. Smh.

It's up to teams to adjust to the refs, not the other way around. Especially in NorCals like CityVibes says. Unfamiliar officials make for unexpected calls.

Please show us game film. Seems to be your go to when trying to make a point about how terrible refs can be.

Coaches need to teach players to adjust. Last week, I had a starter who reached on drives to the basket and committed three fouls in the first half. After every foul, the coach complained about how it wasn't a foul, no contact, ticky-tack, etc. Not once did the coach tell the player NOT TO REACH. Smh.

It's up to teams to adjust to the refs, not the other way around. Especially in NorCals like CityVibes says. Unfamiliar officials make for unexpected calls.
Who called the refs terrible? Refs make mistakes. I know everyone came to see the refs run up and down and make calls. Seems your go to is always the players that need to adjust. You have your opinion, I have mine. I wasn't at the game where the player was reaching. Everytime a player tries to take a charge it's not a charge but maybe sometimes.
Please come to my office anytime
Executive Director
Renard Monroe
801 Shields Street
SF ca 94132
Let's pop on the film

As a player you looked forward to playing different teams in the playoffs. It's kind of messed up that if Riordan does accomplish the goal they will have to play 3 WCAL schools. No other team has to do that.

This tends to be the case for any WCAL team in the Open division in recent years. In the last few years with few exceptions, the Open has essentially been the WCAL playoffs with out Valley Christian and in their place the sacrificial lamb of a public school.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Who called the refs terrible? Refs make mistakes. I know everyone came to see the refs run up and down and make calls. Seems your go to is always the players that need to adjust. You have your opinion, I have mine. I wasn't at the game where the player was reaching. Everytime a player tries to take a charge it's not a charge but maybe sometimes.
Please come to my office anytime
Executive Director
Renard Monroe
801 Shields Street
SF ca 94132
Let's pop on the film
Got my work address
Phone number for anyone who want to talk hoops as well, never hide from comments and opinions.
415-672-3577

If Coach Motil wants to upset the Crusaders tonight the Lancers will need a much better offensive game plan than the one against Bellarmaine on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT