ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

This is key to that argument... One time, when I was still up in Oregon, I was at a game where a coach protested loudly that the opponent had gone over-and-back. The ref politely gave a quick demonstration of the full rule. He showed that a player is with the ball *not* in forecourt until both of his feet AND the ball are over the timeline at the same time. Therefore, if said player hasn't touched the ball to the floor in frontcourt while his feet have also established themselves in the frontcourt, that player is still in backcourt and can take or pass the ball forward or backward. I'd say the purpose for this totally specific description of the rule would keep refs from having to try to make a judgement call everyyyyyy time someone gets spun around by a defender while traversing the time line.

Coach was, like... "Oh, okay... I get it now..."

Almost nobody I have ever happened to discuss this rule with (other than officials) had a full grasp of the rule, so Ayalar, if you don't have this rule "locked in", you're definitely NOT alone! Hell, I didn't know the full rule either, and probably still wouldn't if I hadn't happened to be at that particular game up in Oregon!

As far as I know, this rule applies in all levels of basketball that uses the backcourt line (I believe there may be some levels of girl's ball... in some places, anyway, that still have no backcourt).

Exactly! That’s why I said maybe it wasn’t backcourt and it’s often misunderstood. Many people don’t have a good grasp of it, but lots of people think they know and like to yell “backcourt” even when both feet and the ball haven’t made it over.

Did you happen to catch during 2nd quarter Ray John Spears gets a referee's attention, there is a fan wearing a big Champion C sweatshirt in the first few rows on the Irish side of the court and the referee heads towards the security at the front and security goes over to the man and my guess is told him to stop talking to Spears? You can tell there was some communication going on between Spears and the man and he asked the ref to intervene.

Spears was a bit off his game yesterday with this appeared altercation and also with #15 on SI where the both of them were called together during a timeout by the ref and likely were told to knock it off.

Well the loss stinks but the boys team did their job. They won the BM to get it to the baseball game and they evened their non-league record to 5-5 to qualify for CCS. These remaining league games are just a formality.
The refs shouldn't be talking to people in the stands at all. If there is trouble with spectators the refs should ask the site administrator to handle the problem.

The refs shouldn't be talking to people in the stands at all. If there is trouble with spectators the refs should ask the site administrator to handle the problem.
Ref doesnt talk with the fan. But he does get admin, talk to him. By the way, a flop no doubt, and pulling his jersey half way up not good. High school game, shirts must be tucked in. Both the ref under basket and C position are veteran referees, both who have done State championship game - they have seen it all.

Reactions: Crusaders70
Your kidding right? And when your own alumni and parents say the same, wheres the argument???

As you prove my point.... Anyone who takes an objective look at all of the league gyms would know better. Yes, I'll take the new, modern $16 million jewel with the great sight lines, a 3-story high ceiling and a bright, well-maintained interior to a dark, dank, old concrete block with a sunken floor and a blacked-out ceiling with obstructed views any time. TYOA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renard Monroe
As you prove my point...

Come on DNA, I wouldn't say the place (gym) sucks that is overboard. The school spirit is lacking however, I don't know what happened to the spirt club at SHC? What should the BLOCK club or school spirit committee do to get more attendance? It's sad to see when SH plays at home there are more concentrated SERRA or RIORDAN fans outselling the students when the school meets. Don't worry since Riordan will be co-ed with Mercy next year, the school spirit and teams will keep evolving.

Your kidding right? The place sucks! And when your own alumni and parents say the same, wheres the argument??? GTFOH

I didnt know the gym or the other facilities such as the theater or library were created for the alumni or parents. I really thought it was for the STUDENTS TO USE!!!! Pretty sure they are being used between the hours of 8am and 2:50pm when the intended use by STUDENTS and FACULTY!!!!

No one gives a ___ about game attendance or tickets sold. Student athletes play for themselves, their teammates, their coaches and their parents. All are in attendance.

I didnt know the gym or the other facilities such as the theater or library were created for the alumni or parents. I really thought it was for the STUDENTS TO USE!!!! Pretty sure they are being used between the hours of 8am and 2:50pm when the intended use by STUDENTS and FACULTY!!!!

No one gives a ___ about game attendance or tickets sold. Student athletes play for themselves, their teammates, their coaches and their parents. All are in attendance.
Not their school?

Reactions: WM483
Come on DNA, I wouldn't say the place (gym) sucks that is overboard. The school spirit is lacking however, I don't know what happened to the spirt club at SHC? What should the BLOCK club or school spirit committee do to get more attendance? It's sad to see when SH plays at home there are more concentrated SERRA or RIORDAN fans outselling the students when the school meets. Don't worry since Riordan will be co-ed with Mercy next year, the school spirit and teams will keep evolving.
Different era. Gets back to it being an all-boys school. Changed for SH, SI, even Riordan. I recall knowing by time I was in 5th grade, that I wanted to emulate what I witnessed at SH/SI Riordan/SI SI/RIordan games, cheering sections. etc. The varsity players sat together in their coats and ties, and walked to the locker during the JV game to cheers from their classmates. Guys showed up, because "thats what you did" you didnt want to be anywhere else. Block Clubs with their sweaters sat in first few rows. They scrambled through gym grabbing guys who wanted to sit with their girlfriends and put them in the cheering section. Guys in back of cheering section, snuck in a beer or two and hid their glazed eyes from Christian Brothers (Br. Ellis) or Priest (Draper) who monitored from front row. A stern look meant a cheer went too far. At half-time one teams block club lined perimater of gym floor, while the other did it on their side to keep people off court. You left the gym horse and sweating, waiting to get to the first beer at the Greens or Circle. Back then Riordan kids hated SH kids and visa versa. Everybody hated SI. Fights usually after a game in some remote area. Skin on skin. Somehow, we all survived (and most of us have solid pensions).

Parents knew their place. Most/all product of depression and World War II a product of a strict pre-vatican II upbringing. They followed orders, didnt question authority and gave school admins (Brothers and Priest) card-blanche to discipline if needed. They seemed to always take authorities side. Parents were seen but never heard.

Now kids from different schools sit together, hug it out. Sill bugs me.

The culture is still alive at Serra. Now kids think it is uncool, particularly with co-eds present, to act out. Those, who grew up in early 70s when WCAL was taken off, understand. You played for your school. Period. Parents sat on the perimeter and werent vested in "getting looks for their kids" (college education wasnt as tough financially). Now with advent of phones, it's hard enough to see kids talking to the kid next to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WM483
I dont dispute that. Its a shame.

I had to think about it on the train ride into the city this morning reflecting back on Tuesday's game. Tyrice Ivy, Zach Taylor-Smith and Jackson Cannady all being true athletes and playing hoops instead of just calling it a day after football season.

This era the kids just want to specialize for a long shot dream of making it professionally and thats fine. Theres no negative discrepancy that equates to your college chances if you play multiple sports. You cannot possibly tell me that a handful of all-league Valley Christian football players could not help their basketball team win games this season. Is there any doubt that players like Terrence Loville and Daylin McLemore wouldnt have made the Serra team even better, even challenge for a league title?

Sad, truly sad. But hey play for yourselves and your family. As best said by the Mandolorian, "This is the way."

Reactions: CityVibesII
I had to think about it on the train ride into the city this morning reflecting back on Tuesday's game. Tyrice Ivy, Zach Taylor-Smith and Jackson Cannady all being true athletes and playing hoops instead of just calling it a day after football season.

This era the kids just want to specialize for a long shot dream of making it professionally and thats fine. Theres no negative discrepancy that equates to your college chances if you play multiple sports. You cannot possibly tell me that a handful of all-league Valley Christian football players could not help their basketball team win games this season. Is there any doubt that players like Terrence Loville and Daylin McLemore wouldnt have made the Serra team even better, even challenge for a league title?

Sad, truly sad. But hey play for yourselves and your family. As best said by the Mandolorian, "This is the way."
Imagine if Riordan had Bryce Monroe as a running back, Je'Lani Clark at WR and 6-7 Rob Vaihola at TE/DE

Different era. Gets back to it being an all-boys school. Changed for SH, SI, even Riordan. I recall knowing by time I was in 5th grade, that I wanted to emulate what I witnessed at SH/SI Riordan/SI SI/RIordan games, cheering sections. etc. The varsity players sat together in their coats and ties, and walked to the locker during the JV game to cheers from their classmates. Guys showed up, because "thats what you did" you didnt want to be anywhere else. Block Clubs with their sweaters sat in first few rows. They scrambled through gym grabbing guys who wanted to sit with their girlfriends and put them in the cheering section. Guys in back of cheering section, snuck in a beer or two and hid their glazed eyes from Christian Brothers (Br. Ellis) or Priest (Draper) who monitored from front row. A stern look meant a cheer went too far. At half-time one teams block club lined perimater of gym floor, while the other did it on their side to keep people off court. You left the gym horse and sweating, waiting to get to the first beer at the Greens or Circle. Back then Riordan kids hated SH kids and visa versa. Everybody hated SI. Fights usually after a game in some remote area. Skin on skin. Somehow, we all survived (and most of us have solid pensions).

Ahh yes, that's how I remember it!! Good times!

Reactions: CityVibesII
Imagine if Riordan had Bryce Monroe as a running back, Je'Lani Clark at WR and 6-7 Rob Vaihola at TE/DE
Pull up Hudl and watch Bryce freshman highlights at QB...19 passing tds , 14 rushing tds. Je'lani played one season as well of football at Riordan and they both played Pop Warner Football at East Bay Warriors.
Devan Sapp- Cambriam Valley Pop Warner played football for Mitty as well
Mike Mitchell- Canbrian Valley Pop Warner
I dont know why kids stop playing multiple sports but I do know some hs school coaches pressure the kids to focus on their sport. My oldest when he got to Serra stop playing basketball. Hurt me to the core...lol

Pull up Hudl and watch Bryce freshman highlights at QB...19 passing tds , 14 rushing tds. Je'lani played one season as well of football at Riordan and they both played Pop Warner Football at East Bay Warriors.
Devan Sapp- Cambriam Valley Pop Warner played football for Mitty as well
Mike Mitchell- Canbrian Valley Pop Warner
I dont know why kids stop playing multiple sports but I do know some hs school coaches pressure the kids to focus on their sport. My oldest when he got to Serra stop playing basketball. Hurt me to the core...lol
Coach, #6, right? That was an all-time classic shootout!

i went to a huge public high school. you could only play one sport there because of the number of students. so i specialized by force.

Fri Night Matchups (stream info will be updated if/when available)
Tip-off @ 7:30 pm.
  • Mitty @ Bellarmine
    • Game of the night with league title hopes implications. This game is already a sellout! A loss means one of these teams will be 2 games down for 1st place. Bellarmine flexed its depth, muscle and height in the first meeting. Mitty needs to shoot lights out! Defense once again will be at a premium.
  • St. Ignatius @ Riordan
    • The Wildcats seek their third win in league with a rematch against Riordan at the Crusader Forum. Can SI repeat last year's thumping of the Crusaders? It's been an historic week on Frida Kahlo Way as Riordan will be co-ed starting next fall. Riordan on a 7 game league win streak and steadily improving and gaining confidence as a team every week. Should be a great atmosphere of Fri night HS hoops in the City!
  • Serra @ Sacred Heart Cathedral
    • SHC looking to bounce back from its mild upset loss against SI. Serra stinging from the last second loss against Riordan and looks to right the ship and stay within the league leaders.
  • St. Francis @ Valley Christian
    • Young Lancers will not be surprising anyone on the second go around. Appears VC is getting its players back from injury. VC needs to make a statement that it is a team to reckon with.
Friday Night Picks. Who you got?
  • Bellarmine
  • Riordan
  • Serra
  • St. Francis

A surprising bit of WCAL hoops history: A San Francisco school has not won an outright varsity title since 1999 (in part due to rules involving the league tourney champion).

Reactions: cityfan
Jan 31st Friday Night's Results
  • Mitty 59 @ Bellarmine 55
  • St. Ignatius 46 @ Riordan 59
  • St. Francis 53 @ Valley Christian 44
  • Serra @ Sacred Heart Cathedral (report score)
Friday Notes:
Mitty remains 1 game behind Riordan for first place, while the Bells trail now by 2 games. Riordan overcomes a sluggish start and defeats St. Ignatius going away to remain 1 game ahead in 1st place. Bellarmine and Riordan had packed houses tonight. Enjoy your weekend and Go Niners!

Reactions: colhenrylives
Jan 31st Friday Night's Results
  • Mitty 59 @ Bellarmine 55
  • St. Ignatius 46 @ Riordan 59
  • St. Francis 53 @ Valley Christian 44
  • Serra 80 @ Sacred Heart Cathedral 68
Friday Notes:
Irish were down 36-13 at the half and made a comeback but could have used some Bells defense...

Last edited:
Tuesday Night Feb 4th Matchups (stream info will be updated if/when available)
Tip-off @ 7:30 pm.
  • Bellarmine @ Serra
    • Game of the night as both teams seek to stay mathematically in the WCAL title race. Serra smarting from that 51 point loss in San Jose and looks to exact some revenge in their friendly confines known as the Jungle. Bells were a bit banged up against Mitty last week missing 2 of its key players. Let's hope they return soon. Serra coming off a solid road win up in the City defeating the Irish on its Ellis St. gym. Should be a good one. Game will be streamed on NFHS (subscription required)
  • SHC @ Mitty
    • Mitty looks to put the beat down on the Irish as payback for being upset in the Open last season. The Monarchs did defeat SHC by double digits a few weeks ago on the road. SHC speed matches up well against Mitty's. The Monarchs length will be the decisive factor.
  • Valley Christian @ Riordan
    • Could be a letdown game for Riordan as they host the Warriors at the Crusader Forum. VC has a young squad and has suffered some injuries. Riordan PF Rob Vaihola's last game before suffering a hand injury was against this VC squad as he scored 20+ points on the road. Not sure what his status is. Could be a good time for Riordan's Bryce Monroe to limit his minutes as he is still not 100%. The Crusaders look to make its title push Friday night matchup against the Bells in San Jose and clash with Mitty next Tuesday @ the Crusader Forum.
  • St Ignatius @ St. Francis
    • The Cat's look to pick up a win in Mountain View against the Lancers. It's always tough to play on the Lancers' home court and SI will need to be firing on all cylinders. SF has a very good guard oriented team that can both drive and shoot. SI's super frosh King Wilhite will need some help from his fellow teammates if they are to pull off the upset.
Tuesday Night's Picks. Who you got?
  • Bellarmine
  • Mitty
  • Riordan
  • St. Ignatius

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT