ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

If I am reading your comment correctly you are saying Riordan only played at a post season tourney at a high level back in the TOC days. That is actually not true.
They lost to Mater Dei in the D1 state title game in 1990.

I am talking in general terms, Riordan played in more TOC’s than D1.

Thank you Sheldon

LOL I went to St Vincent De Paul for Middle School and ended up at Stuart Hall for High School. This was around 2001, so I'm pretty sure its always been pretty random kids coming from all over the city and other places to go to private schools in SF.

Know your history, Riordan never competed in Open at the time they did compete at Top Level it was just Div.1. at the TOC. Since then they have only competed in Div. III. That was before recent transfers who claim they brought Riordan back to glory days
#WeR

A comprehensive online history of the Tournament of Champions indicates that Riordan (surprisingly) never played in that event. Sacred Heart, St. Ignatius, St. Mary's (B), St. Joseph's, O'Dowd, Salesian, among other papal powers back in the day, did compete in the TOC, once the premier post-season prep hoops tourney in NorCal. The TOC was out of business by 1981 as a CIF state tourney was re-instuted after a long hiatus.

Correction below.

Last edited:
A comprehensive online history of the Tournament of Champions indicates that Riordan (surprisingly) never played in that event. Sacred Heart, St. Ignatius, St. Mary's (B), St. Joseph's, O'Dowd, Salesian, among other papal powers back in the day, did compete in the TOC, once the premier post-season prep hoops tourney in NorCal. The TOC was out of business by 1981 as a CIF state tourney was re-instuted after a long hiatus.
Riordan played in the TOC in 1980. I was there with my cousin. They won CCS and WCAL that year. Starting five as I recall were Phil Kess, Matt Balmy, Frank Avalos, Matt Rivera and Brett Crawford. Crenshaw was the SoCal school and was loaded. former major leaguer Darryl Strawberry was on that team.
https://www.bayareasportsstars.com/Counties/TOCHistory.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: cherylbaustin
Man did you say MHR. I went there in kindergarten and then it shut down, next stop St Phillips.

I can’t remember his name, but he went to HS and ended up at St. Mary’s SF park & Rec. But I think he was AD and coach at St. Phillips. Another great AAU coach, who I wish had obtained his Degree to Coach at one of the Cable Car Classic HS BB programs

Riordan played in the TOC in 1980. I was there with my cousin. They won CCS and WCAL that year. Starting five as I recall were Phil Kess, Matt Balmy, Frank Avalos, Matt Rivera and Brett Crawford. Crenshaw was the SoCal school and was loaded. former major leaguer Darryl Strawberry was on that team.

Didn’t Riordan’s Fab Five play at TOC in Oakland under Isola?

Back in day Riordan-st Michaels, st emydius, epiphany, st finn bar, st johns, All hallows, shipwreck, .

St ignatius-St cecilia, st annes, st Stephen, St. VINCENT depaul, Sacred Heart/st. Dominic. ST THOMAS more. Town School.

SH-Salesian boys club, Notre Dame, St. Pauls, St Phillips, St Charles, St Roberts in San Bruno,
MISSION Dolores.

I want to complain about these coaches that felt the need to get the few public school kids to come and join their basketball teams thus taking away playing time from the kids that actually went to the school. Shame on you coaches! If you had enough kids in the class to form a team there was no need to get public school kids!

Correct. That was Riordan's only appearance in that tourney. Unless the TOC material is inaccurate.

You guys are killing me with these old gyms. Epiphany, St Monica's MHR. Played for St. Stephen at Epiphany many times against Ron Isola teams. Love the team bench in the old confessional and the long run to the scorers table on the stage. You telling me Epiphany has a new gym?

LOL I went to St Vincent De Paul for Middle School and ended up at Stuart Hall for High School. This was around 2001, so I'm pretty sure its always been pretty random kids coming from all over the city and other places to go to private schools in SF.
We are talking old school San Francisco. Pretty much before the unholy trinity started going coed. The lines started to dissolve once SH and SI went co-ed in mid/late 80s

Reactions: WM483
You guys are killing me with these old gyms. Epiphany, St Monica's MHR. Played for St. Stephen at Epiphany many times against Ron Isola teams. Love the team bench in the old confessional and the long run to the scorers table on the stage. You telling me Epiphany has a new gym?
yep

WCAL-CCS Roundup and Tonight's CCS Open Semi's

• CCS DII Quarterfinal Tuesday
    • Gunn 74 @ #3 Valley Christian 58
      • Valley Christian's season ends
  • CCS DIII Quarterfinals
    • Jefferson 60 @ #1 Sacred Heart Cathedral 66
      • Closer game than expected. SHC moves on!
    • Westmoor 37 @ #2 St. Ignatius 72
      • SI routs the Rams. Sets up SI-SHC III
CCS Open Semi-Finals-Wednesday Feb 26th @ Independence HS:
  • #3 Bellarmine vs #7 St. Francis @ 6pm
    • Would have given the Lancers a fighting chance against the Bells, but injury to Daly hurts.
  • #1 Mitty vs #4 Menlo-Atherton @ 7:30pm
    • M-A hangs tough until the Monach bigs of Bhandal and Burris impose their will and change the game.
CCS Open Consolation Round-Thursday Feb 27th
  • #8 Menlo @ #5 Serra - 5:30pm
  • #6 Sacred Heart Prep @ #2 Archbishop Riordan - 6pm

I have to say Bhandal has really impressed me this year. As has Nigel. A lot of kids would have been pissed they weren’t starting after starting at their previous school, but he seems to understand his role and is content being the 6th man this year

Reactions: cityfan

The 1980 starting five were: Phil Kess, John Scott, Matt Ward, Frank Avalos, and Brett Crawford. Matt Rivera started on the 1979 team.

Yes, that was the only Riordan team to play in the Oakland/AAA TOC.

Back in 1960, Riordan played in the Peninsula TOC, which was played before the C.C.S. was formed.

Riordan played in Division 1 Playoffs in C.C.S. games and Nor Cal games until it was not allowed to play above it's Enrollment Division. That rule change was done before the 1996 season.

Reactions: jordan24
The 1980 starting five were: Phil Kess, John Scott, Matt Ward, Frank Avalos, and Brett Crawford. Matt Rivera started on the 1979 team.

Back in 1960, Riordan played in the Peninsula TOC, which was played before the C.C.S. was formed.

Riordan played in Division 1 Playoffs in C.C.S. games and Nor Cal games until it was not allowed to play above it's Enrollment Division. That rule change was done before the 1996 season.
Thanks Stats! My memory is going. Lol

Tough to beat the ancient Bellarmine gym (now gone I think) for quaint. Played a freshman game there in 1970. It had a clock with a hand that went around, two half-court lines because the place was so cramped and showers I can't even describe. Regarding the old TOC, a fond memory circa 1978 was going with the guys from Burlingame Rec -- Steve Picchi, Ray Wagner, Clay Rice, Mike Ciardella, Carl Reyna -- to watch about five straight games at the TOC in Oakland. Good times.

Reactions: rabbit5

still have nightmares of Crawford telling me he was going tio find me after the game and KILL me....lol i tried frustrating him with skinny elbows and cheap shots to no avail, baseline drive Dunk.!!....think they put up 104 that game.. a wcal record for a long time

I want to complain about these coaches that felt the need to get the few public school kids to come and join their basketball teams thus taking away playing time from the kids that actually went to the school. Shame on you coaches! If you had enough kids in the class to form a team there was no need to get public school kids!
If you're referring to CYO, those I think are parish teams, not school teams. For instance, Jack Wilson of Serra as a junior high kid attended the public junior high in Half Moon Bay but played CYO ball for the Catholic parish team in town. It wasn't a school team! So if there is a beef, it is with the founders of the league, not the coaches. I played in the Peninsula Parochial School League and those were school teams with no public school kids. You go by how the league is set up. St. Cecilia's slaughtered us in an eighth grade practice game because it had Catholic school kids like Eddie Silvia who later played at SI and probably public school kids as well.

Wednesday Night's CCS Open Quarterfinals Roundup @ Independence High
  • #3 Bellarmine 57 vs #7 St. Francis 28
    • Bellarmine with the rout of a young St. Francis squad. Missing Ryan Daly also hurt, but would not mattered with the outcome the way the Bells are playing right now.
  • #1 Mitty 63 vs #4 Menlo-Atherton 45
    • M-A hangs tough and even had the lead mid-4th quarter. Marcus Greene with a great overall game. Very impressed with Coach Molieri's scrappy Bears squad. They could make some noise in NorCals.
CCS Div III Semifinals - Thursday Feb 27th - Burlingame HS
  • #5 Aptos vs #1 SHC 5:30pm
    • SHC looking looks to run against Aptos to set up a 3rd matchup with rival SI in the Final.
  • #3 Monterey vs #2 SI 7pm
    • The 'Cats look to make a statement of playing in the tough WCAL against a good Monterey squad.
    • It's Serra's tenacious defense and motion offense against a tall and disciplined Menlo squad. If the Jungle is packed tonight, Serra wins going away.
    • A good opportunity to erase the sting of the Crusaders loss against St. Francis. As for like opponents, SHP beat SI in OT in non-league and lost vs Bellarmine last week. SHP most likely to throw a zone at Riordan. Crusaders look to up the tempo and tighten its defense as it prepares for NorCals.
CCS Open Finals - Friday, Feb 28th @ Maples Pavilion-Stanford Univ - 8pm

CCS Division III Finals - Saturday Feb 29th (Time and location TBD)

Last edited:

I though Rivera was 79. St. Francis won league in 79 (I believe, as well as football and baseball). Norman was the stud.

Wednesday Night's CCS Open Quarterfinals Roundup @ Independence High
  • #3 Bellarmine 57 vs #7 St. Francis 28
    • Bellarmine with the rout of a young St. Francis squad. Missing Ryan Daly also hurt, but would not mattered with the outcome the way the Bells are playing right now.
  • #1 Mitty 63 vs #4 Menlo-Atherton 45
    • M-A hangs tough and even had the lead mid-4th quarter. Marcus Greene with a great overall game. Very impressed with Coach Molieri's scrappy Bears squad. They could make some noise in NorCals.
CCS Div III Semifinals - Thursday Feb 27th - Burlingame HS
  • #5 Aptos vs #1 SHC 5:30pm
    • SHC looking looks to run against Aptos to set up a 3rd matchup with rival SI in the Final.
  • #3 Monterey vs #2 SI 7pm
    • The 'Cats look to make a statement of playing in the tough WCAL against a good Monterey squad.
    • It's Serra's tenacious defense and motion offense against a tall and disciplined Menlo squad. If the Jungle is packed tonight, Serra wins going away.
    • A good opportunity to erase the sting of the Crusaders loss against St. Francis. As for like opponents, SHP beat SI in OT in non-league and lost vs Bellarmine last week. SHP most likely to throw a zone at Riordan. Crusaders look to up the tempo and tighten its defense as it prepares for NorCals.
CCS Open Finals - Friday, Feb 28th @ Maples Pavilion-Stanford Univ - 8pm

When was last time CCS was held at Maples? It was fixture site in 70s.

I though Rivera was 79. St. Francis won league in 79 (I believe, as well as football and baseball). Norman was the stud.
Yes. I was corrected by the venerable ARHS Stats. Norman was good, but Crawford was one of the best HS players in the country. He should have won POY both junior and senior year, but only won it his junior year. I remember an article in the SF Examiner writing about that and how Crawford beat Norman and the Lancers that year for the WCAL title.

Reactions: OneDNA

And thats the bottom line cause Stone Cold Pat said so!!! Thanks Patrick!

When was last time CCS was held at Maples? It was fixture site in 70s.
1982 possibly? Riordan lost to a Rory McLoud led Jefferson Indians in the title game that year. Rory played for Epiphany’s Parish team in grade school.

I dislike these consolation games. CCS trying to make extra $ on the backs of kids. Nothing good can come out of this for any team. Key players could get injured and then what? You're screwed for NorCals. Id play only your bench and seniors that rarely got into games during the season.

I don't like consolation games either. I was at a Valley Christian at Los Gatos football consolation game in 2014 and it was hard to watch. Los Gatos won 27-0, but I don't think either team took it that seriously. Regarding the basketball consolation games, my vague memory of why they are held is so that teams heading into regional play (all of the Open teams, right?) don't get too rusty after their initial Open loss. Not a financial thing, I don't think.

I don't like consolation games either. I was at a Valley Christian at Los Gatos football consolation game in 2014 and it was hard to watch. Los Gatos won 27-0, but I don't think either team took it that seriously. Regarding the basketball consolation games, my vague memory of why they are held is so that teams heading into regional play (all of the Open teams, right?) don't get too rusty after their initial Open loss. Not a financial thing, I don't think.
2014-15 Serra football team was supposed to play Milpitas in a Consolation football game. Coach Walsh declined to play the game. Serra seniors including my son lost the opportunity to play in the playoffs the following year because of the sanctions put on the program. Kids lost their senior year. Unfair to the kids. Kids could get hurt I agree but it also hurts not playing and losing that opportunity. You only get 1 high school career. I know what Coach Walsh was doing and thinking but it didn't work out for that group of Padres.

Looks like Riordan pulled out a close one 52-46.

Now we get to find out Sunday where they will be seeded. I'm leaning 80% D1, 20% Open

Not that anyone cares other than about half the players on each squad but crazy to me that CCS hasn't announced a time or location for the epic SI v SHC battle less than 48 hours before game time.

Reactions: Renard Monroe

Not that anyone cares other than about half the players on each squad but crazy to me that CCS hasn't announced a time or location for the epic SI v SHC battle less than 48 hours before game time.

May be trying to find a location in the City thats more favorable to each schools parents, fanbase etc...maybe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT