• Bellarmine (lower seed-on road)
D1
  • Riordan (high seed-hosting 1st round)
  • St. Francis (mid seed)
  • Serra (mid seed)
D2
  • SI (high seed-hosting 1st round)
  • SHC (mid seed)

I would be very surprised if they move SI up to D2. They have some bad losses and winning a CCS title doesn't hold much clout anymore as it did before the Open. Monterey won D 3 last year and was the 8th seed in CIF d3.

Flopping is not a technical foul in high school. It's a 'no call'. Men's NCAA has warning for flops. Second act by any subsequent player is a technical.
I thought Rule 10-4-6 says flopping is a technical foul, however most officials either no call it, or call a common foul on the flopper!

f. Faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I thought Rule 10-4-6 says flopping is a technical foul, however most officials either no call it, or call a common foul on the flopper!

f. Faking being fouled, knowingly attempting a free throw or accepting a foul to which the player was not entitled.

Great knowledge, with reference even! I stand corrected, though you are correct about officials not applying letter of the law. I'd like flopping to be added to delay of game warnings. Second offense TF.

Now how about 4-19.11: multiple foul?!

Great knowledge, with reference even! I stand corrected, though you are correct about officials not applying letter of the law. I'd like flopping to be added to delay of game warnings. Second offense TF.

Multiple fouls are pretty rare, in my opinion, I don't believe I've seen one called.

Back to flopping...If it's whistled for a tech early and often, going back to middle school and Club ball, then players will not emulate it as much. LeBron almost died from a forearm to his jaw last night though! lol!

Back to flopping...If it's whistled for a tech early and often, going back to middle school and Club ball, then players will not emulate it as much. LeBron almost died from a forearm to his jaw last night though! lol!
high school officials do not get the proper training to distinguish between contact and a flop... lets not make their jobs any harder.

The plays they are referring to are pretty blatant and don’t require much in the way of training.
trust me... when you have to start splitting hairs on plays in the paint... it is hard enough for officials to get block/charge right... now you are asking them to add another element??!! and with only 2 person crews??? for guys who do freshman basketball who cannot even get in position??? there is a reason high school hasnt brought on the RA either. Unfortunately the training isnt available nor do alot of them want to train.

WCAL/NorCal Matchups
NorCal Div I First Round - Tuesday March 3rd - 7pm

• #16 Modesto Christian @ #1 Archbishop Riordan
    • 2nd meeting of the year with these two Crusader squads. The first one was won by Riordan @ the Valley Christian Showcase in December. Will be a gauge of which team adjusts from its first showdown in order to move on. Much has been commented on Riordan's recent play. However, the Crusaders are the #1 seed in a loaded Division and will host throughout if they continue to win. This is set up for Riordan to make its run. Can they do it?
  • #10 Serra @ #7 Campolindo
    • Deja vu all over again as these 2 teams met last year in Orinda with the Cougars winning going away. Very good matchups with sr Campo guard Carter Mahaney vs Serra's Abeyto. Super sophs Aidan Mahaney and big Callas will most likely matchup against Serra's Altcantara and Shuman. Can the Padres turn the tables?
NorCal Div II First Round - Tuesday March 3rd - 7pm
  • #10 DeAnza @ #7 St. Francis
    • DeAnza makes its way from El Sobrante to take on St. Francis. DeAnza comes from the TCAL and plays the likes of Salesian, SPSV and St. Marys-Albany-so they have been battle-tested. The young Lancers have surprised a lot of people this season which includes the upset win against Riordan a few weeks ago. SF lives and die by the 3, but home court should favor St. Francis in this first round matchup.
Norcal Div III First Round - Tuesday March 3rd
  • #12 Lowell @ #5 Sacred Heart Cathedral - 8pm
    • A rare AAA vs WCAL City school matchup with serious stakes on the line! Lowell comes in as AAA Champions with a hot scorer in Cal Ladine. The Irish look to run and gun against Lowell. Should be a good one!
  • #15 Bullard @ #2 St. Ignatius
    • Bullard makes the trek from Fresno to meet the CCS Div III Champs SI Wildcats.

Open Division Quarterfinal- Wednesday March 4th
  • #5 Bellarmine @ #4 Dublin - 7pm
    • This game will a must see matchup of Bellarmine's veteran team with size vs a very athletic and skilled Gaels team. Both have excellent coaches in Schneider and Costello. Will be a chess match that should go down to the wire.
  • #2 Mitty (Bye)
Thursday March 7th
Open Division Semi-Final

• #3 Bishop O'Dowd @ #2 Mitty - 7pm
    • The Dragons, fresh off their NCS Open Title win over Dublin, travel to San Jose to meet the CCS Open Champions, Monarchs. Great matchup in store with Mitty's Burris vs Cal-bound Monty Bowser. Dragon Super Frosh big Jalen Lewis most likely draws breakout Monarch junior big Bhandal. Both teams appear evenly matched with size, skill and excellent coaching by veterans Kennedy and Richie. Of all these teams' successes, I do not recall if they have met in the past decade? Another must-see game!

Last edited:
They did their job and got the BM series even. Thats the only thing that mattered.
Really? So if SI wins the baseball game will you feel that way. Regular season win vs CCS title.[/QUOTE]

SI isnt beating SH this year. There is no Jack Dyke to save them. In fact last year's win was a result of jitters in the 7th. Errors by normally sure handed SH players sealed their fate. With Owen Stevenson on the bump, this one will not be close.

SI isnt beating SH this year. There is no Jack Dyke to save them. In fact last year's win was a result of jitters in the 7th. Errors by normally sure handed SH players sealed their fate. With Owen Stevenson on the bump, this one will not be close.

The Trophy Game is a championship in and of itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
WCAL/NorCal Matchups

• 2nd meeting of the year with these two Crusader squads. The first one was won by Riordan @ the Valley Christian Showcase in December. Will be a gauge of which team adjusts from its first showdown in order to move on. Much has been commented on Riordan's recent play. However, the Crusaders are the #1 seed in a loaded Division and will host throughout if they continue to win. This is set up for Riordan to make its run. Can they do it?
    • Deja vu all over again as these 2 teams met last year in Orinda with the Cougars winning going away. Can the Padres turn the tables?
    • Don't know much about DeAnza, but the young Lancers live and die by the 3. Home court should favor St. Francis in this first round matchup.
    • A rare AAA vs WCAL City school matchup with serious stakes on the line! Lowell comes in as AAA Champions with a hot scorer in Cal Ladine. The Irish look to run and gun against Lowell. Should be a good one!
    • Bullard makes the trek from Fresno to meet the CCS Div III Champs SI Wildcats.

• This game will a must see matchup of Bellarmine's veteran team with size vs a very athletic and skilled Gaels team. Both have excellent coaches in Schneider and Costello. Will be a chess match that should go down to the wire.
  • #2 Mitty (Bye)
Thursday March 7th
Open Division Semi-Final

• The Dragons, fresh off their NCS Open Title win over Dublin, travel to San Jose to meet the CCS Open Champions, Monarchs. Both teams appear evenly matched with size, skill and excellent coaching by veterans Kennedy and Richie. Another must-see game!
Experience = Chessmstch!

They did their job and got the BM series even. Thats the only thing that mattered.
Really? So if SI wins the baseball game will you feel that way. Regular season win vs CCS title.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree. SH/SI grads would take a Bruce-Mahoney victory over a CCS title in DIII. Not even close. CCS is so watered-down now. BM is an event. Maybe if it was for an Open Title it would draw interest, but the Bruce-Mahoney (football game, 1st league basketball, and 1st league baseball game (if necessary) is considered special.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
WCAL/NorCal Matchups

• Deja vu all over again as these 2 teams met last year in Orinda with the Cougars winning going away. Very good matchups with sr Campo guard Carter Mahaney vs Serra's Abeyto. Super sophs Aidan Mahaney and big Callas will most likely matchup against Serra's Altcantara and Shuman. Can the Padres turn the tables?
    • DeAnza makes its way from El Sobrante to take on St. Francis. DeAnza comes from the TCAL and plays the likes of Salesian, SPSV and St. Marys-Albany-so they have been battle-tested. The young Lancers have surprised a lot of people this season which includes the upset win against Riordan a few weeks ago. SF lives and die by the 3, but home court should favor St. Francis in this first round matchup.

• #2 Mitty (Bye)
Thursday March 7th
Open Division Semi-Final

• The Dragons, fresh off their NCS Open Title win over Dublin, travel to San Jose to meet the CCS Open Champions, Monarchs. Great matchup in store with Mitty's Burris vs Cal-bound Monty Bowser. Dragon Super Frosh big Jalen Lewis most likely draws breakout Monarch junior big Bhandal. Both teams appear evenly matched with size, skill and excellent coaching by veterans Kennedy and Richie. Of all these teams' successes, I do not recall if they have met in the past decade? Another must-see game!
AGREED J XXIV! Finally got around to seeing the complete brackets and this is setup nicely for Riordan to make a run. To have every game at home, where depth perception need not be adjusted is a huge advantage at this point. Yes, they may run up vs DeLa, but playing at home neutralizes that. I'm expecting no less than a Norcal Finals appearance. This is where a WELL PREPARED, WELL COACHED team excels. I remember the Doctor having tons and tons of tape on schools when he had inferior talent and moving on deep into Norcals (Im talking about prior to the Kately/Tofi era). Everyone knows now what Riordan's deficiencies are. Can they (the coaching staff) finally make the necessary adjustments for a prolonged run? Better question, are they WILLING to make the necessary adjustments? The table is setup perfectly for them. There are ZERO excuses at this point. The first round CCS debacle should have been enough a wakeup call to this coaching staff. Run the table and make this indeed the memorable season the players, staff, school, parents, and alumni expected. #WeR

Reactions: ARHS92 and rabbit5
Man. THAT'S pretty stern. I am pretty sure they [coaches] have all the tape they can watch. [I hope]. ITS one game at a time. AND every team has players 2. AND the team and coaches cannot look ahead at all. SO we shall see how it plays out.

Lee, it is what it is. Agreed, one game at a time is correct, but playing at home is the ultimate advantage. And if everyone is right, Riordan HAS MORE than 2 players or are you slighting the rest of the team? As a coach, you set goals for yourself. Long, middle, and short, however way you deem it. I forecasted the long range goal of a State title. But getting there, yes its one game at a time. But like I said the brackets play to their advantage. No excuses! You know what their deficiency is, as do other astute posters here, and I hope the staff does as well. I'll see you Tuesday night. #WeR

Im rooting for Riordan. That 1st game vs Modesto is no cakewalk. MC has the pieces and size. If Riordan gets the 1st game i see the nxt 2 games as a tad easier. DLS is no match for them this year. Too young and have struggled on the road. Make the adjustments or this will go down as a disappointing season & good luck having 2 D1 guards and a 7'0 big again. This roster doesnt come around often.

Im rooting for Riordan. That 1st game vs Modesto is no cakewalk. MC has the pieces and size. If Riordan gets the 1st game i see the nxt 2 games as a tad easier. DLS is no match for them this year. Too young and have struggled on the road. Make the adjustments or this will go down as a disappointing season & good luck having 2 D1 guards and a 7'0 big again. This roster doesnt come around often.
MC is definitely not a cakewalk. MC was up on Riordan by 10 points at halftime in their December game. It took a monster 2nd half by Bryce Monroe for Riordan to pull away from the "other" Crusaders. One game at a time...

I was just about to post that MC maybe the most difficult 16 seed in the history of CIF Basketball. Could have just as easily been a top 4 seed in D2

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
I was just about to post that MC maybe the most difficult 16 seed in the history of CIF Basketball. Could have just as easily been a top 4 seed in D2

With the competitive equity format being what it is, and only taking 5 teams up into the Open, of course there is going to be a good team as the 16 seed in D1. They very well could be the best 16 seed NorCal has ever seen. But the bottom divisions are then as weak as they've ever been with all of the good teams in the top brackets. SH excluded, of course. ;)

Man this Board is dead after the opening games of Norcals. That was probably Riordan's most complete effort I have seen this year from beginning to end on both sides of the floor. Hats off to their coaching staff, as offensively their zone offense looked to be more active rather than the rudimentary version they showed in League and CCS. Was it perfect? No, definitely a work in progress, but when you get 20+ from Riny (sp?) or any other 3rd scorer, Riordan is going to be a tough out. Like to see more from the baseline and short corner, but Bryce and Jelani got where they wanted attacking the zone and not settling for last second shots from, beyond the arc. Did well driving and distributing and their bigs caught and finished for a change. Defensively, after a some early open looks from 3, Riordan locked in. They still played man the whole way, not wavering from the success that built their lead, but were locked in for the most part. Moving forward a change in pace and showing zone or full court pressure to mix it up could prove even more beneficial vs a stronger team. Again, I'll give credit when credit is due, unlike some top seeds last night, this coaching staff had the kids ready to play and looked all the part of a #1 seed. Next stop Thursday vs Vanden. With the Green Machine and MA winner lurking around the corner on Saturday night. On a side note, where the hell was the student body. If not for the band, it was an anemic showing. Its the Norcals, win or go home! Hope the band keeps showing up if thats the case......

WCAL/NorCal Roundup from Tuesday Night

• #16 Modesto Christian 51 @ #1 Archbishop Riordan 82
    • Riordan played like the #1 seed with their most complete game of the season. Liked the roster tweak, substitution rotations, the intensity and sense of urgency the team brought. Potentially, 4 more games in the next 8 days! Need to continue the focus!
  • #10 Serra 57 @ #7 Campolindo 65
    • Serra gave the Cougars all it could handle. Campo's firepower just too much for the scrappy Padres. Congrats on a very good season! Looking forward to seeing the return of Coach Rapp next year.
  • #10 DeAnza 65 @ #7 St. Francis 56
    • A slight upset, but not surprised as DeAnza is battle tested coming from the tough TCAL. Can anyone who may have been at the game share your comments ? This young Lancer squad will be making some noise next season.
  • #12 Lowell 57 @ #5 Sacred Heart Cathedral 60
    • From the tweets from this game last night, it sounded like a highly competitive back and forth game. The Irish take down the AAA Champs and next on the road to take on Rich Buckner's St. Marys-Albany team.
  • #15 Bullard 50 @ #2 St. Ignatius 52
    • The young 'Cats had all it could handle from the #15 seed Bullard team and pulls out the victory. Next up a home game against #7 Carmel.

• #2 Mitty (Bye)
Thursday March 7th
Open Division Semi-Final

Last edited:
All season I was saying Riordan should play Riny more and I was laughed at by multiple people. Kid is a really strong player...just have to be patient with him. Kids who are 6'9 and have his length don't grow on trees. I think his wingspan has to be closer to 6'10-6'11.......Riordan just play Riny...Mor....The Guards...and you guys can win the whole darn thing. I'm cheering for All the city team to have success!

Burris will shut Jalen Lewis Down...Bhandal will go off...as will Mitchell.....I see Mitty beating O'Dowd 55-50

Good to see a great team victory for Riordan. Good job by the coaching staff and the players with the adjustments made and focus on execution on both ends of the floor. Given that these 2 teams have met before, I thought this game could go down to the wire based on how Riordan has played the past few weeks. It's always hard playing a good team twice. We've seen how this played out in league. Keep it up and we could see them in Sacramento.

Last edited:
Reactions: cityfan
WCAL/NorCal Roundup from Tuesday Night

• #16 Modesto Christian 51 @ #1 Archbishop Riordan 82
    • Riordan played like the #1 seed with their most complete game of the season. Liked the roster tweak, substitution rotations, the intensity and sense of urgency the team brought. Potentially, 4 more games in the next 8 days! Need to continue the focus!
  • #10 Serra 57 @ #7 Campolindo 65
    • Serra gave the Cougars all it could handle. Campo's firepower just too much for the scrappy Padres. Congrats on a very good season! Looking forward to seeing the return of Coach Rapp next year.
  • #10 DeAnza 65 @ #7 St. Francis 56
    • A slight upset, but not surprised as DeAnza is battle tested coming from the tough TCAL. Can anyone who may have been at the game share your comments ? This young Lancer squad will be making some noise next season.
  • #12 Lowell 57 @ #5 Sacred Heart Cathedral 60
    • From the tweets from this game last night, it sounded like a highly competitive back and forth game. The Irish take down the AAA Champs and next on the road to take on Rich Buckner's St. Marys-Albany team.
  • #15 Bullard 50 @ #2 St. Ignatius 52
    • The young 'Cats had all it could handle from the #15 seed Bullard team and pulls out the victory. Next up a home game against #7 Carmel.

• #2 Mitty (Bye)
Thursday March 7th
Open Division Semi-Final

My wife is a graduate of De Anza and it just so happens we bought our house ironically down the street from there. And now my son is 5, I was like hey maybe I can help the program out and do some coaching and wherever else they may need. Sent a email, never heard back. Guess they didn’t need me at all. Glad they are on a roll.

Burris will shut Jalen Lewis Down...Bhandal will go off...as will Mitchell.....I see Mitty beating O'Dowd 55-50

How one minute can you say the guy is the first pick of the NBA draft in 2023, yet he is going to be shut down. In many ways that makes no sense. Jalen Lewis is a special kid, and Lou Ritchie a fiend as well is one hell of a coach. His team will be well prepared.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT