ADVERTISEMENT

A Game That Will Not be Played

CaliforniaFan24

Superstar
Jun 27, 2020
It looks like there will be no rematch of St. Francis vs. DLS. I am just curious, what is the opinion on who would prevail if there were to match up again?

Honestly I think it’s Saint Francis year. There line and physicality is like nothing we’ve seen. I just don’t see anybody from north stopping them. So in a rematch I say Saint Francis again.

Honestly I think it’s Saint Francis year. There line and physicality is like nothing we’ve seen. I just don’t see anybody from north stopping them. So in a rematch I say Saint Francis again.
Lol what?
we have seen physically and line play better than St Francis just about every year at DLS.
I would take DLS to win if they played again.St Francis scored the winning TD with 15 seconds left after being out played the 2nd half.Let’s remember that DLS also fumbled inside the 5.I think DLS would win by 10 in a rematch

Lol what?
we have seen physically and line play better than St Francis just about every year at DLS.
I would take DLS to win if they played again.St Francis scored the winning TD with 15 seconds left after being out played the 2nd half.Let’s remember that DLS also fumbled inside the 5.I think DLS would win by 10 in a rematch
Tend to agree, but SF has a lot of momentum and confidence right now. They also know that they CAN beat DLS, because they have. Not saying that would be enough, but it's a huge step no other NorCal playoff team has ever had

Beating a very good team twice in the same season is difficult. WCAL teams often see each other twice in league and CCS.

Reactions: ararar
Tend to agree, but SF has a lot of momentum and confidence right now. They also know that they CAN beat DLS, because they have. Not saying that would be enough, but it's a huge step no other NorCal playoff team has ever had
Yes they have the mentality that no other team has had but as Jordan24 said it’s very difficult to beat teams as good as you twice in a season as we have seen play out before with MD and SJB

Beating a very good team twice in the same season is difficult. WCAL teams often see each other twice in league and CCS.
Yes, WCAL teams are often playing each other for the CCS Championship. I expect SF and Serra to meet in the CCS Final

Ran it by Freeman's and the computer says DLS 35-26 for whatever that's worth.
It's too bad though as that would be a widely anticipated and watched game for NorCal fans.

One thing I don't quite understand is some fans discounting the win as "lucky" by SF simply because it was close and they won with little time left. Do fans remember just how many close games down to the wire DLS has won over the years'? I remember several close games between WCAL teams and especially 2 games in which DLS somehow escaped with last minute wins: one against Bellarmine 26-23 in double O/T when DLS was ranked #1 in CA and in top 5 in the nation in 2011:

The other was more memorable for me as I was at the game in which DLS won over Serra by 29-28 in 2008 at Serra. DLS went up by 21-0 at the 1/2 and some fans even left thinking a blow-out was forth-coming. In the 2nd 1/2 Serra scored 4 unanswered TD's to go up 28-21 in the 4th quarter. DLS scored with 5 min. remaining and lined up for the extra point to tie. The snap to the DLS holder was low and the DLS holder took off for the corner of the end zone just making it for the 2-point converson to go up by 1 and the final score 29-28 DLS over Serra.

In the recent SF win over DLS the SF Lancers in that final minute drove down the field with little time left and reached the DLS 1-yard line with less than 30 secs left - only to be called for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty ["excessive celebration"?]. That call could have altered the game pushing SF back to the 16, but on the next play SF completed a pass into the end zone for the win. St. Francis found a way to win much like the Spartans had done time and time again to NorCal opponents for 30 seasons..

A shame we will not get to see these 2 teams battle again in the playoffs.

It's too bad though as that would be a widely anticipated and watched game for NorCal fans.

One thing I don't quite understand is some fans discounting the win as "lucky" by SF simply because it was close and they won with little time left. Do fans remember just how many close games down to the wire DLS has won over the years'? I remember several close games between WCAL teams and especially 2 games in which DLS somehow escaped with last minute wins: one against Bellarmine 26-23 in double O/T when DLS was ranked #1 in CA and in top 5 in the nation in 2011:

The other was more memorable for me as I was at the game in which DLS won over Serra by 29-28 in 2008 at Serra. DLS went up by 21-0 at the 1/2 and some fans even left thinking a blow-out was forth-coming. In the 2nd 1/2 Serra scored 4 unanswered TD's to go up 28-21 in the 4th quarter. DLS scored with 5 min. remaining and lined up for the extra point to tie. The snap to the DLS holder was low and the DLS holder took off for the corner of the end zone just making it for the 2-point converson to go up by 1 and the final score 29-28 DLS over Serra.

In the recent SF win over DLS the SF Lancers in that final minute drove down the field with little time left and reached the DLS 1-yard line with less than 30 secs left - only to be called for a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty ["excessive celebration"?]. That call could have altered the game pushing SF back to the 16, but on the next play SF completed a pass into the end zone for the win. St. Francis found a way to win much like the Spartans had done time and time again to NorCal opponents for 30 seasons..

Nobody discounts the win. It's just that everyone was saying "SF beat DeLaSalle "as though they destroyed them. That's the only reason the closeness of the game is mentioned.To the point of your post, yes, DLS has escaped a couple of times vs WCAL teams you mentioned. Those games were a while ago, though. More importantly, those DLS wins were just a few in the 300 plus game streak. The SF win was the actual streak breaker. Close losses were actually looked upon as a bragging right vs DLS. SF actually got it done

Reactions: THEOC89
I just think Saint Francis is better this year. More talented and physical. They have elite college size. Even the best DLS teams didn’t have size like SF. We will probably never know so it doesn’t matter but I think SF will rep the north well.

I just think Saint Francis is better this year. More talented and physical. They have elite college size. Even the best DLS teams didn’t have size like SF. We will probably never know so it doesn’t matter but I think SF will rep the north well.
Yes SF is better than I've seen them lineman wise.I think the Aaron Taylor team had another big guy, but no, DLS almost never has superior size across the whole line. Out of curiosity, I'd like to know how this year's SF O line stacks up size and weight wise

Anyone getting sick and tired of people complaining that DLS is not headed to the Open this year? It doesn’t matter how St. Francis beat them… they beat them. It doesn’t matter who would win a rematch. End of story. Unless something weird happens in the next two weeks, DLS will be in D-1AA.

There’s been some idiot on Twitter complaining about this, too, claiming that SF doesn’t deserve the Open bid because of a “weak” schedule and that they “stole” the game from the Spartans.

Just like how a lot of fans in the SS have been going on about some 10-0 teams that got bounced in the first round of the playoffs, as if there was some unwritten rule that those are supposed to automatically be fed some hapless 5-5 opponent so that they could go 11-0.

The sense of entitlement is embarrassing.

Great clip, thanks

Yes SF is better than I've seen them lineman wise.I think the Aaron Taylor team had another big guy, but no, DLS almost never has superior size across the whole line. Out of curiosity, I'd like to know how this year's SF O line stacks up size and weight wise
Seems like every one of those SF kids on the line is between 6”2-6”4 270-300+ and they are athletic. They aren’t fat and slow. The RB Tea is a truck 5”11 200. They don’t have the skill players as the south but in the trenches this is a damn good team that will hold their own.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Lest some of forget about the DLS NorCal streak - Yes it ended at 30 seasons' with the St. Francis win, however the streak continues against NCS foes as St. Francis is obviously in the CCS.
Had always thought Pitt would be the team to break that streak as they seem to always have terrific teams.

While looking at past games and Serra, St. Francis & Bells I remembered that terrific Bellarmine-Folsom game - a regional playoff game in which Folsom was the heavy favorite. Playing at home on its famous [or infamous depending on how much you like blue artificial grass] Folsom had a 43 home field winning streak going back 5 seasons' - with the Bulldogs unbeatable on their home turf. I have to admit at the time I was just hoping the game would be competitive and not another Folsom blow-out. That game left Folsom fans stunned...

Lest some of forget about the DLS NorCal streak - Yes it ended at 30 seasons' with the St. Francis win, however the streak continues against NCS foes as St. Francis is obviously in the CCS.
Had always thought Pitt would be the team to break that streak as they seem to always have terrific teams.

While looking at past games and Serra, St. Francis & Bells I remembered that terrific Bellarmine-Folsom game - a regional playoff game in which Folsom was the heavy favorite. Playing at home on its famous [or infamous depending on how much you like blue artificial grass] Folsom had a 43 home field winning streak going back 5 seasons' - with the Bulldogs unbeatable on their home turf. I have to admit at the time I was just hoping the game would be competitive and not another Folsom blow-out. That game left Folsom fans stunned...

That was a great game

Seems like every one of those SF kids on the line is between 6”2-6”4 270-300+ and they are athletic. They aren’t fat and slow. The RB Tea is a truck 5”11 200. They don’t have the skill players as the south but in the trenches this is a damn good team that will hold their own.
They will lose by 3 possibly 4 Tugs in the open bowl game. They had a great year and did what many in Norcal thought would never happen. But they aren’t in the same league as those teams in SoCal, and frankly not positive they have the heart/tradition of the DLS program that keeps those kids grinding even when it seem impossible. I for one think if DLS and SF played again with a bowl birth on the line DLS wins, saying that I don’t think that game should happen. SF handles business they should be able to walk in like DLS has now for years. DLS should be forced to play to get in and all the D1 babies can cry foul if need be.

They will lose by 3 possibly 4 Tugs in the open bowl game. They had a great year and did what many in Norcal thought would never happen. But they aren’t in the same league as those teams in SoCal, and frankly not positive they have the heart/tradition of the DLS program that keeps those kids grinding even when it seem impossible. I for one think if DLS and SF played again with a bowl birth on the line DLS wins, saying that I don’t think that game should happen. SF handles business they should be able to walk in like DLS has now for years. DLS should be forced to play to get in and all the D1 babies can cry foul if need be.
DLS never refused to play anybody for the NorCal Bowl berth. Other NorCal teams didn't want to play them. Nobody ever had to force DLS. They weren't the team refusing to play anyone. If SF runs the table in CCS they should be fine. But who knows what the NorCal playoff matchups will bring

Personally I think DLS would win a rematch. But they had the opportunity to play St. Francis and both knew exactly what that game meant and what they were playing for. I do not like that there is no Open playoff (aka Folsom rule). But with that rule in place everyone knows exactly what they need to do ahead of time. This includes scheduling and wining games against the teams you will be vying against for the Open bid. No excuses. You get one shot in a lot of things, this was one of them. Now if St. Francis should somehow get shocked by say Serra then let the DLS/Rocklin/Serra debates begin.

St Francis defeated DLS head to head and if they win it out should be in the running to go to the Open final. In any event, it won't be DLS this year. Time to see another Norcal team in the Open. The choice won't do any worse against Socal's best this season. If Rocklin wins out, either team would be a good choice. If DLS wins out in NCS, the Lancers should go if they run the table.

It will be a tough choice if it comes down to undefeated Rocklin, one loss Serra and two loss DLS.

Could make a good argument for any of the three.

But yes, St. Francis controls its destiny as long as it keeps winning

St Francis defeated DLS head to head and if they win it out should be in the running to go to the Open final. In any event, it won't be DLS this year. Time to see another Norcal team in the Open. The choice won't do any worse against Socal's best this season. If Rocklin wins out, either team would be a good choice. If DLS wins out in NCS, the Lancers should go if they run the table.
If SF wins out they won’t be in the running they will be in the open and deservedly so. If SF loses then DLS will probably be in the open. IMO Rocklin is going to be ass out. I think SF will win out and DLS and Rocklin will play for D1/D1aa whatever the next level down is and unless the losers can advance to the lower game Rocklin will be watching SBG’s from home. I think the best thing that can happen for Rocklin is that SF loses. But that’s just my opinion.

I would Take DLS in a Rematch with SF…. While SF’s big win over Serra was Impressive, I am feeling Serra might have Been overrated Defensively this year by people like me who thought they were the Best Team In Nor Cal…..

Serra beat VC 28-21 and Beat VC Again 41-30 (I Think)…. PITT Beat VC 41-20 so it seems Serra and PITT are about the same…. So I put Serra with PITT on a Tier lower then SF, DLS, Rocklin…..

Along with DLS, SF is the Best Team in Nor Cal this year and Deserves the Open 100% because they Scheduled and Beat DLS on the field, no question, as long they win their Section SF Earned The Open and DLS did not…..

The Game I really want to see is DLS vs Rocklin…. Since the “Folsom Rule” this will be the first time we will see a team have to play DLS to go to a SBG and undefeated Rocklin is actually Built to beat DLS….. This would be the most anticipated playoff game in Nor Cal since The first Open regional in 2012…..

And think about this, if Rocklin Plays and Beats DLS then we will have a real argument to do away with the “Folsom Rule”….. Because if Both Rocklin and SF are undefeated and Rocklin would have an actual Playoff Win over DLS who would you say is the “True” #1 Team in Nor Cal and who really “Deserves” The Open Birth?….. SF or Rocklin?….. 🤣

I would Take DLS in a Rematch with SF…. While SF’s big win over Serra was Impressive, I am feeling Serra might have Been overrated Defensively this year by people like me who thought they were the Best Team In Nor Cal…..

Serra beat VC 28-21 and Beat VC Again 41-30 (I Think)…. PITT Beat VC 41-20 so it seems Serra and PITT are about the same…. So I put Serra with PITT on a Tier lower then SF, DLS, Rocklin…..

Along with DLS, SF is the Best Team in Nor Cal this year and Deserves the Open 100% because they Scheduled and Beat DLS on the field, no question, as long they win their Section SF Earned The Open and DLS did not…..

The Game I really want to see is DLS vs Rocklin…. Since the “Folsom Rule” this will be the first time we will see a team have to play DLS to go to a SBG and undefeated Rocklin is actually Built to beat DLS….. This would be the most anticipated playoff game in Nor Cal since The first Open regional in 2012…..

And think about this, if Rocklin Plays and Beats DLS then we will have a real argument to do away with the “Folsom Rule”….. Because if Both Rocklin and SF are undefeated and Rocklin would have an actual Playoff Win over DLS who would you say is the “True” #1 Team in Nor Cal and who really “Deserves” The Open Birth?….. SF or Rocklin?….. 🤣
Really hoping to see Rocklin and DLS as wel in a Norcal game. Play it at Napa Memorial.

If SF wins out they won’t be in the running they will be in the open and deservedly so. If SF loses then DLS will probably be in the open. IMO Rocklin is going to be ass out. I think SF will win out and DLS and Rocklin will play for D1/D1aa whatever the next level down is and unless the losers can advance to the lower game Rocklin will be watching SBG’s from home. I think the best thing that can happen for Rocklin is that SF loses. But that’s just my opinion.
Curious what would happen if Serra beats St. Francis CCS section, Rocklin emerges as SJS section and DLS NCS.
How do they determine who deserves open vs. RBG D1AA/D1A etc.

Also how do they decide who plays who for RBG, CCS vs SJS, NCS, Central etc. It seems like Rocklin SJS and Sparty NCS would be on a collision course if St. Francis wins out but its confusing...

If Rocklin wins out section, obviously it would be a herculean path to state but still pretty cool to see a DLS vs. Rocklin game.

I think this is spot on. I don’t see SF losing. Yeah they will go into open bowl as huge underdogs but so would DLS. Personally I think SF will open some eyes and play southern team tough.

If rocklin starting qb was healthy I would say rocklin could beat DLS. Without him I don’t think they are good enough offensively. Even with that said I think it will be like 21-14 type game.

Reactions: Santa Ball
Anyone getting sick and tired of people complaining that DLS is not headed to the Open this year? It doesn’t matter how St. Francis beat them… they beat them. It doesn’t matter who would win a rematch. End of story. Unless something weird happens in the next two weeks, DLS will be in D-1AA.

There’s been some idiot on Twitter complaining about this, too, claiming that SF doesn’t deserve the Open bid because of a “weak” schedule and that they “stole” the game from the Spartans.

Just like how a lot of fans in the SS have been going on about some 10-0 teams that got bounced in the first round of the playoffs, as if there was some unwritten rule that those are supposed to automatically be fed some hapless 5-5 opponent so that they could go 11-0.

The sense of entitlement is embarrassing.
Agree with you. I just wish NorCal got its balls back and played for the Open slot instead of awarding it.

If SF wins CCS they are in the OPEN and should be. If SF loses…. and Rocklin is still undefeated…. People on this board will go CRAZY because Rocklin will not be playing in the OPEN. The SJS loves trophies. There is No trophy for NorCal reps in the OPEN. SJS will put its teams in the best position to win a trophy.

Agree with you. I just wish NorCal got its balls back and played for the Open slot instead of awarding it.
Everyone here doesn't seem to realize that this Open situation doesn't exist in a bubble. All 10 CIF sections voted yes on it. Even if the CCS, NCS, and SJS all advocated for a change back, the SS, CS, and SDS could all very easily override it.

Right now, it would make no sense for either the SS or the SDS to agree to a change back. The SS setup their playoffs much like how the CCS and CS did, using competitive equity to clearly delineate between D-I, D-II, etc. You could not possibly ask them to set up an Open regional game between the SS D-I winner and the D-II winner, nor the SDS or LACS Open champs. That would be stupid. The only way that an SDS top team would play for a title is to try to get through the SS D-II winner. There is no way they'd agree to force their champ to face Mater Dei or St. John Bosco.

You all keep calling this a "Folsom" rule, but it's not that simple (even if you are right, which you aren't). Every single section wanted this change. There is no incentive for anyone to go back to the old way, that includes the NCS in this current situation. DLS, I'm 100% certain, would say that they deserve the NorCal D-1AA regional game if St. Francis wins CCS. I haven't heard a peep from the Spartan program, nor would I expect one, complaining about the current status. It's only people on here that seem to have a weird belief that only DLS can be considered a top team.

It's time for everyone to get over it.

3-4 Tugs? They will lose by 7-8 Tugs.

DLS never refused to play anybody for the NorCal Bowl berth. Other NorCal teams didn't want to play them. Nobody ever had to force DLS. They weren't the team refusing to play anyone. If SF runs the table in CCS they should be fine. But who knows what the NorCal playoff matchups will bring
I never said or implied DLS didn’t want to play to get in, my comment was directed at every program, coach, parent, fan, you name it in Norcal that allowed this avoid DLS BS to happen. I have been waiting for the inevitable to happen and it looks like it finally has, they lost. Well guess what? Now the babies have to face DLS in a lower bracket it’s frankly justice.

It is difficult but usually the norm, I think. Seems like in recent years the team at the top that defeats a top contender the first time around, also beats them the second time.

Reactions: concrete17
I never said or implied DLS didn’t want to play to get in, my comment was directed at every program, coach, parent, fan, you name it in Norcal that allowed this avoid DLS BS to happen. I have been waiting for the inevitable to happen and it looks like it finally has, they lost. Well guess what? Now the babies have to face DLS in a lower bracket it’s frankly justice.
Agree. All those fans of teams who bragged about DLS losing to St Francis are cometary quiet about the prospect of having to face DLS themselves in a playoff matchup. Not speaking about NCS teams, as they are all too familiar.

With Folsom's Tyler Tremain back for Folsom, will the Bulldogs be in position to defeat Rocklin. Seems the spread in earlier match will be closed significantly. It seems Rocklin may not be a shoe in the win the section and is a rematch between DLS and Folsom awaiting? Bulldog offense should be better and that helps defense.

With Folsom's Tyler Tremain back for Folsom, will the Bulldogs be in position to defeat Rocklin. Seems the spread in earlier match will be closed significantly. It seems Rocklin may not be a shoe in the win the section and is a rematch between DLS and Folsom awaiting? Bulldog offense should be better and that helps defense.
Does he play offensive or defensive line? That’s where Rocklin looks to have a big edge.

Agree. All those fans of teams who bragged about DLS losing to St Francis are cometary quiet about the prospect of having to face DLS themselves in a playoff matchup. Not speaking about NCS teams, as they are all too familiar.
Well, perhaps they’re being quiet about it is because they know it’s not possible and don’t want to waste their time on the topic.

No, if Buchanan wins CS D-I, I think they’ll be playing DLS. Folsom would drop to D-1A and they had better damn well win that or we’ll never hear the end of it on the national board.

Folsom will not get through Rocklin if they even get past Jesuit. Tremain is an average QB with some speed, not a game winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT