ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Folsom v De La Salle

Tickets are available now online if you use mobile app. I bought two tickets for the game. Other thread has the information.

Reactions: concrete17
Spread teams rarely win squat and they’re prone to being soft because they need the agility along th lines. Then Alabama or IMG come in a destroy them.

Corona Centennial has had 20 years of sustained success down south running a spread offense with smaller, athletic players . They have competed well against MD, Bosco, DLS, Bishop Gorman and IMG. Coaching and core strength are key factors that enable these types of teams to compete at the highest levels in HS Football.

Corona Centennial has had 20 years of sustained success down south running a spread offense with smaller, athletic players . They have competed well against MD, Bosco, DLS, Bishop Gorman and IMG. Coaching and core strength are key factors that enable these types of teams to compete at the highest levels in HS Football.

...And other than a one season when they had Vontaze Burfict, they always get abused by the physical teams once the playoffs and Bowl games hit. And as I said in the OP, HS super teams don't count. Cen10 has been about as close to a super team as a public school can get for at least a decade.

...And other than a one season when they had Vontaze Burfict, they always get abused by the physical teams once the playoffs and Bowl games hit. And as I said in the OP, HS super teams don't count. Cen10 has been about as close to a super team as a public school can get for at least a decade.

Abused in the playoffs? Not really. They won the Southern Section Championship in 2016 beating St John Bosco . If they didn't lose their QB last year, they beat them again

Still very early (haven't even had scrimmages yet), but I think the Open game will be double digits for the south. Those two or three teams are just different than the rest, including DLS
Lets not forget the year it rained in 2010 ... NorCal always has a chance being underdogs in years it rains (e.g., Palo Alto upset 5th in the nation ranked Centennial 15-13. LOL I still can picture the DLS player running full speed and diving and sliding yards on the turf in the 2010 48-8 stunner over nationally ranked #4 Servite in the Open game. Lets hope for rain again. LOL

Reactions: awood1
Then they run into DLS and lose....

...but not abused in the playoffs, which was your original statement. CC has played DLS tough .Most DLS fans acknowledge that. CC beat them once for a state championship. CC has a winning record against MD and has beaten Bosco more than once in the playoffs ..something DLS cannot say .

...but not abused in the playoffs, which was your original statement. CC has played DLS tough .Most DLS fans acknowledge that. CC beat them once for a state championship. CC has a winning record against MD and has beaten Bosco more than once in the playoffs ..something DLS cannot say .

Good points. We’ll just agree to disagree.

Good points. We’ll just agree to disagree.

You can agree to disagree all you want, but @RedZone90 is spot on. I honestly don’t know how you can argue against with a serious face.

Centennial has played the very best in the Nation for years and more than held their own. They’ve come closer to beating IMG than anyone else and would have won the game had they not scored too quickly.

Add that to their performances against BG, SJB and MD and that they’ve run through the PAC5 gauntlet multiple times and the soft argument is proven flawed. Losing to a storied program such as DLS doesn’t invalidate them in the least. Lots of excellent physically strong teams have lost to DLS over the years. 2001 POLY wasn’t soft at all. DLS was just better that day.

You can agree to disagree all you want, but @RedZone90 is spot on. I honestly don’t know how you can argue against with a serious face.

Centennial has played the very best in the Nation for years and more than held their own. They’ve come closer to beating IMG than anyone else and would have won the game had they not scored too quickly.

Add that to their performances against BG, SJB and MD and that they’ve run through the PAC5 gauntlet multiple times and the soft argument is proven flawed. Losing to a storied program such as DLS doesn’t invalidate them in the least. Lots of excellent physically strong teams have lost to DLS over the years. 2001 POLY wasn’t soft at all. DLS was just better that day.

At there very beginning of this conversation, I said that, in my opinion, HSFB doesn’t count. Cen10 is a great program. When a team like that can accumulate that many athletes and spread out a HS defense, it works....for the most part. Not every team can pull it off though. At the next level the spread teams are AlWAYS soft. Jeez...how many time did we have to see TTech or Hawaii or Cal put up 40 points a game only to get destroyed by power football when it mattered. The NFL won’t even entertain the idea of a spread offense. Why? Bdcause athletes are too big, too strong, and too fast. And experienced defensive coordinators use that talent to shut that sh*t down. When a team is dropping back to pass 75% of the time, you’re telling me that they are good at getting that last 10-20 yards to score against power teams? We’ve seen empirical evidence foenje oast decade has shows that it doesn’t work.

...and after watching the scrimmage tonight, I see theee things.

1. DLS D is going to give Folsom fits
2. Hale is legit. Great/accurate arm and is great runner.
3. Folsom had better not sleep on Jesuit.

Last edited:
...and after watching the scrimmage tonight, I see theee things.

1. DLS D is going to give Folsom fits
2. Hale is legit. Great/accurate arm and is great runner.
3. Folsom had better not sleep on Jesuit.

Hale is a true dual-threat. Very quick and shifty. Accurate passer and surprisingly strong arm to get the ball downfield and a lefty to boot. If DLS doesn't turn the ball over like last season, they are going to score a lot of points this season. It will be tough to stack the box on the Spartans this season and Hale can take it to the bank. He brings another dimension the Spartans have missed for a while and doesn't play like a soph.

Hale is a true dual-threat. Very quick and shifty. Accurate passer and surprisingly strong arm to get the ball downfield and a lefty to boot. If DLS doesn't turn the ball over like last season, they are going to score a lot of points this season. It will be tough to stack the box on the Spartans this season and Hale can take it to the bank. He brings another dimension the Spartans have missed for a while and doesn't play like a soph.

Agree 100%. He doesn’t look nor play like a soph. He looks like he’s grown an inch or 2. I say he’s now 6-0 175. I know it’s just one scrimmage, but you can see IT. Think about good he’ll be as a junior and senior.

Speaking of sophomores. How about the 2 TD catches that #19 WR had?! That one handed grab flag catch and run was sick. Not to mention it was a perfect throw from Hale. And the #22 RB, and #57 OL/DL? The coaches have gotta be pretty excited about this group.

SpartanzRule, If he made good points, please tell me your not disagreeing just to be obstinate.
It's OK to be wrong once in awhile.

Here's wishing you great football

Thanks. Back at ya!

I enjoy bantering with posters. Especially posters who make sensible arguments (not Folsom by 17 for 4 months straight). He made a good argument, and respect his view. I let him know that. But it doesn’t change my position on spread offenses. I feel like I’ve supported my view as well. At some point we just have to agree to disagree or it turns into a cash/g61/kingera/FPB/block/FSC situation.

Not being obstinate nor diegeneous. Just wanna keep it civil.

Reactions: RedZone90
Agree 100%. He doesn’t look nor play like a soph. He looks like he’s grown an inch or 2. I say he’s now 6-0 175. I know it’s just one scrimmage, but you can see IT. Think about good he’ll be as a junior and senior.

Speaking of sophomores. How about the 2 TD catches that #19 WR had?! That one handed grab flag catch and run was sick. Not to mention it was a perfect throw from Hale. And the #22 RB, and #57 OL/DL? The coaches have gotta be pretty excited about this group.
Being this excited about a scrimmage means just as much as the Browns undefeated preseason record the last 2 seasons. Means nothing and could signal some anxiety for Friday night.

Thanks. Back at ya!

I enjoy bantering with posters. Especially posters who make sensible arguments (not Folsom by 17 for 4 months straight). He made a good argument, and respect his view. I let him know that. But it doesn’t change my position on spread offenses. I feel like I’ve supported my view as well. At some point we just have to agree to disagree or it turns into a cash/g61/kingera/FPB/block/FSC situation.

Not being obstinate nor diegeneous. Just wanna keep it civil.
I like supporting your point with facts. Makes for good arguments. And remember, just because you dont like the facts or arguments, doesn't make them untrue.

I just have an extremely hard time thinking DLS is going to shut down Folsom with all the weapons they have. QB, WRs, RBs are all D1 level guys. Even 1 or 2 possible NFLers in there. I just dont see it, especially with a mobile QB which is what DLS seems to struggle a bit with.

Defensively, Folsom will be better than last year. I dont think the veer is dynamic enough to outscore what Folsom is going to put up. Of course, this is week 0, so expect the unexpected.

I know the DLS guys will come on here and try to minimize what Folsom has and maximize what DLS has. But the fact remains that this is simply banter and they will have to face the full music, all these weapons, all these athletes, on Friday. I have a hard time believing much of what the DLS posters are peddling. The sane ones I know believe this game will be extremely close and wouldn't be surprised to see Folsom win.

If Too'too from Sacramento, does in fact not play, as is the rumor, I dont think DLS wins. If he does somehow play, will he be 100 percent? No way. Big advantage to Folsom. I hope he plays at 100 percent personally because I already see an excuse brewing. I hope it isnt that way.

Good luck to both teams. We are lucky to see 2 great programs collide like this.

Cathedral Catholic, OR, Oakdale, Helix, Central Fresno, Grant are all on par if not tougher than the top tier teams De La Salle has beaten.

I think this is close to a 50/50 game, but take exception to this claim

Cathedral Catholic was 2014, so I assume you're going back at least that far

DLS has beaten CC in SBG twice since then (once when they were ranked #1 in country in week 17) and SJC were all a couple or three levels above anyone you listed. Your list is more comparable to Pittsburg '17, Freedom '16, Monte Vista '16, Orange Lutheran '15, Del Oro '15, LBP '15, Foothill '15, Byrnes (SC) '14, Service '14 etc.

I guess DLS also played same Central team -- just didn't make DLS's list

If Too'too from Sacramento, does in fact not play, as is the rumor, I dont think DLS wins. If he does somehow play, will he be 100 percent? No way. Big advantage to Folsom.

Hadn't heard he's questionable -- what's story?

That would tilt the evaluation for sure. To'oto'o will be best player on field -- DLS's player from Sac is even better than Folsom's players from Reno

Reactions: SpartanzRule
That would tilt the evaluation for sure. To'oto'o will be best player on field -- DLS's player from Sac is even better than Folsom's players from Reno
You will have to ask the DLS peeps. I only report what I know.

And nobody on that field Friday night is better than Ngata.

Reactions: Las Vegas_JC
Agree about Ngata. He's in a class by himself and the little brother isn't far off.

I have a strange feeling this game isn't going to be close. DLS either smashes Folsom like 42-14 or Folsom takes it to DLS. Sounds strange and unlikely but these games tend not to live up to hype especially this early in the season. Could be sloppy and one sided. I'm probably wrong but was thinking about it the other day.... Hopefully the stars show up and the role players do there thing on both sides of the ball.

It looks like Coach A has made an effort to add another dimension to the Spartan attack in order to compete with the likes of the MDs and SJBs. They were pretty much shut down last season. Yes they scored but if you can't control the ball against those teams with a credible pass attack, no chance to beat them. DLS has had some really good passing QBs in the past - but this kid is going to be a threat to run or pass and looks like he is a perfect Veer QB to boot. If MD defeats IMG when they play and if MD defeats SJB or vice versa, either DLS or even Folsom (or Open Champ in general) has a potential path to the National Championship. Still takes winning ome big games and getting into the Open Final.

Too bad the frosh won't be squaring off at the event. I hear Folsom has a highly rated freshman QB coming up - David Clark III. Pittsburg also has one coming up - Safdar Mccrary.

Reactions: coachlittle
IYes they scored but if you can't control the ball against those teams with a credible pass attack, no chance to beat them. DLS has had some really good passing QBs in the past - but this kid is going to be a threat to run or pass and looks like he is a perfect Veer QB to boot.

The kid will be tossing the ball to that TE a few times this season.

would be huge and make things real interesting on a national level if the winner of the game wins outs and has a dominate win over the southern section champ; MD,SJB,CC. Not sure if thats enough to win the national championship but its a real strong resume. Folsom may need a few more scenarios to unfold with the teams on their schedule but the open state championship could also be the national championship game this year.

On a side note, i was curious to know on a previous post if any other norcal team has ever won a national championship outside of dls. My best guess was cordova because ive heard they were the real deal back in the 70's. Well this past weekend i go charter fishing out of Berkley and find the answer. How cool yall, I got to fish and break bread with the 1976 rancho cordova great running back mr. Bailey who said they were the national champions that year. Also said he was being inducted into the hall of fame. Cool dude, a good fisherman, and a self described great swimmer. Anyways thought I'd show him and his lancer teammates some love and give them a shot out, just in case any of them visit this site.

would be huge and make things real interesting on a national level if the winner of the game wins outs and has a dominate win over the southern section champ; MD,SJB,CC. Not sure if thats enough to win the national championship but its a real strong resume. Folsom may need a few more scenarios to unfold with the teams on their schedule but the open state championship could also be the national championship game this year.

On a side note, i was curious to know on a previous post if any other norcal team has ever won a national championship outside of dls. My best guess was cordova because ive heard they were the real deal back in the 70's. Well this past weekend i go charter fishing out of Berkley and find the answer. How cool yall, I got to fish and break bread with the 1976 rancho cordova great running back mr. Bailey who said they were the national champions that year. Also said he was being inducted into the hall of fame. Cool dude, a good fisherman, and a self described great swimmer. Anyways thought I'd show him and his lancer teammates some love and give them a shot out, just in case any of them visit this site.

Along those lines:
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article4899681.html

http://www.cordovacouncil.org/2016-rancho-cordova-sports-hall-of-fa

Last edited:
Reactions: Sacchiefs
Outside of DeLaSalle 7 named National titles, the 1954 Vallejo HS, Vallejo, CA 9–0 HC Bob Patterson was named national champions by National Sports News Service (NSNS) and is the only other team from NorCal. DLS is second overall in terms of titles behind Massillon, OH, Washington and 1 ahead of Valdosta HS, GA. Here is the list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_...ampionships_by_school_(multiple_winners_only)

1975 Los Angeles, CA, Loyola 13–0 Marty Shaughnessy named by NSNS.

Cordova was not national champ that year. Close, but not #1 by the entity that was considered to have that call. The NSNS. Great teams though and I believe CalHiSports didn't have Loyola as number 1 in CA and it was probably Cordova (I believe that may have been Cordova ranked in state ahead of the mythical National Champion- I'm sure Cal14 or some of the DLS posters would remember who). There wasn't a state championship at the time and like the mythical National Champion so was the state #1 ranked team. That I believe is the discrepency with Cordova not being named National Champ.

1975 Lancers Football Team
Considered by many to be the best football team to ever come out of this part of the country, the '75 Lancers was the State Team of the Year and was close to being a mythical national champion. Cordova '75 is also widely considered to be the best team from a decade of dominance by the Lancers under head coaches Dewey Guerra and Ron Lancaster that was the best decade any NorCal school ever had until De La Salle emerged almost three decades later. Cordova went 102-6-1 in the 1970s, which was not only the best record in the state, but the best in the nation.
http://www.cordovacouncil.org/rancho-cordova-sports-hall-of-fame-2015

As I recall Davidson was corrected on that article in 2014

Last edited:
Reactions: Sacchiefs
Thx for the clarification fellas. I wasnt sure if the og mr. Bailey was pulling a quick on me or being honest. You know how them fishing stories can go? Again he was a cool kat and you can add good fisherman to his legacy.

“Cordova was not national champ that year. Close, but not #1 by the entity that was considered to have that call. The NSNS.”

Interesting. So who has the official call now? It seems there are many publications/websites that name a national champ, and every school that gets named by 1 of them considers themselves to be national champs. I’ve seen DLS boosters cite various sites and then do some kind of avaraging them. It’s all mythical anyway. If they were considered to be the best team in the nation by 1 publication, why throw that out? Or was NSNS official then?

“Cordova was not national champ that year. Close, but not #1 by the entity that was considered to have that call. The NSNS.”

Interesting. So who has the official call now? It seems there are many publications/websites that name a national champ, and every school that gets named by 1 of them considers themselves to be national champs. I’ve seen DLS boosters cite various sites and then do some kind of avaraging them. It’s all mythical anyway. If they were considered to be the best team in the nation by 1 publication, why throw that out? Or was NSNS official then?

At the time NSNS was recognized as awarding that designation but nowadays there are several recognized...Rivals, Maxpreps, USA Today. At the time it was awarded to the best high school football team(s) in the United States of America based on rankings from USA Today and the National Prep Poll. CalHiSports ranked only California. 1975 was before I started following HS football and long before I followed the National polls but there may have been other sources or national polls but the mythical National Championship recognized at the time was the NSNS. There has been a long attempt to have a National Championship bowl even at that time. California had a state championship game off and on before the current format. Cordova very well could have been the best team in the nation in 1975 as are the teams currently in consideration for #1. Being named #1 in the Nation is still mythical although there seem to be more games against top teams (e.g., upcoming Mater Dei versus IMG Academy that could be a #2 and #3 ranked teams facing off)

https://www.calhisports.com/2015/01/23/vote-for-all-time-greatest-fb-teams/

The aforementioned teams are on that list, along with a few that may have been forgotten/overlooked.
Thanks. The article confirms Cordova was named state #1 but Loyola was awarded National Champ.CalHiSports was new and at the time due to that not considered a reputable source as it is today. Not bashing Cordova - just stating a fact as far as the ratings services. As anyone knows it is subjective opinion although Freeman / Maxpreps utilizes an algorytm in its ratings/rankings.

Just a follow up....peole gave me a hard time for saying the 2014 folsom team would have beaten dls...but as i pointed out and as indicated in this article...a national writer who saw dls bg and folsom all play, stated folsom had the best defense that year...add that to the incredible offensive line and the offense and 2014 would have beaten dls 2014 and probably by more than a td

Reactions: feedback1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT