ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Folsom v De La Salle

My two cents -
Like everyone else, I'm glad this game is coming...it needed to happen. The most interesting match-up will be Folsom O vs. DLS D as it will have each teams best athletes on the field at the same time. Folsom has the incredible Reno Express, DLS has one of their best defenses returning with 9 starters, geez! With regards to the other match-ups, DLS O line (heavy on talent) will take over the front seven of Folsom D (Not the most talented of the players returning), which will make a serious impact on the game. Special teams is not even close as DLS does the best job in the country...they are crazy good at this phase of the game!

With all said, the game should be closer than most anticipate.

9 of 11 defensive players 6 of 11 offensive played the tough schedule 2017. 6 of those 22 played 2016. They have been hit by the heavyweights. So yes Folsom will be playing those kids. I think it will be competitive. But I know Folsom hasn't seen anything CLOSE to DLS.

I don’t really care about teams being “hit by heavyweights” because I don’t think it makes much of a difference. So we can agree to disagree.

My read is that Folsom REALLY wanted a game in 2018 and would be willing to do a one-year deal (playing at DLS). Normally games are scheduled home and home, but the Folsom coach was willing to give up the second year, and a home game/gate, if that was an impediment to a game in 2018. And clearly it was a consideration given they had to do week 3 in 2019.

But I guess its all a matter of what bias you read the coach's statement with.
No bias at all Feed. You provided more info that was not in the coaches original post....Your info provides another avenue...nothing more or less...

Should be fun. Sure hope DLS can find a QB that can at least throw the ball 10 yards down the field. Can you imagine how much that would open up that great run game? At least having the option of throwing. Last couple years DLS has had some really average QB's back there. I mean average by any HS standards yet alone DLS or Folsom. (And I don't want to hear the argument about yeah they win.... If you had that sort of talent around you most kids can hand the ball off. Time to step up and get a real QB)

Reactions: thekingera
Please entertain me. What HS team in Norcal has had better offensive players in one year than Folsom has returning? I'm sure I'm missing a name or 2 but all of these kids are going to be playing major college football and Joe Ngata will be catching balls on sunday.

Couldn't agree with you more from a skill level perspective. Folsom has a chance to win because, on the whole, they'll have the best skill talent on the field. However, the one factor DLS always has in their favor when facing NorCal competition is line play on both sides of the ball. That's one of the biggest reasons they still have an active 288 game unbeaten streak north of Fresno.

That's why everyone talks about Folsom's 2014 team with such reverence. Because that team had the skill talent AND the line play with Jonah Williams, Cody Creason, Sam Whitney and others. The question is, will this 2018 Folsom team have the horses needed to hold their own? If they do, they'll probably win. If they don't, DLS will likely be able to withstand the disparity in skill talent.

Joe Ngata- 5 star (will be most highly recruited player ever from SJS)

I gotta disagree with you here. No disrespect toward Joe Ngata who is a phenomenal talent and right up their with Shaq Thompson as the best to come out of the area the past 10 years, but it's impossible to top Cordova's Kevin Willhite, who was the CA's top recruit in 1982 and considered by some outlets as the #1 recruit in the Nation.

FWIW, Willhite was named National HS Player of the Year in 1981 getting the nod over both Bo Jackson and Marcus Dupree. In other words, the bar was set impossibly high.

Reactions: remc and observer22
I have a question...who was the last team who couldn’t stop the veer and beat DLS?

I like Folsom in this one. Folsom has the athletes to give the Spartans fits. They got thoroughbreds, gazelles, jack rabbits, quarter horses. Their line play should be better than it was last season. Folsom should be able to get their athletes in space and put points on the board. I see DLS having to score with them which might be tough. The veer historically doesn't hit week 0 like it does later in the season.

There may be a new King in the North!

Who does DLS have at RB now that Kairee graduated? They'll need that one playmaker to break off runs on the offensive side.

I love it when the posters like Joe Mixon are the main reason this game is happening. He called it in regards to Folsom should schedule Chaminade. He also said, before you can be the best in NorCal you have to play the best in NorCal. Now Folsom is playing the best in NorCal, DLS. Posters do make a difference. Shot out to Grant poster "Future10" for pressing Folsom on their lack luster scheduling. It mattered as we now can see.

Reactions: RidgeRider
I like Folsom in this one. Folsom has the athletes to give the Spartans fits. They got thoroughbreds, gazelles, jack rabbits, quarter horses. Their line play should be better than it was last season. Folsom should be able to get their athletes in space and put points on the board. I see DLS having to score with them which might be tough. The veer historically doesn't hit week 0 like it does later in the season.

There may be a new King in the North!

Folsom's WR's are a nightmare that 99% can't deal with. Both are big, physical and fast. Unless you've got two premier DB's with size, you aren't stopping the both of them. Folsom runs a ton of WR screens too, which could help them negate the Spartans pass rush. DLS's defense is usually among the very best tackling in the open field, but these 2 WR's aren't like others.

As many have said already, the real key is how well Folsom's defense can hold up against the veer. Can they get a couple stops or keep DLS from controlling the clock?

Folsom's WR's are a nightmare that 99% can't deal with. Both are big, physical and fast. Unless you've got two premier DB's with size, you aren't stopping the both of them. Folsom runs a ton of WR screens too, which could help them negate the Spartans pass rush. DLS's defense is usually among the very best tackling in the open field, but these 2 WR's aren't like others.

As many have said already, the real key is how well Folsom's defense can hold up against the veer. Can they get a couple stops or keep DLS from controlling the clock?

It's all speculation but I like their chances at getting some stops. Folsom has speed on the other side of the ball too. With that offense a couple stops is all they may need. I see this being a good game.

I see it coming down to, can Folsom control DLS Offensive line with that rolling start, ( often a gray area) That, and perfect technique is what makes there run game so strong.
I don't see folsom having trouble getting points.

Here's wishing a great football game.

This ^.

It’s all about matchups. Folsom are good at figuring out where your weaknesses are “in game” and pouncing with their great athletes.

On offense, they will poke around early in the game looking to see where their matchup mismatches are and then they exploit them. They constantly and consistently change plays, based on the oppositions defensive alignment on each play, after they line up on O and see how the defense sets. Not many teams are good at adjusting to their per play adjustments or even know how cause often they change the play without changing the offensive formation they originally lined up in.

Anyway, I think DLS will prevail but they will have their hands full.

Too bad DLS cant move to the SFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
This ^.

It’s all about matchups. Folsom are good at figuring out where your weaknesses are “in game” and pouncing with their great athletes.

On offense, they will poke around early in the game looking to see where their matchup mismatches are and then they exploit them. They constantly and consistently change plays based on the defensive alignment when they line up on O. Not many teams are good at adjusting to their adjustments or even know how cause often they change the play to take advantage of defensuve alignment without changing the offensive formation.

Anyway, I think DLS will prevail but they will gave their hands full.

Too bad DLS cant move to the SFL.
It sounds to me like your talking about coaching. Richardson and staff very good. I think DLS has the edge here.

It sounds to me like your talking about coaching. Richardson and staff very good. I think DLS has the edge here.

Maybe they do, "in game" Folsom is pretty good, but DLS coaches probably prep their kids better for the season than anyone. Overall, the edge might be DLS but its slim if at all.

This should be a great game! This is what everyone wanted to see. I am just glad it is happening. With the addition of DLS and Chaminade to the Bulldogs schedule, this could shape up to be one of the tougher schedules out there.

What is most intriguing about the Folsom/DLS match up, is that it is week 0. I think Folsom has a slight advantage with this, versus facing the green machine at the end of the season. With that said, I do agree with the other posters that DLS should have an advantage on the lines. Folsom's lines were all juniors last year. No doubt they will be bigger, faster, and stronger next year. But, I would still give the advantage to DLS in that aspect.

I also agree with other posters that the skill position match ups are what makes this game worth watching. I wonder what DLS will choose to go with in order to contain the Ngata Express, among others like Badger and Co. I think Folsom has an edge here. My guess is that DLS will go with what worked in 2012-2013 and throw everything including the kitchen sink at Bennett, and hope he will make mistakes. The only difference in 2018 versus 2012/2013 is that Bennett is extremely mobile and can accurately throw the ball. This is what makes this match up so fun to talk about and wonder what it may look like on the field.

I don't know that I would give the edge to either team at this point. It will come down to Folsom being able to stop the veer, and DLS being able to at least contain the Folsom weapons. This might be one of the funnest games to watch in the last decade in Norcal, IMHO.

Anyone have any intel on if DLS is considering moving the venue to a larger one, say Diablo Valley College? I only ask because DLSs home field will not come close to accommodating the huge crowd that will want to see this match up live. Maybe it's gets made up for with an ESPN broadcast? One can only hope......

What a great thing for NorCal football fans!

I'm not trying to talk trash here. All I'm saying is DLS plays the top teams. And yes this year they will play top teams starting week 0. It's long overdue.
You are right. DLS does play the top teams.

But- for this match up it's 0-0, 2018 DLS versus 0-0, 2018 Folsom. It doesn't matter what either team has done in the past, as those were completely different teams.

Using past results for a titanic HS match up like this, means next to zero. And I can assure you that nobody on the DLS or Folsom team cares about these past results. Folsom is getting the shot they want and DLS is getting the shot at proving they are still the top dog in NorCal in 2018.

Here's to great football gents!

This should be a great game! This is what everyone wanted to see. I am just glad it is happening. With the addition of DLS and Chaminade to the Bulldogs schedule, this could shape up to be one of the tougher schedules out there.

What is most intriguing about the Folsom/DLS match up, is that it is week 0. I think Folsom has a slight advantage with this, versus facing the green machine at the end of the season. With that said, I do agree with the other posters that DLS should have an advantage on the lines. Folsom's lines were all juniors last year. No doubt they will be bigger, faster, and stronger next year. But, I would still give the advantage to DLS in that aspect.

I also agree with other posters that the skill position match ups are what makes this game worth watching. I wonder what DLS will choose to go with in order to contain the Ngata Express, among others like Badger and Co. I think Folsom has an edge here. My guess is that DLS will go with what worked in 2012-2013 and throw everything including the kitchen sink at Bennett, and hope he will make mistakes. The only difference in 2018 versus 2012/2013 is that Bennett is extremely mobile and can accurately throw the ball. This is what makes this match up so fun to talk about and wonder what it may look like on the field.

I don't know that I would give the edge to either team at this point. It will come down to Folsom being able to stop the veer, and DLS being able to at least contain the Folsom weapons. This might be one of the funnest games to watch in the last decade in Norcal, IMHO.

Anyone have any intel on if DLS is considering moving the venue to a larger one, say Diablo Valley College? I only ask because DLSs home field will not come close to accommodating the huge crowd that will want to see this match up live. Maybe it's gets made up for with an ESPN broadcast? One can only hope......

What a great thing for NorCal football fans!

The last DVC venue was ‘09 vs Lakeland, Game #3. You may recall dLS was thrashed the week before by DBP in Jersey. Ladouceur gambled for 2 in OT and lost. Was that the last time sparta lost two in a row? A Florida kid stayed an extra day in Calif. at John Muir Med Ctr with a crack back broken sternum.

The Lakeland stands were pretty full even though the home side has better views.

You are right. DLS does play the top teams.

But- for this match up it's 0-0, 2018 DLS versus 0-0, 2018 Folsom. It doesn't matter what either team has done in the past, as those were completely different teams.

Using past results for a titanic HS match up like this, means next to zero. And I can assure you that nobody on the DLS or Folsom team cares about these past results. Folsom is getting the shot they want and DLS is getting the shot at proving they are still the top dog in NorCal in 2018.

Here's to great football gents!
It's talked about all the time at every level. This team has been there before, this guy knows what it takes, etc.... I'm not sure it matters here. But it is Folsom season and just another game for DLS. Maybe the 3rd best team they will face. It's absolutely the best Folsom will face. In the end it's all talk and we will see what I'm sure will be a interesting, competitive, and fun game. Good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
It's talked about all the time at every level. This team has been there before, this guy knows what it takes, etc.... I'm not sure it matters here. But it is Folsom season and just another game for DLS. Maybe the 3rd best team they will face. It's absolutely the best Folsom will face. In the end it's all talk and we will see what I'm sure will be a interesting, competitive, and fun game. Good luck to both teams.

Good points, I think Folsom wins this one.

I gotta disagree with you here. No disrespect toward Joe Ngata who is a phenomenal talent and right up their with Shaq Thompson as the best to come out of the area the past 10 years, but it's impossible to top Cordova's Kevin Willhite, who was the CA's top recruit in 1982 and considered by some outlets as the #1 recruit in the Nation.

FWIW, Willhite was named National HS Player of the Year in 1981 getting the nod over both Bo Jackson and Marcus Dupree. In other words, the bar was set impossibly high.

Great call on Willhite. I believe there was a High Nationally Recruited RB out of Davis HS, Marc Hicks, who went to Georgia and had many predicting him as the next Herschel Walker. While not on Willhite’s level, I remember the buzz on Hicks was off the charts too. I think he got hurt and never did much after HS.

Couldn't agree with you more from a skill level perspective. Folsom has a chance to win because, on the whole, they'll have the best skill talent on the field. However, the one factor DLS always has in their favor when facing NorCal competition is line play on both sides of the ball. That's one of the biggest reasons they still have an active 288 game unbeaten streak north of Fresno.

That's why everyone talks about Folsom's 2014 team with such reverence. Because that team had the skill talent AND the line play with Jonah Williams, Cody Creason, Sam Whitney and others. The question is, will this 2018 Folsom team have the horses needed to hold their own? If they do, they'll probably win. If they don't, DLS will likely be able to withstand the disparity in skill talent.

I’m pretty sure grants 04’ 06’ 09’ 10’ had better rosters couple of those years has multiple nfl players and all Americans

Folsom skill players versus DLSs mean defense coming back is what will make the price of admission so worth It!

I want to see how DLS will defend the Ngata brothers and Badger on the outside. What a dream for us fans!

Reactions: jimmyzr1
Folsom skill players versus DLSs mean defense coming back is what will make the price of admission so worth It!

I want to see how DLS will defend the Ngata brothers and Badger on the outside. What a dream for us fans!
I agree that Folsom will score at times and DLS will stop them at times. But I have looked every way possible and I can't see anyway Folsom can stop the DLS O. From what I've seen Folsom has the better offense. DLS has better defense, special teams and coaching. I think who ever wants it more on August 17 will win it. Should be fun.

I agree that Folsom will score at times and DLS will stop them at times. But I have looked every way possible and I can't see anyway Folsom can stop the DLS O. From what I've seen Folsom has the better offense. DLS has better defense, special teams and coaching. I think who ever wants it more on August 17 will win it. Should be fun.
If Folsom can get some stops on D, we could be seeing the slaying of the Dragon in Concord!

In Richardsons defense. Folsom is NOT going to win on defense. There best chance at winning is with there offense. Now 4th and 20 on DLS 15 Punt. But if it's 4th and 5 on DLS 40 go for it. That's just my opinion. If DLS turns the ball over 6 times like they did in the state game it's over. As good as there defense is you can't give an offense like Folsom the ball that many times. There is so many ways this game could go. I can't wait.

Long way to go, but this will be a highly competitive game. Will be interesting how DLS handles the passing attack of Folsom while also combating a running QB. For Folsom, can they hold up on the lines?
Folsom won't have as much time to get rid of the ball with that DLS line and LBs close really fast. That killed Folsom last time. The WRs were covered and with the line push had to get rid of the ball. If Folsom can buy enough time to throw downfield they will have a shot. Folsom defense will also have to stop the DLS ground attack that can churn out yards and control time. Will be a great game 1. Both teams will be motivated for Week 0 and it will prepare both teams. Both teams should be better than last season. I would have taken DLS this season with a healthy Kyree. DLS beat a Pittsburg team pretty soundly tat defeated Granite Bay by about the same as Folsom. DLS defense will be fast and physical next season.

Folsom won't have as much time to get rid of the ball with that DLS line and LBs close really fast. That killed Folsom last time. The WRs were covered and with the line push had to get rid of the ball. If Folsom can buy enough time to throw downfield they will have a shot.
True in 2013 with Browning.

But what makes this game so intriguing is that Bennett is highly mobile and can throw it. Will DLS just blitz all day? Will they spy him? Do they double Joe Ngata and leave all the other weapons to be? Fascinating stuff to say the least.

No doubt DLSs defense will be the best that Folsom has faced, but in no way will 2013, 5 years, be an indicator of how this game will shape up.

I think that most people who have seen both teams play extensively, recognize this, hence all the intrigue. The main kryptonite with Browning was that he was a pocket passer that needed time. DLS exploited this and threw the world at him. Bennett is completely different. If DLS sends the kitchen sink at Bennett and just hopes for the best, it could be a long night.

I'm more concerned with Folsom being able to get stops. Lol.

If memory serves me, the previous games between DLS/Folsom, DLS got away with sending only three D lineman, keeping eight in coverage/spy/double team, etc., which is why every time Folsom threw a pass, a DLS defender was right there to deflect/intercept/make an immediate tackle.That was when Folsom had some studs on the O line too. If DLS can get away with this again, it doesn’t matter who is lining up for Folsom on the O side, eight defenders in coverage and spy is a tall order! Like many have stated already, this game is more about the LOS, and less about the skill positions. Folsom has some special players coming back but nothing DLS hasn’t seen before.

Reactions: awood1
If memory serves me, the previous games between DLS/Folsom, DLS got away with sending only three D lineman, keeping eight in coverage/spy/double team, etc., which is why every time Folsom threw a pass, a DLS defender was right there to deflect/intercept/make an immediate tackle.That was when Folsom had some studs on the O line too. If DLS can get away with this again, it doesn’t matter who is lining up for Folsom on the O side, eight defenders in coverage and spy is a tall order! Like many have stated already, this game is more about the LOS, and less about the skill positions. Folsom has some special players coming back but nothing DLS hasn’t seen before.
Some of the game, yes.

Folsom was not loaded on the O line, as they were all underclassmen and never had Jonah Williams in both those games.

But I would agree with you that if DLS can get away with this again, the skill positions may be neutralized. The issue with this will be that Folsom has a highly mobile QB and. RB with an offer from Notre Dame this time.

Thoughts?

Reactions: MCIC

Folsom has a qb that can run now 2018 folsom team will be more like their 2010 version. I’m pulling for folsom they do little things to offset a good d line but honestly dls has played against better teams with better players that run a spread offense last year. This game should be more about can folsom stop dls offense. They’ll chew up the clock and keep the ball away from folsoms offense. If folsom offense turns it over this game can turn into a blow out. Folsom defense has to find a way to make dls a passing team

Folsom has a qb that can run now 2018 folsom team will be more like their 2010 version. I’m pulling for folsom they do little things to offset a good d line but honestly dls has played against better teams with better players that run a spread offense last year. This game should be more about can folsom stop dls offense. They’ll chew up the clock and keep the ball away from folsoms offense. If folsom offense turns it over this game can turn into a blow out. Folsom defense has to find a way to make dls a passing team
I would agree for Folsom to have a chance they have to make DLS pass. DLS likes to beat you into submission. They have a QB that is very good at passing and running. Something the haven't had in a while. But he's young. After seeing what Helix's running game did against Folsom I feel like they are going to have to out score DLS. That's a tall order. IMO Folsom needs to come out on fire and go ahead early. Win the coin toss take the ball and score. Maybe even think about an on side kick and score again.

All good points...Being an SFL guy, I'm pulling for Folsom. I have a feeling this thread may break a record on the number of comments leading up to kickoff!

Only 6 months to go. Can’t wait!

Kaiden bennett is no jake browning. That is obvious. But jake browning is not nearly as athletic or elusive as bennett is. At the hs level a super athletic QB who is multi dimensional could give DLS some fits. I was at those folsom vs DlS games and you had D1 safety's and LBs for DLS dropping into coverage against folsom receivers who were not in the same league as DLS. (the Trosin kids were really D2 players which is where they ended up) Josiah Deguara I believe was the only receiver to play d1 and he switched to TE. Totally different this year and you have better RB and running QB than you had those years. Should be fun. Game of the night in the country?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT