ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Folsom v De La Salle

Please entertain me. What HS team in Norcal has had better offensive players in one year than Folsom has returning? I'm sure I'm missing a name or 2 but all of these kids are going to be playing major college football and Joe Ngata will be catching balls on sunday.

Joe Ngata- 5 star (will be most highly recruited player ever from SJS)
Daniel Ngata (4 star recruit currently. Recently offered by ND. )
Kaiden Bennett- 4500 yd passing last season and 57 TD's thru air. Offers coming
Elijhah Badger- Big time soph receiver prospect. Potential 5 star kid.
A 5 star recruit is very rare. In fact there are 14 in the nation. 2 in CA. None of witch are from northern. J. Ngata is not even in the top 100 recruits in the nation although I Will be the first to say he definitely will be. And D. Ngata isn't in the top 250 in the nation. DLS has 2 players that are in the top 100 (66 & 86). None of this will matter come 8/17. These are 4 star kids and very good. I just hear people say five star recruit way to much when it is so rare.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
A 5 star recruit is very rare. In fact there are 14 in the nation. 2 in CA. None of witch are from northern. J. Ngata is not even in the top 100 recruits in the nation although I Will be the first to say he definitely will be. And D. Ngata isn't in the top 250 in the nation. DLS has 2 players that are in the top 100 (66 & 86). None of this will matter come 8/17. These are 4 star kids and very good. I just hear people say five star recruit way to much when it is so rare.
Joe Ngata- Offers from Clemson & Alabama
Danyiel Ngata- Offer from Notre Dame (as a sophmore)

Safe to say they are highly touted prospects. We are all proud of them.

Most of the games I went to vs. deLa that ended up being very close contests involved opponents with nary a single FCS/FBS offer.

Reactions: thekingera
Joe Ngata- Offers from Clemson & Alabama
Danyiel Ngata- Offer from Notre Dame (as a sophmore)

Safe to say they are highly touted prospects. We are all proud of them.
I guess my posts are coming across different on your screen. The post I wrote went right over your head. Your on a different subject. But ok good for those guys.

In the last couple games Folsom had a tough time against the DLS defensive line and if DLS can cover those receivers long enough in their base defense like they have in the past, it will be a tough night again for Folsom. I think Folsom will have some success but not going to drop 30 on the Spartan's defense.

Folsom lost some on the OL from last year's team as well. They certainly have other kids that can fill in - the team is deep. I will be interested to see how they handle the blitz against DLS. The DLS LBs are pretty darned good.

Folsom lost some on the OL from last year's team as well. They certainly have other kids that can fill in - the team is deep. I will be interested to see how they handle the blitz against DLS. The DLS LBs are pretty darned good.
I'm really interested to see if DLS will rush 3 and put everyone into coverage like they did with Browning, or rush more and take more chances in the secondary.

Fascinating stuff.

I hear ya on the “5 star” term being thrown around loosely. I do believe Ngata is now among the Top 100 in the nation on the more updated sites once the Bama offer came solid (ie..247). While sites like Rivals and ESPN where he lingers in the 100s, haven’t updated recently. Regardless ... I’m of opinion that Ngata isn’t even Folsom’s most important player against DLS. I believe that Bennett is the key, if he can create opportunities and make plays from nothing, Folsom has a chance.

I believe that Bennett is the key, if he can create opportunities and make plays from nothing, Folsom has a chance.
This is a great point. I believe this is what makes this game a bit different than the previous two.

I am still think DLS will be extremely aggessive on defense and take more chances in the secondary. I believe they feel they can contain Bennett and force him to make bad decisions.

Reactions: pantera-cat
I could care less what ESPN ranks players or the so called elite 11 QB's. People who have never seen these kids play. Ngata is a pro. Plain and simple. Just like I said Jonah Williams was during his Folsom days.

Bennett will give DLS a lot more issues than Browning did. His feet make him a much tougher player to prepare for.

I could care less what ESPN ranks players or the so called elite 11 QB's. People who have never seen these kids play. Ngata is a pro. Plain and simple. Just like I said Jonah Williams was during his Folsom days.

Bennett will give DLS a lot more issues than Browning did. His feet make him a much tougher player to prepare for.
You seem to be pretty angry there Larry. Not to piss you off but NO they are not pros. I guess I have to point out the obvious they are in fact high school kids. And for someone that doesn't care about rankings your the first to label these kids 5 star athletes and pros. Calm down and let them play it out 8/17.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
You seem to be pretty angry there Larry. Not to piss you off but NO they are not pros. I guess I have to point out the obvious they are in fact high school kids. And for someone that doesn't care about rankings your the first to label these kids 5 star athletes and pros. Calm down and let them play it out 8/17.
In @larry legend33 defense, he did say that Jonah Williams would be a pro. And he will be. I am going to trust him with Ngata and believe he will play on Sundays. His brother may as well.

I look forward to the match ups.

This is a great point. I believe this is what makes this game a bit different than the previous two.

I am still think DLS will be extremely aggessive on defense and take more chances in the secondary. I believe they feel they can contain Bennett and force him to make bad decisions.

Good dialogue on offense. When Folsom is on defense, I wonder about the size and strength match-up. As with many Folsom contests in the past, the key may very well be the guy no one ever talks about...Folsom's defensive coordinator, Sam Cole. The man deserves more love than he gets.

Good dialogue on offense. When Folsom is on defense, I wonder about the size and strength match-up. As with many Folsom contests in the past, the key may very well be the guy no one ever talks about...Folsom's defensive coordinator, Sam Cole. The man deserves more love than he gets.
I think that match up may decide the game. Can Folsom hold up on the onslaught of the veer?

Don't they see this with Woodcreek and Jesuit each year? Not saying DLS, Woodcreek and Jesuit are at the same level...but they have experience defending veer, correct?
Folsom does. But big difference in size, speed, and strength. The good news is Folsom has time to prepare and almost off of their line is back, which is a plus.

I really wish the game was in Folsom. But beggers can't he chosers right?

Folsom does. But big difference in size, speed, and strength. The good news is Folsom has time to prepare and almost off of their line is back, which is a plus.

I really wish the game was in Folsom. But beggers can't he chosers right?

Well, location doesn't really matter. This game should be played, the kids are lucky to play in it, and everyone should be happy its happening.

I've seen a lot of pro's over the last 25 years and Ngata is such a lock (if he doesn't get hurt) its not funny. I was at a Folsom hoop game a couple weeks ago. Ngata walked by me. He's not 6"1. He's 6"4. He probably weighs 210 lbs. Its no different than when you were watching Shaq Thompson play. Its not even going out on a limb. I mean anybody who watches football and understands talent gets it. Same thing with Armstead from Pleasant Grove. Jonah Williams...... The kid from Antioch at Bama. You can't teach this stuff. Not like I'm throwing something crazy out there.

I've seen a lot of pro's over the last 25 years and Ngata is such a lock (if he doesn't get hurt) its not funny. I was at a Folsom hoop game a couple weeks ago. Ngata walked by me. He's not 6"1. He's 6"4. He probably weighs 210 lbs. Its no different than when you were watching Shaq Thompson play. Its not even going out on a limb. I mean anybody who watches football and understands talent gets it. Same thing with Armstead from Pleasant Grove. Jonah Williams...... The kid from Antioch at Bama. You can't teach this stuff. Not like I'm throwing something crazy out there.
None of witch means anything. LBP had 23 kids go on to play D-1 football 7 of those played in the NFL. DLS handed them there butts pretty easily. I'm not saying that's going to happen vs Folsom and there "pro" players. Those "pro" players better be able to play defense, because offense is not what beats DLS.

100 percent agree on Ngata.

I hope he puts on a show in August.

Ha ha. You are comparing Long Beach Poly to Folsom's coaching... Now that is funny. One of the worse coached HS teams I've seen. DLS beat there ass because they were better prepared and coached. Folsom will not be LBP. You remember when Grant and Granite Bay both beat them? It was coaching and not talent. Folsom has a coaching staff that could be Pac12 coaches. Hell they have a former all pro TE (Doug Cosbie) on staff. I don't always agree with Richardson calls but the guy can coach and his kids are prepared.

Ha ha. You are comparing Long Beach Poly to Folsom's coaching... Now that is funny. One of the worse coached HS teams I've seen. DLS beat there ass because they were better prepared and coached. Folsom will not be LBP. You remember when Grant and Granite Bay both beat them? It was coaching and not talent. Folsom has a coaching staff that could be Pac12 coaches. Hell they have a former all pro TE (Doug Cosbie) on staff. I don't always agree with Richardson calls but the guy can coach and his kids are prepared.
What the hell. You are almost starting to make me a believer. NOT. Witch is it? Your "pro" athletes or your all of a sudden great "Pac12" coaching staff. I will give the Folsom coaching staff credit for being very good. But I don't think they are at the same level as DLS. You need to stop being so angry. Maybe think about what your posting before you hit the post button. Go back and look at my post I NEVER compared Folsoms coaching staff to LBP.
Folsom has a very good coaching staff. A better then great offense. "Pro" athletes? NO. They have high school athletes just like DLS. Folsom stands a good chance at beating DLS. But there are things both teams have to do to win. My personal feeling is that it's not about what Folsoms great offense can do but what there defense can do. It should be a great game.

Last edited:
Those "pro" players better be able to play defense, because offense is not what beats DLS.

I think this is a very good observation. Against Mater Dei, for example, of their 52 point, damn near all came from offense which put up 360 yards of total production. But significantly, DLS was putting up 35-40 points a game. MD held DLS to only 21 points. Bishop Gorman held DLS to 7 points. These were the only losses. You have to stop the DLS run game or you are dead. The clock will expire before you have a chance to understand what happened.

DLS did turn over the ball repeatedly in the MD game. Took scores away and gave up points. As far as 5 stars....they have faced Harris in 2016...the top one or two player in the country and limited him to 136 yards on over 30 carries and only one TD. MD was the number one team in the country stacked on both sides of the ball with a 4-5 star QB that will be in the NFL one day. Folsom will be formidable but not close the MD this last season or Bishop Gorman on both sides of the ball.

On the Folsom line size and strength, I've been on the field with them and they are a big group. The biggest group I saw last year was from Orem. The Orem group was on par with Punahou from a couple years back just in terms of sheer size and Folsom (last year) was not that far off from those groups in terms of size.

I'm not certain which of those kids I saw last year were graduating but I don't think size and strength will be the issue. It will be technique, alignments, discipline and speed that makes the difference.

The veer is easy to stop unless you are playing DLS because they execute it nearly flawlessly. Their kids have great technique and are nearly always better prepared than their opponents. As many of you have seen, their offensive lineman get off the ball quickly and they make their blocks.

So for me anyway, it will be more about how Folsom D line and backers manage their gaps. Size and strength help for sure, but speed, starting the play from the right gap alignment, reading the play and staying disciplined makes the difference.

Folsom has an above average line on both sides. With everyone returning for the most part, I believe they will be able to get some stops defensively. If they can force a few turnovers and get a few stops, they should be right there.

Of course, easier said than done. I think it will he an epic game. One that is long overdue.

[QUOTE="thekingera, post: 192349, member: 7700"With everyone returning for the most part[/QUOTE]

Well, by my count, I think Folsom is losing 5-6 seniors that were in the OL/DL rotation frequently. And, some were pretty darned big guys. That said, there are some pretty amazing replacements in the wings.

[QUOTE="thekingera, post: 192349, member: 7700"With everyone returning for the most part

Well, by my count, I think Folsom is losing 5-6 seniors that were in the OL/DL rotation frequently. And, some were pretty darned big guys. That said, there are some pretty amazing replacements in the wings.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. JV team wasn't too shabby.

I just had a few sad thoughts regarding this game.

As exciting as it is right now, this game will likely ycreate some repercussions perhaps not considered for many of us in this forum:

If DLS wins-
**Especially considering the apparent addition of Isaiah Rutherford, Folsom/SJS fans will no longer be able to use this reliable line “Well, this Folsom team wasn’t one of our best teams.”

**mtjohn will be right

**the NorCal streak may NEVER end.

If Folsom wins-
**We will have to listen to G61/FolsomBulldog/thekingera gloat forever!!!

**DLS fans may lose their identity on this board. They’ve been top dog in Nor Cal since this sites inception!!

Regardless of who wins, have we even begun to consider that we will alll face an entire High School regular, and postseason, NOT being able to debate the #1 topic on this forum EVERY YEAR (since 2010ish) “who would win if DLS played Folsom this year” . Oh the humanity!!!

As exciting as it is right now, this game will likely ycreate some repercussions perhaps not considered for many of us in this forum:

If DLS wins-
**Especially considering the apparent addition of Isaiah Rutherford, Folsom/SJS fans will no longer be able to use this reliable line “Well, this Folsom team wasn’t one of our best teams.”

**mtjohn will be right

If Folsom wins-

**DLS fans may lose their identity on this board. They’ve been top dog in Nor Cal since this sites inception!!

Regardless of who wins, have we even begun to consider that we will alll face an entire High School regular, and postseason, NOT being able to debate the #1 topic on this forum EVERY YEAR (since 2010ish) “who would win if DLS played Folsom this year” . Oh the humanity!!!
Not sure why I am mentioned with other accounts on this post, as I have no affiliation with them.....but drive on my friend! I appreciate the enthusiasm!

If DLS wins-

**mtjohn will be right

If Folsom wins-

I know what your saying. If Folsom wins they will be able to gloat for about 11 months. As I feel this is there only shoot at the brass ring. Rutherford is a really good pickup. But he is not the difference. St. John's did this same thing when they signed to play DLS. They all of a sudden got a really good QB and a couple receivers. But nothing on defense. They scored 31 but it wasn't enough. I will start to worry when you add D-line. As far as G61 goes that guy has an excuse for everything. For me I look at Folsom and think there shouldn't be any shame in losing to all that talent. But if it happens at all it will be one and done. They won't beat DLS twice. One last thing to think about if Folsom finds a way to win, DLS will be state champs and Folsom won't. Not that it will ease the pain.

I know what your saying. If Folsom wins they will be able to gloat for about 11 months. As I feel this is there only shoot at the brass ring. Rutherford is a really good pickup. But he is not the difference. St. John's did this same thing when they signed to play DLS. They all of a sudden got a really good QB and a couple receivers. But nothing on defense. They scored 31 but it wasn't enough. I will start to worry when you add D-line. As far as G61 goes that guy has an excuse for everything. For me I look at Folsom and think there shouldn't be any shame in losing to all that talent. But if it happens at all it will be one and done. They won't beat DLS twice. One last thing to think about if Folsom finds a way to win, DLS will be state champs and Folsom won't. Not that it will ease the pain.
Can someone fill me in on who this L68 cat is?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT