ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Folsom v De La Salle

Exactly Delta. I know plenty of high school coaches that frequent this site. So both programs are listening to us. And they're acting because our opinions matters. JoeMixon and Future10 called the Folsom vs Chaminade game last year.;)
Beat dls and they’ll have to play so cals best anyway so it works out I guess

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
I'm giving the slight edge to Folsom based on a couple of factors. #1 Folsom with as many key returners, especially on offense, will be better prepared in a Week 0 game. #2 DLS has played many close games in Week 0, nearly losing against the likes of Serra and Bellarmine, but still winning - only this time, I defer back to factor #1. Anticipate a shoot-out and a Folsom victory, as Folsom's defense will not have an easy time against DLS's offense. If this game was played later in the season, it's DLS with the victory. Still, for a week 0 game, this should be hella fun to watch.

Reactions: thekingera
I'm giving the slight edge to Folsom based on a couple of factors. #1 Folsom with as many key returners, especially on offense, will be better prepared in a Week 0 game. #2 DLS has played many close games in Week 0, nearly losing against the likes of Serra and Bellarmine, but still winning - only this time, I defer back to factor #1. Anticipate a shoot-out and a Folsom victory, as Folsom's defense will not have an easy time against DLS's offense. If this game was played later in the season, it's DLS with the victory. Still, for a week 0 game, this should be hella fun to watch.
Big difference here. Bellarmine had a gimmick offense with a 6'4" 220lb QB that kept edging out first downs. They would have the ball for 8 mins at a time. DLS was able to match them. If the Bells kicker make the pat in OT the streak would have been over. #2 Serra had a great defense in the box. I think 3 D-1 recruits one of with play in the super bowl last year. Folsom offense won't be enough against that defense. And Folsom doesn't have it in the box.

This game is interesting in the fact that if you lose you are probably a state champ. And if you win, your most likely a state runner up. With Folsoms new and improved schedule. If DLS loses to BG, and a loss or even a close game against East, and Folsom would have had a great chance at the open. The way I see it now that they are playing. The winner is the loser. Think about that.

Last edited:
This game is interesting in the fact that if you lose you are probably a state champ. And if you win, your most likely a state runner up. With Folsoms new and improved schedule. If DLS loses to BG, and a loss or even a close game against East and Folsom would have had a great chance at the open. The way I see it now that they are playing. The winner is the loser. Think about that.

I think the goal for programs like Folsom and De La Salle is the Open title, but it is a very interesting angle that the loser has the best path to a state title (even if it is the one they don't want the most).

Reactions: 14U2ALLNV
How about running the table? How are you a loser if you go into the state open game 15-0? If Folsom beats DLS I don't see them losing a game.

I don't see how you can't give the edge to DLS. They haven't lost to a team in Norcal since 1991 and its a home game for them. They also return a crap load of talented players. I would love to see Folsom win but I'm realistic and if it was vegas I think DLS comes in a small favorite. Folsom will not be intimidated nor overmatched with size/talent. I just think the other factors need to be considered. But if its going to happen I believe this is the year.

How about running the table? How are you a loser if you go into the state open game 15-0? If Folsom beats DLS I don't see them losing a game.

I don't see how you can't give the edge to DLS. They haven't lost to a team in Norcal since 1991 and its a home game for them. They also return a crap load of talented players. I would love to see Folsom win but I'm realistic and if it was vegas I think DLS comes in a small favorite. Folsom will not be intimidated nor overmatched with size/talent. I just think the other factors need to be considered. But if its going to happen I believe this is the year.
I think you missed my point. I'm saying who ever wins will 99% surely be in the open game. Also 99% sure they lose. I think we can all agree these are the two best teams in the north. So the loser will 99% surely get D-1 and have a much better chance of winning. And if it was vegas anything under 10 points and I would bet my house on DLS. .

Big difference here. Bellarmine had a gimmick offense with a 6'4" 220lb QB that kept edging out first downs. They would have the ball for 8 mins at a time. DLS was able to match them. If the Bells kicker make the pat in OT the streak would have been over. #2 Serra had a great defense in the box. I think 3 D-1 recruits one of with play in the super bowl last year. Folsom offense won't be enough against that defense. And Folsom doesn't have it in the box.
DLS defense looked terrible against Mater Dei's offense, just like everyone else Mater Dei faced, and didn't do all so well against Central, giving up 30 points and holding onto a 28-23 lead at halftime. IMHO, Folsom's offense in a week 0 game is going to be more prepared than a week 0 DLS defense, giving the history of how DLS is slow out of the box at the start of the season. It will be plenty enough. Agree, Folsom defense will struggle against stopping DLS's run game. But, unless DLS is able to find success in the air, the Bulldogs will flood the box, and they may have "some" success, encough for their offense to win the game. Folsom's offense is good and Joe Ngata is going to be a nightmare for the DLS defense. IMHO, he is as good as the Mater Dei WR's DLS went up against last year. Folsom's QB may not be a JT Daniels, but he is accurate and brings to the game a dual-threat. If there is a chance for DLS to lose to a NorCal team, this is it.

SoCal OPEN team may not be as strong as last year. Mater Dei graduates a ton of players including their QB, JT Daniels. Bosco will be good again. But, NorCal has a better chance in the OPEN this year than they had in the past 2 years. This is not a clear-cut victory for SoCal.

SoCal OPEN team may not be as strong as last year. Mater Dei graduates a ton of players including their QB, JT Daniels. Bosco will be good again. But, NorCal has a better chance in the OPEN this year than they had in the past 2 years. This is not a clear-cut victory for SoCal.
You have been misinformed. They might even be better next year. There new transfers including top 5 in the nation duel threat QB. I was told 16 transfers 4 of witch are in the top 50 recruits in the nation. MD is loaded again.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Who knows what will happen in the south. You could have a Corona Centennial school come out of nowhere and upset MD or Bosco. Its a blood bath in the south. MD has had oodles of talent before and last year was there first title. I think the North winner this year will be a lot more ready to win that game than the DLS vs MD game of this year.

Reactions: slick58
DLS defense looked terrible against Mater Dei's offense, just like everyone else Mater Dei faced, and didn't do all so well against Central, giving up 30 points and holding onto a 28-23 lead at halftime. IMHO, Folsom's offense in a week 0 game is going to be more prepared than a week 0 DLS defense, giving the history of how DLS is slow out of the box at the start of the season. It will be plenty enough. Agree, Folsom defense will struggle against stopping DLS's run game. But, unless DLS is able to find success in the air, the Bulldogs will flood the box, and they may have "some" success, encough for their offense to win the game. Folsom's offense is good and Joe Ngata is going to be a nightmare for the DLS defense. IMHO, he is as good as the Mater Dei WR's DLS went up against last year. Folsom's QB may not be a JT Daniels, but he is accurate and brings to the game a dual-threat. If there is a chance for DLS to lose to a NorCal team, this is it.
No real football guy saw that MD game the same. DLS turned the ball over 6 times. Not once all year did the long snapper snap one over the punters head. Against MD he did it twice. I think they lose anyways. But not that bad. As for central, go back and look who was unable to play in that game. No doubt this is Folsom best chance to win. No doubt DLS gets better as the year goes on. But all your doing is giving DLS fans an excuse when they lose. I don't buy in to that because it's week 0 for both teams.

Reactions: awood1
Who knows what will happen in the south. You could have a Corona Centennial school come out of nowhere and upset MD or Bosco. Its a blood bath in the south. MD has had oodles of talent before and last year was there first title. I think the North winner this year will be a lot more ready to win that game than the DLS vs MD game of this year.
Could not disagree anymore.

I agree. I think this is the time if there ever was one. It will be interesting to see what each side comes up with to slow the other one down. Such a contrast in styles.

I see Folsom winning. 34-31.

Nobody expected East-Utah to come to Concord, keep the veer to three TDs and hand deLa a loss. And that was Game #4.
I'm sorry but I expected that DLS to lose that game by two TD's. and I'm a DLS fan. I almost considered that a win. This year I expect them to go there and handle them pretty easy. That was a very poor example. I certainly didn't expect Folsom to lose to Sac that same night.

I'm sorry but I expected that DLS to lose that game by two TD's. and I'm a DLS fan. I almost considered that a win. This year I expect them to go there and handle them pretty easy. That was a very poor example. I certainly didn't expect Folsom to lose to Sac that same night.
Most DLS fans don't expect to lose to Folsom this time around.

Most Folsom fans believe they have a legit shot at winning.

I believe they do.

Most DLS fans don't expect to lose to Folsom this time around.

Most Folsom fans believe they have a legit shot at winning.

I believe they do.
Fair enough. I'm a DLS fan and feel Folsom has a legit shot. But for someone to bring up the East game a year and a half ago is like me bring up the sac game that happened the same night. I'm sure DLS would have had there way with sac that night and East would had there way with Folsom. Who cares. I will agree this Folsom team has a chance and a legit one at that.

Fair enough. I'm a DLS fan and feel Folsom has a legit shot. But for someone to bring up the East game a year and a half ago is like me bring up the sac game that happened the same night. I'm sure DLS would have had there way with sac that night and East would had there way with Folsom. Who cares. I will agree this Folsom team has a chance and a legit one at that.
I'm not sure why anyone brings up any past results to predict a game like this as it is totally pointless.

The 2018 teams go head to head in August. No one cares who lost 2 or 5 years ago, or to who.

Cheers to a great game!

Reactions: remc
You guys go on then.....
But since my two played deLa for four years, twice in the Coliseum, I can add to the discussion. Maybe in July.

Last edited:
And Folsom doesn't have it in the box.

I would agree that this is the biggest concern for Folsom. If they can't at least hold their own in that area, it will allow DLS to combat the talent discrepancy as Folsom most certainly will have the advantage at the skill positions.

Folsom offense won't be enough against that defense.

I think you're underselling here.

As great as DLS's defense usually is, Folsom's offense has several factors in their favor that will cause problems for them. Ngata and Badger not only have the speed to take the top off the defense, but they are also big, physically punishing runners. One way Folsom will slow the green machine pass rush is by throwing WR screens -- something they do as well as anyone. If a tackle is missed, it might result in a TD. Remember what Badger did to Helix's 5 star DB in the State game?

Another factor not to be overlooked is the dual threat ability of Kaiden Bennett. Historically, DLS has had some problems containing a good dual threat QB. Centennial has often hurt them in that way. With the attention the 2 WR's draw, lanes open up for the QB to run it.

Also, add in a talented scatback in the younger Ngata --IMO he's in the same mold of some of Centennials good ones -- and Folsom's offense presents challenges most offenses can't.

If any defense can contain Folsom, DLS is probably the best best to do it. But, I think it's a bit naive to say that they won't be enough. There's just too much talent on that side of the ball. IMO, DLS's only shot against Folsom's offense is to dominate the LOS. But Folsom has options at their disposal to counter should that happen. They can keep them honest.

The bigger concern, for me, is how Folsom's defense is gonna deal with the Spartans rush attack out of the veer.

Another factor not to be overlooked is the dual threat ability of Kaiden Bennett. Historically, DLS has had some problems containing a good dual threat QB. Centennial has often hurt them in that way. With the attention the 2 WR's draw, lanes open up for the QB to run it.
I agree about this being overlooked. Kid threw for over 4500 yards last year and over 1000 rushing. He is special. Add that to the skill players and a junior RB with an offer from Notre Dame, and you have some great match ups.

This game will be as good as any I can remmeber.

Kaiden Bennett will be harder for DLS to prepare for than Browning was. Not saying he's the same player or in the same league but kids like Bennett and Graves are a nightmare for opposing teams because of their ability to make plays out of nothing. Browning has lead feet.

Kaiden Bennett will be harder for DLS to prepare for than Browning was. Not saying he's the same player or in the same league but kids like Bennett and Graves are a nightmare for opposing teams because of their ability to make plays out of nothing. Browning has lead feet.
Browning,as good as he was,was taylor made for dls defense.would have loved to see 2010 folsom vs dls.grant head coach said Dano graves was the hardest single player he ever had to game plan for.a real nightmare.

Browning,as good as he was,was taylor made for dls defense.would have loved to see 2010 folsom vs dls.grant head coach said Dano graves was the hardest single player he ever had to game plan for.a real nightmare.
Great point. That's why I think Bennett presents a unique challenge in this match up. If any DLS fan thinks this will be anything like the games 5 years ago, they are sorely mistaken.

5 years ago it was Brownig. I can't remember how many on this board said DLS could be done. It was more then 5. But who cares, it wasn't even close. Here's my question.
IS THIS IT? Is this the team that will do it? I can not even tell you how many times people say DLS is done. I know you won't agree now but Browning was a great QB. DLS made him look average at best. I'll admit Folsom has a legit shot. But if and when Folsom goes down, you will all start back sliding. Folsom has some stars on this team. Nothing DLS hasn't seen. I've always said the first step in beating DLS is getting over the fact your playing DLS. This Folsom has never seen anything like DLS. My feeling is DLS will win but Folsom has a seriously legit shot.

5 years ago it was Brownig. I can't remember how many on this board said DLS could be done. It was more then 5. But who cares, it wasn't even close. Here's my question.
IS THIS IT? Is this the team that will do it? I can not even tell you how many times people say DLS is done. I know you won't agree now but Browning was a great QB. DLS made him look average at best. I'll admit Folsom has a legit shot. But if and when Folsom goes down, you will all start back sliding. Folsom has some stars on this team. Nothing DLS hasn't seen. I've always said the first step in beating DLS is getting over the fact your playing DLS. This Folsom has never seen anything like DLS. My feeling is DLS will win but Folsom has a seriously legit shot.
I haven't heard one person say DLS is done.

There is a difference between saying you have a tough opponent week 0, versus saying your done. I think you may be reaching a bit here.

Browning was a great QB. He, like all pocket QBs, look average when under constant pressure. DLS did a great job of pressuring him and forcing him to make throws into coverage. This is how he also looked against Alabama in the CFP. Similar concept.

Browning is long gone. Those games 5 years ago hold no relevance to this August as we will all see either way.

It should be am epic game which could go either way. If Folsom can get stops they have a great chance to walk out of Concord with a huge monkey off their back.

Yes if they can get stops they have a huge opportunity. I've watched DLS for almost 30 years. Not every game but every game they have lost if not in person on TV. I can't remember ever seeing an offensive team beat them. Bellarmine is the only one and DLS still won that game but only because of a missed pat in double OT. But The Bells held the ball for 8-9 min at a time getting 3-4 yards and running out the clock. It was 7-0 bells at half and DLS had two possessions. My point is Folsom is not built like that. Folsom has enough offense to beat anyone in the country IMO. But I don't think they have anywhere near enough defense.

Reactions: awood1
Yes if they can get stops they have a huge opportunity. I've watched DLS for almost 30 years. Not every game but every game they have lost if not in person on TV. I can't remember ever seeing an offensive team beat them. Bellarmine is the only one and DLS still won that game but only because of a missed pat in double OT. But The Bells held the ball for 8-9 min at a time getting 3-4 yards and running out the clock. It was 7-0 bells at half and DLS had two possessions. My point is Folsom is not built like that. Folsom has enough offense to beat anyone in the country IMO. But I don't think they have anywhere near enough defense.
Folsoms defense is not bad by any means. And they return everybody. They will he just fine, especially with this long to prepare for one game, and one team. They may surprise some people.

It's February. The game is in August. I realize everyone is an expert, but I am just glad the game will be played on the field and opinions will be rendered moot.

IS THIS IT? Is this the team that will do it? I can not even tell you how many times people say DLS is done.

The streak ended over a decade ago, people have said DLS is “done” a lot, and they have been right occasionally; sometimes they are right multiple times a year.

Hard to say which team has more at stake in this game. DLS has the NorCal streak that will be broken with a loss, but Folsom has the specter of the last two meetings and so much more to gain with a win. Posts here from both sides are a lot more measured this time around though.

Reactions: observer22
Hard to say which team has more at stake in this game. DLS has the NorCal streak that will be broken with a loss, but Folsom has the specter of the last two meetings and so much more to gain with a win. Posts here from both sides are a lot more measured this time around though.
Palma and Clayton Valley both tied DLS. The Norcal streak is no loss north of Clovis (there are two ties). That was the year the The Streak ended and the weakest DLS team in decades but still won the NCS title. This upcoming DLS team is going to be a very strong on defense and that is what is the difference between a very good DLS team (still top in Norcal and among top 2 or three in state) and a great DLS team. They return enough on offense to be very good on that side of the ball and will have a pass threat or the kid at QB last season was great at running that option. In the last couple games Folsom had a tough time against the DLS defensive line and if DLS can cover those receivers long enough in their base defense like they have in the past, it will be a tough night again for Folsom. I think Folsom will have some success but not going to drop 30 on the Spartan's defense.

Folsom will be stacked on offense and formidable. Will be a great match up. Folsom defense has stepped it up in the last few years as well. Still a tough task in stopping that DLS offense and they may have more balance next season. I think the team with the defense will win it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT