ADVERTISEMENT

CCS D3 Open Division

Next stop for the Crusader Bandwagon is Burlingame. Allllll aboard!;)

*note to Ted and regular posters even though "alllll aboard" is a typical train call, this in no way endorses the use of bringing back the choo choo train whistle referenced about Riordan in 2014 ;) lol

Next stop for the Crusader Bandwagon is Burlingame. Allllll aboard!;)

*note to Ted and regular posters even though "alllll aboard" is a typical train call, this in no way endorses the use of bringing back the choo choo train whistle referenced about Riordan in 2014 ;) lol
No. The Crusaders now use a sledge hammer! Lol!

Looks to be a great bracket for the Crusaders. Quite honestly, I wanted to face teams the Crusaders have not faced with the possibility of a rematch with SHP for the D3 Title.

Reactions: RiordanGael
Looks like Palma and Riordan got thrown into a PAL postseason tourney. Whatever, at least they'll get
Some pub in the SMDaily Journal. Alllll aboard!

Looks to be a great bracket for the Crusaders. Quite honestly, I wanted to face teams the Crusaders have not faced with the possibility of a rematch with SHP for the D3 Title.

I am with you Jordan,

This season started at BHS with an impressive scrimmage and it would be nice to see where we stood then and now. Palma brings us a serious contender, but when your good, you want the best....

I will save my thoughts about SHCP...."the only game that is important in the one in front of you"

We Are San Francisco...

If Palma and Riordan advance that will put the two best teams against eachother in the 2nd round. Palma is banged up. They are down to their 3rd string RB and QB Jack Richardson has been playing with a broken left thumb (hasnt had an impact on his game yet). If they can get RB Emilio Martinez back (hamstring) then they have a very good shot. Martinez is one of the top RBs in the section when healthy. Even if back up RB Torculas is healthy, I dont see him getting the job done. 3rd string RB Telford is very fast but not the runner that Martinez and Torculas are. Palma beat SHP in week 3. Martinez had a monster 1st QT then was dealing with cramping in the 2nd half. I just dont see Palma beating Riordan if they dont have Emilio Martinez back.

I hope the Best of Palma is ready to go...

You guys have a very good program, my suggestion to the WCAL commissioner is to switch you guys with SHC. You would bring some points in OCC scheduling and heat when you play other WCAL team.

Good luck to you next Friday, under the lights and may we both have healthy players the next week.

Go Palma....

I hear Palma's Martinez could have been back last game but they wanted to save him for the playoffs. I expect he will play some against Aragon and probably only a little if Palma gets up early. Telford who played his first real time all season due to hamstring injury had 2 TDs and could see him play more next week and the playoffs. Palma also has another RB Clemete-Villareal (DB starter) that was second on the septh chart at RB last season. Palma has lots of depth at RB. A healthy Telford is a very fast and good RB and defender. Probably not 100% but I hear he is making leaps as far as getting there. Hopefully Torculas will be able to play some or at least in round 2 if they win in Round 1. He's also very good on defense and they could use him there as well. I think Palma offense should be in pretty good shape. I think Palma is getting healthier overall and hopefully with Torculas better by round 2. Palma defense will need to step up, but a Palma v Riordan second round game should be a very good game if both make it through round 1. Palma with Martinez at RB is a tough match upon defense since they have a balanced attack. Riordan playmakers are also tough so it is an intriguing game if it comes to fruition.

Burlingame is the Crusaders focus this week. From a fan's perspective, I don't think Palma has seen a team with the talent, speed and strength as Riordan possesses since the Chieftans loss at St. Francis. Every team is banged up this time of year. The Crusader's LB Jamarian Caston has seen very limited action since the Serra game, but the rest of the team is stepping up. Burlingame utilizes a WCAL-like game scheme with power running and solid defeinse and will certainly be fired up to beat their guests from SF's Phelan Ave.

Last edited:
Reactions: RiordanGael
Bracket 2:
Live Oak #3 vs SHP #6
MVC #2 vs Terra Nova #7

These teams will probably battle it out. MVC is pretty good. A physical team on both sides of the ball. Probably will be MVC and SHP in the semis.

Jordan always has the correct approach....

Burlingame is the focus, if I can take the Warrior's Manta...the next game is the most important game of the season.

One of the Crusaders successful game plans is to not get ahead of it'self. I don't see things changing in post season play.

"keeping the eye on the prize is key, but taking taking each step as they come is the essence of success"

We Are San Francisco...

Regarding being banged up...Palma has had 6 or 7 starters out for the year or major parts of it. The most banged up Palma team I ever recall in 40 years. Going 3 deep at RB and losing two starting WRs is a lot for any teams offense not counting defenders. They have fortunately had depth to step up. Riordan would definitely be the best team Palma would face since St Francis if they do see each other. If Palma RB Martinez is back and healthy, I think it could be a good game. With him in, teams have to scheme him and it opens up their very good pass attack. Palma's QB broke former Palma QB David Fales (Chicago Bears) passing yardage and TD record at Palma. Palma line is also pretty good anchored by junior Dalman, OG/DT (offer from Fresno State so far and others to come).. Stopping the Riordan offense and those play makers by limiting the big play is a tough task and that will be the the difference.

Still have round 1 to go. Looking forward to the playoffs.

Reactions: jordan24
Regarding being banged up...Palma has had 6 or 7 starters out for the year or major parts of it. The most banged up Palma team I ever recall in 40 years. Going 3 deep at RB and losing two starting WRs is a lot for any teams offense not counting defenders. They have fortunately had depth to step up. Riordan would definitely be the best team Palma would face since St Francis if they do see each other. If Palma RB Martinez is back and healthy, I think it could be a good game. With him in, teams have to scheme him and it opens up their very good pass attack. Palma's QB broke former Palma QB David Fales (Chicago Bears) passing yardage and TD record at Palma. Palma line is also pretty good anchored by junior Dalman, OG/DT (offer from Fresno State so far and others to come).. Stopping the Riordan offense and those play makers by limiting the big play is a tough task and that will be the the difference.

Still have round 1 to go. Looking forward to the playoffs.

Hey, Lets catch up on the other side of Rnd 1. Good Luck my Friend from the Crusader Nation...

We Are San Francisco...

If the game is played in round 2, I will be there at Rabobank to watch. Unfortunately my nephew probably won't be playing due to lingering concussion symptoms from a few weeks ago and likely out for the season. But he is looking forward to track and next season.

Lots of good playoff games and then the state bowl to go in Sac. The new format will be interesting.

If the game is played in round 2, I will be there at Rabobank to watch. Unfortunately my nephew probably won't be playing due to lingering concussion symptoms from a few weeks ago and likely out for the season. But he is looking forward to track and next season.

Lots of good playoff games and then the state bowl to go in Sac. The new format will be interesting.
Wishing your nephew a complete recovery. Concussions are nothing to take lightly. Good luck against Aragon.

Curious.....why is SHP seeded higher than Riordan with the same record and Riordan owns the head-to-head matchup?! It can't be strength of schedule!

CCS point system. No idea why either but its been broken down on another thread, CCS updates I believe posted by PAL Booster

Looks like the loss to SF kept their power points down below SHP. The Carmel league championship (another league champ) may have been a bump but SHP even though Carmel is in a B or C league. I would think SHP would have more powerpoints, but also it could have been to avoid two 1st round games between PAL Bay league games. WCAL no longer has A+ status with new section playoff format, so SHP league wins (PAL Bay is an A league) are the same as Riordan WCAL wins.

Edit- PAL booster confirmed Riordan power points are higher http://prep2prep.com/sports/boysfootball/2015/PlayoffBrackets/CCSPlayoffBrackets.aspx. Seeding switch rule in effect.

Last edited:
CCS point system. No idea why either but its been broken down on another thread, CCS updates I believe posted by PAL Booster
Riordan ended up seeded 5 and SHP ended up seeded 6. They do move lower seeds around in first round games to avoid head to head games against teams in the same league.

This happens almost every year to Palma as far as the seeds usually matchthem up earlier against WCAL teams that would be in a different seed because of moving the first round matchups. I know it doesn't matter to Palma, but just an observation. This year the PAL Bay has 4 teams in the division so the seeding switch rule was utilized.

I have never been a fan of moving the seeding around to avoid league teams playing each other in the 1st round. The points exist for a reason they should determine seed. You could face a league opponent in the 2nd round so really whats the difference. Maybe I am just disappointed there isnt a chance for a Riordan vs Palma championship game lol. Not that it was an automatic thing to happen but hopefully it will atleast happen in the 2nd round.

If SHP and Riordan are fortunate enough to make it the the championship game the loser will more than likely not be selected for one of the two runner up advancing to the regional games. There is a possibility that there ends up being a head to head tie breaker or even a common opponent tie breaker but it could also come down to power points. The open D3 top 4 seeds actually have highest collective power points.

One of the Merc blog articles noted that -

"Going strictly off CCS power points, the Open Division with the strongest teams is the one with the fewest students.

That’s right, Open III is the strongest, with its eight teams averaging 25.95 power points.

The next strongest is Open II, with its eight teams averaging 25.9 points.

Open I’s eight teams average 23.32 points."

"Going strictly off CCS power points, the Open Division with the strongest teams is the one with the fewest students.

That’s right, Open III is the strongest, with its eight teams averaging 25.95 power points.

I am with you on this point, especially since Riordan has already beaten SHCP once this year. It would have made more sense to have Palma and Riordan face off in the championship. It seems SHCP got a pass on this one...hey they are the seating champions. Why Not?

But the loss to SF, should not be over looked...to quote OneDNA: "it is what it is"

Last edited:
My hate post earlier in the year aside I'm pulling for Riordan in the Open-3 bracket, at the very least it looks like the two finalists from the Open-3 and Open-2 brackets will make it to the regionals, with Bellarmine from the Open-1.

Hatch, you really can't be serious, you know as well as all of us that power points are a very poor indicator of team strength. I hope you are just being sarcastic

Hatch, you really can't be serious, you know as well as all of us that power points are a very poor indicator of team strength. I hope you are just being sarcastic

I'm just quoting a Merc article. Open-2 is the strongest bracket by far. Open-1 is quite pathetic.

BTW if the CCS stayed with the same playoff system as last year, which teams would be in the Open? Anyone know the math to that?

PALB's uber spreadsheet should be able to spit it out... I am always in awe of the quality of his playoff predictions

My hate post earlier in the year aside I'm pulling for Riordan in the Open-3 bracket, at the very least it looks like the two finalists from the Open-3 and Open-2 brackets will make it to the regionals, with Bellarmine from the Open-1.

Hatch,

I get it, we all have those moments. A lttile hate stirred in with program pride. It actually takes the better man to reach across the isle and like us and support each other's programs, winners like hanging out together.

I root for ALL WCAL in the playoffs. What makes us bitter rivals during the year, bonds us as we represent our league. Let's be honest, it is our "red haired step child" that gets beat up so much, that seems to lose their minds.

Much success wished to all our WCAL programs and hope for a WCAL program and family a potluck at State

Reactions: FUBO
BTW if the CCS stayed with the same playoff system as last year, which teams would be in the Open? Anyone know the math to that?
Hatch, gave it a shot while eating lunch today. My guess on old open participants would be:
First place winner or tie breaker winner from A divisions:
Bay: Burlingame
DeAnza: Milpitas
Gabilan: Palma
Mt. Hamilton: Oak Grove
WCAL: Bell

At large:
Highest power points from remaining playoff participants
SF (31.75)
Live Oak (28)
Monte Vista Chr.(27.83)

Results kind of surprised me.

Hatch, gave it a shot while eating lunch today. My guess on old open participants would be:
First place winner or tie breaker winner from A divisions:
Bay: Burlingame
DeAnza: Milpitas
Gabilan: Palma
Mt. Hamilton: Oak Grove
WCAL: Bell

At large:
Highest power points from remaining playoff participants
SF (31.75)
Live Oak (28)
Monte Vista Chr.(27.83)

Results kind of surprised me.

You are failing to account for the A+ designation of the WCAL under the old system. So all of the WCAL teams would have increase of 3.5 points. Plus any team that faced a WCAL team would also get a 0.5 boost.

You are failing to account for the A+ designation of the WCAL under the old system. So all of the WCAL teams would have increase of 3.5 points. Plus any team that faced a WCAL team would also get a 0.5 boost.
Thanks, I knew that looked too weird...
So SF would have moved to 34.25, Valley to 30.5, and Riordan to 30.33
sound about right?

Last edited:
How about we leave it alone, damn this MIT grads (lol)

I may be a minority on this? But I like this system better...

Big fan of the new format. CCS has never been able to have their top small schools represent them at the state or regional level due to the old open division. Teams like Palma, Valley Christian, SHP, Terra Nova etc..never got a chance because they got put in the open. The year SHP went to state they didn't even win league. Terra Nova won their league and got put in the open division. Palma has been arguably the best small team in CCS and was in the old open division all but one year. It gives CCS a chance to show their best teams at every enrollment at the state level.

Reactions: CityVibesII
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT