ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro (13-1) vs Grace Brethren (13-2) in D2–AA State Bowl

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Night as well get the conversation started.

Does DO have one more bullet in the chamber, or have they used all of there 9 lives?

Personally I think they do. Actually, I think they are the favorites here. DO 28-20.

Like to here everyone's thoughts.

Del Oro always seems to disappoint past NorCal play. There was that year they got skull drug by Bakersfield in the state game. Of course they earned the right to play in it. All I am saying is Serra would have never gotten beat that damn bad!

Del Oro always seems to disappoint past NorCal play. There was that year they got skull drug by Bakersfield in the state game. Of course they earned the right to play in it. All I am saying is Serra would have never gotten beat that damn bad!
I hear you brother SP, but that Driller team wasn't a joke. And neither was that 2011 Driller team that went undefeated. I would like to know what Serra had for the Drillers phenom QB Rufus. Rufus was a human highlight reel for 3 years. And DO had never seen a QB so elusive and quick as Rufus was. That said, I do agree with you that DO hasn't represented on this level of play. I do believe they will handled Grace Brethern this time. Rufus gett'n jiggy: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/asa...?videoid=43285a7c-3200-482b-a195-01a87355c5e7

Reactions: smashmouthrick
Yea, that Driller team was athletic. I remember watching that game and thinking to myself they were on another level athletically. They were better than us by a decent margin.

Ive seen de loros name there a few times. I think theyve got the experience to win. Im taking de loro for the championship

Yea, that Driller team was athletic. I remember watching that game and thinking to myself they were on another level athletically. They were better than us by a decent margin.
Agree RR. When I was at the DO/Liberty (Bakersfield) game a few years ago I was talking to a hard core Drillers fan. He said that that 2013 Drillers team was the most talented team he has ever seen them field. They had D1’s everywhere. With the Drillers speed alone DO was in trouble from the get go. Bakersfield beat DO 56-26 in that 2013 state champ game. 3 years later DO beats the Drillers 57-16 in an RBG so returning the favor. Point is that 2013 Drillers team was one special team that could have challenged even DLS.

Don’t know much about Grace Bretheren other than through watching a lot of videos. From what I can tell they are of a similar mold as CC and SF I.e. big lines and ground pounders. Stud RB #6 has amassed 2326yards on his own to a team run total of 4556yards. Clearly with lines even bigger than CC/SF they favor the ground game but have also passed for 1652yards so I won’t say they are one dimensional.

Their D looks very good with a pass rush that looks better than even CC/SF. Secondary looks OK, hard to tell about their special teams.

From what I can see this looks like a decent matchup for DO.

Would like to get @ararar and @Cal 14 take on Grace Bretheren.

Don’t know much about Grace Bretheren other than through watching a lot of videos. From what I can tell they are of a similar mold as CC and SF I.e. big lines and ground pounders. Stud RB #6 has amassed 2326yards on his own to a team run total of 4556yards. Clearly with lines even bigger than CC/SF they favor the ground game but have also passed for 1652yards so I won’t say they are one dimensional.

Their D looks very good with a pass rush that looks better than even CC/SF. Secondary looks OK, hard to tell about their special teams.

Grace Brethren has taken a similar path as DO to get to state.The section Semifinals they were underdogs to Villa Park and won in OT.The championship game was supposed to be Corona Del Mar’s but GB won rather easily.
They were favorites over the SDS champ and won.
They want to grind you out with their two RB.They have a capable passing game but it’s not their identity.
They have a couple of near 300 pound Samoan kids on the D line that have really shown out during the playoffs.
Basically they want to out physical you and wear you down

Grace Brethren has taken a similar path as DO to get to state.The section Semifinals they were underdogs to Villa Park and won in OT.The championship game was supposed to be Corona Del Mar’s but GB won rather easily.
They want to grind you out with their two RB.They have a capable passing game but it’s not their identity.
They have a couple of near 300 pound Samoan kids on the D line that have really shown out during the playoffs.

Thank you Ararar, they sound a lot like SF, they had 3 kids I think that were 300 or near there. Biggest line I've seen this year.

The smaller DO kids have been 'pounded on' the last two weeks by bigger physical line play and larger RB's. Hopefully, they can take a pounding one more week.

Last edited:
Thanks Ararar, pretty consistent with my observations.

The CC & SF games are good prep games for DO and again play into DO’s strengths. My take is a close game unless GB puts more pressure QB than last two teams did.

DO had receivers open on most of their plays against SF on the medium to short routs but think DO QB may have been trying to target more of the deep routes. Expect DO pass game to be even more important in this game to keep ball moving.

Reactions: RidgeRider
I think DO has had a tougher road to state so I believe your assessment is correct either they will be battle tested and ready or succumb to the weeks of pounding.I like DO in this one
Wait a minute. Didn't DO have 3 weeks of rest? :p

I do remember being one poster saying this will be the reason they get past CC when many others said it will hurt them.

Just to add to Ararar's comment, they are also very tough-minded. In that win over Villa Park, they were down 21-0 in the second quarter.

I think DO has had a tougher road to state so I believe your assessment is correct either they will be battle tested and ready or succumb to the weeks of pounding.I like DO in this one
Good point on the “pounding” aspect. DO did have a few injuries in last game. One of our biggest and best DL’s left the game with a leg injury, not sure how serious.

Any info how healthy GB is?

Hoping both teams are 100% at game time as this will be one physical game.

DO had receivers open on most of their plays against SF on the medium to short routs but think DO QB may have been trying to target more of the deep routes. Expect DO pass game to be even more important in this game to keep ball moving.
Do they have a pass game? Their offense has struggled badly, a non-factor. The one chance DO has is if their defense shows up one more time AND scores.

Do they have a pass game? Their offense has struggled badly, a non-factor. The one chance DO has is if their defense shows up one more time AND scores.
They do but has been inconsistent since IMO the Grant game. QB has good fundamentals but the team chemistry has not been there. DO made some adjustments at half vs SF and started completing passes.

Going to take a complete team effort for DO but they know what they are facing and will up for the task. DO’s O needs to score but just as important play keep away from that GB run game.

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
7-0 Grace at the half

As I have said DO has to make completions to win this game. Receivers open but ball not getting there.

DO D keeping them is this game. May see #3 QB a few series if pass game does not improve.

Game going pretty much as expected other than I was expecting a few more completions and 3rd down conversions.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Smashmouth, streak, someone! What the hell is going on in the game! Whats the score? How do the teams looks? Why the hell yall holding out on us? Please i dont have the game on and need my hs football fix! Go norcal

Reactions: sarpar
Del Oro: 4 offensive TDs in last 10 quarters. Yes, they’ve been playing good teams, but still.

DO threw pic on their first series and GB scored mostly on their run game on a 9play drive. Other than that it has been a defensive battle with GB owning field position.

If DO is only 2 scores down by late 3rd quarter then I like their chances. DO has to get passing game going if they are going to win. They have open receivers but not completing

Reactions: Sacchiefs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT