ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Info

observer22

Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
Per the CIF website:

2018 CIF State Championship Brackets will be made available the evening of Sunday, March 4

The brackets should be posted here tonight:

http://www.cifstate.org/sports/basketball/bb_champ_info

Regional Championship Information

Preliminary Games Schedule
Round I (Divisions I-VI) - Wed., March 7 at Host Schools @ 7:00 pm

Round I (Open Division) - Fri., March 9 at Host Schools @ 7:00 pm

Round II (Divisions I-VI) - Sat., March 10 at Host Schools @ 6:00 pm

Regional Semi-Finals (Divisions Open-V) - Tue., March 13 at Host Schools @ 7:00 pm

NorCal Regional Finals (Divisions VI ONLY) - Tue., March 13 at Host Schools @ 7:00 pm

how Miramonte only get the 4 seed?

Miramonte 79
ESP 51

final score from game played earlier this year

MM #4 seed???
ESP #2 seed???

WHAT IS THE COMMITTEE THINKING?????

Last edited:
They seeded 400 teams in about six hours ... no rhyme or reason.

Newman does not belong in the Open. I have no idea what they were looking at, as comparative scores against La Jolla Country Day would said Miramonte is better. Division II is better than Division III says Miramonte. (To be clear, I'm not saying Miramonte is better than Newman -- that would be a great game.)

The ridiculousness is everywhere. KIPP King just beat Oakland Tech, and KIPP King is the 13th seed in D-V, and Tech is the 6th seed in D-IV.

And why are Clovis and Yosemite in the NorCal brackets? Marin Catholic could wind up driving to Clovis for a second-round game.

So just random weirdness as I look through the brackets ...

James Logan is 16 in D-I, despite losing to San Leandro by 10 and Newark by eight. San Leandro, as far as I can tell, is not even in the tournament.

Oakland, which lost to Bear Creek by six and Piedmont by four, was one seed away from being D-IV.

Rincon Valley Christian was seeded fourth in D-VI and is rated 439th in the state with a 21-8 record. Ripon Christian was seeded third at 538 with a 17-12 record. Both are section champs.

Do the section commissioners give the committee information for the selection process in regard to teams in their own sections?

The section commissioners submit their list of teams in ranked order, and then the committee can revise the order if it so desires, and then seed the teams.

It looks to me like the divisions were done by competitive equity, but the seedings were done by section, at least in D-I. By that I mean they separated CCS teams, and NCS teams so they were in different quadrants, except with two teams that had to be in the same one.

That's why, I think, Eastside Prep was the two seed, because they had to separate them from Presentation. I guess we could have been the two or three seed, but then we're with Heritage and SJND. This way no section opponents see each other until the semis ...

Which of course isn't competitive equity.

Two tweaks:

1) Girls and boys' committees
2) Publish the order of criteria in advance

It doesn't matter how you do it, coaches will be upset. Each division bracket is very competitive, and there will be no more (or very few) first-round blowouts. Any division winner will have definitely earned it by winning several difficult games.

Some teams got very lucky, some got screwed, but that happens every time. I don't think they should separate teams by sections in the bracketing (true seeding would be great), but if they're going to, just tell everyone.

Really bummed they threw newman into the open this year. They had a great run last year but 2 different teams. This entire thing is a goofy.

So the section commissioners do submit their list in rank order? That is really interesting if you look at head to head in the NCS. Cardinal Newman, in my estimation, would be the 6th NCS team behind both St. Joseph's(win over Carondelet) and Miramonte(common opponents La Jolla Country Day(win) and Dimond(loss)).

So the section commissioners do submit their list in rank order? That is really interesting if you look at head to head in the NCS. Cardinal Newman, in my estimation, would be the 6th NCS team behind both St. Joseph's(win over Carondelet) and Miramonte(common opponents La Jolla Country Day(win) and Dimond(loss)).
Call Gill everyday and it looks like you get what you want!

My guess would be that section winners took precedence, but I have no explanation for Newman over Miramonte. We felt we would be ranked ahead ...

St. Joe's was a section winner, beat Carondelet, scheduled Pinewood after they beat Carondelet and two of their starters did not play in that game. How would the league commissioner have Newman above either St. Joes or Miramonte? St. Joe's should have been ranked in front of Bishop O'Dowd as well. So, realistically, they were NCS #2.

Reactions: basketba11
Do the section commissioners give the committee information for the selection process in regard to teams in their own sections?
I have seen many things in my years but nothing as bad as this. Logan going in over San Leandro, American and Mt. Eden is embarrassing. With that logic California should’ve been in over Dublin. A team that loses in the first round gets in WOW. SRV I guess was a poor team to play at a lower level, though they made semi finals. Worst things I have ever seen with no justification.

Reactions: Coach Cardinal
The no explanation part is bothersome. I will try to call tomorrow to see if I can get someone to explain various decisions ...

(As a side note, this is a very small reason why the death of newspapers is bad. Back in the day, I would have written about this and many more people would have seen it than saw my story in SportStars. And I would have gone off in a column too ...

So imagine what's being missed in important stuff at the city and county level.)

Eureka the 2 seed in D2...

Back to back Section winner and defending state champ West Campus the 5 seed in D3...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

something smells rotten at CIF headquarters

First Round Open
Mitty over BOD BY 10
Salesain over Folsom BY 10
Pinewood over Carondelet by 15
SMS ove CN by 30

2nd Round
Mitty over Salesian by 15
SMS over Pinewood by 20

Norcal Championship
SMS over Mitty 15

Northbay

Yes you got CN got welcome to the Dog house of Cif committee?

Wait wait wait!!! Cal, San Leandro and Mt eden didn’t get in BUT Logan who lost in the first round did??? Please explain that!
FYI Cal also lost in the first round. But SL beat Logan by 10 at their place and Mt Eden and American both won their first round games.

I have seen many things in my years but nothing as bad as this. Logan going in over San Leandro, American and Mt. Eden is embarrassing. With that logic California should’ve been in over Dublin. A team that loses in the first round gets in WOW. SRV I guess was a poor team to play at a lower level, though they made semi finals. Worst things I have ever seen with no justification.
SRV should be D1. Even as a D2 got a tough matchup vs Menlo.

Coach Cardinal

I have to you before the committee don't seed according Ranking. They make up their own ever year. They try to help teams they like and screw the teams the don't like. This will never change. AAU teams should make there own league like the Prep schools!!!!! This way seeding at the end of the year will be true!!!!

Coach Cardinal

I have to you before the committee don't seed according Ranking. They make up their own ever year. They try to help teams they like and screw the teams the don't like. This will never change. AAU teams should make there own league like the Prep schools!!!!! This way seeding at the end of the year will be true!!!!
Dead on Respect!!

The seedings are just terrible in parts of these brackets. As it has been said, just no consistent reasoning. The top four in D1 is way off.

I also really dislike backfilling the bracket. If you can't win two games in your section division, why should you keep playing (Open Division is a different story)

A lot of times these things end up playing themselves out, but for now pretty disappointed in what the committee came up with

Interesting, NCP has Campolindo ranked 17th in Norcal, equivalent to a 9 seed in D1. They got a 9 seed alright, but in D3; bypassing D2 altogether. This represents a 32 seed freefall from #17 to #49. Clearly, the CIF considered the injury issues surrounding the team, but my goodness......

Interesting, NCP has Campolindo ranked 17th in Norcal, equivalent to a 9 seed in D1. They got a 9 seed alright, but in D3; bypassing D2 altogether. This represents a 32 seed freefall from #17 to #49. Clearly, the CIF considered the injury issues surrounding the team, but my goodness......
You think THIS committee knew about injuries!! That's giving these clowns way to much credit!!

Reactions: jrogers6988
It appears to me that they really used the max preps rankings a lot to determine many of the seeds. And we all know that these rankings are flawed in many ways.

The no explanation part is bothersome. I will try to call tomorrow to see if I can get someone to explain various decisions ...

(As a side note, this is a very small reason why the death of newspapers is bad. Back in the day, I would have written about this and many more people would have seen it than saw my story in SportStars. And I would have gone off in a column too ...

So imagine what's being missed in important stuff at the city and county level.)
Call and thank Gill for a great job!

The ridiculousness is everywhere. KIPP King just beat Oakland Tech, and KIPP King is the 13th seed in D-V, and Tech is the 6th seed in D-IV.

I know the AAA / SF section is weak and doesn't get much love. But how the heck does Lowell get a home game against a section champion? Obviously kipp wasn't ranked high enough.

Lincoln gets a 13 seed and an away game too for winning the AAA. But who knows? Maybe the matchups are better

Lincoln and Lowell have no gripes. They are lucky to be in Nor Cals. The San Francisco Section and the Oakland Section has a total of about 15 teams and If they win their league they get to go to Nor Cals. That does not seem fair and it is not. Mean while the CCS has about 160 teams and they only send 17. San Francisco and Oakland send 4

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT