ADVERTISEMENT

Novato Football Coach Quits

Jul 17, 2017
i just heard last night that Novatos coach quit and the school is possibly not going to have varsity this year.

Who quits in late July?
Hopefully, the Novato staff can fill in and keep the program going, unless there is more turmoil then meets the eye......I wonder what took place that would set the head coach off and pack his bags....????

I heard no varsity program this year due to lack of numbers and that any varsity kids would be allowed to transfer to San Marin to play.

I heard no varsity program this year due to lack of numbers and that any varsity kids would be allowed to transfer to San Marin to play.

Nate Smith tweets

Novato football coach Jason Searle resigned last week to spend more time with his young children. More details later today. Interim HC TBA.

Low numbers are being reported everywhere, both players and coaches. If it's not a top tier program/doesn't have a big football tradition it seems that the numbers are noticeably lower than the past few seasons. Our numbers are down as are the local youth program. From coaching boards I know that there are similar declines in numbers across the US.

Resigned to spend more time with his kids? In July....? Yeah, sure. More time with his kids will be a benefit of his resignation but isn't the reason. Low numbers, uncommitted players that wont buy into his system, losing records, parents, admin disagreements, realizing another sub 500 season is a real possibility... take your pick.

Also isnt San Marin a rival of Novato? What self-respecting Hornet would play for San Marin? Redwood's looking great right about now...

Resigned to spend more time with his kids? In July....? Yeah, sure. More time with his kids will be a benefit of his resignation but isn't the reason. Low numbers, uncommitted players that wont buy into his system, losing records, parents, admin disagreements, realizing another sub 500 season is a real possibility... take your pick.

Also isnt San Marin a rival of Novato? What self-respecting Hornet would play for San Marin? Redwood's looking great right about now...

Novato kids who want to play have no choice, either MC or SM

Dirty pool. Like asking Newman kids to go play at Montgomery (or anywhere really haha)

Low numbers, uncommitted players that wont buy into his system, losing records, parents, admin disagreements, realizing another sub 500 season is a real possibility... take your pick.
--------------------------------

Brackett's 2006 team was probably his best. 548 points for and 45 points against. After demolishing San Rafael 57-0 and Del Norte 58-0 in rounds 2 and 3 of the 2A playoffs, they absolutely crushed a solid Miramonte team in the NCS finals at the Coliseum 48-3. Also beat Marin Catholic 38-0 that year. My how times have changed in that sleepy little hamlet.

Reactions: coachlittle
I have heard two stories. One is they are cutting varsity. Second is that they are going to wait until August 7th. I say August is too late. Other schools need to fill their schedule.

The question I have is who will coach the varsity next. I have heard the JV coach is on Campus and wants to take over. But I have also heard others say they need on overhaul and bring someone in. That is if anyone wants to do it.

I have heard two stories. One is they are cutting varsity. Second is that they are going to wait until August 7th. I say August is too late. Other schools need to fill their schedule.

The question I have is who will coach the varsity next. I have heard the JV coach is on Campus and wants to take over. But I have also heard others say they need on overhaul and bring someone in. That is if anyone wants to do it.

http://www.marinij.com/sports/20170731/novato-high-petitions-to-drop-varsity-football-for-fall

Reactions: MC415
I feel for the coach. When I was in college I coached at a San Jose high school and we suited up less then 20 kids the second half of the season; think we had 15-16 kids the last 2 games. But we lost kids during the summer and first half of the season; I can't imagine what it's like to go in to a season already Under 20 kids, that's crazy.

Get use to this. I really think this is only the beginning. We will continue to hear more and more stories like this. Baseball is going to get really good again after falling off the radar the last 20 years especially in inner city.

Get use to this. I really think this is only the beginning. We will continue to hear more and more stories like this. Baseball is going to get really good again after falling off the radar the last 20 years especially in inner city.
I agree . Basketball and soccer too. as a parent/coach its really really hard NOT to notice the size of the NBA, MLB contracts(not why i do it but i do read the news) . Plus baseball,basketball have become year round sports. AAU leagues are in full go .

I do agree Novato will not be the last team. I fear that most of the Sonoma County league teams are in danger (HBG, SON, EA, EM) if not this year in the next few years. Also in the CCS schools like Pacific Grove, Gonzales and Stevenson have and will continue to battle small roster sizes. I know there lots of other examples in all Nor-Cal sections.

I do not know if all the kids are going to baseball, but the proliferation of year round sports (like fall ball, LAX and AAU) is starting to hurt the local youth and HS football teams. Throw in the concussion scare, a lot of families are steering away from football

In some communities, there also is the issue of demographics. Just ask the fine folks at Mission San Jose. Or Westmoor. Some modern student bodies in CA simply do not contain significant numbers of football-playing youngsters. The sport is not part of their culture. Times change.

Throw in the concussion scare, a lot of families are steering away from football

For the past five years or so, I've heard the LAX and rugby coaches telling parents how much safer their game is than football. LAX and rugby have exploded in largely white suburbia. And, I've heard about concussions, broken bones, ligaments torn, etc. And, yet, these same safety-minded parents keep sending their kids out there and I think I know why. Apparently, there are a lot of scholarship offers for LAX (particularly women) and rugby. The idea of being a college athlete starts to become more important than the concerns that took them into the sport to begin with.

Reactions: coachlittle
The tipping point at a local school or public school district, god forbid, may come when a prep football player dies during a practice or game. The pressure to drop the sport after such a dire incident may become so intense that administrators, trustees, etc. will cave.

I have both my sons play football as well as joined a rugby league in the offseason we've had more bumps and bruises with rugby then football , i have personally found that getting the best equipment in football has gone a long way in avoiding serious injury and both of my sons played tackle football since they were 9 yrs old all the up through high school at a competitive level.

I have both my sons play football as well as joined a rugby league in the offseason we've had more bumps and bruises with rugby then football , i have personally found that getting the best equipment in football has gone a long way in avoiding serious injury and both of my sons played tackle football since they were 9 yrs old all the up through high school at a competitive level.

Agreed. That and not leading with your helmet. If you remember, that was pretty common only a few years ago. I think the kids have started to get the message that this practice can lead to serious injury. But not everyone was doing that.

Reactions: slick58
Its def the sign of the times. Any of these mid-small size public schools in areas where there is either a high net worth and or groups such as asians , indians, hispanic, etc that don't necessarily flock to football fields will become targets. This isn't calling out any race or demographic either. Many of these kids play other sports and there cultural wasn't built on smash mouth football. High net worth areas have influence and active parents who will take this and run. There has been a lot written on this. My only hope is that kids can find something else to keep them involved in and make lasting memories that many of us have. Being involved in sports is a lot more than winning and losing.

The tipping point at a local school or public school district, god forbid, may come when a prep football player dies during a practice or game. The pressure to drop the sport after such a dire incident may become so intense that administrators, trustees, etc. will cave.

As dumb and gutless of a reaction this would be, I fully agree with you that it is a reality that will unfortunately probably happen.

Define "exploded". I remember my sophomore year (01-02) a club LAX team started up in Monterey and everybody was talking about how LAX was this fast growing sport and it was going to take off in popularity and blah blah blah. 16 years later not a single school in Monterey county offers the sport.

Doesn't sound like a sport that's "exploding" to me.

For the past five years or so, I've heard the LAX and rugby coaches telling parents how much safer their game is than football. LAX and rugby have exploded in largely white suburbia. And, I've heard about concussions, broken bones, ligaments torn, etc. And, yet, these same safety-minded parents keep sending their kids out there and I think I know why. Apparently, there are a lot of scholarship offers for LAX (particularly women) and rugby. The idea of being a college athlete starts to become more important than the concerns that took them into the sport to begin with.

Define "exploded". I remember my sophomore year (01-02) a club LAX team started up in Monterey and everybody was talking about how LAX was this fast growing sport and it was going to take off in popularity and blah blah blah. 16 years later not a single school in Monterey county offers the sport.

My youngest looked into playing LAX as a freshman when hollister started their team he felt there were to many rules about contact which took all the fun out of it for him, stuck with football played MLB every year since

(like fall ball
wow i never knew fall ball existed . I knew about the other 2 but i just goggled "fall ball in sac" and every league close by offers it . Do they really play baseball in rain or have i been sleeping under a rock???

Good decision, Hollister has a great football program. They are one of those programs that really gets the most out of their players.

My youngest looked into playing LAX as a freshman when hollister started their team he felt there were to many rules about contact which took all the fun out of it for him, stuck with football played MLB every year since

Go to your local boarding school and you will find LAX. Throughout the East Bay snd on the East Side of Sacramento in the largely white suburbs. It's an expensive sport with limited pro financial returns. But great for the guys who can afford it and want a contact type sport in the spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT