ADVERTISEMENT

O Dowd vs San Juan Memorial

foul trouble

Can we make a rule that in order to Referee in the Bay Area you need to fall between the ages of 30-50.

Can we get all these old dinosaurs out of here? Seriously. Only way Green fouls out is if a ref has a personal vendetta against him.

Guess the MVP of the CIF playoffs so far goes to the Refs for causing all these double-digit seed upsets.

Can we make a rule that in order to Referee in the Bay Area you need to fall between the ages of 30-50.

Can we get all these old dinosaurs out of here? Seriously. Only way Green fouls out is if a ref has a personal vendetta against him.

Guess the MVP of the CIF playoffs so far goes to the Refs for causing all these double-digit seed upsets.

How do you foul a guy out on a made free throw? 2 guys battling for position in a tight game with 2 minutes left. Talk about a perfect non-call situation with no advantage obtained. Let it go and BOD heads back down court, and nobody says a word. Instead, SJM was decimated. They had battled back and had the momentum up to that point.

Great game by BOD, did a great job defending Green and the big man and they deserved to win. But jees, don’t foul out the best player on the court on a made free throw.

Reactions: refhoops
How do you foul a guy out on a made free throw? 2 guys battling for position in a tight game with 2 minutes left. Talk about a perfect non-call situation with no advantage obtained. Let it go and BOD heads back down court, and nobody says a word. Instead, SJM was decimated. They had battled back and had the momentum up to that point.

Great game by BOD, did a great job defending Green and the big man and they deserved to win. But jees, don’t foul out the best player on the court on a made free throw.

The referee did it, because when Jalen Green becomes the No. 1 Pick in the 2021 NBA Draft...that guy can talk to all his referee buddies and say...see that kid...I gave him his 5th foul on a made free throw during a CIF game.

Reactions: refhoops
The only bad call against Green was the 3rd one. A charging call in the first quarter that saw an O'Dowd kid flop. The 5th foul was completely bone-headed and a blatant shove in the back by Green during a made FT that the refs actually counted. The refs were good all night (the shot clock and scoreboard operator were not), and if anything, the short little ref made three terrible calls against O'Dowd late in the 4th.

O'Dowd had a superior game plan, their guards were running 100 mph from start to finish (almost ran out of gas late in the 4th). And #25 owned the SJM 7-footer all night. Owned him. The SJM coach should be embarrassed for being out-rebounded so badly by smaller players. O'Dowd must have had 10-12 offensive boards.

O'Dowd was ferocious on D and on the O boards and executed their game plan. They also hit clutch shots and free throws when SJM started to make a run late in the 4th quarter. SJM will be back next year with most of their key players returning, and Green will obviously be an incredible college (NBA?) player, but this is why HS basketball is so great. The better team and coach won tonight. The refs had nothing to do with the outcome.

But oh my, that Jalen Green kid is good.

IMO this is the last high school game Jalen Green has played.

Way too much value to waste his Senior Year playing in a State that can't even put together a proper officiating crew.

Did you see who it was that were operating the shot clock and scoreboard? They didn’t exactly look like an experienced crew there.
They seemed awfully young and were staring incessantly at their cell phones. Always a bad combo, especially for a CIF game. And nobody knew whose ball it was on the jump ball call late in the game (a clear over the back call on SJM). The refs didn't switch their pocket whistles, the score-keeper had no idea, and the possession arrow appeared to be off. As a guy who takes the table seriously, it was hard to watch.

Reactions: observer22
Way too much value to waste his Senior Year playing in a State that can't even put together a proper officiating crew.

Did you even watch the game? Quit bashing the refs and talk about the players. Green has 4 fouls and chooses to shove the player when the free throw is released. How about when coach decides to roll the dice and play him with 2 fouls in the first quarter. Green decides to drive the lane on two guys, only to barrel over a 3rd waiting in the key. Offensive foul. 3rd foul with 0:30 seconds in the 1st qtr. Have a seat.

...but yeah, the refs have it out for him so they can brag. Learn the game so you can have an intelligent take for once.

I guess there will be no talk about Lou ritchie and his coaching ablity. At this time of year it's easy to see the teams that will run thru a wall for there coach and then there are teams who want to put there coach thru a wall.
With his talent level down they had the chemistry and played well for Lou Ritchie. He coached them well.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Did you even watch the game? Quit bashing the refs and talk about the players. Green has 4 fouls and chooses to shove the player when the free throw is released. How about when coach decides to roll the dice and play him with 2 fouls in the first quarter. Green decides to drive the lane on two guys, only to barrel over a 3rd waiting in the key. Offensive foul. 3rd foul with 0:30 seconds in the 1st qtr. Have a seat.

...but yeah, the refs have it out for him so they can brag. Learn the game so you can have an intelligent take for once.

Seriously, didn't ODOWD take control from the opening tipoff and never looked back? Not sure how the refs did that.

Memorial has some solid talent. NBA type in Green and the 6'10 can score and rebound around the basket. There defense was horrific the last few games. No interest at all on the defensive end. Looks like the coach is fine with them doing whatever they want. No set plays the few games that I saw in this tournament. Really hard to watch them play. They play like it is open gym. Embarrassing!

I guess there will be no talk about Lou ritchie and his coaching ablity. At this time of year it's easy to see the teams that will run thru a wall for there coach and then there are teams who want to put there coach thru a wall.

Which is why they were always a D1 team to me after losing to Moreau. Combine Richie's coaching (great defensive game plan against SJM) and they still have a handful of guys who will play in college. Take it all into account and this team is good.

Which is why they were always a D1 team to me after losing to Moreau. Combine Richie's coaching (great defensive game plan against SJM) and they still have a handful of guys who will play in college. Take it all into account and this team is good.

A million times this. Nobody seriously denigrated Richie's coaching ability. I simply objected to his blatant attempt to get BOD dropped into Division 2 so they could rack up wins in a bracket they didn't belong in which would have resulted in heaps of praise for winning what would likely have been a relatively simple NorCal (and state) title. BOD is perennially one of the top Bay area teams, and clearly Richie has contributed to that. To try to petition to play down would be like the Raiders asking to play Alabama for the NCAA title. Like I said before, you're a multiple state and NorCal champion - act like it!

A million times this. Nobody seriously denigrated Richie's coaching ability. I simply objected to his blatant attempt to get BOD dropped into Division 2 so they could rack up wins in a bracket they didn't belong in which would have resulted in heaps of praise for winning what would likely have been a relatively simple NorCal (and state) title. BOD is perennially one of the top Bay area teams, and clearly Richie has contributed to that. To try to petition to play down would be like the Raiders asking to play Alabama for the NCAA title. Like I said before, you're a multiple state and NorCal champion - act like it!
He's acting like it now!

The charge they showed in this video was a blocking foul on BOD not a charge. Sorry but that kid on BOD never established position.

A shame that foul may have cost SJM the game.

2 refs on the court are college refs. Including one who made the call. Also it’s a close call but Jalen led with straight arm and it’s hard to clearly see the contact. Also defense can be moving and doesn’t have to be stationary for an offensive foul

i am convinced ayalar is jalens father... i have his dads number ima hit him right now and ask why he keep putting on 4 tha web... this aint how they do it in the NOLA

Reactions: nostancenochance
what are the times on the plays in question.. i am dying to see this

The charge call in question here is just after 2:20.

My opinion is non-call or charge.. I lean slightly toward non-call. Not 100% sure #25 had position, but it's def. close, a bang-bang play, on one of the hardest-to-officiate plays in sports.

Edit: My above opinion was on the top video... Other video makes it look more like charge was the correct call.

ok so i watched both videos ten times... i am not a fan of it.... i say that is a play on.... especially since that was his 3rd in the 1st period.... like it or not stars get that treatment... there is a reason why jordan, magic and kobe never foul out. for what it is worth the defender was legal and did what he should have.. the least bit of contact you go flying... bill is an excellent player, student and kid... cal poly will enjoy him

Calls certainly get missed and open to scrutiny. However, there's no such thing as star treatment in eyes of experienced officials. Watch the defender. If legal guarding position established, any displacement by ball handler is an offensive foul. An official who chooses to not call fouls based upon who the fouler is, will not be working at a high level or very long.

If you believe there is preferential treatment, you are biased and looking for scapegoats.

Calls certainly get missed and open to scrutiny. However, there's no such thing as star treatment in eyes of experienced officials. Watch the defender. If legal guarding position established, any displacement by ball handler is an offensive foul. An official who chooses to not call fouls based upon who the fouler is, will not be working at a high level or very long.

If you believe there is preferential treatment, you are biased and looking for scapegoats.
I will disagree... yes.. you dont call the obvious... but not all contact is a foul and all contact does not have to be called and isnt... i know first hand.
and working high level isnt nearly about how good you are as it is how much the assignor likes you. who you know not what you know or can do. there is a reason ncaa division 1 and nba have 60 year olds reffing 22 year olds.

working high level isnt nearly about how good you are as it is how much the assignor likes you. who you know not what you know or can do. there is a reason ncaa division 1 and nba have 60 year olds reffing 22 year olds.

It's all of the above. More experience, more demonstrated history of rule knowledge, judgement and effectively managing crew and game = more trust with assignors, better assignments.

Yes, officials are assigned at high level because the are liked by their assignor; but they are liked for what they bring to the game: experience.

Not unique to refs. Coaches, players, everyone gets opportunities because they bring something to the table that others don't have.

Not sure if you're disagreeing or agreeing, but your last line supports this point.

As I have stated before the refs need to consider that the teams who have reached this point in this season have put over a year's worth of commitment and so have the coaching staff of both teams they deserve for the refs to show up and do a good job and needless to say these playoff games have had far to many games that have been in question of the refs doing a good and thorough job. win or lose both teams deserve a well officiated basketball game by the suppose best of the best referee's.

Reactions: meezymo
It's all of the above. More experience, more demonstrated history of rule knowledge, judgement and effectively managing crew and game = more trust with assignors, better assignments.

Yes, officials are assigned at high level because the are liked by their assignor; but they are liked for what they bring to the game: experience.

Not unique to refs. Coaches, players, everyone gets opportunities because they bring something to the table that others don't have.

Not sure if you're disagreeing or agreeing, but your last line supports this point.
i disagreed with the statement that officials do not know time, foul situation and who is fouling... Then your statement that if they officiate like that they wont be doing any high level... anyone who refs knows its who you knw not what you can do. play calling should be that deciding factor but it isnt most of the time.

As I have stated before the refs need to consider that the teams who have reached this point in this season have put over a year's worth of commitment and so have the coaching staff of both teams they deserve for the refs to show up and do a good job and needless to say these playoff games have had far to many games that have been in question of the refs doing a good and thorough job. win or lose both teams deserve a well officiated basketball game by the suppose best of the best referee's.
a well officiated game is subjective... everyone's son gets fouled on every smoked lay up and miss jumpshot.... and their son never fouls when leaving their feet on defense or grabbing the dribbler when they do not slide their feet... if the parent spent as much time coaching their son as they did the officials their son might get that scholarship to north carolina or michigan. Also remember dad there is no such thing as over the back

My opinion was not coming from a parents perspective it was coming from a fan of the game and a huge fan of high school and college hoops. what I have saw this postseason isnt an overall knock on all referee's but there have been numerous games where officials have had mutilple delays in the game because they were not all on the same page or basically stepping over there partners call what I am saying refs need to show up and not look at it as just there part time 2 hour gig for the night they need to realize what is at stake for both programs and put forth an effort that is worthy of them being selected just as the teams have put forth the effort to be in the position they are in.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
i disagreed with the statement that officials do not know time, foul situation and who is fouling... Then your statement that if they officiate like that they wont be doing any high level... anyone who refs knows its who you knw not what you can do. play calling should be that deciding factor but it isnt most of the time.

Are you an official speaking from experience, or merely speculating on why officials call what they call? Not clear what point is being made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT