ADVERTISEMENT

San Leandro doing it with youth

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
San Leandro (9-2) has no seniors and just two juniors on the roster. The top three scorers are underclassmen.

They haven't played a great schedule, but did hand Berkeley its only loss and its own two losses are to Logan and Lincoln-Stockton.

Reactions: pantera-cat
When I said I had them in my top 20 everyone was puzzled. I still don't think they have really been tested yet as far as top tier teams. If they have to go Division 1 they will struggle but anything lower than that they have a shot

When I said I had them in my top 20 everyone was puzzled. I still don't think they have really been tested yet as far as top tier teams. If they have to go Division 1 they will struggle but anything lower than that they have a shot

Well, they are traditionally a division 1 team based on attendance. If they are a top 20 team, they belong in division 1, even with competitive equity factored in.

Well, they are traditionally a division 1 team based on attendance. If they are a top 20 team, they belong in division 1, even with competitive equity factored in.
Divisions aren't based on attendance anymore. You know that. Division I will be filled with teams from all divisions and will be pretty tough. Even though that's their enrollment division traditionally talent wise they are Division III or IV

It's interesting and unfortunate ... Division I will be filled with teams that have proven themselves to be very good over time, and schools with large enrollments, regardless of their competitive level.

Of course, NCS had to start somewhere, so it started with the enrollment-based divisions and then adjusted. My radical proposal is to eliminate divisions entirely until the end of the season, and then place all playoff qualifiers in divisions by competitive equity. If the CIF can rank teams 1-88 in one day, so can NCS, and there aren't 88 teams that qualify for NCS playoffs.

It's interesting and unfortunate ... Division I will be filled with teams that have proven themselves to be very good over time, and schools with large enrollments, regardless of their competitive level.

Of course, NCS had to start somewhere, so it started with the enrollment-based divisions and then adjusted. My radical proposal is to eliminate divisions entirely until the end of the season, and then place all playoff qualifiers in divisions by competitive equity. If the CIF can rank teams 1-88 in one day, so can NCS, and there aren't 88 teams that qualify for NCS playoffs.

Thats a long process and that's 176 if you add the boys teams to it. When you get to that high number of teams, it would seem to me that they should take two days to plan it-this way they really can get it right. I like the idea but not sure how feasible or manageable it would be

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT