ADVERTISEMENT

Serra 42 Riordan 0 in1st qtr

CityGame

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
according to Serra’s twiiter they lead the Crusaders 42-0 at the end of one. How early can you go to the running clock?

Yes. It could have. Ugly game all around...
Riordan QB Abdelghani has not been right since the first half of the Bellarmine game and left the Mitty game last week. Don't think he should have started and the backup soph, Brazdil, struggled mightily. Not that it would have mattered, but Bottari threw an int on their first drive and qb#8 just did not have anything on his ball and missed his receivers...
JV victory avoids the sweep with hulking frosh Kefu leading the way on the ground and on D. If qb #8 is out, soph Ledbetter from JVs, has more to his game than Brazdil.

Reactions: TedSmithers
Thank heavens for a running clock and a very charitable Serra coaching staff. It could have been far worse.

Excuse me. But The Serra Coaching Staff was not charitable in any way, that I saw. Serra put up a quick 36 points in the game. This should meant the second team should enter the game, it did not happen. It also should meant that Serra would put no returners back to return punts. Sometime in the second quarter, the Serra Coaching Staff decided to send in their Second Team QB, but he had already scored a TD in the game. The Serra Coaching Staff was still trying to pass the ball on the final drive of the game in the third quarter. First Team players scored the first 50 points of the game. There might possibly be some second team players in the game at that point of the game, but I did not recognize any full team of second team players and no actions by the Serra Coaching Staff were charitable at that point. Other than the second team kicker kicking 2 extra points.

Reactions: rabbit5
They didn't have to go to a running clock until the 4th quarter. They did so after halftime.

They didn't have to go to a running clock until the 4th quarter. They did so after halftime.

No. They did so in the second quarter. Reserves proliferated in that quarter as well. With a standard clock and a standard Serra offensive approach, 80 or more points were entirely possible in this one. But no one wants that. Any indication of a lack of sportsmanship on the part of the San Mateo Catholics by an earlier posting person is sadly misplaced.

I don’t think the Padres were running up the score. Quite frankly, Riordan’s incessant penalties pinned themselves inside their own red zone the entire game, add in short punts and the Padres were starting their drives inside of the Crusaders’ 40yd line. I think the Crusaders had more penalty yardage than offensive yardage in the first half, quite possibly for the entire game.
Stats, can you confirm?

In sorry retrospect, Serra tallied 43 digits in the first 12 minutes, just 15 after that. Something would indicate that the Padres took their foot off the gas. If they had scored 43 in all four periods, the final tally would have been 172 to something. Not good. Not good at all.

Excuse me. But The Serra Coaching Staff was not charitable in any way, that I saw. Serra put up a quick 36 points in the game. This should meant the second team should enter the game, it did not happen. It also should meant that Serra would put no returners back to return punts. Sometime in the second quarter, the Serra Coaching Staff decided to send in their Second Team QB, but he had already scored a TD in the game. The Serra Coaching Staff was still trying to pass the ball on the final drive of the game in the third quarter. First Team players scored the first 50 points of the game. There might possibly be some second team players in the game at that point of the game, but I did not recognize any full team of second team players and no actions by the Serra Coaching Staff were charitable at that point. Other than the second team kicker kicking 2 extra points.

Please. You are way, way off base on this one.

Sorry, but have to agree with colhenry on this one and no doubt in my mind. This was a clear mismatch from the start. Riordan;s coaches recognized it & went on 4th & 12 early in 1rst quarter in their own territory [as I posted on WCAL thread]. Now why would Riordan's coach do this? Because they recognized there was no chance for a win, "plane & simpal" and continued such coaching decisions during rest of game making substitutions to give other players playing time such as the #2 QB who played well. The Serra coaching staff started pulling starters late 2nd quarter. I can understand why Riordan supporter's might feel otherwise, but it is unfair to blame Serra for the outcome as the score could have been far, far worse & I don't think anyone will debate that fact.

Reactions: Scott2138
The last 10 years Serra-Riordan matchup has not looked pretty. For whatever reason Serra seems to really run things up on Riordan.
2018- 57-6 (0-3 currently)
2017- 45-0 (1-6)
2016- 49-14 (0-7)
2015- WIN 66-45 (4-3)
2014- 36-6 (1-6)
2013- 56-6 (1-6)
2012- 56-0 (0-7)
2011- 35-10 (0-7)
2010- 57-7 (1-6)
2009- 35-13 (0-7)
2008- 34-10 (1-5-1)

This is quite sad, alarming, whatever you want to call it. And take it from me, whose Irish teams know exactly how this last 10 years of Riordan football feels like. Never thought we would see this. Maybe this is the trend. The kids go to SH to play football and go to Riordan to play hoops.

Boo hoo...Did the big, mean Padres hurt your little feelings??? I'll bet each of your jackrabbits receive a trophy at the end of the season...

God forbid you play some of the other big show teams out there...You guys don't follow prep sports scores carefully do you???

The last 10 years Serra-Riordan matchup has not looked pretty. For whatever reason Serra seems to really run things up on Riordan.
2017- 45-0 (1-6)
2016- 49-14 (0-7)
2015- WIN 66-45 (4-3)
2014- 36-6 (1-6)
2013- 56-6 (1-6)
2012- 56-0 (0-7)
2011- 35-10 (0-7)
2010- 57-7 (1-6)
2009- 35-13 (0-7)
2008- 34-10 (1-5-1)

This is quite sad, alarming, whatever you want to call it. And take it from me, whose Irish teams know exactly how this last 10 years of Riordan football feels like. Never thought we would see this. Maybe this is the trend. The kids go to SH to play football and go to Riordan to play hoops.

The WCAL has become a two-tier league. The five southern schools and the SF trio. It's a bad situation.

2017- 45-0 (1-6)
2016- 49-14 (0-7)
2015- WIN 66-45 (4-3)
2014- 36-6 (1-6)
2013- 56-6 (1-6)
2012- 56-0 (0-7)
2011- 35-10 (0-7)
2010- 57-7 (1-6)
2009- 35-13 (0-7)
2008- 34-10 (1-5-1)

Regarding that decade of Riordan futility vs. Serra, let's be honest here: Most of those depressing margins could have been much larger if the Padres had not called off the bow-wows. Good for them.

Regarding that decade of Riordan futility vs. Serra, let's be honest here: Most of those depressing margins could have been much larger if the Padres had not called off the bow-wows. Good for them.

Very much agree with this. Serra elected to pretty much stop scoring in virtually all of those games, save for the loss in 2015. Today the Padres scored 43 in the first quarter, and then 14 in the next three quarters. I’m thinking that was on purpose.

Reactions: jordan24
Very much agree with this. Serra elected to pretty much stop scoring in virtually all of those games, save for the loss in 2015. Today the Padres scored 43 in the first quarter, and then 14 in the next three quarters. I’m thinking that was on purpose.

By the way, is Serra's No.27 Nusi Malani OK? He went off the field in the first half with an injury.

2017- 45-0 (1-6)
2016- 49-14 (0-7)
2015- WIN 66-45 (4-3)
2014- 36-6 (1-6)
2013- 56-6 (1-6)
2012- 56-0 (0-7)
2011- 35-10 (0-7)
2010- 57-7 (1-6)
2009- 35-13 (0-7)
2008- 34-10 (1-5-1)

Did not realize SHC has become a football school. This is a startling revelation.

Reactions: Rmbr26 and jordan24
Did not realize SHC has become a football school. This is a startling revelation.

Absolutely not by no means. You can argue our stars are likely Crusaders if this is the 90s, early 2000s. No way they go to SH. So something shifted in the last 10-15 years. For SH I would say going 1-6 or 2-5 in league is right on par. 3-4 or 4-3 oh me oh my what a success!! We’ll never be a football school.

The majority of our athletic success is carried on the shoulders of our girls which is something I am not ashamed of at all. The girls always got their stuff together. Look at the girls volleyball team, WCAL champs already this year. Every single year since going co-ed they have never had a down year. Basketball, if it wasn’t for the juggernaut in San Jose, how many league and section titles would they have?

The WCAL has become a two-tier league. The five southern schools and the SF trio. It's a bad situation.

JOKE: Time for the SF WCAL schools to join the AAA. LOL

But seriously, the SF WCAL schools are getting beat up. I remember SHC going independent for a long while in football before rejoining the WCAL. I think that was just to reorganize the program. But what's up with the teams in SF now? Lack of talent?

The AAA is also top heavy with Mission, Lincoln and Mission the likely favorites with Burton / Balboa the dark horses and Washington / Lowell bringing up the rear. It's funny this AAA varsity season could be a competitive one. BUT if anyone's noticed, there are only 4 Frosh/Soph football teams as Mission and Washington dropped their teams. A tough time for SF high school football

How

But seriously, the SF WCAL schools are getting beat up. I remember SHC going independent for a long while in football before rejoining the WCAL. I think that was just to reorganize the program. But what's up with the teams in SF now? Lack of talent?

The AAA is also top heavy with Mission, Lincoln and Mission the likely favorites with Burton / Balboa the dark horses and Washington / Lowell bringing up the rear. It's funny this AAA varsity season could be a competitive one. BUT if anyone's noticed, there are only 4 Frosh/Soph football teams as Mission and Washington dropped their teams. A tough time for SF high school football
How many Head coach’s has Riordan had in the last 10 years? 4, 5, 6? That speaks volumes.

I believe gentrification has a big role in all this

Boo hoo...Did the big, mean Padres hurt your little feelings??? I'll bet each of your jackrabbits receive a trophy at the end of the season...

God forbid you play some of the other big show teams out there...You guys don't follow prep sports scores carefully do you???

Now, now, Teddy, let's not get chippy here. The football situation at Riordan is difficult enough without piling on. Some changes are going to have to be made at the former home of the revered Doc Erskine et al.

Now, now, Teddy, let's not get chippy here. The football situation at Riordan is difficult enough without piling on. Some changes are going to have to be made at the former home of the revered Doc Erskine et al.
Welcome back Ted! Always enjoy your takes on "jackrabbit " football. Lol!
Sadly, the Col is correct in his assessment.

Absolutely not by no means. You can argue our stars are likely Crusaders if this is the 90s, early 2000s. No way they go to SH. So something shifted in the last 10-15 years. For SH I would say going 1-6 or 2-5 in league is right on par. 3-4 or 4-3 oh me oh my what a success!! We’ll never be a football school.

The majority of our athletic success is carried on the shoulders of our girls which is something I am not ashamed of at all. The girls always got their stuff together. Look at the girls volleyball team, WCAL champs already this year. Every single year since going co-ed they have never had a down year. Basketball, if it wasn’t for the juggernaut in San Jose, how many league and section titles would they have?

Don't ever say never, anything is possible if you stay positive..Having said that, IRISH fans have waited an eternity for consistency in its football program. Coach Barry may be the guy no one saw coming to improve the program. If you saw Will Irons last year, it was truly refreshing to see SH have a passing game. Think when Logan White was here, I don't think Peralta let him throw much at all.

Last edited:
No debating Saturday's debacle and annihilation of the Crusaders at Brady Family Stadium.
But Serra's previous 2 victories over Mitty and Bellarmine had the Padres up by 5 TDs and both teams shut out by the half - having the Padres take their foot off the gas in running clock mode. Mitty was tagged by some as a darkhorse for the WCAL title.
Bottom line: The Padres sharpened up during non-league and now are running roughshod in the WCAL again.

Don't ever say never, anything is possible if you stay positive..Having said that, IRISH fans have waited an eternity for consistency in its football program. Coach Barry may be the guy no one saw coming to improve the program. If you saw Will Irons last year, it was truly refreshing to see SH have a passing game. Think when Logan White was here, I don't think Peralta let him throw much at all.

I think this decade SH has a stretch of "better than what we are used to" QBs. Harrington, White, Irons, and now Dowling. The Irish have always been able to get a very good running back (all the Sheppards the two Rances, Yarnway, Miles, Heard, etc. Couple the run game with able passers makes SH somewhat competitive in league and more entertaining to watch. The veer/wing offense Peralta ran worked with the talent he had at MC and Riordan but not with what he had at SH. Bless Coach Peralta for trying to make it work with his alma mater. Coach Maclaughlin has a good thing going. Two former and recent players like Tapel and Sanders you can tell are valuable assets to have on the staff.

Here's a final disturbing note about that Saturday nightmare in San Mateo: Serra was not especially sharp. Riordan simply provided the Padres with oodles of easy opportunities for quick scores in that endless 62-minute first period. Serra took grateful advantage. Riordan did not tackle well, committed scads of penalties, botched numerous offensive sets, turned the ball over, remained stuck deep in their own territory and could not, or would not, punt their way out of it and generally appeared to be simply confused and overwhelmed right from the get-go. This was not a case of Serra playing great football. It was Riordan showing up and being utterly unprepared and non-competitive.

Here's a final disturbing note about that Saturday nightmare in San Mateo: Serra was not especially sharp. Riordan simply provided the Padres with oodles of easy opportunities for quick scores in that endless 62-minute first period. Serra took grateful advantage. Riordan did not tackle well, committed scads of penalties, botched numerous offensive sets, turned the ball over, remained stuck deep in their own territory and could not, or would not, punt their way out of it and generally appeared to be simply confused and overwhelmed right from the get-go. This was not a case of Serra playing great football. It was Riordan showing up and being utterly unprepared and non-competitive.
Agree Col. What’s the story with Mitty and Bellarmine then?

Agree Col. What’s the story with Mitty and Bellarmine then?

Bellarmine is way, way down. Mitty is a year away from being a threat to the WCAL top tier. Actually, if you step back, the WCAL is not particularly dominant overall in 2018. That losing non-league record is a pretty good indicator of its status. Serra was significantly better in 2017. The league is simply not at the level most of its fans expect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT