ADVERTISEMENT

The WCAL This Year

WCAL75

Hall of Famer
Sep 24, 2010
Since the rambling man is missing in action this year how does the WCAL shape up this year. Any thoughts?

I would say it breaks down like this. It is Serra and VC then all the rest.

So tier 1 would be Serra and VC.

Tier 2 would be be Saint Francis and Bellarmine. My gut tells me that Bellarmine is quietly sneaking up on us. Their Freshman class went undefeated. Saint Francis Freshman only had 1 loss and that was to.Bellarmine. Saint Francis JV only had one loss and that was to De La Salle. They beat CDM.

Tier 3 would be Mitty and SI

Tier 4 SHC and Riordan

Last edited:
Bellarmine is the most interesting team in the league to me. The new staff has brought in a lot of energy.

I agree with Serra and VC in tier one with St. Francis a notch below.

Does today's announcement do away with the playing within your county and/or adjacent county guidance ?

Current WCAL schedule shows league divided into North and South divisions with a total of three games per school. That could change, though, depending on case rates per county and other factors. A full seven-game league schedule might be do-able. Emphasis on the word "might." Six games seem more reasonable, given a tight calendar.

Last edited:
Agree on Bells. They will be back at some point in the relatively near future. Fall 2021 could be promising. We shall see.

While Santa Clara Valley has not given the go ahead for football yet. It seems likely that they will do so. I just hope it’s not the night before a scheduled game.

Contra Costa County has also not given the green light which affects schools in that area including DLS

Since it looks like the rambler man is gone this season. I nominate jordan24 as next man up

Last edited:
Appreciate the nomination WCAL75. I just don't think my WCAL primer would do justice compared to the excellent work that Rmbr26 has provided us over the past seasons.
I'm sure with yesterday's announcement, the Ramblin man is firing up his 1.65+ exaflop AI-enabled supercomputer and churning and correlating all of the excellent data and insight he always publishes.
As we anxiously await the return of Rmbr, how about we collaborate on the teams we are most familar with, kinda of like a crowdsource effort with the input from folks like IrishCheers-SHC, WCAL75-SF, DefenseRules-VC and ColHenry-Bells?
Let's kick off by commenting of teams either on the rise, decline or staying steady based on last season's results?
Serra 6-1; 9-1
VC 6-1; 9-1
SI 6-1-; 8-2
Mitty 4-3; 6-4
SF 3-4; 4-6
Bells 2-5; 3-7
Riordan 1-6; 3-7
SHC 0-7; 0-10

I guess that Mr. Henry will be doing 2 two teams if you add in Bellarmine. He is a Serra guy but has a great deal of knowledge on all things on football.

I could cut and paste what I said a month or two ago about Sant Francis. Last year the SF Freshman team only lost once and that was to Bellarmine. SF’s JV team only lost once and that was to DLS and the beat CDM’s JV team. So lots of help on the way. This years senior class is above average. So if the lancers are going to make a move this year it will have to be carried by the junior class and sophomores.

I really see the WCAL this year as being Serra and VC then all the rest. I think SF moves up to the second tier behind VC and Serra. Next year SF’s team will be the best since their State Championship team.

Due to pandemic circumstances beyond our control, a fair evaluation of each program is going to be difficult. A full WCAL schedule is not possible so a round-robin cannot be held. Neither can a slate of non-league games. With a North/South divide in place, results and records may be deceptive. Combine that with the fact that so many programs are in some degree of flux with new coaching staffs and lots of young players projected in key positions (VC and Serra are probably exceptions). If a round-robin were conducted, the Warriors and Padres would appear to be co-favorites again. St. Francis could be a wild card. The rest are in varying stages of rebuild and renewal. In some ways, the delayed 2020 mini-season will be a more formal and substantial version of spring football in preparation for the fall 2021 season.

Last edited:
Agree, it's not going to be your traditional evaluation of the teams this year... But since we've been sequestered for so long, I'm interested in hearing what's been going on at each of the programs.
Riordan Athletics has been providing weekly updates through its Instagram account with updates on the facilities upgrades as it moves to co-ed, intros to the new coaches, etc. A while back, Coach Modeste was a guest and shared that the football team is fully staffed with 8 onsite coaches with varying degrees of experience and perspective - including a former RB @ SJSU and former VP of player personnel of the Rams and scouting dept for the 49ers.. The young men have been conditioning since the summer and throughout following protocols. The Crusaders return its skill players at QB, 3 RBs, 2 WRs and bring up a soph RB/WR who played as a frosh on JVs. Does this equate to wins? We shall see. But the participation, support from the Admin, a full coaching staff and upgraded facilities are steps in the right direction in building a competitive and sustainable program.

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives
CCS commish now says section teams have the option to play games through end of April. That might allow the WCAL schools to play seven games. Gnarled fingers are crossed.

Bells are back!
The life and atmosphere brought in by the new coaching staff at Bellarmine can not be overstated.
Players are energized, excited and now actually promoted to college recruiters now rather than stuck under the
secretive North Korea type regime of the past few years. If Dr. Cody allows them the play the Bells could show
that the program is back on track. Many wasted talents from last season are returning. The Bell senior class has a ton of talent that was unused last year. This class beat Serra twice and demolished St Francis when they were Frosh. 8 players were called to Varsity as sophs and one that played JV has signed with Washington .

Key Returning Players

Joaquin Moreno RB/LB 6'2" 225 Rb/Lb- best athlete on the team. Was wasted last season as mostly a wild cat QB Many D3 offers but if they can play this year could easily play at
FCS level
Reese Burrill RB/ LB SS 5-10 200- was hurt vs Riordan last season and played injured the rest of the year. probably the best player on the team. Most likely will be more of a strong safety in the new scheme . Easily an FCS level player.
Will Matlack TE/LB 6'2 215 - another great athlete who went mostly unused as a receiver the past 2 years. A match up problem as a receiving TE. Can rush the passer at OLB . Committed to play
football next fall at Macalester
Griffin Waiss TE/DE 6'5" 225- signed as preferred walk on at University Washington. Was not given a chance but but can catch the ball and is a great blocker at TE. Will be exciting to see him at DE this year as well.
Russel McKever DE 6'3" 230- pass rusher who has multiple D3 offers

Jaxon Sawyer- Rb/DB - All WCAL DB last season that is a D1/FCS level player

Nicho Domine WR- will shine in new offense FCS interest

Wade Smith QB Jr- All WCAL QB that will only get better now that he is being coached D1/FCS interest

Thomas DiVittorio Jr DB- made plays last year as a soph. Huge work ethic to match talent. D1/FCS
interest
Thomas Blevins SR LB- Hardnosed 3 year starter . WCAL wrestling Champion last year.

Drew Broch Sr LB- All WCAL last year . Big hitter great high school player

Adam Hayashi Wr/DB- will thrive in new offense . Another great high school player.

Lower classes have players especially the 2023 class. Bells should be fun to watch IF Cody allows them to play.

Valley has the best talent in WCAL this year
Serra - how much can Jr and Soph class make up for poor senior class
Bells- New Day
SF- one year away from being a state team
Riordan- Tons of both player and coaching talent
SI- will drop off
SHP- QB is a Joe Montanna of high school. SI wishing he never left
Mitty- program starting a steep decline. No JV team this year

Sounds like Bells are a contender for whatever sort of "title" the WCAL employs in quasi-2020 campaign.

Current Serra schedule on MaxPreps shows five games: VC, SHC, SF, Riordan and SI. Ending on April 17 with CCS allowing leagues to play two more games if so desired by May 1.

There is some concern that Santa Clara County health officials may delay the opening of CIF Season One prep athletics at this point. That would toss the WCAL football schedule into a cocked hat.

Bells are back!
The life and atmosphere brought in by the new coaching staff at Bellarmine can not be overstated.
Players are energized, excited and now actually promoted to college recruiters now rather than stuck under the
secretive North Korea type regime of the past few years. If Dr. Cody allows them the play the Bells could show
that the program is back on track. Many wasted talents from last season are returning. The Bell senior class has a ton of talent that was unused last year. This class beat Serra twice and demolished St Francis when they were Frosh. 8 players were called to Varsity as sophs and one that played JV has signed with Washington .

Key Returning Players

Joaquin Moreno RB/LB 6'2" 225 Rb/Lb- best athlete on the team. Was wasted last season as mostly a wild cat QB Many D3 offers but if they can play this year could easily play at
FCS level
Reese Burrill RB/ LB SS 5-10 200- was hurt vs Riordan last season and played injured the rest of the year. probably the best player on the team. Most likely will be more of a strong safety in the new scheme . Easily an FCS level player.
Will Matlack TE/LB 6'2 215 - another great athlete who went mostly unused as a receiver the past 2 years. A match up problem as a receiving TE. Can rush the passer at OLB . Committed to play
football next fall at Macalester
Griffin Waiss TE/DE 6'5" 225- signed as preferred walk on at University Washington. Was not given a chance but but can catch the ball and is a great blocker at TE. Will be exciting to see him at DE this year as well.
Russel McKever DE 6'3" 230- pass rusher who has multiple D3 offers

Jaxon Sawyer- Rb/DB - All WCAL DB last season that is a D1/FCS level player

Nicho Domine WR- will shine in new offense FCS interest

Wade Smith QB Jr- All WCAL QB that will only get better now that he is being coached D1/FCS interest

Thomas DiVittorio Jr DB- made plays last year as a soph. Huge work ethic to match talent. D1/FCS
interest
Thomas Blevins SR LB- Hardnosed 3 year starter . WCAL wrestling Champion last year.

Drew Broch Sr LB- All WCAL last year . Big hitter great high school player

Adam Hayashi Wr/DB- will thrive in new offense . Another great high school player.

Lower classes have players especially the 2023 class. Bells should be fun to watch IF Cody allows them to play.

Valley has the best talent in WCAL this year
Serra - how much can Jr and Soph class make up for poor senior class
Bells- New Day
SF- one year away from being a state team
Riordan- Tons of both player and coaching talent
SI- will drop off
SHP- QB is a Joe Montanna of high school. SI wishing he never left
Mitty- program starting a steep decline. No JV team this year
Lots of possibilities for the Bells this season and it should be very exciting to watch any new offensive scheme other than the “3 yds and a cloud of dust” we have watched for the past 35 years. Not getting hopes too high just yet as they still lack serious D1 talent and are missing perhaps the most important part of any football team. A LINE! Looks like we are gonna get to see what these new coaches have in store to address that issue. They will also need a passer as I expect them to actually pass more than they run this year. Maybe there will be a few new faces out there that are ready to shine at some key positions.

Mercury News is reporting that San Francisco schools are in competitive limbo due to the city's tough stance re outdoor athletics. That would also affect Serra's WCAL schedule.

With an enrollment of 1,600 boys, Bellarmine should be a top football State contender every year.

They do have a large student population, but it is getting tougher to get into the school, the demographic shift has been dramatic, and with pre-covid traffic, kids are switching to schools closer to them. They are just no longer getting the same quality of football talent as they used to.

SF Update - SF Dept of Public Health sent an email yesterday to the SF Chronicle saying it will be easing its stance starting today and going all in when SF is expected to be assigned to red tier on Tuesday.

SF Chronicle-updated Thursday night

Last edited:
Reactions: Santa Ball
Indeed. This amounts to a long, detailed and focused spring football session in preparation for the new regime's first fall season upcoming in five short months.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT