ADVERTISEMENT

WAY WAY TOO EARLY TOP 5 TEAMS RANKING

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
I know its way too early but what the hell why not?

1. MITTY... nothing needs to be said about this pic. They are the top Dawgs as far as I'm concerned until they are knocked off the throne.

2. Folsom
3. SMS
4. CLET
5. CN

Knocking on the door:

PW
Piedmont

Don’t sleep on McClatchy (a deep, athletic roster) and Vanden (bumped from D3 Section juggernaut to NorCal D1 playoffs last season). Both are Top 10, at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives

1. MITTY... nothing needs to be said about this pic. They are the top Dawgs as far as I'm concerned until they are knocked off the throne.

2. Folsom
3. SMS
4. CLET
5. CN

Knocking on the door:

PW
Piedmont
I think you are pretty spot on. McClatchy, Vanden have been mentioned as the next tier, which I agree with. Would add Salesian and SRV as teams that won't drop completely off. Tech will be in this mix too IMO

Looking at the power leagues, WCAL seems down after Mitty, SFL is interesting after Folsom with Oak Ridge (lose Brown and Ray but super consistent) and is this the year Whitney makes a run.

2. Folsom
3. SMS
4. CLET
5. CN

Knocking on the door:

PW
Piedmont

While I would tend to agree with this statement, I have been hearing a lot about the open gyms at SMS. they got a transfer who I heard is hands down (flat out) the best player in the gym, which is hard to imagine.

While I would tend to agree with this statement, I have been hearing a lot about the open gyms at SMS. they got a transfer who I heard is hands down (flat out) the best player in the gym, which is hard to imagine.
If she's better/as good or close to as good as the top 20 espn senior they already have then that's a REAL NICE TRANSFER for SMS

Reactions: OnBall8
What do we know about Antelope? They always seem to have a stud or 2 on the roster? How do they look this year? Are they good enough to be a D1 team in Norcals potentially?

What do we know about Antelope? They always seem to have a stud or 2 on the roster? How do they look this year? Are they good enough to be a D1 team in Norcals potentially?
Don't really know. Mary Carter was the junior stud last season. Antelope only had one senior on the team last season, so theoretically everyone but one can return and be a formidable team like last season.

Reactions: Streak One
A few other teams to watch. Oakland Tech should be strong based on what I saw this summer. Agree the WCAL will take a step back. Graduations elsewhere may open a door for a top three finish for SHCP. Palo Alto and Half Moon Bay - two publics who made CCS open - should return there this year. Los Gatos would be in that mix too, but their leading scorer may have xferred.

If she's better/as good or close to as good as the top 20 espn senior they already have then that's a REAL NICE TRANSFER for SMS

There was a rumor (was on NCP a few weeks ago) that the kid is from Eureka and has flown under the radar because of her location. But that she's legit one of the best overall players on that team (now) and it's not even close.

A few other teams to watch. Oakland Tech should be strong based on what I saw this summer. Agree the WCAL will take a step back. Graduations elsewhere may open a door for a top three finish for SHCP. Palo Alto and Half Moon Bay - two publics who made CCS open - should return there this year. Los Gatos would be in that mix too, but their leading scorer may have xferred.
HMA's placement in the CCS Open Division was a huge mistake and a distinct disservice to a team that plays in a decidedly mediocre public school league. After getting pounded all week in the Open, the Cougars then flamed out quickly in NorCals, losing to Gateway (good heavens) in a lower division opener. They have a new coach and,, we can only hope, they will not be sacrificial lambs for the CCS private/parochials in the 2023 Open. The 2022 playoff experience was a nightmare, losing three games by an average of 50 points per outing. Shame on the adults who stuck them in the Open. That includes HMB's former mentor who agreed to the move..

Last edited:
I tend to agree on HMB, though others have said on this board that they were missing their best player when playoffs rolled around. Plainly wouldn't have made the difference (they lost by 70, 50 and 30 to Mitty, VC and SF respectively).

Paly gave SI a game before losing by 20 or so, and then went on to beat SHCP. So if you believe there should have been more than five teams in the Open, Paly deserved its spot.

Other than Mitty (a monstrously large exception), the publics should do better this year. SI, St. Francis, VC and Pinewood all got hit hard by graduation.

HMA's placement in the CCS Open Division was a huge mistake and a distinct disservice to a team that plays in a decidedly mediocre public school league. After getting pounded all week in the Open, the Cougars then flamed out quickly in NorCals, losing to Gateway (good heavens) in a lower division opener. They have a new coach and,, we can only hope, they will not be sacrificial lambs for the CCS private/parochials in the 2023 Open. The 2022 playoff experience was a nightmare, losing three games by an average of 50 points per outing. Shame on the adults who stuck them in the Open. That includes HMB's former mentor who agreed to the move..
Jut to clarify, the HMB ASKED to be placed in the OPEN, even after losing his best player to injury. Perhaps CCS shouldn't have granted his request, but they place a lot of weight on programs desires, hence Hillsdale not moving up into the OPEN.

So is this a fair preseason NorCal Top Ten ranking?

1. Mitty
2. SMS
3. Folsom
4. C-let
5. Oak Tech
6. Pinewood
7. SI
8. SF
9. SRV
10. Antelope

Questions; Besides Folsom what are the best Sac area teams? Anyone in Northern Section who could dent this list? Clovis West lost by only single digits in NorCal semis to Mitty and yet I don't see anyone discuss them here. Is that because they are too far away for us to know much about them or were they hit hard by graduation?

Take out your 7, 8, 9 and 10 and add O dowd, Salesian, Moreau Catholic, and Piedmont. CCS will be way down this year outside Mitty and PW. If you want Clovis West on your Norcal list they would slot in #3 behind Mitty and SMS. They are an Open team if they go North for State.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Of course CCS is down. A number of the best returning players in the PAL (Burlingame's Uhrich, 5-10, and Weisman, 6-2, among them) have bolted for the privates, Uhrich to Pinewood and Weisman to Mitty. Nightmare.

Of course CCS is down. A number of the best returning players in the PAL (Burlingame's Uhrich, 5-10, and Weisman, 6-2, among them) have bolted for the privates, Uhrich to Pinewood and Weisman to Mitty. Nightmare.
Yea a nightmare that they now have to sit out for 2 months.. its a shame..

If you want Clovis West on your Norcal list they would slot in #3 behind Mitty and SMS. They are an Open team if they go North for State.
Totally agree re CW. Saw them a couple weeks ago. Very high octane, and enough ball handling to combat Mitty's press.

So is this a fair preseason NorCal Top Ten ranking?

1. Mitty
2. SMS
3. Folsom
4. C-let
5. Oak Tech
6. Pinewood
7. SI
8. SF
9. SRV
10. Antelope

Questions; Besides Folsom what are the best Sac area teams? Anyone in Northern Section who could dent this list? Clovis West lost by only single digits in NorCal semis to Mitty and yet I don't see anyone discuss them here. Is that because they are too far away for us to know much about them or were they hit hard by graduation?
Would put Sacred Heart Cathedral above SF, and probably above SI too.

Would put Sacred Heart Cathedral above SF, and probably above SI too.
Care to elaborate on this? I think SHC only won 1 game last year in league. Were they just young and now you think they will be better? Do they have any transfers?

SI lost alot to graduation but seemed to have a decent JV and Frosh as well as a good coach now running her own AAU program. Lends me to believe they won't drop as far as some expect, but I've been wrong many times before...

It's a question of relative strength, not absolute talent. SHC absolutely will not compete with Mitty. But SF lost almost everyone who saw significant time last year. SI lost its biggest contributors. SHC returns virtually everyone, and added one strong player with size that I've never seen before (don't know if she's an xfer). While it doesn't always translate, SHC's AAU team beat SI's AAU team pretty easily a couple of weeks ago.

It's a question of relative strength, not absolute talent. SHC absolutely will not compete with Mitty. But SF lost almost everyone who saw significant time last year. SI lost its biggest contributors. SHC returns virtually everyone, and added one strong player with size that I've never seen before (don't know if she's an xfer). While it doesn't always translate, SHC's AAU team beat SI's AAU team pretty easily a couple of weeks ago.
What is SHC's AAU team called? Are they back running with MRC? I know a lot of those kids did bulldawgs for a while when laryan was there because he didnt do any club.

Yup. Bulldawgs. And SI is the SF Sparks. Again, something may get lost in translation -- some AAU player might be from another school or a key player for the school might be missing/hurt. But the Bulldawgs were a cut above the Sparks.

What is SHC's AAU team called? Are they back running with MRC? I know a lot of those kids did bulldawgs for a while when laryan was there because he didnt do any club.
There are 4 girls from Bulldawgs at SHC, two seniors and two Sophomores but certainly not the whole squad. Even the varsity Bulldawgs team was relatively young, with just 4 seniors (2 SHC, 1 Summit Shasta, 1 Hillsdale). Only the Summit girl came off the bench. The two SHC sophomores played 16U on the college circuit this summer and are ready for significant minutes for SHC this winter. So while the Bulldawgs typically handled SI's AAU team, I think SI will play SHC much tougher. SHC is a great mix of Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. They'll likely start 2 seniors and 3 juniors this year.

I don't think this has been mentioned much but St. Mary's has added one of the top senior prospects in NorCal

She won't have to sit. The family moved to Stockton. Great kid, HUGE upside and range like you don't even know. Could easily be one of the top players in Norcal if she gets her motor going. Not too many people know of her because she's from Eureka/North Coast. Watch out..she's a fun kid to watch

Best of luck Lele!

She won't have to sit. The family moved to Stockton. Great kid, HUGE upside and range like you don't even know. Could easily be one of the top players in Norcal if she gets her motor going. Not too many people know of her because she's from Eureka/North Coast. Watch out..she's a fun kid to watch

Best of luck Lele!
I thought even if you moved, you had to sit out until January?

I thought even if you moved, you had to sit out until January?
if it's a legal change of address (from one address to a new), you're good to go with no penalty. But the entire family must move/change address. It gets complicated when you're dealing with divorce!

if it's a legal change of address (from one address to a new), you're good to go with no penalty. But the entire family must move/change address. It gets complicated when you're dealing with divorce!
interesting. not sure if that gets applied evenly in the ccs... i have heard some different things over the last few years...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT