ADVERTISEMENT

Who has a chance to repeat as CCS CHAMPS

GOTF

Hall of Famer
Jun 5, 2011
We had 5 CCS champs last year who has the best chance to repeat?

D1 --- Bellermine
D2 --- Oak Grove
D3 --- Sacred Heart Prep
D4 --- Aptos
D5 --- Half Moon Bay

My vote is probably Oak Grove especially with the addition of Washington transferring from TKA. Although they did graduate a few (20+).

I'd also go with Oak Grove despite a few departing players. They finished up very strong last season defeating Mitty, Valley Christian & St. Francis in order in the playoffs - very impressive playoff run!

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Bellarmine and Oak Grove. Prep loses too many players and skill players. Not sure about Aptos. HMB won't go far.

Spots in D3 might have a WCAL team. HMB will probably be up a level.

D-3 will have a WCAL team...

Last edited:
Oak Grove has good probability of being bumped into open division. I tthink Aptos has a good shot as well as SHP and HMB.I'll take Altos or SHP which will go against a Carmel or PG or Soledad if in D 4. Spots in d3 might have a WCAL team. HMB will probably be up a level.

Besides the open, What decides who plays at what division? I thought it was based off enrollment numbers?

Last edited:
Bellarmine has a pretty easy path to the D1 Open final each year with the new playoff system. D2 will be a gauntlet for years to come with traditional powers St. Francis, Valley, Oak Grove, Serra, Los Gatos and Mitty.

We had 5 CCS champs last year who has the best chance to repeat?

D1 --- Bellermine
D2 --- Oak Grove
D3 --- Sacred Heart Prep
D4 --- Aptos
D5 --- Half Moon Bay

My vote is probably Oak Grove especially with the addition of Washington transferring from TKA. Although they did graduate a few (20+).
How will Milpitas be next year?

2-years ago Milpitas had the largest team physically in the CCS by far [and the Bell's, one of the smallest teams in the WCAL defeated them in the CCS Open final].

I've found that the biggest teams physically are not always the best teams - takes: #1 = Coaching, #2 = talented skill players, #3 = a lotta beef on the O-line.

"I've found that the biggest teams physically are not always the best teams - takes: #1 = Coaching, #2 = talented skill players, #3 = a lotta beef on the O-line"
As a HMB fan I'd have to agree with you there RMBR26 ! Well said!!! throw in some HEART and Desire @ #4 on that list and you got winner!!

Reactions: Bubba3000
Milpitas should be pretty good. Line overall may not be as large as last season but do return the 6-8 300 lb soph that started as a freshman and will be playing at the next level like his brother. They tend to have a few big kids and they will have an athletic dual threat QB and very good RB. I think they may not be as strong as last season/ Have to look closer at Los Gatos, but the Cats may have the advantage this year. They will have a very athletic dual threat QB in Reid and always well coached. Cats may be the favorite in the DeAnza.

Bellarmine in D1 Open is my pick as the most likely to repeat. For 2016 their only real competition looks like Milpitas and San Benito and they seem to have just been better than those two programs lately. As for the future, hopefully Danny Sullivan can bring Paly back to being a power program and Los Gatos' enrollment keeps increasing so they may get moved up. This makes me hopeful D1 will get tougher in the next couple years.

For now D2 is the meat grinder with 6 legitimate power programs. It will be decided by who is hot/heathy in November.

Last edited:
2wcats, any chance you are a fan of Los Gatos High School Wildcats? The reason I ask is because I graduated from Branham High School in 1977 and even though we won the WVAL league title that year, we lost to Los Gatos. In fact, we lost to LG all four years I was in high school. We hated those guys but they were good and some years they were the only night game on our schedule. A few years after I graduated Los Gatos got too dominant and was removed from the West Valley league.

Last edited:
Bellarmine in D1 Open is my pick as the most likely to repeat. For 2016 their only real competition looks like Milpitas and San Benito and they seem to have just been better than those two programs lately. As for the future, hopefully Danny Sullivan can bring Paly back to being a power program and Los Gatos' enrollment keeps increasing so they may get moved up. This makes me hopeful D1 will get tougher in the next couple years.

For now D2 is the meat grinder with 6 legitimate power programs. It will be decided by who it hot/heathy in November.
Menlo-Atherton could potentially challenge Bellarmine in D1 Open. They pretty much have everyone back. But overall the division is not that strong.

Menlo-Atherton could potentially challenge Bellarmine in D1 Open. They pretty much have everyone back. But overall the division is not that strong.
Always thought MA could be good. I hope this is the season they get over the hump. That was a tough loss to San Benito in the first round last year. If everyone is back as you say they could be a pretty good. Preseason match ups with Bellarmine, Marin Catholic, and Los Gatos will allow you to tell pretty quickly.

MA will be good and should contend as they also had a pretty strong JV team that should add to the already solid roster along with a good coaching staff.

Always thought MA could be good. If everyone is back as you say they could be a pretty good. Preseason match ups with Bellarmine, Marin Catholic, Sacred Heart Cathedral and Los Gatos will allow you to tell pretty quickly.

Looks like their pre-season schedule is stronger than their league schedule. They won't come close to beating any WCAL teams.

Last edited:
"I've found that the biggest teams physically are not always the best teams - takes: #1 = Coaching, #2 = talented skill players, #3 = a lotta beef on the O-line"
As a HMB fan I'd have to agree with you there RMBR26 ! Well said!!! throw in some HEART and Desire @ #4 on that list and you got winner!!

A little luck and fair refs don't hurt either.

Menlo Atherton should compete for league title and may be favorite, but will need to improve dramatically on defense to compete against the top WCAL and figure out how to stop the double Wing and most likely Serra rushing attack. Even though league wasn't that strong they seemed to get better and beat a decent Sacred Heart Prep. They may have a shot to get to Open Div 1 finals if they get a high seeding and don't have to go through Bells or Serra to get there. Will know early when they play Bells, but Serra is probably stronger next season and San Benito - Hollister who they lost to last season will be very physical on defense and and return their top RB. MA is a team that could surpirse.

Menlo Atherton should compete for league title and may be favorite, but will need to improve dramatically on defense to compete against the top WCAL and figure out how to stop the double Wing and most likely Serra rushing attack. Even though league wasn't that strong they seemed to get better and beat a decent Sacred Heart Prep. They may have a shot to get to Open Div 1 finals if they get a high seeding and don't have to go through Bells or Serra to get there. Will know early when they play Bells, but Serra is probably stronger next season and San Benito - Hollister who they lost to last season will be very physical on defense and and return their top RB. MA is a team that could surpirse.

M-A scrimmages Serra before playing the Bells. Their non-league will be telling, but you don't see many public schools schedule like they are.

One thing to note is depending on who the playoff qualifiers this year....Serra and Oak Grove could be in Div 1. The 3 open divisions are seeded not exactly by hard line enrollments, but rather the top 8 enrollments into Open D1, next 8 into Open D2, and last 8 into Open D3. These are all the A league qualifiers and At-Large Bids, plus any opt-ups. You get a lot of D3/D2 teams that qualify, it means less D1 teams made it and teams start getting bumped up.

MA, LG, HMB, PA, Milpitas, Saratoga and 14 others can all been seen this Sat @ the CSM PASSING TOURNAMENT. Should be a good one

M-A scrimmages Serra before playing the Bells. Their non-league will be telling, but you don't see many public schools schedule like they are.

One thing to note is depending on who the playoff qualifiers this year....Serra and Oak Grove could be in Div 1. The 3 open divisions are seeded not exactly by hard line enrollments, but rather the top 8 enrollments into Open D1, next 8 into Open D2, and last 8 into Open D3. These are all the A league qualifiers and At-Large Bids, plus any opt-ups. You get a lot of D3/D2 teams that qualify, it means less D1 teams made it and teams start getting bumped up.
It would be almost impossible for Serra to get bumped to Open D1 (there are too many teams above them enrollment wise) but Oak Grove is a distinct possibility to be in D1. That would make that division far more interesting.

It would be almost impossible for Serra to get bumped to Open D1 (there are too many teams above them enrollment wise) but Oak Grove is a distinct possibility to be in D1. That would make that division far more interesting.

Looking at the C-Beds you're correct. Looks as though Wilcox, Palo Alto, Los Gatos, and Oak Grove will be the line between D1/D2 for the next few years. Next year's contenders IMO -

D1
Favorite - Bellarmine
Contenders - Milpitas, San Benito, M-A

D2
Favorite - Serra
Contenders - Oak Grove, St. Francis, Valley Christian (if D2)

D3
Favorite - Valley Christian (if D3)
Contenders - Palma (Favorite if VC is up), maybe SHP (don't think they can beat a Palma or VC this year)

D4
Favorite - Aptos

D5
Favorite - HMB

I think Aptos and HMB are too well coached and disciplined at those divisions to get beaten at least this year. They'll get challenged by a Carmel, MVC, TKA, PG...but I think Aptos and HMB have to go in as the favorites.

Reactions: GOTF
Looking at the C-Beds you're correct. Looks as though Wilcox, Palo Alto, Los Gatos, and Oak Grove will be the line between D1/D2 for the next few years. Next year's contenders IMO -

D1
Favorite - Bellarmine
Contenders - Milpitas, San Benito, M-A

D2
Favorite - Serra
Contenders - Oak Grove, St. Francis, Valley Christian (if D2)

D3
Favorite - Valley Christian (if D3)
Contenders - Palma (Favorite if VC is up), maybe SHP (don't think they can beat a Palma or VC this year)

D4
Favorite - Aptos

D5
Favorite - HMB

I think Aptos and HMB are too well coached and disciplined at those divisions to get beaten at least this year. They'll get challenged by a Carmel, MVC, TKA, PG...but I think Aptos and HMB have to go in as the favorites.
Now that Serra has been reinstated for playoffs by the CCS, the two bottom teams is the WCAL will be shut out of the playoffs altogether. We can pretty much guarantee Bellarmine, Serra, Valley Christian, St. Francis will make the playoffs. That leaves 4 teams, Mitty, Riordan, SI and SHC, for two spots. My guess is Mitty and Riordan move on and SI and SH miss the playoffs again.

Now that Serra has been reinstated for playoffs by the CCS, the two bottom teams is the WCAL will be shut out of the playoffs altogether. We can pretty much guarantee Bellarmine, Serra, Valley Christian, St. Francis will make the playoffs. That leaves 4 teams, Mitty, Riordan, SI and SHC, for two spots. My guess is Mitty and Riordan move on and SI and SH miss the playoffs again.

I believe you have to finish .500 overall at minimum to be playoff eligible. I don't see any of the bottom 4 beating Bell, Serra, VC or SF, but not many saw Riordan having their season, Mitty beating Bell, etc. That's why they play the games, but I will continue with this exercise:

SI - I don't see them beating MC or Campo in their non-league. I have a 2-8/3-7 season coming.

Mitty - Should beat Aptos and Paly...Have them losing to Pitt. I see them going 5-5 and being a playoff team.

SHC/Riordan - Need to win their non-league then beat SI and each other. Gets them to 5-5 and being a playoff team.

It's good to see Oak Grove up there! I always liked them (i'm a SJS and been following the CCS recently). Hope one day to see them schedule my Vacaviile Bulldogs or Wood Wildcats one day!

I believe you have to finish .500 overall at minimum to be playoff eligible. I don't see any of the bottom 4 beating Bell, Serra, VC or SF, but not many saw Riordan having their season, Mitty beating Bell, etc. That's why they play the games, but I will continue with this exercise:

SI - I don't see them beating MC or Campo in their non-league. I have a 2-8/3-7 season coming.

SHC/Riordan - Need to win their non-league then beat SI and each other. Gets them to 5-5 and being a playoff team.

Irish have to win their pre-season games, beat the other City teams and maybe upset one of the other teams and get a playoff spot. They have a much better opportunity to accomplish as much this season than they have in recent seasons.

Re:
I'l take a stab at some dark horses. Couple of teams to keep an eye on

D3
Terra Nova: The old PAL kings, TN has taken a dip since Coach Gray retired...but they do have quite a bit of talent back and Anthony Gordon (CCSF/Washington State) little brother will be taking over the QB reigns. Open D3 may open up a chance for them to make a run.

TN won't make much noise. They didn't have a very good JV squad and last year's varsity lost to 10,000th-ranked Novato last season. They also gave-up 49 points to Menlo-Atherton. The Arena League attack with no defense isn't working.

Re:
There is usually one surprise team each season such as Oak Grove last season beating 3 WCAL teams in the playoffs. Still trying to figure out who that team will be this season. Anyone else have an idea?

Just one...

Last edited:
So far a number of posters in diferent threads are matching CalPreps/Freeman/MaxPreps projections pretty much down the line. I usually disagree with those web sites to some extent and will do so again this season in upcoming predicts and why. Shd be an interesting season in CCS in what looks like several good programs will resurface and a few others may fade a bit into obscurity for another season. Some very tough pre-season schedules should shed some light early on as to what to expect such as Serra's especially rugged line-up starting with the Spartans.

Good to see some early posts with predictions already and who is expected to make playoffs in various divisions. There is usually one surprise team each season such as Oak Grove last season beating 3 WCAL teams in the playoffs. Still trying to figure out who that team will be this season. Anyone else have an idea?

So far a number of posters in diferent threads are matching CalPreps/Freeman/MaxPreps projections pretty much down the line. I usually disagree with those web sites to some extent and will do so again this season in upcoming predicts and why. Shd be an interesting season in CCS in what looks like several good programs will resurface and a few others may fade a bit into obscurity for another season. Some very tough pre-season schedules should shed some light early on as to what to expect such as Serra's especially rugged line-up starting with the Spartans.

Good to see some early posts with predictions already and who is expected to make playoffs in various divisions. There is usually one surprise team each season such as Oak Grove last season beating 3 WCAL teams in the playoffs. Still trying to figure out who that team will be this season. Anyone else have an idea?

I'l take a stab at some dark horses. Couple of teams to keep an eye on in the 3 Open Divisions -

D1
Menlo-Atherton: Bring back 15+ starters, including a D1 RB. Beat SHP last year and seemed to get better as the year went on under their first year head coach, including being co-league champs. Seems like they have talent and coaching to put together a run.

Salinas/San Benito: I feel like one of these two always makes a run in D1. I'm going to go with Salinas, as San Benito is breaking in a new coach and quite a bit on offense. They do return a really good RB and what should be a stout defense, but Salinas beat them last year. Salinas has a big senior class with quite a few who played varsity as sophomores if I recall.

D2
Los Gatos: OK not really a surprise as they have a history of success, but they lost to SHP in the semi-finals of the Open division in 2014, then got drilled in the first round by VC in 2015. Krail will have his guys ready, and LG is always in the mix, but they have a good QB and quite a few returners back. Offense will be efficient and defense can keep them in games.

Mitty: Taking a shot in the dark here with a WCAL dark horse, but Burns is a good coach who will have their defense competitive. If Philip Tran can develop into a top CCS QB, their spread offense has a chance to give some team some fits to complement what will be a well coached defense.

D3
Terra Nova: The old PAL kings, TN has taken a dip since Coach Gray retired...but they do have quite a bit of talent back and Anthony Gordon (CCSF/Washington State) little brother will be taking over the QB reigns. Open D3 may open up a chance for them to make a run.

Some very good insight shared by ncpfan in several very good posts on this thread. Cannot disagree with anything he's said so far and made some good points re: MA, Mitty & QB Tran as well as TN & upcomer Gordon brother as new QB. Mitty will need to improve their offensive output as they were #6 in WCAL league in points scored - possibly a new approach with Tran airing it out could be the answer.

Oak Grove will be interesting. They will have some young talent on the offensive side of the ball. They need to replace one of the top RB in the section last season in Fontenette. Maurice Washnignton III (6-0, 180) a junior transferred over from Kings Academy and he is going to be very good (Ohio State offered and he is a junior). Oak Grove also has a soph RB Jamar Julien, Jr (5-10, 200) that also could make an impact on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball (his father played at SJSU and NFL Kansas City). His father is considered among OGs best ever RBs. QB McGovern is mobile 9although didn't rush much last season) and looks like he can throw the ball well (1,141 yards and 14 TDs last season). They typically have good LBs on defense and will have a little size on line with one massive 6-6, 300lb OL senior Dillan Misaalefua. Sr Grady Ryan, 6-2, 218, TE/MLB is a very good player on both sides of the ball.

Early non-league games against St Francis and Granite Bay will be great tests to determine how good they are. Not sure if Washington will need to sit out some games due to transfer and is to be determined.

Last edited:
It's good to see Oak Grove up there! I always liked them (i'm a SJS and been following the CCS recently). Hope one day to see them schedule my Vacaviile Bulldogs or Wood Wildcats one day!

Perhaps that could now happen one day. Oak Grove historically never scheduled out-of-section games. Taking on Granite Bay this year is a huge step forward for them. I'm guessing that the experience against Clayton Valley has lead them to realize that they need to expand their horizons in order to compete at a state level.

I'm sure the reason this game is happening is because Granite Bay head coach Jeff Evans is an Oak Grove alum

I'm sure the reason this game is happening is because Granite Bay head coach Jeff Evans is an Oak Grove alum

This may have played a role, but I doubt that other OG alumni haven't gone on to coach somewhere else yet those games never materialized.

This may have played a role, but I doubt that other OG alumni haven't gone on to coach somewhere else yet those games never materialized.

My brothers kids all attended and played at Oak Grove in the nineties and I don't know of any other OG alum that have gone on to coaching at the high school level. It's entirely possible there are others besides Evans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT